• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How's your career?

ChokBoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
My company not doing well. My team worked very hard but margins are poor and competitors in China are selling finished products below the cost of raw materials. I am not exaggerating. They just need to grow revenue, suppliers and banks will extend credit, until they close down, then another similar company will emerge somewhere in China.

I feel very lost, I am in 40s, when I look at my friends who are teachers and read the articles about SAF best units today, I feel so envious because they are in a more secured job than me by these age. It's a risk that I faced for choosing a private sector job.

It is not that I didn't plan for my life, my family only went for tours twice in the past decade, I didn't indulge in luxuries, just a weekly family fine-out. I got some savings and non-profitable investments, enough to see my kids through tertiary education even if I am jobless, but nothing left for myself thereafter.

Sooner or later, I will be retrenched. I tried looking for other jobs but given the same experience-level in marketing, companies seek youth and beautiful people because they make the company look good. My remaining realistic job options require a real career switch, likely below $2800 a month in F&B, security, healthcare, transport, etc.

Finally when I look around me, I feel that this is the path that many are going through. What does the future hold for my kids?

ChokBoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good thing is you have sufficient funds to finance your kids education. And once they have graduated, your burden won't be so heavy.

Thanks brother.
Ya, that's the consolation for my conservative approach.
But this is Singapore, education and health issues will wipe out your savings.

I just find it hard to swallow that I have little left after years of working.

ChokBoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most people will go through the same vicious cycle like me, there is no social security to talk about.
What kind of future does our kids have

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks brother.
Ya, that's the consolation for my conservative approach.
But this is Singapore, education and health issues will wipe out your savings.

I just find it hard to swallow that I have little left after years of working.

The way i see it, kids are your best investment now. Just pray they don't turn out to be spoilt brats who waste their time away at clubs, ask u for money etc.

On the income side, try renting out a room. Sure, u lose some privacy, but that's an easy $700 per month (assuming u stay in a flat) if u rent out to a couple. Now that u have this passive income, u need to work on other streams. Current job seems deadend. Not sure what industry u are in. But some industries are plain dead like a fax machine.

U can consider teaching. This is for mid career change professionals.

https://www.moe.gov.sg/careers/teach/how-to-apply/teaching-schemes/mid-career-professionals

ChokBoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
The way i see it, kids are your best investment now. Just pray they don't turn out to be spoilt brats who waste their time away at clubs, ask u for money etc.

On the income side, try renting out a room. Sure, u lose some privacy, but that's an easy $700 per month (assuming u stay in a flat) if u rent out to a couple. Now that u have this passive income, u need to work on other streams. Current job seems deadend. Not sure what industry u are in. But some industries are plain dead like a fax machine.

U can consider teaching. This is for mid career change professionals.

https://www.moe.gov.sg/careers/teach/how-to-apply/teaching-schemes/mid-career-professionals

Thank you brother.

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe that these days nobody anyhow change jobs even for a better salary. Most above 40 years old folks will stay on their current jobs even everything is stagnant.

If you are having a stable income now although lower than market rate salary, it’s not advisable to take risk to change job.

Changing jobs involved a great risk in these decade :poop:

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
My company not doing well. My team worked very hard but margins are poor and competitors in China are selling finished products below the cost of raw materials. I am not exaggerating. They just need to grow revenue, suppliers and banks will extend credit, until they close down, then another similar company will emerge somewhere in China.

I feel very lost, I am in 40s, when I look at my friends who are teachers and read the articles about SAF best units today, I feel so envious because they are in a more secured job than me by these age. It's a risk that I faced for choosing a private sector job.

It is not that I didn't plan for my life, my family only went for tours twice in the past decade, I didn't indulge in luxuries, just a weekly family fine-out. I got some savings and non-profitable investments, enough to see my kids through tertiary education even if I am jobless, but nothing left for myself thereafter.

Sooner or later, I will be retrenched. I tried looking for other jobs but given the same experience-level in marketing, companies seek youth and beautiful people because they make the company look good. My remaining realistic job options require a real career switch, likely below $2800 a month in F&B, security, healthcare, transport, etc.

Finally when I look around me, I feel that this is the path that many are going through. What does the future hold for my kids?
KNN a career switch for the 40s in f&b or healthcare for 2.8k is way out. you should be looking at $800 to $1200 KNN