• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I'm no mercenary: Li Jiawei

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By Lin Xinyi
The Straits Times
Monday, Jan 14, 2013

FORMER national paddler Li Jiawei returns to her native Beijing next week, but there is still a piece of Singapore that she can call her own.

Since October 2011, a freehold condominium unit along Sixth Avenue in Bukit Timah has been her home. It was bought with a future in her adopted country in mind, and her decision to end one of the most successful sporting careers in the Republic's history is not about to change that.

"Although I'm leaving, I don't want to cut off ties," the 31-year-old told The Straits Times. "Ideally, I'll travel quite a bit between Singapore and Beijing."

The Chinese capital is where she will reunite with her parents, businessman husband, and three-year-old Singapore-born son. And while her detractors have argued that it was always her intention to go back to China, Singapore's top-earning athlete from the Multi-Million Dollar Award Programme (MAP) insists she is no mercenary.

"I know a lot of people say that. It doesn't make me angry. In my mind, there are more Singaporeans who support me than those who don't," said Li, who has earned an estimated $1.27 million from the MAP programme since she arrived here in 1996 under the Foreign Sports Talent Scheme.

Locals who have not taken to the former world No. 3 have been vocal. Some have written to forums of this newspaper, others have voiced their opinions online, while a few have even confronted Li in person.

After competing in her first of four Olympics at the 2000 Sydney Games, an elderly man approached her in Toa Payoh asking why she had to come to Singapore and stifle the growth of local talent.

Another time, she was in a changing room at a boutique in Orchard Road when a woman questioned why she could not just stay in China.

"I just tell them that I like Singapore," she said. "I've never felt a need to prove that I'm Singaporean. Singapore is in my bones, in my heart."
Her results on court have seldom been the subject of cross-examination. She has made two trips to the Olympic podium, owns a world team title and six Asian Games medals.

Along with seven Commonwealth Games and 14 SEA Games golds, her achievements have made her the first millionairess athlete in Singapore, and she is not about to feel guilty about that.

"I think it's quite natural to get some rewards for my efforts," said Li, who will be selling her white BMW 5 Series sedan that she bought last year but not her top-floor apartment, which she will not be renting out either.

"But no matter what I do next in life, I still want to give back to Singapore."

With the Singapore Table Tennis Association (STTA) set to make an announcement regarding the next phase of her career, Li was coy about her new job.

She would only say that she will work for a company in Beijing that has links to Singapore, although she revealed that her interest lies in public relations.

If not for a stubborn knee injury and a family who want to see more of her, Li conceded that she would still be wielding a bat.

She had wanted to prove to herself that she could make the 2016 Rio Olympics and plug a gap in her otherwise impressive CV - she is still missing an individual medal after fourth-place finishes in the women's singles at the 2004 and 2008 Games.

But she knows she is leaving the sport on a high.

At the London Olympics last year, she won both the second singles and doubles matches in Singapore's 3-0 win over South Korea in the women's team bronze-medal play-off.

Coincidentally, her last match on the International Table Tennis Federation World Tour last year was also a win over Korean duo Dang Ye Seo and Seok Ha Jung, giving Li and Wang Yuegu the Brazil Open women's doubles title.

"My playing days ended perfectly," a smiling Li said at her two-storey, three-bedroom home, which is conspicuously devoid of medals and trophies.

But once an athlete, always an athlete. Five days ago, feeling the urge to do what she has known almost all her life, she turned up for the national team's training session at the STTA to practise for more than an hour.

That trip, however, only served to make her realise what she would be missing after announcing her retirement a fortnight ago.

"The squad now sing the national anthem before the start of training every Monday morning," she said.

"When I heard it that day, it dawned on me that I won't have the chance to stand on a podium again."

The void she felt grew that night, when she was packing her luggage and found a pot that she and room-mate Sun Beibei used to cook noodles and rice with while on Tour. She took it out, cleaned it, and thought of how much she would miss travelling on the professional circuit.

There are memories from more than 115 tournaments, some of which hang on the walls of her home among family portraits and photos of her son, Terry.

"Getting used to retirement has been harder than I expected," she admitted.

But she retires knowing this: A piece of Singapore's sporting history will always belong to her.

[email protected]

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How much would she have earned if she remained in China? Would she even have made it to the China's national team?

Sinkapore pays big bucks for feeble achievements.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
If SG imports more people like her and god forbid, let them become the elites in SG, SGreans will experience what the Taiwanese did when KMT took over the island from the Japanese after WW2.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i have always admired her. now that she has made her decision, i wish her good luck.

singapore , please learn and look after your own children well...nurture them well, develop them well, we are your own flesh and blood...why the need to import others.....

