• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is there Chinese privilege in Singapore?

Voldermort

Alfrescian
Loyal
In his annual National Day speech, Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said claims that there is Chinese privilege in Singapore are entirely baseless.

This is important as the prime minister’s rally speech is keenly followed and the topic of Chinese privilege — which is effectively the idea that Chinese Singaporeans enjoy some benefits that minority Singaporeans do not — has been widely discussed for some years.

To make his point, PM Lee offered the fact that English (as opposed to Mandarin) is Singapore’s lingua franca as an example of a concession granted by the Chinese to the minorities.

But this makes very little sense as Mandarin was never the governing language of Singapore. The DNA of this country’s legal, business and education system has always been English.

It was also in English that many of Singapore’s founding ruling class — including the prime minister’s father and our modern nation’s founder Lee Kuan Yew — preferred to communicate

So, Chinese was never really on the table as a foundational lingua franca; so how can a concession ever have been given in this regard?

The very idea that this is a concession is also somewhat troubling. A concession is typically something that can be taken away – so does that mean Singapore might one day change course when the Chinese majority tires of its concession and we will become a Chinese-speaking nation?

Hard to imagine. Because of course, our extensive use of English has also proved to be hugely economically beneficial.

Secondly and even more confusingly, the prime minister in his own speech went on to state quite clearly that minorities in the country continue to face genuine instances of discrimination.

He gave the example of housing and employment where there is often a preference for Chinese over minorities. These are not minor issues; housing and employment are fundamental to virtually everyone’s life so if minorities face disadvantages in these areas, how can we say talk of Chinese privilege is baseless?

Perhaps, the prime minister meant to say that not all the Chinese in Singapore are privileged.

A lot more at https://tinyurI.com/ea35v752

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is certainly no privileges for the Chinese race here in SG... I give 101% my assurance!
Or can anyone named what privileges the Chinese have over others in SG?

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinese privilege is a right since cina is the majority race. Go and check on Mudland, they too have m&d privilege. Let us accept this and move on.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinese privilege is a right since cina is the majority race. Go and check on Mudland, they too have m&d privilege. Let us accept this and move on.
But the constitution says only Malays should get privileges. So being president should be a mslay privilege l9ng neglected by PAP which not only deny malay right, but never bothered to implement the privileges.

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
But the constitution says only Malays should get privileges. So being president should be a mslay privilege l9ng neglected by PAP which not only deny malay right, but never bothered to implement the privileges.
Constitution also say Sinkieland is a democratic society. Does PAP give a fuck? Constitution never say we should have a m&d president, so what ? can change any time? What about GRC? and so on.

Untouchable

Alfrescian
Loyal
During my primary and secondary schools, I paid full amount for my monthly skool fees, but my Malay fiends paid as little as half of the stated skool fees, why like that?

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
During my primary and secondary schools, I paid full amount for my monthly skool fees, but my Malay fiends paid as little as half of the stated skool fees, why like that?
In the first place, school fees should be free for all. In the west, some countries provide free meals.

ChenHaoNan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would say in Singapore it is Chinese majority but minority privilege hence the number of token ministers, scholars, senior civil servants etc for the sake of equal representation and racial harmony.

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the first place, school fees should be free for all. In the west, some countries provide free meals.
Nothing is free. It has to come from somewhere. Government is not a profit center, it is a cost center. The government gets its money from taxpayers like you and me. So, if you want free stuff, you will have to pay and how it is being distributed is not controlled by us, it is by the government. You trust the government to distribute your money?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It Chinese privilege to serve in chiong sau in combat vocations while Malays no need to serve or at most enlist in home team.
it a Chinese privilege to give up on non halal food in company events because Malays colleague can only eat halal food.
it a Chinese privilege to have training during NS while Malays attend prayers on Friday noon.
it a Chinese students privilege to have extra lessons at 1pm on Friday while malay students come to class at 2pm during afternoon season because they can “go” to mosques for prayer or Chinese students have lessons till 1pm while Malays can leave at 12.20pm for morning session.