• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is working till old age a bad idea?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wish to work for as long as I am healthy and strong enough. Going out to meet people, exchange ideas and views, talk, joke, maybe even argue if it doesn't distract us from what needs to be done. Meeting people of different cultures, religious beliefs, tastes, etc. It is a colourful and diverse world we live in, and I will be denying this chance if I stay home all day.

Cheers!

You?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I think you are fortunate. Those who can retire at an early age, it will be less stressful during the retirement years. But i feel not everyone has it as good. There is a need to cater to the group who still need that job to either occupy their time (lack of hobbies) or for a decent sum of salary to get by.

I'm not fortunate. I planned it that way. There is no reason why anyone who does the same cannot achieve the same result.

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wish to work for as long as I am healthy and strong enough. Going out to meet people, exchange ideas and views, talk, joke, maybe even argue if it doesn't distract us from what needs to be done. Meeting people of different cultures, religious beliefs, tastes, etc. It is a colourful and diverse world we live in, and I will be denying this chance if I stay home all day.

Cheers!

Interesting thoughts! Do you think you can achieve all these without having to actually work? Why would you choose to work?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suppose retirement has different meaning to different people. My father retired when he turned 55 long ago, but went back to work because he couldn't stand staying at home. Fortunately, his boss took him back and he returned to work (in a different position). Myself, I still need to work for a living and other expenses for my family. However, I hope to work for as long as I am able to.

Cheers!

Retirement does not mean staying at home the whole day. It simply means you don't have to work for a living.

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not fortunate. I planned it that way. There is no reason why anyone who does the same cannot achieve the same result.

Do you believe in this -Everyone is given the same opportunity to do well so there is no reason for failure.

I think there is some truth in what you said but i'm not so sure if everyone would have achieved the same result if they followed your path. Reason being, everyone has different habits, personalities, past lives (some may argue about this), family background, learning abilities etc. So while everyone may be given the same opportunity and still make the best out of it, i think it may not always guarantee the same results. And for that, shouldn't a caring society always remember to look out for those in the average/lower-income group who still need to work even in their 50s/60s for whatever reasons?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
so is this a good investment ?

http://fortunegodishere.com/index.html

any advise/ advice?

dot come business - video editing

I honestly have no idea. I've never put a cent into enterprises started by other people because I have absolutely no control over what other people do.

I invested money in my own ideas and projects for the simple reason that I trust myself 100% and I agree with everything that I do.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
your father is a lucky man or not?

Did he missed the block up date fucking PAP stop his CPF @55?

I suppose retirement has different meaning to different people. My father retired when he turned 55 long ago, but went back to work because he couldn't stand staying at home. Fortunately, his boss took him back and he returned to work (in a different position). Myself, I still need to work for a living and other expenses for my family. However, I hope to work for as long as I am able to.

Cheers!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you believe in this -Everyone is given the same opportunity to do well so there is no reason for failure.

Rubbish. Is a child born in sub-Saharan Africa given the same opportunity as a white child born in Boston, even if both have roughly the same IQ and same set of innate talents?

Is the son of a hawker (my primary schoolmate) who had to help out at his father's fishball noodles stall every day after school given the same opportunity as Lee Hsien Yang?

If your answer is yes, you must be living in Mars. Or Venus.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

I wasn't given any opportunities that were not available to others and everyone fails along the way. Very few people come up with winners from their very first venture. My failures delayed my plans for a few years.

I succeeded in the end because I had a goal and I worked steadfastly towards achieving it. Anyone can do that.

My main regret is aiming too low.

Do you have a target to achieve financial independence by a certain age? Please advise.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
if Bill Gates, unknown friend or one of your friend's friend, ask you to invest will you trust him?

I am sure to expand your biz you also have to sell your wares, you don't has much spare change unless you strike lottery, big one.

I honestly have no idea. I've never put a cent into enterprises started by other people because I have absolutely no control over what other people do.

