• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I read a book that blew my mind a little and I can’t stop telling people about it.

covertbriar

Alfrescian
Loyal
It explains why so many people dedicate their lives to achieving things that make them miserable. This might sound crazy, but an unseen force is pushing you towards empty and unfulfilling goals…

The book is called ‘Wanting’, by a guy named Luke Burgis. It’s about mimetic desire. An academic theory popularized by Peter Thiel. At face value, it barely sounds worth mentioning: When the people around you want something, we want it too…

Let’s say you’re at a bar. You’re about to order a beer but your friend orders a martini. “I’ll have one too actually” - you wanted a beer, but you were influenced to switch. Ok, so what? But now lets take it to the next level…

Let’s say your friend raises money for her startup. You start comparing. You're happily bootstrapped. “Why was she able to raise more?” “How did she get Sequoia on board?” "Wow that valuation..." “I should really raise a round”

You don’t realize you start assigning value to raising money because of your friend. It pushes you to raise a round. You didn't even need the money. You not only want to copy her, but you want to do better than her. Suddenly, you’re locked in a mimetic competition. Especially if ALL of the peers in your world are raising money. It quickly becomes a game of oneupsmanship.

If you live in San Francisco, for example, raising money, valuation, who your investors are, number of employees. These are the metrics by which your peer group collectively has defined success. But let’s say you lived in LA instead of San Francisco...Maybe you’d be competing on film credits. Awards. Which celebrities you know. Where you get restaurant reservations. Your car. Every peer group collectively wants and competes for the same things. Hang out with comedians and you’ll want a Netflix special. Hang out with writers and you’ll want to get published in The New Yorker. Hang out with athletes and you’ll want Olympic medals. And so on, and so on.

Of course, none of these desires relate in any way to your personal happiness or true desires. You don’t know realize it, but you want these things because other people want them. You might see this pattern in a group of friends. One person will buy a Tesla and it’s like a virus. A Model Y becomes the calling card of success. Gradually, everyone in the group slowly switches over to a Tesla.

Sometimes rebellious members of the group will instead MIRROR these wants. They do the opposite to try to make themselves seem unique or special. If one friend buys a Tesla, the other buys a vintage car and talks up the rumble of the engine and how much they love working on it on weekends. Despite the attempt to differentiate, they are still a falling into the pattern, with their desire for a new car defined by the pack. These waves of wanting splash over all of us constantly. It’s almost impossible to remain unaffected by it, even if you know what to look for. The key is to determine your true, intrinsic THICK desires and separate them from your false, extrinsic THIN desires.

For example: A thin desire is extrinsic (coming from others): You wanting to buy an expensive watch because your friend showed you theirs, even though you’ve never had any interest in watches or fashion. A thick desire is intrinsic (coming from within): You love quietly gardening on weekends and do it because you enjoy it. You’d do it even if you could never tell anyone about it on social media. You do it for yourself.

So, the question is: WHO is making you want the things you want? And more importantly: Do you ACTUALLY want these things? Are they thin or thick desires? Surround yourself with the wrong models you will be bound to artificial, unfulfilling goals.

Here's an example: There's a French chef named Sebastian Bras. Like any high level chef, his goal was to reach the pinnacle of cooking and be awarded a Michelin star. He got the star. But the victory was hollow. Instead of enjoying it, now he just wanted a second star. And once he got the second one, he just feared losing it. On top of that, he had to follow ridiculously strict rules about what it meant to be "in the club" and maintain the star.

He felt stifled by Michelin's rules, and he realized he had been competing for something he didn't want just because all his peers modelled it as important. He ended up doing something pretty baller: he told Michelin to remove him from the guide and revoke his star—he opted out.

So, how can you avoid Sebastian's fate of ending up spending your life pursuing something that doesn't actually make you happy? First, you have to figure out who your models are. A good trick to do this: think about who you DON'T want to succeed. Not overtly. But who do you track? Who are you a bit jealous of? Who are you competing with? It could be a peer, a friend, a co-worker—someone in your close orbit.

Ask yourself: is the path that this person is leading me down (via competition) a path that leads to goals that align with my real, intrinsic, thick desires. Would I be truly happy if I became like them? If you don't like what you see, then you need to prune who you're exposed to. Primarily: who do you spend time with? Who do you listen to? Who do you read? The goal is to spend time with models (peers who model desires to you) that share similar intrinsic desires to your own.

One way to think about it is the old adage: "You are the sum of your five best friends" Choose carefully, and don't spend time with people whose lives/desires don't line up with your intrinsic desires. There's a lot more to it, but that's the gist. Read the book, it's great.

9781800750562.jpg

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing. I believe as we age, our friends change.

As much as i want to continue to lim kopi with friends from my school days, i find myself meeting them less and less. Our wants start to differ.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very common “wanting” among young chicks in bay area. lululemon, yoga, blue bottle coffee, tesla, new apartment, kitty, macbook, instagram whoring.

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
One way to think about it is the old adage: "You are the sum of your five best friends" Choose carefully, and don't spend time with people whose lives/desires don't line up with your intrinsic desires.
That's true. If you want to compete, hang around with able competitors. It pushes you to the next level. However, if you ain't a competitor and want to lepak throughout, then hang around with lepak-ers. :roflmao:

Whatever it is, never hang around or even try to communicate with a siaolang like some singkie woman who has a house in jb. You will become siao together with her.

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scientists identify neurons in the brain that drive competition and social behavior within groups -- ScienceDaily

Illustration of neurons | Credit: © Siarhei / stock.adobe.com

"Social interactions in humans and animals occur most commonly in large groups, and these group interactions play a prominent role in sociology, ecology, psychology, economics and political science," says lead author S. William Li, an MD/PhD student at MGH.

"What processes in the brain drive the complex dynamic behavior of social groups remains poorly understood, in part because most neuroscience research thus far has focused on the behaviors of pairs of individuals interacting alone. Here, we were able to study the behavior of groups by developing a paradigm in which large cohorts of mice were wirelessly tracked across thousands of unique competitive group interactions."

Li and his colleagues found that the animals' social ranking in the group was closely linked to the results of competition, and by examining recordings from neurons in the brains of mice in real time, the team discovered that neurons in the anterior cingulate region of the brain store this social ranking information to inform upcoming decisions.

"Collectively, these neurons held remarkably detailed representations of the group's behavior and their dynamics as the animals competed together for food, in addition to information about the resources available and the outcome of their past interactions," explains senior author Ziv M. Williams, MD, a neurosurgical oncologist at MGH. "Together, these neurons could even predict the animal's own future success well before competition onset, meaning that they likely drove the animals' competitive behavior based on whom they interacted with."

Manipulating the activity of these neurons, on the other hand, could artificially increase or decrease an animal's competitive effort and therefore control their ability to successfully compete against others. "In other words, we could tune up and down the animal's competitive drive and do so selectively without affecting other aspects of their behavior such as simple speed or motivation," says Williams.

The findings indicate that competitive success is not simply a product of an animal's physical fitness or strength, but rather, is strongly influenced by signals in the brain that affect competitive drive. "These unique neurons are able to integrate information about the individual's environment, social group settings, and reward resources to calculate how to best behave under specific conditions," says Li.

In addition to providing insights into group behavior and competition in different sociologic or economic situations and other settings, identifying the neurons that control these characteristics may help scientists design experiments to better understand scenarios in which the brain is wired differently. "Many conditions manifest in aberrant social behavior that spans many dimensions, including one's ability to understand social norms and to display actions that may fit the dynamical structure of social groups," says Williams. "Developing an understanding of group behavior and competition holds relevance to these neurocognitive disorders, but until now, how this happens in the brain has largely remained unexplored."

Additional co-authors include Omer Zeliger, Leah Strahs, Raymundo Báez-Mendoza, Lance M. Johnson, and Adian McDonald Wojciechowski.
Funding for this research was provided by the National Institutes of Health, the Autism Science Foundation, an MGH-ECOR Fund for Medical Discovery Fellowship, and a NARSAD Young Investigator Grant from the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
My uncle's want is verlee different from the majority. 1 of it is to constantlee looking out for a long and dark nipples.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Problem with people is that they love to prove themselves superior to others despite being inferior in all areas.
Limpeh a lone ranger since young. Hate socializing or networking. Rather spend my precious time cultivating useful hobbies. Enjoy my solitude. No peer pressure or the urge to compete with other. I live my life on my own terms. 支持躺平主义 !

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
IQ The smart ones learn from others mistakes the fools repeat actions out of greed again and again hoping for 'chance' or better luck to happen instead of working towards it because with their low IQ & looks chance seems a better choice. lol.........

Everyone is already at it's best at any one time, is it not ? lol...

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe it has do to with a 'mai jin su' attitude - lacking the humility to accept that another person is superior to yourself.

The good one will try to improve himself to outclass you. The bad one will do nothing except to secretly wish for your quick downfall.