• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hawker by day, medium on Saturday nights

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
20121009.121423_tnp_mediumcng.jpg

SINGAPORE - By day, Madam Cindy Ng sells economic bee hoon at her sister's shop.

But come Saturday nights, she reports to a different "boss".

That's when Madam Ng, 55, performs duties in the name of her deity, the Nan Hai Guan Yin, or Guan Yin of the South Sea.

Guan Yin, the Goddess of Mercy, is revered for her compassion and is worshipped in Buddhist and Taoist communities as one who hears people's cries and removes sorrow.

Madam Ng, a medium since 2010, knows her part-time profession is unconventional.

But she was open to The New Paper charting her preparations for the Mid-Autumn Festival two Saturdays ago.

The mother of two admitted she was initially confused when the call came, in the 1990s.

Growing up, the third among five girls was not particularly religious. "My family was quite hands-off, faith-wise. We would visit the temples occasionally.

"When my younger sister went to the temple, she won't even hold joss sticks. She said she didn't know what to say to the gods," Madam Ng recalled in Mandarin.

There were signals, like recurring dreams, which she tried to ignore. But things started going awry.

"No matter what I did, it seemed like I couldn't succeed. There were always challenges and obstacles. Whether it's my career or daily life, the going was never smooth," she said.

Madam Ng sought answers. Eventually, a friend in the US enlightened her about a medium's duties.

But her children were troubled that she was taking up the mantle.

"They were frightened as they didn't understand what was going on. They were also worried their mother wouldn't 'come back' afterwards," Madam Ng said.

It's a stark contrast from her earlier carefree ways.

"Previously, when the mood struck, I would be the one bugging my kids to go shopping or dining during the weekends," she added.

Now, on Saturday evenings, Madam Ng welcomes visitors at her Jurong flat instead. Many drop by with questions about their health or career.

What about those hoping to strike it rich?

"They will approach another god for that. People hardly ask about money because Guan Yin is usually not associated with the pursuit of wealth," she said laughing. g" ta

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Guan Yin is usually not associated with the pursuit of wealth....
well if only all mediums like that....

Last edited:
T

TuaBui

brothers , wonder is there a Male version ?

say a God of Mercy ??? . many many tks .

Guan Yin, the Goddess of Mercy, is revered for her compassion and is worshipped in Buddhist and Taoist communities as one who hears people's cries and removes sorrow.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Guan Yin is usually not associated with the pursuit of wealth....
well even only all mediums like that....

You won't believe the number of people who pray incessantly to Guan Yin for riches and prosperity at the Waterloo Street Temple.

Don't take my word for it, drop in for a visit, preferably on the 1st or 15th day of the lunar month or on one of GuanYin's three birthdays.
Eavesdrop on what exactly those people are praying for.

seesuatah

Alfrescian
Loyal
i really feel sorry for her..

do alot of things just to please an idol which simply has no power.

she ended up tired, and meaningless. because nirvana is hardly attainable.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You won't believe the number of people who pray incessantly to Guan Yin for riches and prosperity at the Waterloo Street Temple.

Don't take my word for it, drop in for a visit, preferably on the 1st or 15th day of the lunar month or on one of GuanYin's three birthdays.
Eavesdrop on what exactly those people are praying for.

How CON YEW??:biggrin:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What I know from other bros here is that there is a certain God of No Mercy living among us mere mortals and one fine day in the future, he may even rise from the dead if the need arises!:rolleyes:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

male version is KUAN YEW = God of No Mercy

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Till now there's still no one who can tell me why tang kis possessed by deities can't fly. :(

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
interesting. i find the tang kees very interesting indeed. some unique culture indeed. there is no need for them to fly to be believed. i have seen them reading the past and even the future. remarkable.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Back in the earLy days, these Tang Kees ruLed over many things, got fever; drink the hoo-chui churned out of burning paper amuLets into a gLass of water..:wink:.Lost your vaLuabLes?..Tang Kees can heLp you to Locate them.:smile:
Spurned by your Loved ones ?..Tang Kees can do wonders for your reconciLiation..:biggrin::eek:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Till now there's still no one who can tell me why tang kis possessed by deities can't fly. :(

But if i tell u someone could command a kris to fly towards u. Would u believe?

PM me if u wish to witness one. No BS here ya.

Last edited:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
interesting. i find the tang kees very interesting indeed. some unique culture indeed. there is no need for them to fly to be believed. i have seen them reading the past and even the future. remarkable.

I know of one Hindu priest. Wahlou eh. He can even tell my indian friend gf full name juz by looking at his face and palm.:eek: