• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Hyundai a good car?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
K9 the front grill looks like Beemer eh?

K9-1.jpg

Kia nose grill very distinctive, thats why I love Kia very much

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i30 is a chio car, I like, but I prefer Ceed :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It is worth considering the upcoming dynamic Koreans then with tired stubborn Japs.

In the past, a Kia insider used to tell me that they know what is good for cars, but they have no money for R&D and customers do not want to pay top dollar because of Korean car cheap image problem. They hace to drop prices and offer big discounts.

But if you look at the Hyundai/Kia annual reports or even the sales brochures in 2006 onwards, R&D took high priority and German design became important. Toyota then CEO made that famous "Giant H in his rear-view mirror" comment.

That is when I start thinking that Hyundai, short of any missteps like quality issue/mass recalls, will be a brand to watch out for in the coming years.

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is worth considering the upcoming dynamic Koreans then with tired stubborn Japs.

In the past, a Kia insider used to tell me that they know what is good for cars, but they have no money for R&D and customers do not want to pay top dollar because of Korean car cheap image problem. They hace to drop prices and offer big discounts.

But if you look at the Hyundai/Kia annual reports or even the sales brochures in 2006 onwards, R&D took high priority and German design became important. Toyota then CEO made that famous "Giant H in his rear-view mirror" comment.

That is when I start thinking that Hyundai, short of any missteps like quality issue/mass recalls, will be a brand to watch out for in the coming years.

I agree with you :smile:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Were the Germans caught unaware by Hyundai?
They are not the only ones.

The CEO is an engineer and when he starts measuring stuff and call in the design manager you know that something is up.

VW will be buying i30s to learn from the Korean talented engineers!

Volkswagen CEO Gets Upset Over Hyundai Build Quality
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/vw-martin-winterkorn-hyundai-i30-frankfurt-iaa-2011,news-12669.html

Winterkorn: "Bischoff, wo ist der Bischoff? {...} Da scheppert nichts! {...} Warum kann es der? BMW kann es nicht. Wir können es nicht... Kein Scheppern!"
Voice Off-camera: "Wir hatten ja mal eine Lösung gehabt, das war zu teuer {...}"

Translation
WINTERKORN: "Bischoff, where is Bischoff? {...} There is no clanging! Why can they do it? BMW can't do it, we can't do it... No clanging!"
Voice Off-camera: "We once had a solution, but it was too expansive then {...}"

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Found the German car news about this rivalry.

http://www.gjermundsen.no/VW-s-greatest-fear-isn-t-Toyota-it-s-Hyundai
VW's greatest fear isn't Toyota, it's Hyundai

Volkswagen is just as concerned about what's in its rear-view mirror as what is ahead in its quest to become the world's biggest automaker. The German giant, which aims to topple Toyota from its No. 1 spot, sees Korea's Hyundai-Kia group as a bigger rival than the struggling Japanese company.

"I have the most respect for Hyundai," VW CEO Martin Winterkorn told the German news magazine Focus, naming Hyundai's improved quality and the weakness of the Korean currency as reasons why Hyundai is on his mind. "Hyundai has now learned how to build good cars," added Winterkorn.
His comments didn't surprise industry watchers.

"He's right," said Stefan Bratzel, who heads an automotive research center at the Bergisch Gladbach University of Applied Sciences in Germany.

"Hyundai has enjoyed enormous growth in sales and profitability in recent years. Toyota should not be forgotten but Hyundai is a very serious rival..."

Bratzel said Hyundai is strong in Asia, especially in India where it is the No. 2 automaker after Suzuki with a 16 percent market share, and in China, where the Korean company is enjoying fast growth.

IHS Automotive auto analyst Ian Fletcher said Hyundai and Kia can now match Japanese automakers for quality. "They are not just building cheap cars. They are building cheap, good cars," he said.

Hyundai has boosted sales in North America with innovative sales methods, Fletcher said, and its new Sonata sedan is doing well in the United States against Toyota's Camry and Honda's Accord.

In Europe, the Korean automaker benefited enormously from government scrappage incentives, which many consumers used to buy cheap, small cars such as the Hyundai i10.

"The only thing that lets them down is their brand image. Hyundai is not yet established as a respectable brand," Fletcher said...

Respectability could become less of a problem for Hyundai following Winterkorn's comments.

Last edited:

Peiweh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Korean cars are doing well in Oz,,,,as the design nicer and more gadgets and options, however the price is not super reasonable. As Korean cars have become more expensive. For the 'extended' warranty I think have to purchase it at the time of purchasing the vehicle. And Korean cars give 5 year warranty (subject to strict conditions). Jap cars in general have 3 year warranty.

Also, the common korean cars, like RIO, I20 etc are used as fleet vehicles by rental companies, so after 1 year they are sold off to the public,,and the price is cut alot. So if u buy lets say a RIO brand new,,after 1 year,,u will be competing to sell it with those car rental companies,,so that is why many will buy those ex rentals at a cheaper price.

But now in Perth, I realised that small cars are more expensive than the traditional Oz big cars (falcons and Commodores) as the depreciation is damn bad for big cars due to the higher running cost as fuel is very expensive now. Demand for resale small cars are also damn high due to high fuel costs too. I have seen a 5 yo 20K suzuki swift being sold for about 10k to 12K after 5 years. that means cost of ownership is about 2K per year. Which is a very fair price.

So many now are buying brand new cars,,than sell it off after 5 years when warranty etc is over and than get another car again. Perth is a very car dependent city,,no car is like no legs.

And think about it... lets say if you buy a 10 year old camry,,for 5 to 7 K AUD,,and drive for 1 year. on the 2nd year,,if the car break down even once, you are basically screwed. as the repair job is surely about 1k. When I was a student and bought a 'cheap expensive bomb'. It broke down on me twice and I owned the car for 3 years. With the repair cost etc + time lost going to work shop etc..I was better off with a near new car for 15K, selling it off after 3 years for 9K (Whereby the age of the car will be 4-5 years) than getting a cheap car and paying for repairs.

New sorrento is about 40K AUD

Just my rants...

yes cant believe how far the koreans have come. sat in an optima the other day and thats alot of car for the money. sorrento looks like a big bang for your dollar too at about 20k usd.

i think things here are different. a used car and even a breakdown is usually cheaper than the depreciation on a new car. when you drive a new car off the dealer lot you loose about 20% that day.

curious, on a reliable jap/korean car are breakdowns common?

what makes you say its 1k on any repair?

even new cars need tires, brakes, rotors, filters, etc

so just trying to understand the figures never seen new cars cheaper than used ones

Peiweh

Alfrescian
Loyal
5 year warranty + capped servicing here.

USA is able to offer 10 year warranty + roadside assist because it is a large market with lower cost.

OZ Resale values for Kia is lower then Hyundai even when both are based on the same platform, engine, etc.

Moreover, Australia is a small market for Hyundai but the company is willing to put up more models including European i-series in Australia because it is earning a better margin compared to US.

How is the fiscal cliff in the US? Any resolution yet? That stupid president of you want to increase tax :biggrin:
Ouch!
As a reserved currency, I think it is cheaper to print money and live on debts and lower wages. :biggrin:

Neddy, it seems people are scared of repair costs down under! Here we call the dealership the stealership because they charge ALOT more in labor and parts. When those 5 year warranties run out those people who are very busy, or dont know anything about cars sometimes purchase another 1-3 year warranty from the dealer that covers everything except wear and tear items. But is it worth it?

I've bought new here and never will again because you can usually get excellent deals on better cars that someone else has paid a high cost for. We have mobile mechanics and my garage charges me 60 USD for jobs that take 1-2 hours and 50 USD for anything over 2 hours. Parts are available online or in local shops like autozone that will, if your check engine light goes on, scan your car for free and sell you the parts to fix. If you need a new battery they will change it. An oil change costs 20 usd at jiffy lube. if i need tires i go to tirerack.com and buy.

I find it strange buying new can be cheaper than buying used. Lets say you wanted to buy a higher end car, I am sure there are mechanics there you can find that will work with you and you can get cheap parts shipped there on amazon. Or you could stick with the Hyundai but if you like driving nice cars this is how they do it here. I have 4 cars for me and my wife

Our President wants to raise taxes on those earning more than US$ 450,000 and keep taxes the same on everyone else. Since the Republicans control the house they say no way. Not even on those earning 1 million per year. People will remember this during mid term elections in 2014 and vote out the tea party because most people support tax increases on the rich. In the meantime its a mess.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Neddy, it seems people are scared of repair costs down under! Here we call the dealership the stealership because they charge ALOT more in labor and parts. When those 5 year warranties run out those people who are very busy, or dont know anything about cars sometimes purchase another 1-3 year warranty from the dealer that covers everything except wear and tear items. But is it worth it?

'

Our President wants to raise taxes on those earning more than US$ 450,000 and keep taxes the same on everyone else. Since the Republicans control the house they say no way. Not even on those earning 1 million per year. People will remember this during mid term elections in 2014 and vote out the tea party because most people support tax increases on the rich. In the meantime its a mess.

So far, we only go back to dealer if they offer a capped servicing cost.

GM Holden and Ford dealers are notorious for charging full servicing cost while not doing the job.
A Honda dealer (Osborne Park) charge too many unnecessary extras and tell people that outside mechanics cannot servicing Honda properly.
Toyota offers capped service, but the sales force is crapped.

As for US, the cliff is over. The cash for clanker is over. What's next.
Better buy a car made in the southern states than from Detroit?

US bad news is no good for us. AUD is never meant to be stronger than USD.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U can go have a look at the price of 2nd hand small in demand cars,,they do not depreciate much as in perth these cars are damn popular due to the high fuel prices,,if u buy a new commodore or falcon,,than u will see the price depreciate,,furthermore its a peace of mind,,,u get 5 year warranty,,,Look at the toyota yaris,,,brand new,,or u get a demo car...about 20K...5 years later,,sell for about 14K,,,6-7 grand cost in 5 years with new car warranty..no good meh?

and in AUst,,repairs etc not cheap hor,,,mechanic charge AUD100/ hr on labour,,have not even count parts yet,,the 1K very easy to hit one hor,,,,

yes cant believe how far the koreans have come. sat in an optima the other day and thats alot of car for the money. sorrento looks like a big bang for your dollar too at about 20k usd.

i think things here are different. a used car and even a breakdown is usually cheaper than the depreciation on a new car. when you drive a new car off the dealer lot you loose about 20% that day.

curious, on a reliable jap/korean car are breakdowns common?

what makes you say its 1k on any repair?

even new cars need tires, brakes, rotors, filters, etc

so just trying to understand the figures never seen new cars cheaper than used ones

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ned,,u are wise to say that,,but many aussies have their head in the clouds, think that Oz is the best place and they have 'beaten' the USA..I dont think so,,and about the fiscal cliff,,have not the world KPKB about USA deficit,?? with the fiscal cliff,,,cut spending and raise taxes,,surely the deficit will be addressed,,so KPKB for what?? But we all know if USA dont consume and europe is shit,,all the policies they have come out with are just kicking the can down the road,,wont solve anything,,in 5 years time,,we will still be in this economic uncertainty,,

The other good news I see is that USA will be oil sufficient in 5 years or less due to the shale oil thing,,if that happens,,USA wont have such a huge capital outflow to buy foreign oil,,,so demand for foreign currency will drop,, and USA can export more oil to earn revenue,,they will be the next Saudi Arabia,,,no good meh? This is damn important as the US military alone is the worlds 10th?? largest oil consumer,,,that is just the military alone,,,if they dont buy foreign oil they will save heaps,,and please,,oil will still be in demand when I am 6ft under,,,demand for oil will never end,,,green technologies will reduce the demand,,but with the increasing world popn,,the demand will still be there,,,
And for the Hyundais in the USA,.,arent they all assembled in the USA and not imported?

Just my rants,,,

So far, we only go back to dealer if they offer a capped servicing cost.

GM Holden and Ford dealers are notorious for charging full servicing cost while not doing the job.
A Honda dealer (Osborne Park) charge too many unnecessary extras and tell people that outside mechanics cannot servicing Honda properly.
Toyota offers capped service, but the sales force is crapped.

As for US, the cliff is over. The cash for clanker is over. What's next.
Better buy a car made in the southern states than from Detroit?

US bad news is no good for us. AUD is never meant to be stronger than USD.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Peiweh ah,,,USA is damn different for Oz land hor,,,your mechanic damn cheap hor,,in AUst can get that sort of price? Normal service here agar agar about $150..I said earlier,,they charge by the hour,,and 1 hr is $100.00, Can Neddy confirm this? USA is much cheaper than Oz,,so much so that many yanks and Ozzies who earn their money is going back to yankeeland,,

U have to come to Oz especially Perth to see the cost of living pressures we face,,,,

I've bought new here and never will again because you can usually get excellent deals on better cars that someone else has paid a high cost for. We have mobile mechanics and my garage charges me 60 USD for jobs that take 1-2 hours and 50 USD for anything over 2 hours. Parts are available online or in local shops like autozone that will, if your check engine light goes on, scan your car for free and sell you the parts to fix. If you need a new battery they will change it. An oil change costs 20 usd at jiffy lube. if i need tires i go to tirerack.com and buy.