I invested money in my own ideas and projects for the simple reason that I trust myself 100% and I agree with everything that I do.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my present work, I am here because I wanted to visit PRC, and South-East Asian countries. My company sends to me to these countries a couple of times a year. It is not a holiday trip and I have a schedule to maintain, but at least I get to see some of these places, taste the local cuisine, and it is all expensed officially and not from my own finances. I chose this work because I started this career in my work life earlier. Workwise, I wished I was doing something else, but alas I studied engineering, which was my parent's choice. I was much younger when I entered university and the events in my life obliged me to comply with my parent's wish. If I had if my own way, I would've have majored in journalism and won't even be in this line (technical sales) now.

Cheers!

Interesting thoughts! Do you think you can achieve all these without having to actually work? Why would you choose to work?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Is the son of a hawker (my primary schoolmate) who had to help out at his father's fishball noodles stall every day after school given the same opportunity as Lee Hsien Yang?

I don't know what Lee Hsien Yang's net worth is but I have a classmate who was the son of a hawker who is now very wealthy.

Helping out at his dad's hawker stall in his formative years taught him the value of hard work and thrift. Had he been the son of a wealthy man, he might well have ended up being a useless bum.

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wasn't given any opportunities that were not available to others and everyone fails along the way. Very few people come up with winners from their very first venture. My failures delayed my plans for a few years.

I succeeded in the end because I had a goal and I worked steadfastly towards achieving it. Anyone can do that.

My main regret is aiming too low.

Do you have a target to achieve financial independence by a certain age? Please advise.

Not really, i have a target to save as much as i can. But i can relate to what Agoraphobic said. You can have certain forumla for success but it won't always work for everyone. Like mentioned, everyone is special and different. So, good for those who can take care of themselves in their retirement years - travel, do special projects etc. But not everyone can do the same. It's too logical. In theory, it sounds possible. In reality, like what agoraphobic said, there are matured workers out there who feel empty without work so they like to go back to the workforce but take on lesser work.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
if Bill Gates, unknown friend or one of your friend's friend, ask you to invest will you trust him?

I am sure to expand your biz you also have to sell your wares, you don't has much spare change unless you strike lottery, big one.

Hindsight is always 20/20. If I'd known that shares in microsoft, google, facebook etc were going to make me millions, of course I would have invested. However, before it happened, I would have had no idea whether the company was going to boom or go belly up.

I expanded my business by growing my revenue and achieving a steady income stream. This added value to the business to the point where I could sell it to someone else at a good profit.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
This happened a long time ago, my father has since then actually retired. He was an admin clerk in the civil service, he went back as a logistic assistant (back then, they called it warehouse clerk). I never discussed politics with my dad, but being in the civil service, I think he'd likely have casted his vote for you know who.

Cheers!

your father is a lucky man or not?

Did he missed the block up date fucking PAP stop his CPF @55?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
But I believe in one thing - association and a bit of luck or lucky 天意, not lottery luck type though it would be nice.

I believe in fate like someone saw you and ask you to follow him, or are in trouble and you are somehow was there and help him out, and this can happen at any age but it would be nice if it happens when you are younger.

Then with a bit of shrewed, cunning, look and streetwise wisdom, you worked your way up or even married the boss daughter.

There is always a cross road that takes you from nothing to something and doesn't have to be in a rich place or in a slump area.

I think this is call 天意 or 人算不如天算。

Rubbish. Is a child born in sub-Saharan Africa given the same opportunity as a white child born in Boston, even if both have roughly the same IQ and same set of innate talents?

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't know what Lee Hsien Yang's net worth is but I have a classmate who was the son of a hawker who is now very wealthy.

Helping out at his dad's hawker stall in his formative years taught him the value of hard work and thrift. Had he been the son of a wealthy man, he might well have ended up being a useless bum.

Good on him. My friend did all right, not very wealthy but an independent professional, by dint of hard work and intelligence.

But he still says that he'd have been way more successful if he had the connections, start-up capital and business know-how his wealthier classmates had.

There's never true equality of opportunity anywhere, but it's a lot worse in very unequal neo-liberal societies like Singapore.