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have always admired her. now that she has made her decision, i wish her good luck.

singapore , please learn and look after your own children well...nurture them well, develop them well, we are your own flesh and blood...why the need to import others.....
Nothing personal. chon zap u for supporting FT

TuaGow

Alfrescian
Loyal

pls lah, don't blame sinkie parents, blame PAP! :oIo:

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't blame her, singkie men don't appeal to her just like singkie girls don't apeal to many of you people.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kopisai, you love to pay to use ah tiong's butt cheeks to paste on your fuckface?

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even national grade athlete also become beggars in China! A third class disposed garbage wanting to make it big in China is just unheard of, that's why she will be clinging on to Singapore where idiots like LBW will still try to angkat her puki! In a fish bowl filled with neon tetras, the guppy can claim kingship!

A Shankar

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need to blame her, she has her own dream and ambition but you can blame the system.
2771066368_08cc9a456b_z.jpg
A relative small price to pay for Singapore's sporting glory.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe in her sincerity.
You can't be motivated by money alone. Besides, she isn't really rich from playing ping pong for Singapore anyway.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can't be motivated by money alone. Besides, she isn't really rich from playing ping pong for Singapore anyway.

She made more than a bloody $1.2 million in prize money and that's including her regular pay. More than 80 percent sinkees don't make that kind of money in their lifetime.
If she wasn't motivated by money, then she wouldn't have come here.

Last edited:

RogerK

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Don't say like that.

Don't blame the parents. Blame the government administrator or rather the government's policy.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/s...ennis_kids_not_taken_care_of_says_parent.html

As the parent of two aspiring table-tennis players, STOMPer Sandy is concerned about the future of her sons in the sport. She says:
"I am a concerned parent who is really concerned about the Singapore Table Tennis Association's (STTA) future. It is going to affect my sons' dreams too!

"I have two sons, aged 10 and 11, who are currently undergoing training in the youth team but not the National youth team. They have been training three to four times weekly, for four years.

"My sons really wish to continue training in the STTA even after their Primary six exams. They love the sport so much that they would like to try to apply for a place in the Singapore Sports School in a year's time.

"But according to what I know from other parents, those boys and girls not chosen into the National youth team will quit training at the STTA. Therefore, their interest in this particular sport will diminish as their training cease.

"I think this pool of talent and resources is not being carefully taken care of, just like Gao Ning's case! As for the young and budding players like our children, we will support our kids fully in due time when they are ready to choose their path and career according to their interest and potential.

"As for my concerns, I wish that the STTA (which is a non profit organization) really has the mission of promoting table tennis even though our children may not excel in this year or two .

"They may be the 'B' class players now, but I do hope that they are not being denied the chance of continuing to learn from these experienced Chinese coaches. Otherwise, they may just stop playing after their primary school years like how others did.

"There are not enough resources (coaches) to coach the 'B' class players. The children may continue to play in school, but some coaches and students may not be able to match their slightly 'above-average' standard. And not many schools have good Chinese coaches.

"Maybe we can adopt the system in China, where they have the 'A' and 'B' class players. Our very own Li Jia Wei and team belongs to that group. I really hope that the STTA will look into getting more coaches to develop our youths.

"I also look forward to these sports associations practicing more transparency, in terms of choosing the national players, financial management, and corporate governance.

"Based on recent events, it shows that we still have lots more room for improvement.

"I really hope that all Singapore athletes will live, enjoy and play well within a fair system where they are treated as a respectable players."

RogerK

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If she is so sincere, she would have stayed in Singapore including her son so that her son can serve NS when due.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
If she is so sincere, she would have stayed in Singapore including her son so that her son can serve NS when due.

Her hubby business man in China bro. She has to follow him n not the other way around. Same for any singkie gal who married foreigner

RogerK

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Her hubby business man in China bro. She has to follow him n not the other way around. Same for any singkie gal who married foreigner

It does not matter who your other half is.

For somebody to say this :
"I just tell them that I like Singapore," she said. "I've never felt a need to prove that I'm Singaporean. Singapore is in my bones, in my heart."
she must be able to show in her action too.

By packing up and moving back shows what? Where is the sincerity?

Is she getting her son to avoid NS? Is that what you call Singapore is in my bones, in my heart?

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
The son belongs to the husband too which is the head of the household.
Her hubby is business man in China.

RogerK

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The son belongs to the husband too which is the head of the household.
Her hubby is business man in China.

If she is taking a Singapore passport as a passport of convenience, say so. We can accept frank and honest statement.

Don't go round telling cock and bull stories like "in my bones and in my heart".

Only a daft like you would believe her.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is the type of ft pappies are importing. came here song song liaoz, screwed sinkees song song liaoz. then kar chng put put, go home wor.all these thanks to the 60%.
fuck pap!