• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I'm going to Shanghai soon !

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm leaving for Shanghai soon. The last time I was there, Shanghai was only beginning to develop.

I'll be at Pudong, the Shanghai International Expo Center (don't really know the exact name). Frankly, I'm not familiar with the place.

Could anyone recommend me a cheap and good hotel ? Preferably within walking distance to the Expo Center.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm leaving for Shanghai soon. The last time I was there, Shanghai was only beginning to develop.

I'll be at Pudong, the Shanghai International Expo Center (don't really know the exact name). Frankly, I'm not familiar with the place.

Could anyone recommend me a cheap and good hotel ? Preferably within walking distance to the Expo Center.

The Shanghai Expo is a con job. You queue for hours just to get into these gigantic pavillon but there's nothing to see inside. Dun't believe me? Just buy a ticket and find out yourself. I can assure you that you will swear never to visit another expo again.

There's no cheap hotel in Shanghai during the Expo. All prices increased by a few folds. Even the budget "Home Inn Hotels" (Equivalent to our Hotel 81) cost close to CNY400 per night.

I was there last week and stayed at the Eton Hotel at Pudong. The standard has dropped but its still a decent hotel. Can see the Huang Pu River and the Bund from the hotel. Cost less than CNY30 by taxi to the Expo.

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal

There is no cheap hotel within walking distance to Expo Center... rates are going for RMB500 and above, the more you pay the nearer you are to the Expo Center...

I suggest you get a hotel within walking distance of a subway station... and away from the Expo area.... the subway is very convenient and clean in shanghai though you have to be careful of pick pockets.....

One suggestion is hotel near the shanghai train station (also serve by the subway system)... rates is RMB 350 and above.....

ilovechery

Alfrescian
Loyal

A place of thugs & goons...haiz i pity u cos u gonna be greeted with rampant spitting, queue-jumping & bad service attitudes. why dont u choose Japan or Taiwan instead?? China men & Shanghainese are fucked-up! Japan & Taiwan are the most cultured countires on earth! Long live Japan!!

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
whoa! queenie, you damn lich... can stay in thailand,now go shanghai,somemore want to get bike in sg and buy a car in daiwan.
how can i believe that you are unemployed?:rolleyes::p

I have no idea. I haven't been there for a long long time. It's definitely a different Shanghai from the one I visited the last time.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
whoa! queenie, you damn lich... can stay in thailand,now go shanghai,somemore want to get bike in sg and buy a car in daiwan.
how can i believe that you are unemployed?:rolleyes::p

You can be like me, if you wish. Just leave Sinkiepoor. What you need is a little more determination and go to hell with sentiments of 'familiar territory'.

Going to Shanghai will cause a hole in my pocket for sure. It's not a holiday trip, yet necessary for planning ahead. You can even consider it as some form of business trip.

Anyone who does not want to own a car in Singapore can afford cars in Taiwan and Thailand. Shuttling in and out via AirAsia is definitely cheaper than travelling with SMRT and SBS.

I have spoken to many Singaporeans like you, and almost everyone tells me they will follow my footsteps 'provided' they can secure a job first in another country. This condition will definitely make sure you remain in Singapore for a long time.

The quality of life outside Singapore is definitely much better. You can trust Sam Leong on this.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can be like me, if you wish. Just leave Sinkiepoor. What you need is a little more determination and go to hell with sentiments of 'familiar territory'.

Going to Shanghai will cause a hole in my pocket for sure. It's not a holiday trip, yet necessary for planning ahead. You can even consider it as some form of business trip.

Anyone who does not want to own a car in Singapore can afford cars in Taiwan and Thailand. Shuttling in and out via AirAsia is definitely cheaper than travelling with SMRT and SBS.

I have spoken to many Singaporeans like you, and almost everyone tells me they will follow my footsteps 'provided' they can secure a job first in another country. This condition will definitely make sure you remain in Singapore for a long time.

The quality of life outside Singapore is definitely much better. You can trust Sam Leong on this.

hi but what countries are u talking about?

You know when ppl say quality of life is better outside sg they usually mean a western country like aus for eg. Ppl will simply assume a place like say indonesia, thailand etc have lower quality of life. Is this true?

I am getting sick and tired of ppl saying sg is so clean so green when it's all just well packaged lies and even if it's clean the ppl are suffering etc.

You mentioned you are unemployed. This means you don't have a job in another country. Therefore i would summaise you are living on your savings. How long have you been living out of sg? You give me the impression you have been staying in thailand for yrs so how did you manage to stretch your dollar?

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun know about the Shanghai Expo, but the trade fairs at other provinces like Guangzhou have plenty to see and the deals are pretty good. If you're lucky, you may get to pick up some hot PRC sales mei meis. I got lucky once and chatted up with one of the suppliers. I asked her out for dinner and she got tipsy after some drinks and we ended up in my hotel room where I gave it to her good and proper! Of course, I gave her the biz and we've become good friends since. She is from Chengdu, and whenever I'm there we would meet up for a good bonk! :biggrin:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dun know about the Shanghai Expo, but the trade fairs at other provinces like Guangzhou have plenty to see and the deals are pretty good. If you're lucky, you may get to pick up some hot PRC sales mei meis. I got lucky once and chatted up with one of the suppliers. I asked her out for dinner and she got tipsy after some drinks and we ended up in my hotel room where I gave it to her good and proper! Of course, I gave her the biz and we've become good friends since. She is from Chengdu, and whenever I'm there we would meet up for a good bonk! :biggrin:

i think queen is a female not a male.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi but what countries are u talking about?

