• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

'If I hadn't run, many would have spoiled votes': Tan Jee Say

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
The votes he got may not have gone to Tan Cheng Bock
Aug 29, 2011

ST_IMAGES_TWJEESAY29.jpg
Mr Tan Jee Say, seen here with his wife Patricia (left), accepting a string of balloons from a well-wisher as he left the Bedok Stadium on Saturday night. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA

Mr Tan Jee Say shrugged off suggestions that his participation in the presidential election contributed to Dr Tan Cheng Bock's loss in the race.

He said those who voted for him may not necessarily have voted for Dr Tan, if it came down to a two-horse race between Dr Tan Cheng Bock and Dr Tony Tan.

'A lot of my supporters told me if I had not run, they'd have spoiled their votes so it would have made no difference. In fact, they wanted me to go in and give a real contest,' said Mr Tan Jee Say in an interview with The Straits Times.
Background story 'I could have attracted votes from any of the candidates, not just Dr Tan Cheng Bock. There is no way of knowing that, if I had not run, the votes would have gone to one person and not to another person.'

Mr Tan Jee Say, on suggestions that his running led to Dr Tony Tan's victory

When the final results came in early yesterday morning, placing Mr Tan Jee Say in third place with 25.04 per cent of the vote share, some netizens hurled criticisms at him and Mr Tan Kin Lian on online message boards and Facebook.

Last edited:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
He isn't very bright. I've been very disappointed to know that he was a PPS. Isn't it any wonder that we are all in dire straits?

The person who was a letdown in PE2011 was TCB. For someone who was supposed to have decades of political acumen he showed nothing of it. All he needed to do was to garner a small percentage of opposition votes to win. His meager attempt to elicit voted with his lackadaisical attitude towards bread and butter issues led to his downfall. All he had to do was to say that he would speak up on bread and butter issues and if challenged, all he had to say was that if the president couldn't talk about bread and butter issues then what use is the president of the country?

TSJ and TKL are just egomaniacs who lacked stature and experience to win over a sizeable percentage to win PE2011. TCB lost due to poor strategy and a lack of understanding of the electorate.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If TCB is really that good, both TJS and TKL wouldn't have made any difference.
The fact is he is fuck up....that's why on the hindsight he depended on TKL or TJS to withdraw.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
If TCB is really that good, both TJS and TKL wouldn't have made any difference.
The fact is he is fuck up....that's why on the hindsight he depended on TKL or TJS to withdraw.

TJS and TKL were never going to win. TJS should still have run to represent the AP. TKL should never have run. TCB should still have won with or without these two if TCB was more politically savvy.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
He isn't very bright. I've been very disappointed to know that he was a PPS. Isn't it any wonder that we are all in dire straits?

The person who was a letdown in PE2011 was TCB. For someone who was supposed to have decades of political acumen he showed nothing of it. All he needed to do was to garner a small percentage of opposition votes to win. His meager attempt to elicit voted with his lackadaisical attitude towards bread and butter issues led to his downfall. All he had to do was to say that he would speak up on bread and butter issues and if challenged, all he had to say was that if the president couldn't talk about bread and butter issues then what use is the president of the country?

TSJ and TKL are just egomaniacs who lacked stature and experience to win over a sizeable percentage to win PE2011. TCB lost due to poor strategy and a lack of understanding of the electorate.

He was very pro-PAP as PPS. He defended the government in the Marxist conspiracy stuff. Only 11 years later he hates it.It's like Hitler saying, I shouldn't have invaded Poland.

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was very pro-PAP as PPS. He defended the government in the Marxist conspiracy stuff. Only 11 years later he hates it.It's like Hitler saying, I shouldn't have invaded Poland.

pap like him very much , give $1 COE for him to win the race?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
TJS is right. many will spoilt their vote. Why vote for PAP lackey. since TCB and TT are considered that. FOr TT is more a lackey and TCB is a lesser evil. Many will not vote for both of them.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
TJS and TKL were never going to win. TJS should still have run to represent the AP. TKL should never have run. TCB should still have won with or without these two if TCB was more politically savvy.

i disagree... many will have spoilt their vote if TJS didn't run.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many people may have spoilt their votes if TJS didn't run, but TCB only needed 0.34% of TJS's 25% to beat TT. That's less than 2% of TJS voters.

Ask any random selection of people that voted TJS who they would vote for if TJS didn't run and there is no doubt that there will be at least 5% more votes for TCB over TT.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Many people may have spoilt their votes if TJS didn't run, but TCB only needed 0.34% of TJS's 25% to beat TT. That's less than 2% of TJS voters.

Ask any random selection of people that voted TJS who they would vote for if TJS didn't run and there is no doubt that there will be at least 5% more votes for TCB over TT.

You talk as though you will know the result before the election started. come on lah.. that is the SINKIE president election. SInkies are very 3rd world when comes to politics and elections.

I read someone posted about tactical voting. that will allow people to choose the type of president they want but you need a freedom of information for that and a culture of freedom to get that level of voting skills. IN sinkieland, you can't due to the 3rd worldness of sinkies.

gbomega

Alfrescian
Loyal
I doubted TCB as much as TT. PAP had flouted the idea of dividing the party into 2 groups to show sinkies that there are people questioning them and this may be the case.

All NGO, Unions and Clans are controlled. There is no watch over the govt. They will not allow a truly independent candidate as EP.

PhuaTeKor

Alfrescian
Loyal

Very good analysis. Both TJS and TKL are younger than TCB, they still have time to build up their stature and experience. :smile:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The votes he got may not have gone to Tan Cheng Bock
Aug 29, 2011

ST_IMAGES_TWJEESAY29.jpg
Mr Tan Jee Say, seen here with his wife Patricia (left), accepting a string of balloons from a well-wisher as he left the Bedok Stadium on Saturday night. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA

Mr Tan Jee Say shrugged off suggestions that his participation in the presidential election contributed to Dr Tan Cheng Bock's loss in the race.

He said those who voted for him may not necessarily have voted for Dr Tan, if it came down to a two-horse race between Dr Tan Cheng Bock and Dr Tony Tan.

'A lot of my supporters told me if I had not run, they'd have spoiled their votes so it would have made no difference. In fact, they wanted me to go in and give a real contest,' said Mr Tan Jee Say in an interview with The Straits Times.
Background story 'I could have attracted votes from any of the candidates, not just Dr Tan Cheng Bock. There is no way of knowing that, if I had not run, the votes would have gone to one person and not to another person.'

Mr Tan Jee Say, on suggestions that his running led to Dr Tony Tan's victory

When the final results came in early yesterday morning, placing Mr Tan Jee Say in third place with 25.04 per cent of the vote share, some netizens hurled criticisms at him and Mr Tan Kin Lian on online message boards and Facebook.

Funny comment. Yes spoil vote will increase maybe 5%. But another 20% will go to TCB and TKL.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would vote TJS again, as I will not vote TT. and the one that spoilt the chances was TKL so please blame the right person. TJS represents the opposition and he got the hard core Oppo votes. that is a done deal. TT got the hard core PAP votes and TCB got the middle ground votes. TKL got the votes of those who felt indebted to him or just stupid people who voted for him. Cos of TKL, TT is in power. The ones that are to blame is TKL and his voters.