• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I can't be a S'porean anymore

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I Can’t Be A Singaporean Anymore – Deborah Tan

Posted on May 15, 2014

We’ll be celebrating our nation’s 50th birthday next year but Deborah Tan has the nagging feeling that it will also be the year she makes the decision whether she’ll call this place home.

I remember defending Singapore when friends studying overseas criticized the country for its many faults such as, the lack of press freedom, the near absence of an opposition party in Parliament, and its high costs of living. I was 19, idealistic, hopeful, and all I saw was a clean, safe, developed country, the country my teachers had shaped in my head over years of National Education. I remember feeling baffled whenever friends told me that they had voted for the opposition.

I couldn’t, for the life of me, imagine living anywhere else in the world.

But things have certainly changed over the last 15 years. As I grow older, I’ve become less certain whether I can continue living in this country, whether this is a place I will build a family in, and whether this is a place I will die in.

deborah_a_1.jpg

Is it going to be goodbye Singapore?

Grow Old With Me

My alma mater’s motto is “Grow old with me, the best is yet to be.” Is this the case for Singapore though? In a country with so much, how is it that its people constantly feel they have so little? So little time, so little money, so little freedom.

I feel almost embarrassed to have been blinded, for so many years, by how unfriendly this country is to its old people. This place is constantly building new malls and recreational places for the young and the active but what can our old people do to keep themselves mentally and physically entertained? Whatever green places we have, we convert into malls and condominiums. Our old people find themselves wasting their days away at void decks and in homes for the aged because there’s just no place that adequately caters to their needs. I often wonder how they feel wandering in a city they had helped build but has grown to be so strange and so unfamiliar to them.

In the 50 years of nation-building, what is this “nation” doing for the people who have helped build it? Singapore is a place for the young and healthy. Once you turn old, decrepit and “useless” you are forgotten.

The CPF Conundrum

I think the most repellant thing about Singapore right now is the way retirees are treated here. The message is clear: we are all worker ants feeding the queen, and we work for her until we are no longer able to, until we die from exhaustion. There is absolutely no way we can all enjoy our “golden years” with all the regulations surrounding our CPF money. Our government has decided that there is just one and only one way our retirees can use their hard-earned money.

It’s a pitiful existence, one that gives you enough to not die. If it’s our money, why are we not allowed to exercise autonomy over it?

The most heartbreaking thing, perhaps, is seeing our old people work so hard at foodcourt and at fast food restaurants, because whatever meager sums they have, they probably have to use it to pay their bills and loans … sums of money so huge, it was impossible to have paid them off by the time they retired.

If we have precious little to meet the minimum sum in the first place, will extending our misery by paying us a paltry amount every month help at all?

If being Singaporean means playing the CPF game, then, I can’t abide by the rules. I would have to seriously consider leaving my home of 30 over years behind.

Playground Of The Rich

And we are not invited. The indignity of being a Singaporean these days is how we are constantly being confronted by these gleaming condominiums and cars that are now priced way out of our reach. True, this island is simply too small for everyone to own a car. True, our HDB flats are some of the best examples of government housing in the world. However, we are just a less jarring version of a slum placed next to a majestic mansion, a sight one commonly sees in countries where the rich-poor divide has become too vast to close.

It is a beautiful country if you don’t dig too deep, don’t go too far, and don’t think too hard.

There is a small window of time in which you can make your money in this country. You’d better make it fast and you’d better make it big. Once you are past your prime, the consequences of being not rich are just too traumatic to bear.

I can’t be in a country that constantly tells me I don’t have enough. I will never have enough. Most of us will never retire with a million dollars in our CPF accounts, but we all know we want to spend our old age in dignity and in peace. If this isn’t the country to do that, perhaps we need to think about where else we can all go for that.

deborah_b.jpg

This is what many of our old people can never be.

About The Author: Deborah Tan is the founder of Material World. After 10 years of working in magazines Cleo and Cosmopolitan Singapore, she is now a freelance writer/editor who works on this website full-time. She is making it her goal to be debt-free by the time she’s 40. Follow her on Twitter @DebTanTweets.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP cannot even spare one islnd for the old folks. They used it sll for the petrochemical plants and storage tanks.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
My take is leave Singapore if you can.

If every country is on par with global technology and services and if you have the right degree leave Singapore. Then return as FT, minus NSF and already took out your CPF.

No reason to stay. If Pinoys with fake qualification can leave their country for your country why not you also leave.

Singapore is not a safe place anymore once LHL is kicked out. Old fart built Singapore on sinking sand, a bad karma for the Gen Y, Z and A Singaporeans.

Are you going to take arms against your fella ex-NSF citizens?

Singaporeans make are trained to kill in NSF and in a civil unrest crisis it is a deadly fight worst than Egypt.

I Can’t Be A Singaporean Anymore – Deborah Tan

Posted on May 15, 2014

We’ll be celebrating our nation’s 50th birthday next year but Deborah Tan has the nagging feeling that it will also be the year she makes the decision whether she’ll call this place home.

I remember defending Singapore when friends studying overseas criticized the country for its many faults such as, the lack of press freedom, the near absence of an opposition party in Parliament, and its high costs of living. I was 19, idealistic, hopeful, and all I saw was a clean, safe, developed country, the country my teachers had shaped in my head over years of National Education. I remember feeling baffled whenever friends told me that they had voted for the opposition.

I couldn’t, for the life of me, imagine living anywhere else in the world.

If we have precious little to meet the minimum sum in the first place, will extending our misery by paying us a paltry amount every month help at all?

If being Singaporean means playing the CPF game, then, I can’t abide by the rules. I would have to seriously consider leaving my home of 30 over years behind.

Playground Of The Rich

And we are not invited. The indignity of being a Singaporean these days is how we are constantly being confronted by these gleaming condominiums and cars that are now priced way out of our reach. True, this island is simply too small for everyone to own a car. True, our HDB flats are some of the best examples of government housing in the world. However, we are just a less jarring version of a slum placed next to a majestic mansion, a sight one commonly sees in countries where the rich-poor divide has become too vast to close.

It is a beautiful country if you don’t dig too deep, don’t go too far, and don’t think too hard.

There is a small window of time in which you can make your money in this country. You’d better make it fast and you’d better make it big. Once you are past your prime, the consequences of being not rich are just too traumatic to bear.

I can’t be in a country that constantly tells me I don’t have enough. I will never have enough. Most of us will never retire with a million dollars in our CPF accounts, but we all know we want to spend our old age in dignity and in peace. If this isn’t the country to do that, perhaps we need to think about where else we can all go for that.

deborah_b.jpg

This is what many of our old people can never be.

About The Author: Deborah Tan is the founder of Material World. After 10 years of working in magazines Cleo and Cosmopolitan Singapore, she is now a freelance writer/editor who works on this website full-time. She is making it her goal to be debt-free by the time she’s 40. Follow her on Twitter @DebTanTweets.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's an understatement to say that this country is unfriendly to elderly. Cruel should the the word. The sight of seniors pushing trolleys greet me each time I'm at Changi airport and many public places have seniors sweeping floor or cleaning tables. Some of these seniors even walk with difficulty or are hunchback. My heart aches for them. Yes, one can argue that they did not accumulate for their old age and hence end up having to do tough jobs in old age. But then again, not everyone has the intelligence or cunningness to earn a lot. Not all seniors go though a smooth sailing life with investments in their children paid off or waste a cent in medical needs. Whatever the reason, do we have to punish our Seniors like this? Can't they be accorded some respect and dignity for whatever small roles they have played in building up this nation?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
well said. The problem with PAP is that they made so much money in TH and GLCs from your CPF money.

Fucking cruel old fart is greedy to use the money to make more money. This bastard has no heart, he go burn in hell fire.

Without our CPF money there will be no TH and GLCs.

If TH and GLCs combined wealth exceed for raining day use, some money should be taken out to give to the old and poor. It is our hard earned money that they use in the first place.

It's an understatement to say that this country is unfriendly to elderly. Cruel should the the word. The sight of seniors pushing trolleys greet me each time I'm at Changi airport and many public places have seniors sweeping floor or cleaning tables. Some of these seniors even walk with difficulty or are hunchback. My heart aches for them. Yes, one can argue that they did not accumulate for their old age and hence end up having to do tough jobs in old age. But then again, not everyone has the intelligence or cunningness to earn a lot. Not all seniors go though a smooth sailing life with investments in their children paid off or waste a cent in medical needs. Whatever the reason, do we have to punish our Seniors like this? Can't they be accorded some respect and dignity for whatever small roles they have played in building up this nation?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore is run like a corporation, a transit hotel.

Nature and historical sites have been destroyed.

The pappies treat Singaporeans like batteries, extracting every ounce of value from them before discarding them away.

This is not natural. This is not normal. This is sick and twisted, and degenerates take glee in it.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Deborah Tan is the founder of Material World. After 10 years of working in magazines Cleo and Cosmopolitan Singapore, she is now a freelance writer/editor who works on this website full-time. She is making it her goal to be debt-free by the time she’s 40. Follow her on Twitter @DebTanTweets.

this type of useless wankers confirm CMI in farang cuntry with (n real skills except talkcock n singsong), then cum back as an FT like gilbert goh. bloody disgusting.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
actually being a sinkie is a total failure and a disgrace.

it is good that you wise up and move away from the ball-less population. it will do yourself and your future generation a whole lots of good.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If SGs give up now, we shall be falling nicely into the trap of the FAP Traitors. This is what they are engineering SGs into - giving up all that they have built up FOC and without a fight to the FAP cronies and FTrash pet, so that 1 Familee can perpetuate its rule. There is a way out for SGs, which is to unite and topple the evil Leegime and bring the FAP Traitors to justice, and get back all the $ and other assets they they have siphoned out of SGs into what is left of GeeAyeSee and Temasick. But to give up without fight - this will be the biggest mistake of SGs!

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The CPF Conundrum

I think the most repellant thing about Singapore right now is the way retirees are treated here. The message is clear: we are all worker ants feeding the queen, and we work for her until we are no longer able to, until we die from exhaustion. There is absolutely no way we can all enjoy our “golden years” with all the regulations surrounding our CPF money. Our government has decided that there is just one and only one way our retirees can use their hard-earned money.

It’s a pitiful existence, one that gives you enough to not die. If it’s our money, why are we not allowed to exercise autonomy over it?

The most heartbreaking thing, perhaps, is seeing our old people work so hard at foodcourt and at fast food restaurants, because whatever meager sums they have, they probably have to use it to pay their bills and loans … sums of money so huge, it was impossible to have paid them off by the time they retired.

Pay you a paltry amount every month? You wait long long lah......Look, minimum sum set aside at age 55 and then you wait till 62, then you've this paltry sum per month.........that is 7 years later. They even want to delay it till 65 and then 67. If you've nothing to take out at age 55, you're on your fucking own.........Wake up!!

YellowRibbon

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am thinking of quitting citizenship and taking out all my CPF money ($60000) out ....

This amount i can retire and lead a quiet life in a village in China

But what is the procedure ???

GoldenPeriod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can migrate but can she get a job in Ang Moh lands first.

Remember in Ang Moh lands, they given their own people the good jobs.

In Sinkie land, it is the opposite.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
She is making it her goal to be debt-free by the time she’s 40. Follow her on Twitter @DebTanTweets.

There's her problem. She's aiming to be debt free at 40 but what she should be aiming for is financial independence by that age. There's a big difference.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can migrate but can she get a job in Ang Moh lands first.

Remember in Ang Moh lands, they given their own people the good jobs.

In Sinkie land, it is the opposite.

no worries. they love giving jobs to high brow, snobby, snooty pretenders and wannabes of the spg genre. you'll see a lot of tight-arse asian chicks working in angmo land. they're the rage these days. you've gotta have one or two of them in your team in the office. 1 neh, 1 desi, 1 pinoy, 1 hispanic, 1 black, and 2 asian chicks to meet the diversity quota. :p

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
no worries. they love giving jobs to high brow, snobby, snooty pretenders and wannabes of the spg genre. you'll see a lot of tight-arse asian chicks working in angmo land. they're the rage these days. you've gotta have one or two of them in your team in the office. 1 neh, 1 desi, 1 pinoy, 1 hispanic, 1 black, and 2 asian chicks to meet the diversity quota. :p

you can claim refugee status.