• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is 4 GB RAM for a laptop safe ?

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you don't play games on your laptop. You use it to watch videos and work on some websites at the same time.

There is no option to upgrade the RAM to 8 GB at a later stage, but I wonder if 4 GB is good enough because the 8 GB will cost another $300, which is 20% of the price of the laptop.

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
- If you use Linux or ChromeOS
- If you have 2GB Graphics Card
- If you use full SSD Hard Drive

maybe 4GB ram is definitely enough if your answer to the above questions are YES

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
wonder if 4 GB is good enough because the 8 GB will cost another $300, which is 20% of the price of the laptop.

You only pay 300 ringgit more for upgrading to 4GB from 8GB, surely not 300 SGD

So the alternative laptop that costs $300 more might give you more punch than just the 4GB upgrade, eg. faster processor, hybrid/full SSD drive, graphic cards, etc.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
You only pay 300 ringgit more for upgrading to 4GB from 8GB, surely not 300 SGD

So the alternative laptop that costs $300 more might give you more punch than just the 4GB upgrade, eg. faster processor, hybrid/full SSD drive, graphic cards, etc.
Oh yes....plus another 128 GB hard drive.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buy a Laptop with a SSD HDD.
Have a ram of 8 Gig.

It is more then enough to run your Laptop

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
128GB should be SSD
SSD is faster.
4 GB 128 SSD = $1500
8 GB 256 SSD = $1800

Of course I know the higher the specs the better. But the difference is 20%, and if 4/128 is enough to get work done, I have no intention to pay 20% more.

I often watch YouTube and surf web or do some website editing at the same time.

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, 4 GB 128 SSD is only worth 1500 in ringgit.
I think your shortlisted models are expensive to begin with.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want long lasting battery and a touch screen. These are the 2 features that I must have.

From my experience over the many decades of using desktops & Laptops. IF YOU ARE USING IT FOR TEXT ONLY, 4GB RAM, even a 80GM HDD will do....BUT nowadays...every web page is in graphic & many have videos, especially many are auto-played ( unless you set your browser not to) even that, if you read something & is tempted to view...unless you don't even want to touch GAMES..unless they are text based games, not even 1D or 2D..even word processor files these days are multi media...not to mention, spreadsheets etc...even pdf...& furthermore....jpg etc..you can't even open or they load so slow...you go toilet for 20 mins, you get back it is still loading...never mind DOWN LOADING ANYTHING.

A 4GB, 128GB ( it fills up fast) HDD....the lowest grade graphic card...will do...do text only.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
4 GB 128 SSD = $1500
8 GB 256 SSD = $1800

Of course I know the higher the specs the better. But the difference is 20%, and if 4/128 is enough to get work done, I have no intention to pay 20% more.

I often watch YouTube and surf web or do some website editing at the same time.

If this is in MYR, i want to buy too.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously, 8gb ram is the bare minimum. Some browsers such as Chrome uses more ram too.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/chrome-using-much-ram-fix-right-now/

Does Chrome Really Use More RAM?
In short, yes. Chrome’s RAM-hungry reputation is deserved. Compared to other browsers, it doesn’t always use a huge amount of memory, but it does use more. ITPro’s recent test showed that with a Facebook page, a YouTube video, a BBC article, the Outlook web app, and a webpage open, Chrome used almost 600 MB of RAM, while Firefox used just over 400 MB.

And if you’ve ever run your own test, you’ll almost certainly have found that Chrome uses more memory than other browsers, including Opera, Firefox, Edge, and—just barely–Internet Explorer. Chrome is one of the fastest browsers out there, but it needs a lot of resources to take that title.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
i did a comparison on the parts selling in s'pore and oz, i find certain parts are slightly cheaper in oz. fyi.

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow...you dare to buy from US ? This one is very cheap compared to the selling price in Challenger, Singapore.

Scared they sell me refurbished stuff.

if it is refurbished, they must declare.
Ebay sides seller, if it is not as described, you can get refund.

Of course, you reminded me that Amazon is even stricter, some are fulfilled directly by amazon. You can refer to these Amazon listings......
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9PHY9Y - Acer 15in Touchscreen, i5-6200U Processor, 8GB, 256 SSD
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RSR8QP - HP 15in Touchscreen, i5-7200U Processor, 8GB, 128 SSD