• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Housekeeping to reduce size of database

Lordshiva

Alfrescian
Loyal
It can't be helped.

Why bother to give this forum a modicum of balance? This is a free for all forum. This is a gathering of minds of people who dislike the PAP policies, albeit of various degrees. That's the reputation of this forum.

The forum owner has other ideas for this place. It is then up to individuals to decide if they like the change in this forum or to move on.

While we see this forum as a place to vent, rant and to be entertained, this forum is a business after all. It costs the owner money and he would want a good return for his investment.

Yes I agree that Sam need money to run this forum as well . If I'm him , I will try to squeeze as much money as I can in this forum . I'm a practical man :wink: . I also agree that this is his forum and we must not expect so many things here . Actucally if I'm the host of this forum I don't even want to explain myself for my action . Why should I explain so much cause I can't make all the members here happy .

TakKiewPeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
The job of Mods is simply to keep spam out and do housekeeping. If they start deleting threads just because of the opinions expressed therein, they'll be relieved of their posts immediately.

There is nothing wrong with being Pro PAP as most of their policies make a lot of sense.... far more so than those of the WP.

Boss, I thought you said Mods have Infraction power? You said you wanted to limit Infraction power to Mods, right? So how do you penalize a Mod who Infract indiscriminately just because of some strange personal reasons? Relief him after 3 strikes over a stipulated period of time? If you do that, a smart Mod will not infract for fear and you're back to square one. If you're no deterent, then the Mod can abuse it. How do handle such stuff?

You do that, IMHO, is to nominate carefully and not with an aloofness "devil may care" that is characteristic of you Boss.

Lordshiva

Alfrescian
Loyal
The alternative is to be socially apathetic. No one uses anyone else unless it's agreeable. You can see lots of social activists in your neighbourhood kopitiam. To snuff off such voices is tantamount to caging the human spirit and the human spirit cannot be caged for ever or the person dies with its death.

Social activist are usually very emotional ppl there's good and bad too . Good because they can speak for you when things are not right . Bad is , they will can be used . because they are emotional ppl that's why many groups love and easy to use them to create so called awareness .

TakKiewPeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I agree that Sam need money to run this forum as well . If I'm him , I will try to squeeze as much money as I can in this forum . I'm a practical man :wink: . I also agree that this is his forum and we must not expect so many things here . Actucally if I'm the host of this forum I don't even want to explain myself for my action . Why should I explain so much cause I can't make all the members here happy .

This is because Sammyboy.com is a brand. Even though Boss says it's his own forum, with branding, there is social and "corporate" responsibility, even though it is an entirely private entity leh.

TakKiewPeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Social activist are usually very emotional ppl there's good and bad too . Good because they can speak for you when things are not right . Bad is , they will can be used . because they are emotional ppl that's why many groups love and easy to use them to create so called awareness .

I already said. The alternative to passion (read: emotional) is apathy. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Lordshiva

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is because Sammyboy.com is a brand. Even though Boss says it's his own forum, with branding, there is social and "corporate" responsibility, even though it is an entirely private entity leh.

That make sense :wink: . actucally I already find a lot of freedom on this forum compared to other forum that I know of .

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Boss, I thought you said Mods have Infraction power? You said you wanted to limit Infraction power to Mods, right? So how do you penalize a Mod who Infract indiscriminately just because of some strange personal reasons? Relief him after 3 strikes over a stipulated period of time? If you do that, a smart Mod will not infract for fear and you're back to square one. If you're no deterent, then the Mod can abuse it. How do handle such stuff?

You do that, IMHO, is to nominate carefully and not with an aloofness "devil may care" that is characteristic of you Boss.

Mods don't need infraction power. They work via the mod control panel which is not visible to others.

99% don't want to be mods. I give it to people who volunteer whom I think have the potential to do a good job. There are some that I think would be excellent but they don't want to do it.

I have lost many mods who have ended up disheartened after a couple of months because they can't take the abuse.

Mods will come and go but I am always here as long as I am still alive and kicking.

TakKiewPeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
That make sense :wink: . actucally I already find a lot of freedom on this forum compared to other forum that I know of .

Yes, that is term as branding. You brand yourself as a platform where freedom of expression is encouraged, but then, you also needs to imbue responsibility in expression.

If you've a shoutbox, then all vulgarities can be reserved in there and keep the forum clean for debates and discussion.

Then you can also have a folder for Sharing....this folder can be light-hearted.

If members post wrongly in wrong folders, they'll be warned and if that fails, BANNED. This is what MOST FORUMS do. And it works.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Don't give him more headaches. Just let the forum be. If the mod exercises bias, you have the right to call him out. The success of this forum is dependent on the members; without a following, this forum is worthless. So, you can expect that the mods will want to do as the boss tells them as the boss wants to realize his vision and get a healthy return.

We shall see.

TakKiewPeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mods don't need infraction power. They work via the mod control panel which is not visible to others.

99% don't want to be mods. I give it to people who volunteer whom I think have the potential to do a good job. There are some that I think would be excellent but they don't want to do it.

I have lost many mods who have ended up disheartened after a couple of months because they can't take the abuse.

Mods will come and go but I am always here as long as I am still alive and kicking.

You have already said that giving Infraction power to members was a big mistake and yet you're still not doing anything about it? Just because some paid you for InfP power? You'll have abuse and nonsense.

I really think you should just make it flat. Make all members have same privileges and you will have pro-PAP members, especially newbies daring to speak up and you will achieve your holy grail of freedom of expression here.

All this reputation points is self-serving and let it be so then. Not to give rep power any explicit privileges and power and leave it as just a trophy of achievement to masturbate over and the forum will blossom with a myriad of debates and discussions because everyone feels safe to speak out and share.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You have already said that giving Infraction power to members was a big mistake

I've retained infraction power but I've removed the ban when 20 infraction points are reached.

What I'll do is go through the infraction log daily and review. Those who deserve bans will be banned by me via the control panel.

Giving infraction power is not my mistake. My mistake is in giving members more credit than they deserve to behave in a responsible manner. I can't believe that there are actually people who want to silence pro govt voices. There is nothing wrong with being pro government.

TakKiewPeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't give him more headaches. Just let the forum be. If the mod exercises bias, you have the right to call him out. The success of this forum is dependent on the members; without a following, this forum is worthless. So, you can expect that the mods will want to do as the boss tells them as the boss wants to realize his vision and get a healthy return.

We shall see.

I feel that all these troubles the forum had been facing is that some members are victimized by the rep system and the attendant abuse of it. This culling of the 110 accounts merely leave those InfP accounts a fertile playground for warlording. That's all I'm saying. No hard feelings to anyone lah.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
IHP, i actually share your sentiment. last time only a few power bro and everything peaceful and balance. even clinton666 was ok. i also don't like to zap or give infraction. but suddenly everyone started doing it and escalate into clones war. using clones ac to zap, give infraction, pm to curse and threaten people. this is not the forum i used to know. what samleong said is incorrect, it is the anti pap got threaten and curse through pm to silence them. last time where got such thing??? agree to disagree. now even pm to threaten people, this forum spiral down the longkang man.

it is not the old samsters who abuse the system but the new members,

Spoken like a true blue WP hypocrite. See below:

BTW, how do the likes of you and your pack of rabid WP chauvinists and WP race bigots plan to censor the non-WP voices now that Sam is taking away your banning rights?

2 Weeks Ago
16-02-2013 06:12 AM
You have received an infraction at Sam's Alfresco Coffee
Jah_rastafar_I

Last Month
30-01-2013 02:18 AM
Jah_rastafar_I

Older
29-01-2013 03:03 AM
moolightaffairs

23-01-2013 02:34 PM
moolightaffairs

15-01-2013 08:45 PM
moolightaffairs

14-01-2013 08:03 PM
LordElrond

TakKiewPeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've retained infraction power but I've removed the ban when 20 infraction points are reached.

What I'll do is go through the infraction log daily and review. Those who deserve bans will be banned by me via the control panel.

Boss, if you don't mind me saying, give you an example of Moonlightaffairs and Laksaboy. Moonlightaffairs will infract and he dare to infract. So will Laksaboy. They are personalities here that will click the Infraction icon, no matter if the sky will fall down on them or not. They're like that.

If you finally ban them, you will lose 2 great members here who can contribute, though sometimes they're the tendency to go overboard. If you don't ban them, they will come off thinking you have a light hand.

The obvious solution is do away with Infraction feature. The zap feature can remain, but it should be tweaked to be fair and open. Right now, it's pretty opaque, just like the AIMgate fiasco. Just my .5c worth.

Last edited:

Lordshiva

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, that is term as branding. You brand yourself as a platform where freedom of expression is encouraged, but then, you also needs to imbue responsibility in expression.

If you've a shoutbox, then all vulgarities can be reserved in there and keep the forum clean for debates and discussion.

Then you can also have a folder for Sharing....this folder can be light-hearted.

If members post wrongly in wrong folders, they'll be warned and if that fails, BANNED. This is what MOST FORUMS do. And it works.

The funny thing is we have a quiet zone which no one ppl want to visit :wink: and we have a political folder but members prefer to post their political view here . And we have a religion folder but some religion nuts like to post it here too . I used to warn those idiot who posted their religious view here . But some seems to do it on purpose . Yes freedom of speech also needed to exercise responsibility too . Freedom of speech is always under attack by Fascist mentality, which exists in all parts of the world, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Boss, if you don't mind me saying, give you an example of Moonlightaffairs and Laksaboy. Moonlightaffairs will infract and he dare to infract. So will Laksaboy. They are personalities here that will click the Infraction icon, no matter if the sky will fall down on them or not. They're like that.

If you finally ban them, you will lose 2 great members here who can contribute, though sometimes they're the tendency to go overboard. If you don't ban them, they will come off thinking you have a light hand.

The obvious solution is do away with Infraction feature. The zap feature can remain, but it should be tweaked to be fair and open. Right now, it's pretty opaque, just like the AIMgate fiasco. Just my .5c worth.

There will be less bans by me because the only people I've banned so far, apart from spammers, is people who use the infraction system to ban others. I hate bullies. I like to see fair play. Posting an article in support of government policies does not warrant a ban but this is what has been happening in recent months.

I disagree with most WP and SDP policies but I've never banned or infracted anyone for posting them.

Everyone wants healthy debate and checks and balances in Parliament. If you look at the threads regarding GE2016, everyone wants the WP to win 40 seats so the debates in Parliament become robust and issues are thoroughly thought out. I want the same of this forum where both sides of the fence are free to champion their causes.

TakKiewPeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at Yahoo Comments. So many pro-PAP and anti-PAP and neutral members contributing. If a member writes sense, he will get alot of Likes and Yahoo comment system has Most Popular, Most Recent, Most Like, etc. just like Facebook comment.

vBulletin has its pros and cons, but it's not individual-base, unlike most platforms like Delphi, Yahoo, Facebook.

You never know who or when someone Liked your posts and who has responded to you.

In fact, vbulletin has a feature for "Like", which is different from Reputation Points. You can go to your c-panel and check who liked your post.

But unlike Delphi, Yahoo, Facebook, the vBulletin platform is not one-to-one but thread-based. This is vBulletin's weakness, though it has loads of Admin capabilities, but it's not user-focus but thread-focus. This is its single most failing, IMO.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The funny thing is we have a quiet zone which no one ppl want to visit :wink: and we have a political folder but members prefer to post their political view here . And we have a religion folder but some religion nuts like to post it here too . I used to warn those idiot who posted their religious view here . But some seems to do it on purpose . Yes freedom of speech also needed to exercise responsibility too . Freedom of speech is always under attack by Fascist mentality, which exists in all parts of the world, unfortunately.

You go to St James your also want to hang out in the most happening joint there what...
I hardly go to other sub folders except here....those who want max mileage out of their threads also know that thus they post here

TakKiewPeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
There will be less bans by me because the only people I've banned so far, apart from spammers, is people who use the infraction system to ban others. I hate bullies. I like to see fair play. Posting an article in support of government policies does not warrant a ban but this is what has been happening in recent months.

I disagree with most WP and SDP policies but I've never banned or infracted anyone for posting them.

Everyone wants healthy debate and checks and balances in Parliament. If you look at the threads regarding GE2016, everyone wants the WP to win 40 seats so the debates in Parliament become robust and issues are thoroughly thought out. I want the same of this forum where both sides of the fence are free to champion their causes.

Agree mostly. Yet, the negative psychology of being infracted by another member and not knowing who infracted whom is already causing the feuds and unhappiness in this forum. Not the bans, for the bans just show the furiousness of the infractions. The act of infracting is the moot point. Nobody likes to be infracted, especially by unknown members and those that never bother to debate or discuss.

The Infraction button is a narrow-minded way of snuffing freedom of expression.

Just allow Reputation system to give positive affirmation and if someone does not like what he read, just click the Ignore button instead and the thread will get pushed into oblivion with no further contributors. The forum cleans itself of old non-current threads on its own and it does that pretty well.

Last edited: