• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie Chiobu dies of cancer at 27 despite healthy lifestyle, holds farewell party at Hospice

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

S'pore cancer patient hosted living funeral for loved ones & caregivers prior to passing​

It was intended as a final act of love.​

Seri Mazliana
mikehca.jpg

Telegram

Whatsapp

What would you do differently to show your love before your time is up, if you had the chance?

One cancer patient, Michelle Ng, 29, wanted an opportunity to gather with her loved ones for the last time.

While living funerals are typically unheard of in Singapore, Ng was inspired to organise one after her medical social worker from HCA Hospice, Jayne Leong, proposed the idea.

“I just want to be a friend to them, as much as they have been a friend to me, while I am still alive,” Ng said.

She passed away on Jan. 2, 2024.

To honour her gesture, her story was shared in a Valentine's Day post by HCA Hospice on Feb. 14, 2024.

“A living funeral is a celebration of a person’s life while they are still around,” Leong said.
“It allows the dying person to create a legacy, and to have the opportunity to connect and reconnect with loved ones.”

Diagnosed at 27​

Ng, preferring to be known as "Mike" to friends and family, was first diagnosed with a rare type of ovarian cancer in 2021.

She was just 27 at the time of diagnosis, according to HCA Hospice.

Ng learnt that the cancer had metastasised at the end of 2022 and received treatment at the start of 2023, but it unfortunately did not produce better results.

Led an active life & owned a business​

Prior to the metastasis, Ng led a healthy lifestyle and enjoyed activities such as cycling and running.

Ng said she "loved cycling and feeling the wind in her hair” and it was how she spent her Saturdays "exploring new routes before dawn.”

She also owned a wearables business.

Deciding to spend her remaining time at home with her loved ones, Ng was referred to the hospice for support.

She persevered through her illness while pursuing her passions, and also opened a second retail store in 2023.

“She started finding pockets of meaning by connecting with others, and working on her goals,” Leong said.

Intimate get-together akin to birthday celebrations​

Over 30 guests attended Ng’s living funeral, which took place on Dec. 23, 2023, at her home.

30guests.jpeg
Photo via HCA Hospice website
“Being mortal inspired me,” Ng said.

“I specifically wanted to call the event a living funeral, instead of a celebration of life (another commonly used term), as I wanted death to be close to our hearts, and not something to be feared.”
Working alongside the hospice's multidisciplinary team, Ng spent weeks planning and preparing her living funeral.

She had wanted the event to be intimate and similar to a birthday party, and wanted to share her love, food, music and books with loved ones and the hospice staff.

Guests were encouraged to write a final letter to her and also asked to bring a book of their choice for a book exchange.

Rai, a musician from Ng's favourite Singaporean band Jack and Rai, was invited to perform at the living funeral.

mikerai.png
Photo by HCA Hospice/Facebook

Wanted to raise awareness on palliative care​

Apart from wanting to connect with her friends, Ng wanted to raise awareness of HCA Hospice's work and also hospice and palliative care.

She also encouraged her guests to gift to the hospice in lieu of condolence monies.

mikejayne.jpeg
“I wish people would know more about HCA and palliative care," Ng said during her speech at the living funeral.

"They have helped me so much, in seeing the light in the tunnel.”
Top photos by HCA Hospice/Facebook

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
its shocking how people, especially the chinese refuse to talk about death
death comes to ALL of us. why not let your loved ones know what you want after you pass....

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Make no mistake about it, this is the precursor, the prelude to legal euthanasia, a.k.a. medically-assisted suicide.

You want to have this kind of shitty farewell party that's your choice, but when the propagandists are giving it coverage, something is definitely afoot. :cool:

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

S'pore cancer patient hosted living funeral for loved ones & caregivers prior to passing​

It was intended as a final act of love.​

Seri Mazliana
mikehca.jpg

Telegram

Whatsapp

What would you do differently to show your love before your time is up, if you had the chance?

One cancer patient, Michelle Ng, 29, wanted an opportunity to gather with her loved ones for the last time.

While living funerals are typically unheard of in Singapore, Ng was inspired to organise one after her medical social worker from HCA Hospice, Jayne Leong, proposed the idea.

“I just want to be a friend to them, as much as they have been a friend to me, while I am still alive,” Ng said.

She passed away on Jan. 2, 2024.

To honour her gesture, her story was shared in a Valentine's Day post by HCA Hospice on Feb. 14, 2024.

“A living funeral is a celebration of a person’s life while they are still around,” Leong said.

Diagnosed at 27​

Ng, preferring to be known as "Mike" to friends and family, was first diagnosed with a rare type of ovarian cancer in 2021.

She was just 27 at the time of diagnosis, according to HCA Hospice.

Ng learnt that the cancer had metastasised at the end of 2022 and received treatment at the start of 2023, but it unfortunately did not produce better results.

Led an active life & owned a business​

Prior to the metastasis, Ng led a healthy lifestyle and enjoyed activities such as cycling and running.

Ng said she "loved cycling and feeling the wind in her hair” and it was how she spent her Saturdays "exploring new routes before dawn.”

She also owned a wearables business.

Deciding to spend her remaining time at home with her loved ones, Ng was referred to the hospice for support.

She persevered through her illness while pursuing her passions, and also opened a second retail store in 2023.

“She started finding pockets of meaning by connecting with others, and working on her goals,” Leong said.

Intimate get-together akin to birthday celebrations​

Over 30 guests attended Ng’s living funeral, which took place on Dec. 23, 2023, at her home.

30guests.jpeg
“Being mortal inspired me,” Ng said.

Working alongside the hospice's multidisciplinary team, Ng spent weeks planning and preparing her living funeral.

She had wanted the event to be intimate and similar to a birthday party, and wanted to share her love, food, music and books with loved ones and the hospice staff.

Guests were encouraged to write a final letter to her and also asked to bring a book of their choice for a book exchange.

Rai, a musician from Ng's favourite Singaporean band Jack and Rai, was invited to perform at the living funeral.

mikerai.png
Photo by HCA Hospice/Facebook

Wanted to raise awareness on palliative care​

Apart from wanting to connect with her friends, Ng wanted to raise awareness of HCA Hospice's work and also hospice and palliative care.

She also encouraged her guests to gift to the hospice in lieu of condolence monies.

mikejayne.jpeg
“I wish people would know more about HCA and palliative care," Ng said during her speech at the living funeral.

Top photos by HCA Hospice/Facebook
RIP. Condolences to her family