• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I'm going to Shanghai soon !

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm quite confident he is a male.

How could you be so sure when someone says that about Bangkok...

:
:
:
As for safety, it's just a kind of feeling. It's natural to feel insecure in a new environment, not just country.
:
:
:
Boring ? Only when the Internet is down or power supply interrupted.

A man about and around the world doesn't worry about his own security. Those who happen to be where he is, they should be the ones to worry about their own security with him around.

Unless there's an air raid or a coup going on, the power is never down, doubly backed up in Sukhumvit, Silom and Surawongse. I doubt any man with any means would feel bored in Bangkok when internet is down or power is down at home.

One Night In Bangkok - Murray Head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnqj31VPNoE

Last edited:

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you are either someone who has worked for many years and hence accumulated quite a bit of savings while incurring little or no debt, or someone who has some form of parental or family support. Not suggesting that you are an ah siah kia, but possibly some form of backing from well-off family or relatives.

I want your limb. You're wrong on both counts.

I have mentioned more than once that I'm unemployed, so I really don't fit into someone 'who has worked for many years'. As for parental or family support, I live alone, and that speaks a lot about the kind of support.

Don't let that serviced apartment issue mislead you. In Taiwan there are many grades of 'serviced apartment', and whenever I'm in Taiwan I don't live in the most expensive city.

If I'm either rich as a result of many years of working or some form of parental or family support, I think I'll have no problem living in Singapore. In fact, in Singapore I really needed family support, which I didn't receive.

Jastafar saw something in my writings which many of you missed. Anyway, we've digressed. Shanghai is the concern of this thread.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have mentioned more than once that I'm unemployed, so I really don't fit into someone 'who has worked for many years'. As for parental or family support, I live alone, and that speaks a lot about the kind of support.

Don't let that serviced apartment issue mislead you. In Taiwan there are many grades of 'serviced apartment', and whenever I'm in Taiwan I don't live in the most expensive city.

If I'm either rich as a result of many years of working or some form of parental or family support, I think I'll have no problem living in Singapore. In fact, in Singapore I really needed family support, which I didn't receive.

Jastafar saw something in my writings which many of you missed. Anyway, we've digressed. Shanghai is the concern of this thread.

Queen, how's your plan to move to Taiwan? Are you planning to do business in Taiwan by importing stuff from China? Cheers

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Queen, how's your plan to move to Taiwan? Are you planning to do business in Taiwan by importing stuff from China? Cheers

I'm going to import stuff from overseas, but maybe not China. The exhibition is in China, so I should get to meet suppliers from all over the world.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The streets are dirty, but Bangkok is so big. If you live around Sathorn, you will not think that the standard of living is low. Likewise if you live in Rowell Road in Singapore, you will feel the standard of living is low. Bangkok is so big, you must pick the right spot.

As for safety, it's just a kind of feeling. It's natural to feel insecure in a new environment, not just country. When you're posted to a new company in Singapore, for the first few days you're going to feel just as much insecure. In Thailand, you must learn how to speak their language. I don't mean the usual tourist stuff; you must be able to speak to the standard where ordinary Thais will mistake you for a Thai. You will then be able to integrate into the environment, and once integration is complete, you no longer feel insecure.

Boring ? Only when the Internet is down or power supply interrupted.

Can u speak thai as well as a thai?

That would be impressive considering you probably never attended thai language school. You probably picked it from the streets.

jw5

Loyal

Ok then, my apologies for my mistake.
I guess one thing I wanted to understand better was why you would be living in a few different countries instead of SG. Perhaps I understand better now, but it's not really my business anyhow.

Just some advice again to exercise financial prudence, as capital is easily eroded by rental outlays, if not offset by cash inflows.
Good luck in your potential business ventures in Shanghai and other places.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok then, my apologies for my mistake.
I guess one thing I wanted to understand better was why you would be living in a few different countries instead of SG. Perhaps I understand better now, but it's not really my business anyhow.

Just some advice again to exercise financial prudence, as capital is easily eroded by rental outlays, if not offset by cash inflows.
Good luck in your potential business ventures in Shanghai and other places.

Your presumptions are reasonable and logical. But in reality when you step out of Singapore and live in Thailand or Taiwan (minus Taipei) the dynamics are very different. Frankly I didn't expect myself to be able to afford life in Taiwan. I live near Nantou County, and the cost of living is very different from Taipei. And I've easy access to Sun Moon Lake as well as the Cultural Village.

I understand fully the risk of '坐吃山空' which is why living overseas remains a temporary measure until I can generate active income.

I want to tell the rest that I did fear leaving Singapore, but my blessing in disguise then was I didn't have a job, so there was no opportunity cost to hold me back. Surviving in Taiwan and Thailand is much easier than I first thought. So if Singaporeans can survive in Singapore, they can survive anywhere.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can be like me, if you wish. Just leave Sinkiepoor. What you need is a little more determination and go to hell with sentiments of 'familiar territory'.

I have spoken to many Singaporeans like you, and almost everyone tells me they will follow my footsteps 'provided' they can secure a job first in another country. This condition will definitely make sure you remain in Singapore for a long time.

The quality of life outside Singapore is definitely much better. You can trust Sam Leong on this.

Emphasis mine. I have met these Singaporean before I left as well. They keep telling me you won't get a job, get discriminated against because "Ang moh tua kee" etc etc. Landed in late Feb with just a suitcase, no job waiting, no accommodation, no car, virtually nothing. One month later, got a job, 6 months later, after converting my license and earning some deposit for the car, driving a mini cooper S, 2 years later , become citizen and a new passport. 1 Month ago visited china and claimed back GST on my 1st Rolex watch, and find mei mei. A few months from now, hopefully getting married. I would never have hoped to achieved all this if I had stayed. That is just life. Some of these Singaporean really needs spurs on their hides to get moving.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some of these Singaporean really needs spurs on their hides to get moving.

Unlike you, I have nothing to show. But I'm fully aware that I would have been much worse off I had remained in Singapore.

There is one thing that I do not like about discussing migration topics is that ultimately the discussion will turn into 'how to survive while overseas?' whenever Singaporeans are involved. Once the topic degenerates into earning a respectable income overseas, the focus is lost.

The issue of survival is something that each individual has to find out on her own because it's an experience personal to that individual; it's not something that can be taught or replicated.

kiss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Emphasis mine. I have met these Singaporean before I left as well. They keep telling me you won't get a job, get discriminated against because "Ang moh tua kee" etc etc. Landed in late Feb with just a suitcase, no job waiting, no accommodation, no car, virtually nothing. One month later, got a job, 6 months later, after converting my license and earning some deposit for the car, driving a mini cooper S, 2 years later , become citizen and a new passport. 1 Month ago visited china and claimed back GST on my 1st Rolex watch, and find mei mei. A few months from now, hopefully getting married. I would never have hoped to achieved all this if I had stayed. That is just life. Some of these Singaporean really needs spurs on their hides to get moving.

Pardon me, u're in which country ? China or Taiwan ?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

which country did you move to? Aussie?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can write.

You can write and speak thai? Did you attend a school or were you self taught?

Your presumptions are reasonable and logical. But in reality when you step out of Singapore and live in Thailand or Taiwan (minus Taipei) the dynamics are very different. Frankly I didn't expect myself to be able to afford life in Taiwan. I live near Nantou County, and the cost of living is very different from Taipei. And I've easy access to Sun Moon Lake as well as the Cultural Village.

I understand fully the risk of '坐吃山空' which is why living overseas remains a temporary measure until I can generate active income.

I want to tell the rest that I did fear leaving Singapore, but my blessing in disguise then was I didn't have a job, so there was no opportunity cost to hold me back. Surviving in Taiwan and Thailand is much easier than I first thought. So if Singaporeans can survive in Singapore, they can survive anywhere.

How long have you been living by yourself overseas? It seems like more than 2 yrs for your case.

I am have you found employment in thailand or taiwan? You have been living on your savings all along?

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jah rastafar,

What is your contribution to the topic of this thread ?

If you're interested in my personal life, you can PM me. Don't hijack this thread please.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unlike you, I have nothing to show. But I'm fully aware that I would have been much worse off I had remained in Singapore.

There is one thing that I do not like about discussing migration topics is that ultimately the discussion will turn into 'how to survive while overseas?' whenever Singaporeans are involved. Once the topic degenerates into earning a respectable income overseas, the focus is lost.

The issue of survival is something that each individual has to find out on her own because it's an experience personal to that individual; it's not something that can be taught or replicated.

Its good to earn money, with money you can do more stuff. There was an article that states that up to a certain income level your "happiness" as a human being increased with income. After that, which is around 80K USD, it makes very little difference. I think most of the topic that degenerates into earning income overseas loses focus because it was not emphasized that this is the sort of opportunity you can get overseas. Sorry, if I digress here.

As for Shanghai, good luck there, I was thinking of visiting Shanghai after I got my passport. Did some research and found what most have said earlier that hotel prices in Shanghai is too high. As for the Expo, which is my original intention, it is just not world the effort. Even the mainland chinese is starting to called , 世博,Shi Bo, as 傻屄会。I ended visiting a "tier 2" city, Hunan, Changsha, checked into a 5 star hotel for like $100 a day and got upgraded to a bigger room on arrival. Food, was cheap with mei mei bringing me around everyday to the different tourist sites. Shanghai was fun, but after a couple of trips there, there is really nothing much you can see there. It felt like another "big city".

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
which country did you move to? Aussie?

Yes, Aussie, I should also mentioned that, I know a former colleagued that took 6 months before he could find a job in Australia, and he has to relocate to another state. Sometimes, luck plays a big part as well.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, Aussie, I should also mentioned that, I know a former colleagued that took 6 months before he could find a job in Australia, and he has to relocate to another state. Sometimes, luck plays a big part as well.

Was at the HDB office and chatted with the HDB officer. She told me that there are quite a lot of cases of people moving overseas, like to Australia, only to discover that the costs of living is much higher than they expected (esp when they are not citizen yet). They had initially rented out their HDB flat but in the end had to sell it for the cash.

Seen any cases like this before in Aussie?

Btw I'll be working for Aussie MNC company in Singapore. Do I earn points if apply for migration to Aussie?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was at the HDB office and chatted with the HDB officer. She told me that there are quite a lot of cases of people moving overseas, like to Australia, only to discover that the costs of living is much higher than they expected (esp when they are not citizen yet). They had initially rented out their HDB flat but in the end had to sell it for the cash.

Seen any cases like this before in Aussie?

Btw I'll be working for Aussie MNC company in Singapore. Do I earn points if apply for migration to Aussie?

The points are all hashed out at

http://www.immi.gov.au

A lot of people KpKb here about FTs, the government has tightened migration policy since last year. Depends on what skills,business, etc you want to migrate with. There might still be a chance. Age, language, work experience plays a part as well. For migration purposes, work experiences is needed. Landing a job in Aust, depends on mentality and work experiences. Aussie MNCs can help, if you could assimilate into the aussie culture. I know of another aussie MNCs that decided to pack up and leave, bringing them some of their local staffs as sponsored migrants.