I find it strange buying new can be cheaper than buying used. Lets say you wanted to buy a higher end car, I am sure there are mechanics there you can find that will work with you and you can get cheap parts shipped there on amazon. Or you could stick with the Hyundai but if you like driving nice cars this is how they do it here. I have 4 cars for me and my wife

[/U]

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.I said earlier,,they charge by the hour,,and 1 hr is $100.00, Can Neddy confirm this? USA is much cheaper than Oz,,so much so that many yanks and Ozzies who earn their money is going back to yankeeland,,

U have to come to Oz especially Perth to see the cost of living pressures we face,,,,

[/U]

I think the franchised workshop (Auto master, Ultratune, etc) charges starts from $70. Some Hongkong and Indian migrants independent mechanics charge cheaper because their clients do not want to pay BMW rates.

eg. http://www.m1motors.com.au/index.php/bmw-mini-special

Inspection 1 Service ($198) includes:
Oil Change with BMW Recommended Castrol Engine Oil
Oil Filter Replacement
Microfilter Replacement
Inspection - Suspension Steering Tyre
Complete Electronic Vehicle Check

An Inspection 2 Service ($400*) includes:
All Of Inspecion 1 Items Plus
Air Filter Replacement
Spark Plugs Replacement

Other Items:
Brake Fluid Flush ($55)
Coolant Flush ($55)

* Prices for Inspection 2 are for 4 Cylinder Engines Only
* 6 Cylinder Engine is Additional $100 above stated price.
* 8 Cylinder Engine is Additional $200 above stated price.

We are living in disturbing times, with crazy "leaders" saving the rich and leaving us to starve. The only reason why OZ is not in a mess compared to US, UK/Europe and Japan is that there are still sensible people out there. But the Gillard govt is trying to replace these good people with their "crazy" ones. Liberals will be no better under Tony.

The only good investment last year is the Aussie shares, earning me 12%. My Super 10%.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok so can still get a cheaper deal,,but must search around,,also I find parts here not cheap too,,,and thanks for the advise on the Dealer maintainance etc...must look for cap price servicing now,,,,

I think the franchised workshop (Auto master, Ultratune, etc) charges starts from $70. Some Hongkong and Indian migrants independent mechanics charge cheaper because their clients do not want to pay BMW rates.

eg. http://www.m1motors.com.au/index.php/bmw-mini-special

Inspection 1 Service ($198) includes:
Oil Change with BMW Recommended Castrol Engine Oil
Oil Filter Replacement
Microfilter Replacement
Inspection - Suspension Steering Tyre
Complete Electronic Vehicle Check

An Inspection 2 Service ($400*) includes:
All Of Inspecion 1 Items Plus
Air Filter Replacement
Spark Plugs Replacement

Other Items:
Brake Fluid Flush ($55)
Coolant Flush ($55)

* Prices for Inspection 2 are for 4 Cylinder Engines Only
* 6 Cylinder Engine is Additional $100 above stated price.
* 8 Cylinder Engine is Additional $200 above stated price.

We are living in disturbing times, with crazy "leaders" saving the rich and leaving us to starve. The only reason why OZ is not in a mess compared to US, UK/Europe and Japan is that there are still sensible people out there. But the Gillard govt is trying to replace these good people with their "crazy" ones. Liberals will be no better under Tony.

The only good investment last year is the Aussie shares, earning me 12%. My Super 10%.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok so can still get a cheaper deal,,but must search around,,also I find parts here not cheap too,,,and thanks for the advise on the Dealer maintainance etc...must look for cap price servicing now,,,,

It pays to look around and have a regular mechanic.

The franchised workshops are now suffering from manpower loss because the young people are going to the mines to work. The ones left behind are the old birds and the apprentices.

Yes, they charge $70 per hour labour.

Some people source parts from ebay, if you can trust the merchants to offer genuine parts.

Toyota is the first to offer capped servicing.
Eg Corolla is capped at $130.
https://www.toyota.com.au/owners/service/service-advantage/eligible-vehicle

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CW_MkzOHdQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest on Sorento

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Too be really honest...Korean cars now are increasing in price (in Oz) and design very the stylo,,but the car technology and the make is still not there,,,I dont find the engine efficient and driving experience only so so,,,also heard the quality etc is still not on par with the Japs,,just that their hatchback designs are good,,and now in oz,,hatchbacks are the way to go,,,Japanese hatchback design very the dated,,,

so to me,,korean car is nice to see,,but the eating is only so so,,,the price also very close to Jap cars,,,and wat is worse is in oz,,many of the korean cars are fleet rental vehicles,,after 1 year,,they are sold off cheap,,,so if u buy brand new,,the depreciation is worse,,,,so for korean cars,,i wont get brand new,,but those ex rental,,,,cheaper and depreciated oreadi,,just my rants

and isnt Jaguar own by Indians now?? so basically Korean copy indian design,,,,
bloody hell korean copy cat!!

Jaguar_XJ_X351.jpg

Last edited: