• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How I avoided becoming a victim of MLM

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got it right. Our economy is a huge pyramid scheme: all the taxes, compulsory CPF contributions and consumer spending of the middle and lower classes go straight to the leeches at the top, just like membership fees paid by new members in an MLM scheme. And like the MLM, there's no trickle down, because people with wealth and money at the top manipulate the laws and tweak the free market to benefit themselves further by exploiting the workers.

Such an economy will implode. A sustainable economy can only be achieved if wealth is redistributed equitably, resulting in a broad-based mass of consumers who can create a continual demand for goods beyond basic necessities.

Fortunately we have White Paper approved. Otherwise we run out of downline lah.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
All MLMs operate on two fundamental principles.

PRINCIPLE ONE:
Selling you hopes and dreams. It's not the product they're selling you. The product is merely a prop on the stage. No, they reel you in with grandiose promises ("Own your own business!" Work at your own time!" "Look at our members' success stories!" "Retire comfortably!").

Once you're in, you have to mix around with the 'right' kind of people, read the 'right' kind of literature, and don't forget to attend seminars where they get celebrities to endorse the company and bombard you with upbeat music and applause. They're getting you into a state of emotional high so you are less likely to leave.

PRINCIPLE TWO:
Recruitment. Yes, sometimes it's disguised as making an upfront payment to buy a 'starter kit' but the concept is the same: you become a member, become someone else's downline. Once you've signed up, someone else further up the food chain makes some money. That is the so-called success story.

It's sad there are so many gullible people, but sometimes people have to learn the hard way as we navigate through life.

P.S: Don't depend on the scummy, incompetent CASE to protect your rights. The PAP govt is unabashedly pro-business, its institutions can never be entrusted to protect the rights of citizens. It could have nipped this in the bud many years ago, but it didn't. That should speak volumes.

Sound like Christianity :wink: they also sell you dreams , also ask celebrity to endorse their " product " :wink: , also ask the member to recruit another member :wink:

" I am not talking to you with the intention of getting you to buy ANYTHING. All I want is to share the good news with you "

This sentence also sound like what Christian used to said " I'm not trying to convert you , I'm just sharing God words " :wink:

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is what i have observed, it is very difficult to sell things to sinkies.

Agree 100%. It is very difficult to sell things to sinkies.

Only 1 or 2 things can be very easily sold to Sinkies. 1. HDB, and to a lesser extent, Condo's. 2. Mortgage loans. That's why the Gov't has to clamp down hard on the markets for 1. and 2. Because too many people were rushing for them, and thus threatening to destabilise the market.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree 100%. It is very difficult to sell things to sinkies.

Only 1 or 2 things can be very easily sold to Sinkies. 1. HDB, and to a lesser extent, Condo's. 2. Mortgage loans. That's why the Gov't has to clamp down hard on the markets for 1. and 2. Because too many people were rushing for them, and thus threatening to destabilise the market.

its not because sinkies are hard to sell to,its because 9.9 out of 10 times in singapore,the salesperson is selling u garbage or junk that u absolutely do not need.i suppose thats why they need salespeople,to push crap that people would never buy in a million years without them spending 30 minutes trying to convince your reluctant

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All MLMs operate on two fundamental principles.

PRINCIPLE ONE:
Selling you hopes and dreams. It's not the product they're selling you. The product is merely a prop on the stage. No, they reel you in with grandiose promises ("Own your own business!" Work at your own time!" "Look at our members' success stories!" "Retire comfortably!").

Once you're in, you have to mix around with the 'right' kind of people, read the 'right' kind of literature, and don't forget to attend seminars where they get celebrities to endorse the company and bombard you with upbeat music and applause. They're getting you into a state of emotional high so you are less likely to leave.

PRINCIPLE TWO:
Recruitment. Yes, sometimes it's disguised as making an upfront payment to buy a 'starter kit' but the concept is the same: you become a member, become someone else's downline. Once you've signed up, someone else further up the food chain makes some money. That is the so-called success story.

It's sad there are so many gullible people, but sometimes people have to learn the hard way as we navigate through life.

P.S: Don't depend on the scummy, incompetent CASE to protect your rights. The PAP govt is unabashedly pro-business, its institutions can never be entrusted to protect the rights of citizens. It could have nipped this in the bud many years ago, but it didn't. That should speak volumes.

Yes, I recall many years back on the recommendation of a friend to buy a starter kit, I recall it cost almost 200 dollars, more as a favor rather than interest.
Anyway after that didn't really hear from them as well. If I recall correctly the company was Amway.

There was another instance where I received call from long time colleague, both of them, female invited me to some talk, told them was not interested, but kept asking to attend. So say ok, but was told need to pay to attend the talk, I think was 100dollars to buy a kit, CDs, reading materials etc. told them, if need to pay then forget it.

Meanwhile one if them say, ok, no need to attend, but she will lend me her CDs for initial review, took it from her, but did not really bother to listen to it. 1 week later was asked whether interested to join, told them no, best part came when they told me I have to pay 25 dollars for the CD, told them they could have it back. And they actually took it back. Come to think if it, really had a good laugh. They even have their up line to talk to me on the virtue of joining, promoting their health products, but cost few hundreds to thousand to buy from them, with rebate for you, if you get others to join.

Sounds familiar.......

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, the same technique has been used in many religious groups from Scientology to Jehovah witnesses.

Sound like Christianity :wink: they also sell you dreams , also ask celebrity to endorse their " product " :wink: , also ask the member to recruit another member :wink:

" I am not talking to you with the intention of getting you to buy ANYTHING. All I want is to share the good news with you "

This sentence also sound like what Christian used to said " I'm not trying to convert you , I'm just sharing God words " :wink:

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, the same technique has been used in many religious groups from Scientology to Jehovah witnesses.

alot of these charismatic churches like CHC, etc. are also MLM effectively. con stupid gullibles with a non-existent products like "heaven, afterlife virgins, etc" collect money every month(tithes) and ask them to recruit more members like MLM and pyramid schemes. only the top like KH can afford to live in sentosa and give his lieutenants fat salaries like in MLM. no wonder LKY said sinkies are daft. last time I really farked up some of these stupid idiots who tried to convert me and tell them to go to hell. Really feels good when you have money and in position of power.