You know when ppl say quality of life is better outside sg they usually mean a western country like aus for eg. Ppl will simply assume a place like say indonesia, thailand etc have lower quality of life. Is this true?

I am getting sick and tired of ppl saying sg is so clean so green when it's all just well packaged lies and even if it's clean the ppl are suffering etc.

You mentioned you are unemployed. This means you don't have a job in another country. Therefore i would summaise you are living on your savings. How long have you been living out of sg? You give me the impression you have been staying in thailand for yrs so how did you manage to stretch your dollar?

The quality of life means the optimal point between costs and standard of living. Whatever Singapore can offer, Thailand can offer but at a fraction of the costs. You get clean water, MRT [without the squeeze], broadband Internet, 5-star hotels and 6-star shopping malls in Bangkok.

For the financially better off ones, Australia and New Zealand will be ideal. But I know I can't afford the 3 meals per day in these two countries when I'm without a job for an extended time. So it's not an option for me at this point of time.

Taiwan seems to be a good compromise. There is no language barrier if you speak Mandarin. The costs of living may be 10% higher than Thailand, but the amenities are more accessible compared to Thailand. You will experience winter much like Australia and New Zealand, but it hardly goes below 10 degrees [Celsius]. There are hot springs all over the island, easily accessible via public transport.

How do I stretch my dollar ? The moment you leave Singapore you're already stretching your dollar. And when you're overseas, don't go for imported cars. Stick to Japanese brands, especially those with assembly plants at the country where you stay. At the moment, I commute via public transport.

In Singapore, an expensive HDB plus an overpriced car will keep you poor for a long time. These two items are by far the two most expensive items you will ever acquire in your life. If you're able to save or stretch your dollar on these two items, half the battle is won. The next battle will be health care expenses, and seriously I've my eyes on Taiwan's health care insurance. It's so cheap that I can afford to go see my dentist once every month, and the service is first class.

And there is one thing about Taiwan that I feel Singaporeans will have one big advantage. If you are able to speak English [less the Singlish accent] and Mandarin [Taiwanese level], the people there will think you are some Super Talent.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The quality of life means the optimal point between costs and standard of living. Whatever Singapore can offer, Thailand can offer but at a fraction of the costs. You get clean water, MRT [without the squeeze], broadband Internet, 5-star hotels and 6-star shopping malls in Bangkok.

The streets of bkk are quite dirty and crowded isn't it? You know how that shows that the standard of living is lower than sg's?

Btw are you alone or do you have some companions?

Since you should be a female do you find it a bit more dangerous to be living alone? If you are staying alone isn't it boring too?

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
The streets are dirty, but Bangkok is so big. If you live around Sathorn, you will not think that the standard of living is low. Likewise if you live in Rowell Road in Singapore, you will feel the standard of living is low. Bangkok is so big, you must pick the right spot.

As for safety, it's just a kind of feeling. It's natural to feel insecure in a new environment, not just country. When you're posted to a new company in Singapore, for the first few days you're going to feel just as much insecure. In Thailand, you must learn how to speak their language. I don't mean the usual tourist stuff; you must be able to speak to the standard where ordinary Thais will mistake you for a Thai. You will then be able to integrate into the environment, and once integration is complete, you no longer feel insecure.

Boring ? Only when the Internet is down or power supply interrupted.

jw5

Loyal
The streets are dirty, but Bangkok is so big. If you live around Sathorn, you will not think that the standard of living is low. Likewise if you live in Rowell Road in Singapore, you will feel the standard of living is low. Bangkok is so big, you must pick the right spot.

As for safety, it's just a kind of feeling. It's natural to feel insecure in a new environment, not just country. When you're posted to a new company in Singapore, for the first few days you're going to feel just as much insecure. In Thailand, you must learn how to speak their language. I don't mean the usual tourist stuff; you must be able to speak to the standard where ordinary Thais will mistake you for a Thai. You will then be able to integrate into the environment, and once integration is complete, you no longer feel insecure.

Boring ? Only when the Internet is down or power supply interrupted.
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you are either someone who has worked for many years and hence accumulated quite a bit of savings while incurring little or no debt, or someone who has some form of parental or family support. Not suggesting that you are an ah siah kia, but possibly some form of backing from well-off family or relatives.

While it's true that transport, food, daily amenities, toiletries, entertainment, etc are cheaper in Taiwan and Thailand than SG, and probably better too, the thing that will cause a hole is rental or accomodation. Even without car and housing loans in SG. Once you confirmed that you didn't stay with friends or relatives but rather serviced apartments overseas, I came to the above conclusion.