• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Homemade Shanghai mooncakes to relish

lauhumku

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thursday September 16, 2010

Homemade Shanghai mooncakes to relish

By YEE XIANG YUN
[email protected]

JOHOR BARU: Dome-shaped Shanghai mooncake is the preference of 37-year-old Chew Hui Kun, who sells them at her coffee shop here. “The Shanghai mooncake has a more fluffy and biscuit-like skin. It is less sweet compared with traditional mooncakes,” she said.

Explaining her preparations for the mooncakes, Chew said she would use condensed milk, butter, sugar, flour and eggs. The salted egg yolk must be wrapped in lotus paste filling before it is rolled into the pastry, she added.

n_pg18chew.jpg

Hot favourites: Chew wrapping the egg yolk with the lotus paste filling at her coffee shop in Taman Desa Jaya, Johor.

“To prevent the mooncake skin from tasting too milky, I replaced milk powder with condensed milk.” Chew said her customers preferred her homemade mooncakes because there were no added preservatives. She picked up the skill of making mooncakes from her husband’s brother 13 years ago.

“My family and I were staying in Brunei then. We were able to sell thousands of boxes of mooncakes,” she said, adding that she now made fewer mooncakes due to stiff competition in the market. She said she would spend two hours each morning preparing and baking the mooncakes, which were then pac-ked into boxes of four and sold at her coffee shop.

“The mooncakes are baked in an oven for about 25-30 minutes. That is the tricky part, as we have to monitor the heat closely to prevent the skin from cracking too much,” she said. Chew said her mooncakes were sold at RM27 per box of four, or RM30 for those with egg yolk. Chew’s shop is located in Jalan Danau 3, Taman Desa Jaya, Johor Baru.