• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat How do you do parallel parking ?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Speaking as a person who parallel parks easily (first shot in, no adjustment), I can only say that all these rules — and poles — are there to be learned and then discarded, since individual adjustments have to be made for each car because of differing car width, wheelbase length, turning radius and seat height (affecting windscreen view and perspective).

But a few useful tips:

1. Always keep close to the car in front (2 to 3 feet).
2. Align your car at a slight acute angle — rather than parallel — to the car in front before reversing.
3. Never turn full lock at the start of reversing. Rather, turn the steering gradually and adjust as you move into the space.
4. Use the left wing mirror (not available when I was learning driving in '81) to judge when you should start turning the wheel back, usually when the left rear wheel is within 6" of the kerb. Helps if the left wing mirror is tilted down slightly.
5. Finally use the rear bumper sensor/camera to help you get as close as possible to the car behind, before moving forward to straighten and centre the car in the lot.

Most ang moh expats I know are hopeless at reverse parking and parallel parking in tight spots. I know this Asia-Pac head from the Midwest who only knew how to turn into a lot ('space' in the US) head in first. He tried reversing his BMW 7 series long wheelbase on his first attempt to park in a shopping mall parking lot and crashed his car. Lots are much bigger in Australia, Canada and the US, and most times you just forward park. When it comes to parallel parking kerbside, their parking spaces are much longer and wider than ours, so there's more room for error.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Speaking as a person who parallel parks easily (first shot in, no adjustment), I can only say that all these rules — and poles — are there to be learned and then discarded, since individual adjustments have to be made for each car because of differing car width, wheelbase length, turning radius and seat height (affecting windscreen view and perspective).

But a few useful tips:

1. Always keep close to the car in front (2 to 3 feet).
2. Align your car at a slight acute angle — rather than parallel — to the car in front before reversing.
3. Never turn full lock at the start of reversing. Rather, turn the steering gradually and adjust as you move into the space.
4. Use the left wing mirror (not available when I was learning driving in '81) to judge when you should start turning the wheel back, usually when the left rear wheel is within 6" of the kerb. Helps if the left wing mirror is tilted down slightly.
5. Finally use the rear bumper sensor/camera to help you get as close as possible to the car behind, before moving forward to straighten and centre the car in the lot.

Most ang moh expats I know are hopeless at reverse parking and parallel parking in tight spots. I know this Asia-Pac head from the Midwest who only knew how to turn into a lot ('space' in the US) head in first. He tried reversing his BMW 7 series long wheelbase on his first attempt to park in a shopping mall parking lot and crashed his car. Lots are much bigger in Australia, Canada and the US, and most times you just forward park. When it comes to parallel parking kerbside, their parking spaces are much longer and wider than ours, so there's more room for error.

Thanks for the tips. That means virus method slowly at 30 degree is not a joke.
Usually when being pressured by horn I will park at near 45degree and let the car pass, since i can no loner follow any rules. Sometime I even leave it near 45 degree so long the tip does not come out of the line too much so that later drive off will be easier. Not sure if will get summon.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is inclined parking part of the lesson in sf schools ?
2 decades ago class 2b license in sg does not have lesson on public road. The first day I collected my fzr150 I met a minor accident and bike sent to workshop on the same day :(

driver school is very easy. can learn with automatic. many new drivers know jackshit about manual these days. can go to dmv in a flat suburb like mountain view and pass with flying colors. then drive in sf. few do their drivers' tests in sf, and if they do they are usually fresh off the boat gong cheebyes. it's a horrendous traffic condition to drive even for driving experts. no, the test in california does not include parallel and reverse parking, nor stopping on a steep incline and using manual shift, clutch, brake, handbrake to hold and move forward.