• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Hyundai a good car?

Peiweh

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have a point about handcrafts.

Still, Aussie olive oils better than Italian oils.

Over here in the states people go back to the dealership and get extended warranties on cars when they run out. They dont have them in Australia?

Korean cars have overtaken the Jap cars here. Hyundai used to be the top choice but now its the Kia Optima and the Sorrento SUV. For the money you just cant beat an Optima sedan or a Sorrento SUV. Incredible value for what you pay. How much is a Sorrento there?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Neddy if you plan to get a diesel car please be aware of this problem. Unless you are willing to drive over long distances on a regular basis. Get the petrol one instead.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Hey Neddy,

if u are going for an SUV,,try to get diesel engine as the torque is important and more fuel efficient and the engine is tougher too,,,but diesels must maintain properly,,which is no probs for u,,,I think the VW toureg with diesel engine is a good bet,,engine damn power man,,,

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Korean cars are doing well in Oz,,,,as the design nicer and more gadgets and options, however the price is not super reasonable. As Korean cars have become more expensive. For the 'extended' warranty I think have to purchase it at the time of purchasing the vehicle. And Korean cars give 5 year warranty (subject to strict conditions). Jap cars in general have 3 year warranty.

Also, the common korean cars, like RIO, I20 etc are used as fleet vehicles by rental companies, so after 1 year they are sold off to the public,,and the price is cut alot. So if u buy lets say a RIO brand new,,after 1 year,,u will be competing to sell it with those car rental companies,,so that is why many will buy those ex rentals at a cheaper price.

But now in Perth, I realised that small cars are more expensive than the traditional Oz big cars (falcons and Commodores) as the depreciation is damn bad for big cars due to the higher running cost as fuel is very expensive now. Demand for resale small cars are also damn high due to high fuel costs too. I have seen a 5 yo 20K suzuki swift being sold for about 10k to 12K after 5 years. that means cost of ownership is about 2K per year. Which is a very fair price.

So many now are buying brand new cars,,than sell it off after 5 years when warranty etc is over and than get another car again. Perth is a very car dependent city,,no car is like no legs.

And think about it... lets say if you buy a 10 year old camry,,for 5 to 7 K AUD,,and drive for 1 year. on the 2nd year,,if the car break down even once, you are basically screwed. as the repair job is surely about 1k. When I was a student and bought a 'cheap expensive bomb'. It broke down on me twice and I owned the car for 3 years. With the repair cost etc + time lost going to work shop etc..I was better off with a near new car for 15K, selling it off after 3 years for 9K (Whereby the age of the car will be 4-5 years) than getting a cheap car and paying for repairs.

New sorrento is about 40K AUD

Just my rants...

Over here in the states people go back to the dealership and get extended warranties on cars when they run out. They dont have them in Australia?

Korean cars have overtaken the Jap cars here. Hyundai used to be the top choice but now its the Kia Optima and the Sorrento SUV. For the money you just cant beat an Optima sedan or a Sorrento SUV. Incredible value for what you pay. How much is a Sorrento there?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, many people don't realised the benefit of having a new car. Its not only the warranty its also the psychological factor as well.

And think about it... lets say if you buy a 10 year old camry,,for 5 to 7 K AUD,,and drive for 1 year. on the 2nd year,,if the car break down even once, you are basically screwed. as the repair job is surely about 1k. When I was a student and bought a 'cheap expensive bomb'. It broke down on me twice and I owned the car for 3 years. With the repair cost etc + time lost going to work shop etc..I was better off with a near new car for 15K, selling it off after 3 years for 9K (Whereby the age of the car will be 4-5 years) than getting a cheap car and paying for repairs.

New sorrento is about 40K AUD

Just my rants...

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5 year warranty + capped servicing here.

USA is able to offer 10 year warranty + roadside assist because it is a large market with lower cost.

OZ Resale values for Kia is lower then Hyundai even when both are based on the same platform, engine, etc.

Moreover, Australia is a small market for Hyundai but the company is willing to put up more models including European i-series in Australia because it is earning a better margin compared to US.

How is the fiscal cliff in the US? Any resolution yet? That stupid president of you want to increase tax :biggrin:
Ouch!
As a reserved currency, I think it is cheaper to print money and live on debts and lower wages. :biggrin:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks Ash,,but this New Car Theory only work for new small in demand cars,(hatch backs),,does not work for the falcons and commodores as they chew fuel like no tomorrow and there is a limit to carry capacity as sedans are really not meant to carry stuff. Also demand for falcons and commodores are decreasing due to high fuel cost,,,so depreciation and lack of demand will stifle the car on the resale market.

Indeed, many people don't realised the benefit of having a new car. Its not only the warranty its also the psychological factor as well.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, or high end cars. Always buy the cheapest, like great wall, or the more upmarket cars.

Thanks Ash,,but this New Car Theory only work for new small in demand cars,(hatch backs),,does not work for the falcons and commodores as they chew fuel like no tomorrow and there is a limit to carry capacity as sedans are really not meant to carry stuff. Also demand for falcons and commodores are decreasing due to high fuel cost,,,so depreciation and lack of demand will stifle the car on the resale market.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Uh u are wrong on the great wall crap,,,this chap who runs a ute courier business,,,got a great wall,,and he had to keeep sending it back to get things fix,,,one thing after another keep spoiling,,,when the warranty end,,,he will be lucky if he does not have to pay people to take it off his hands...for high end cars,,not much of a market as not many can afford to buy one,,,saw an XR6 turbo for sale,,,04 model,,on gumtree,,,,the target market for such a car is pretty small,,,just my rants,,

get a decent car for a decent price,,,drive it properly and when the warranty runs out,,sell it and get another new one,,,also lets say if u get a Yaris for 20k..after 5 years sell it for 10K,,if u are the only owner and have done full log book servicing,,it will be easier to sell as the next person will look and say the car is well maintained,,

but lets look at the maths:

20 K brand new drive for 5 years = 2K per year (warranty so no repaid bills)

sell it after 5 years for 10k and the new owner (Owner 2)drives it for 5 years = 2 k per year,,(also 2 k per year wat) car is already 10years old

10 year old car might sell for 5K,,the Owner 2 saved 5 K and his cost of car is 1K per year.

However,,,if owner 2 have 1 break down,,,the cost is 1K + time lost. + also more repairs are needed etc,,so the maintenance cost increases so its highly unlikely the cost of car is 1K per year. see my point? But if its a toyota etc,,,10 years should have no problems,,,so its a 50/50 chance of a win for owner 2

Indeed, or high end cars. Always buy the cheapest, like great wall, or the more upmarket cars.

kiacaren

Alfrescian
Loyal
So how, neddy, you gotten yourself a new car oredi?

Is time running out for year end sales?

What have you eventually decided on?

Just curious.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So how, neddy, you gotten yourself a new car oredi?

Is time running out for year end sales?

What have you eventually decided on?

Just curious.

I am just going for test drive after the new year. The dealers are getting rid of the 2012 plates.
I will wait for the 2013 plates and hopefully get one when the salespeople cannot reach their quotas. :smile:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Off topic a little. Spotted a Kia car recently. Must be a new model. Very stylo-milo shape. Looks more like a continental car. Should be a 2000cc. If change badge, sure to sell better. Most people prefer Jap cars to Korean. But I suspect the gap is closing. Korean cars are no longer like they were in the early 80s.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hyundai (& sister Kia) means business. Check this video out.

VW CEO/Audi Porsche Board Chairman Dr Martin Winterkorn strolled over to the Hyundai stand to check out the i30
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YpPNVSQmR5c?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the midst of the world's press corp at the recent Frankfurt Motor Show, VW CEO Martin Winterkorn strolled over to the Hyundai stand to check out the i30, a competitor for the top selling Volkswagen Golf.

Almost as a sign of validation that Hyundai has come of age, or even better yet, is a worthy competitor of VW, Winterkorn along with his entourage look over the i30 with a fair amount of scrutiny.

In the beginning of the video Winterkorn whips out a magnetic tool used in measuring the thickness of paint used on the liftgate. He then proceeds to walk around the i30 grazing his knuckles across the hood-to-bumper shut lines to check for evenness.

Once seated in the driver's seat, the mood gets serious as Winterkorn investigates further. He calls out for VW design boss Klaus Bischoff.

"The lever for the steering wheel release makes no sound while moving. BMW can't do it, we can't do it, why can they?!" Bischoff replies, "We had a solution for that but it was too expensive to produce."
Winterkorn continues, "You can't see the wipers."

"Full equipment but there is no auto dimming rear view mirror."

Then a tape measure is brought out, as Winterkorn is apparently measuring A-Pillar blind spot from the drivers view.

Source: autobild.de

Off topic a little. Spotted a Kia car recently. Must be a new model. Very stylo-milo shape. Looks more like a continental car. Should be a 2000cc. If change badge, sure to sell better. Most people prefer Jap cars to Korean. But I suspect the gap is closing. Korean cars are no longer like they were in the early 80s.

Last edited:

kiacaren

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am just going for test drive after the new year. The dealers are getting rid of the 2012 plates.
I will wait for the 2013 plates and hopefully get one when the salespeople cannot reach their quotas. :smile:

That is a great move!!

Getting a year end car do affect your car re-sale value. Imagine trying to advertise 2012 car vs 2013 car for sales some years down the road. Psychologically the 2013 should get a higher valuaton especially so where some folks/websites do not take months into considerations.

Happy test driving!

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I think the Kia you mention is Kia Optima

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is a great move!!

Getting a year end car do affect your car re-sale value. Imagine trying to advertise 2012 car vs 2013 car for sales some years down the road.

Compliant plate year is a factor for me. It also affect insurance.
Some people don't care, they want cheap EOY discount.