• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I am speaking up for our working poor

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4462-i-am-speaking-up-for-our-working-poor

Tuesday, 28 December 2010
James Gomez

jg.jpg

For me the most important political challenge today is to help Singapore's Working Poor caught in the urban poverty trap.

The different policy ideas enumerated in SDP`s alternative economic programme, It`s About You, address an important area of policy concern - the issue of Singapore's Working Poor.

This is why I joined the SDP.

Singapore's Working Poor are individuals and families who maintain regular and intermittent low paid employment but remain in relative poverty. Essentially, their incomes are insufficient or just meet the basic consumption expenditure needs.

As a guide let us refer to the 2010 3rd quarter household median income of $3,754 published by the Ministry of Manpower. We know many households don’t generate this amount of income and, of those who do, many still struggle to meet their household consumption and expenditure.

This is due to the depressed levels of pay caused by cheap foreign labour and the high living costs associated with an urban environment like Singapore.

Many countries have applied Minimum Wage to combat poverty traps in their systems and, from time to time, they adjust the Minimum Wage levels to match the rise in inflation.

The SDP's and my policy answer is Minimum Wage. Combined with the other recommendations in SDP's economic programme, such as the Singaporeans First Policy, such a measure will help Singapore structure a more equitable and, therefore, sustainable economy.

The combination of a Minimum Wage structure with the Singaporeans First Policy will ensure that Singaporeans are employed first. It will also prevent the local economy from being artificially and overly reliant on cheap foreign labour.

The life of lowly paid foreign workers in Singapore is not easy.

The PAP Government and foreign businesses exploit them by paying them low wages. Foreign workers live in difficult circumstances in high-cost Singapore and among a population which is uneasy with their large numbers.

Unfortunately, the PAP neither believes in Minimum Wage nor the prevention of exploitation of low-wage foreign workers. It is joined by foreign business and their high-income earning foreigners who live and play in Singapore.

Collectively, the PAP and foreign business prefer that the current depressed wages be maintained without any form of fixed Minimum Wage. They hold this view in spite of the reality that such low wages are insufficient for many in Singapore.

The PAP and the high-salaried foreigners and businesses do not think Minimum Wage is the way to go for our workers. Instead they spend time arguing about maximum wage levels for themselves and ask our poorly paid workers to work harder and faster.

This is an unacceptable position. Come this general elections, we need to put a stop to this exploitation of Singapore`s Working Poor and cheap foreign labour.

We need to send a strong signal to the PAP to stop paying themselves millions of dollars from your tax payments and for the elite foreigner workers from benefitting from your low labour costs while they collectively continue to keep YOU poor.

I believe this will be one of the main areas in policy-making for Singapore in years to come and a topic of debate for the next general elections. This is why I am speaking up and standing up for Singapore's Working Poor.

Since the PAP and foreign business will not speak up for this segment of the population, we in the SDP will.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Tell him no need to tok so much, his paperwork swee swee and by the book, no cock ups his time, Singaporeans very happy already...

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tell him no need to tok so much, his paperwork swee swee and by the book, no cock ups his time, Singaporeans very happy already...

That is true. Just remember the basics when it comes to Nomination Day. No need 'cheemology' topics. History has a habit of repeating itself. Let's see.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The day this guy signed up with SDP, any hope for SDP to do better than their last outing vanished in thin air. This guy probably holds the record for setting up the most number of political organisations in one form or another with nothing to show for it.

Lee5604

Alfrescian
Loyal
He sounds like many of his kind, who talks so much but cannot deliver the goods. It's worse than being NATO.

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Helping the working poor is the most idiotic campaign slogan I have ever heard. The poor only consist of at most 10% of the population. So Mr Gomez is going to get at most 15% of the votes and lose his deposit:oIo:

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4462-i-am-speaking-up-for-our-working-poor

Tuesday, 28 December 2010
James Gomez

jg.jpg

For me the most important political challenge today is to help Singapore's Working Poor caught in the urban poverty trap.

The different policy ideas enumerated in SDP`s alternative economic programme, It`s About You, address an important area of policy concern - the issue of Singapore's Working Poor.

This is why I joined the SDP.

Singapore's Working Poor are individuals and families who maintain regular and intermittent low paid employment but remain in relative poverty. Essentially, their incomes are insufficient or just meet the basic consumption expenditure needs.

As a guide let us refer to the 2010 3rd quarter household median income of $3,754 published by the Ministry of Manpower. We know many households don’t generate this amount of income and, of those who do, many still struggle to meet their household consumption and expenditure.

This is due to the depressed levels of pay caused by cheap foreign labour and the high living costs associated with an urban environment like Singapore.

Many countries have applied Minimum Wage to combat poverty traps in their systems and, from time to time, they adjust the Minimum Wage levels to match the rise in inflation.

The SDP's and my policy answer is Minimum Wage. Combined with the other recommendations in SDP's economic programme, such as the Singaporeans First Policy, such a measure will help Singapore structure a more equitable and, therefore, sustainable economy.

The combination of a Minimum Wage structure with the Singaporeans First Policy will ensure that Singaporeans are employed first. It will also prevent the local economy from being artificially and overly reliant on cheap foreign labour.

The life of lowly paid foreign workers in Singapore is not easy.

The PAP Government and foreign businesses exploit them by paying them low wages. Foreign workers live in difficult circumstances in high-cost Singapore and among a population which is uneasy with their large numbers.

Unfortunately, the PAP neither believes in Minimum Wage nor the prevention of exploitation of low-wage foreign workers. It is joined by foreign business and their high-income earning foreigners who live and play in Singapore.

Collectively, the PAP and foreign business prefer that the current depressed wages be maintained without any form of fixed Minimum Wage. They hold this view in spite of the reality that such low wages are insufficient for many in Singapore.

The PAP and the high-salaried foreigners and businesses do not think Minimum Wage is the way to go for our workers. Instead they spend time arguing about maximum wage levels for themselves and ask our poorly paid workers to work harder and faster.

This is an unacceptable position. Come this general elections, we need to put a stop to this exploitation of Singapore`s Working Poor and cheap foreign labour.

We need to send a strong signal to the PAP to stop paying themselves millions of dollars from your tax payments and for the elite foreigner workers from benefitting from your low labour costs while they collectively continue to keep YOU poor.

I believe this will be one of the main areas in policy-making for Singapore in years to come and a topic of debate for the next general elections. This is why I am speaking up and standing up for Singapore's Working Poor.

Since the PAP and foreign business will not speak up for this segment of the population, we in the SDP will.

For once, to save my soul and time, i wont bother to debate or rebute the above. However, I would still think and even believe james had made himself a political liablity and now a business liablity since he does not seem to address the balance but choose to be populist.

Singapore need capable opposition, not populist opposition.

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
The working poor of Singapore are mostly uneducated and the most easily bought over by sweeteners LOL...

SDP is playing to the wrong gallery as always:biggrin:

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is just using the "poor" to get political support

If you want to help the poor, you don't need to be a MP.

Just set up a charity or NGO.

Fucking loser. His SG citizenship should be stripped.

kiss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gomez is better than all the Nobel armchair critic here... eg. Ivbird, Clinton :biggrin::biggrin:

I hope they perform 3somes to punish each other arse :biggrin:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I think is great that someone is thinking of speaking out for the poor.

However, Gomez comes from a wealthy background and I wonder how he could speak for the poor??? How to think and feel for the poor, when he has never been poor? Does he know what is hunger?

I don't think highly of anyone who quit WP and join SDP. Sylvia Lim is the best Opposition Member in recent years!!!!!

:rolleyes:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I think is great that someone is thinking of speaking out for the poor.

However, Gomez comes from a wealthy background and I wonder how he could speak for the poor??? How to think and feel for the poor, when he has never been poor? Does he know what is hunger?

I don't think highly of anyone who quit WP and join SDP. Sylvia Lim is the best Opposition Member in recent years!!!!!

:rolleyes:

i supposed that includes a certain former WP member who is now a secgen of a fringe opposition party? :rolleyes:

LonewolfAlfa

Alfrescian
Loyal
did he really forget to submit his nomination form or what? how can someone forget something so important?

or he pretend one? maybe not enough money for the deposit and pretend to forget to submit the nomination form.

like those whose credit card got rejected for payment at the petrol kiosk but keep making alot of noise insisting that its the machine's fault bank fault god's fault.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...he was actually trying to be funny...
he claimed he submitted...but was caught naked by the CCTV...
this guy got integrity problem....