• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Interesting People You Met During National Service

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah brother, you must be really old bird. When I was at SOA, Tan Kah Thiam was already CO for a few years. He is now the DY Chief Armour Officer. Saw him in Wallaby last year.
not that old la.....got older ones around here enlisted in the 70s...i still managed to try out the SM-1s

Tan Kah Thiam still around? thot he RODed liao.........think he didnt make BG.

I was with the first batch that went to Shoalwater Bay in the mid 80s....

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Two dozen of my NS buddies and I have made a pledge that in the event of war, we would not take up arms to defend Stinkapore.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yJOpRoQKbDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

your name Johnny and you hate jazz?

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
not that old la.....got older ones around here enlisted in the 70s...i still managed to try out the SM-1s

Tan Kah Thiam still around? thot he RODed liao.........think he didnt make BG.

I was with the first batch that went to Shoalwater Bay in the mid 80s....

Still around. He was in Wallaby last November. 3 crabs. Current Chief Armour is BG Benedict Lim, Ex Co of 40 SAR, Ex Mindef Spokemen.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Commando V200 to be exact. :biggrin:

units using the V200 consider what vocation? PDF? I always see V200 reservists in Area D during my ICT. We in BX stared at them and they stared back at us. We always watch with envy the cleaniness of the troopers emerge out of the V200 when compare to our dust browned No.4. Some more each V200 have full strength section wheras we are lucky to have 4 troopers inclusive of the 3rd Sgt in each BX. The ride comfort in the wheel V200 must be much better than the tracked IFV.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SAF brought decomssioned SM1 aka AMX13 from the french. It proven in battle as the IDF use the AMX13 too in their war against the arab in the 60s for $1 each. Later brought another 200+ from india when india decomissioned their AMX13, in the 80s i think.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
:eek: 1950s.

i know that v200 used to belong to armour. when armour dont want them they are given to airbases and pdf. didnt know that until today they are still in use.
Armour actually started with the v200....many faults with the design........one of the main faults was prone to overturning

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
units using the V200 consider what vocation? PDF? I always see V200 reservists in Area D during my ICT. We in BX stared at them and they stared back at us. We always watch with envy the cleaniness of the troopers emerge out of the V200 when compare to our dust browned No.4. Some more each V200 have full strength section wheras we are lucky to have 4 troopers inclusive of the 3rd Sgt in each BX. The ride comfort in the wheel V200 must be much better than the tracked IFV.

Airbase uses the 20MM gun version of the V200.

The other unit operating V200 are the air defence folks.

The unit you see with full strength must be at the start of their ICT cycle, as the unit age, you'll be lucky to have 5person per vehicle.

ramon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone out there met Tiger Hong before his retirement? I met LHL when he was BG but we only know that he's Lau Lee's son, so we don't give a fart on entertaining him.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Airbase uses the 20MM gun version of the V200.

The other unit operating V200 are the air defence folks.

The unit you see with full strength must be at the start of their ICT cycle, as the unit age, you'll be lucky to have 5person per vehicle.

air defense folks which are RP right?

5 person per vehicle still better than my platoon. total strength only 19 included everybody. minus VCs, drivers, PC, PS, Medic, runner, 2x25mm gunners, only 7 riflemen.:rolleyes:

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brother, were you from tekong or Nee Soon? I was the last batch who used Tekong Camp 1. This Tekong Camp 1 is the famous Charlie Company camp ground. The one that the bunk has a locked door. That was true. I saw it with my eyes. That bunk was turned into a lecture room.

I did my BMT in ITD in the late 1980s and the company that I was in was next to Charlie Company and I have seen that bunk with the door in the middle. When I was a recruit then, I was wondering why the bunk has a door in the middle when both ends of the bunk already has doors where recruits can easily go in and out as the bunk was already being used as a lecture room.

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I did my BMT in ITD in the late 1980s and the company that I was in was next to Charlie Company and I have seen that bunk with the door in the middle. When I was a recruit then, I was wondering why the bunk has a door in the middle when both ends of the bunk already has doors where recruits can easily go in and out as the bunk was already being used as a lecture room.

Thanks for verifying my version about the door in that bunk. Alot of people have heard that famous story about Charlie Company but few have really seen that door. Were you from Echo? During my time, Echo company was beside Charlie company.

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for verifying my version about the door in that bunk. Alot of people have heard that famous story about Charlie Company but few have really seen that door. Were you from Echo? During my time, Echo company was beside Charlie company.

You are most welcome. I was from Bravo and that was in early 1987. If I recall correctly, back then the company lines were arranged around the parade square with the companies placed in alphabetical order anti-clockwise. I wasn't aware of the Charlie company story until I ROD.

Last edited: