• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Parliamentary Debate a waste of time & resources?

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
So the Finance Minister has spent time and energy to verbalise the government budget in Parliament which is published online or already sent to all mass media in PDF format - with FAQs to boot - with the usual embargo deadline. IT savvy and literate Singaporeans can easily read them if they are interested.

No matter how much the Finance Minister explains - those who are converts will readily agree, while those who are non-converts will always remain non-convertible. So what if WP Low asked a cutting question, or made an insightful speech in Mandarin or Teochew? So what if the Celebrity MP Mao made a colourful inspirational speech. Shakespeare will say, it's simply "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". At the end of the day, all the bills will be passed, and the annual budget approved - and all will be quiet till the next election four or five years later. Isn't it a waste of time?

The opposition will simply oppose whatever is proposed by the ruling party - their guiding principle is "opposition for opposition sake". The government has already made up its mind; decisions already made.

Bottomline : Let the ruling party govern the country mandated by the people through the election. Wiseman Senior Lee used to say (non-verbatim) - the people have a choice. Vote us out in five years if we are no good. But the people are pragmatic and practical, they have consistently voted for the best party to rule the country since independence. And they are always proven right.

Last edited:

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stephanie myo539 Chia! And I was wondering where all the barking sounds in this website were coming from this morning! Don't forget to brush your teeth. MIW dicks are really dirty. I don't think you are game for lunch, are you? Not with your stomach full of "White" cum! Fucking bitch!

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
not really, thanks, I will pass

That's the point. Citizens will be interested only in what goes directly into their pockets. Who is interested in watching parliamentary debates?

That pariah Debonerman will puke out "yi kong si me lan cheow hah?"

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Who is interested in watching parliamentary debates?

me interested :smile::smile::smile:
the policies crafted affects me life as a Citizen directly.
besides, me like to look at the different points of view put forth, very enriching, very humbling too :p:p:p

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
me interested :smile::smile::smile:the policies crafted affects me life as a Citizen directly.
besides, me like to look at the different points of view put forth, very enriching, very humbling too :p:p:p

Good for you. The "wayang" will end before you finish your bowl of noodle. At the end of the day, what do they achieve? The budget will pass.

So what if MP Low managed to make a point, and Celebrity MP Mao managed to make an impression? If it is a "victory", it is a hollow one. The next election the citizens will yet again vote the pragmatic PAP to look after the country for all - as sure as the Sun will rise in the East.

"fully of sound and fury" - a tale told by an idiot! (Shakespeare says hor, not me)

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The budget will pass.

you're absolutely right to say that the budget will pass, with over 90% of the Parliamentary seats in their hands and bills don't pass, me worry.

as of the results of the next GE, even having made an accurate prediction in PE'11, me not as bold to make the predictions now :p:p:p

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
you're absolutely right to say that the budget will pass, with over 90% of the Parliamentary seats in their hands and bills don't pass, me worry.

as of the results of the next GE, even having made an accurate prediction in PE'11, me not as bold to make the predictions now :p:p:p

With all the uncertainties in Europe and other economic especially energy problem in the world, Singaporeans would be so foolish to vote for a party where their elected MP can simply disappear nowhere overnight. It's suicidal! In think all our national reserves can easily disappear overnight too!

Investors pour in billions of dollars because of our political stability and attractive economic opportunities, and of course our reputation of a clean government. They don't come here because they love the WP or SDP - all practical and pragmatic Singaporeans remember that.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
think all our national reserves can easily disappear overnight too!

some 20 years have passed since the late President Ong asked about our national reserves, do we still need another 32 man years to find out?

try harder :smile: