• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hougang election in April

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Silly rumors. The ballot papers shall be printed in Singapore and they can't start printing until after nomination day. How to know which parties and candidates are contesting? Have you guys actually seen a ballot paper before? It must have on it parties and candidates successfully nominated for the the election. For Hougang, even if WP and PAP contesting is foregone conclusion, who're the candidates are not yet confirmed. And there may be candidates nominated from other parties or independants. How to print ballot papers in advance of nomination day?

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
How to print ballot papers in advance?

relax, bro, looks as thou' you've lost your marbles. ok, ok, we don't talk about printing ballot paper.
we talk about printing those name list of the electorate can? talk about printing of the ID tags worn by the officials can? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
relax, bro, looks as thou' you've lost your marbles. ok, ok, we don't talk about printing ballot paper.
we talk about printing those name list of the electorate can? talk about printing of the ID tags worn by the officials can? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

That's also easily done within 2-day notice. The templates and printers are all here for volunteers like election, counting and polling agents. The permanent officials, i.e. election department staff, they all already have their tags. The electorate roll has always been updated with DOB and constituency according to NRIC address and the last update being constitutionally valid for next election, whether GE, PE or BE. There's a problem with those abroad and missed past election. The onus is upon them to update the ED. What do you expect? ED or SPF or ISD to track your travels all around the world just to make sure you vote? You'd scream police state!

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
heheh... so if only 1 SMC, things can be printed faster also right? :p:p:p

If not GE, just a SMC BE, tomorrow call also can, no problem. Look at Malaysian and Thai BEs called in remote villages when MPs died, resigned or got disqualified; how swiftly settled.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hurhurhurhurh... time to read up more on the Singapore Statutes Online for the by-elections laws :p:p:p

I thought this thread is about the administrative practicality of calling a quick BE. If you read the statutes, the government can delay it to the next GE if they want.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I thought this thread is about the administrative practicality of calling a quick BE. If you read the statutes, the government can delay it to the next GE if they want.

bro, it's called reading up on current affairs lah! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ballot papers and polling cards are printed in Singapore. The technology today allows for very quick turnover, especially if it is multiple copies of the same thing.

Even where it is a "mailmerge" situation, e.g. poll cards, they can be churned out very quickly with the right infrastructure. For both the GE and PE last year, I got my polling card the morning after nomination day - Singpost made special deliveries.

When I referred to things being printed overseas, I was talking about PAPzi electioneering material (posters, pamphlets, etc.) when they called snap polls in the early years, e.g. 1963.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go easy bros. GE2011 just barely over for a year and everyone itching for another round of election fever. Wait for the call.... :biggrin:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal

Which statutes are you talking about that allows the government to delay a BE until the next GE? I should also point out that delaying a BE until the next GE is not only unconstitutional but totally illogical. To delay a BE until the next GE is in effect to not call a BE at all. Therefore what you are saying is that a BE need not be called at all, regardless of any impending GE.

But for now, let's hear which statutes you have in mind.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Which statutes are you talking about that allows the government to delay a BE until the next GE? I should also point out that delaying a BE until the next GE is not only unconstitutional but totally illogical. To delay a BE until the next GE is in effect to not call a BE at all. Therefore what you are saying is that a BE need not be called at all, regardless of any impending GE.

But for now, let's hear which statutes you have in mind.

Parliamentary Elections Act read with reference to the Constitution. Sorry I can't remember the specific Section and Article No. To summarize, PM has the power to call BE anytime whether the seat is vacated or not. His only restriction is the end of his term, i.e. when next GE is due. LKY exercised this power after JBJ was disqualified in 1986 and the Anson seat vacated. PM can also call GE earlier than due to end his own current term and seek a renewed term earlier. GCT exercised this power in GE 1991 to seek an early mandate and BE 1992 to induct TCH and on pretext of giving JBJ a comeback chance. There're many lawyers in the opposition. All never challenged this constitutional power. All they could do was to seek popular support if they want a BE and keep political pressure on PM to call BE. If this drags on, the next GE looms, see?

All constitutional articles and statute laws are subject to interpretation of course, that's why we have judges and lawyers. I understand PM Lee is now under political pressure but reluctant to call BE and have submitted the matter to the court. Let's hear what the court says next. It may take months, even years.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
if it were to be in April, high chance 7th or 14th April? hee... NUS 14th is reading week already :p:p:p

Don't think school holidays will affect. It is just one constituency, not a general election.

Methinks if there is a BE, it will be mid to end April. Of course, I hope you're right & I'm wrong! :-)

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
It shouldn't be too long. PAP best weapon is to exploit Yawgate and if voters start to leave the incident behind and focus on national issues, PAP will have a harder time dictating the BE agenda.

Last edited: