• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hacking 101

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

19366984404e4e9c639c628f82fd8bc8ca119c80.png

Joe Higashi

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Stranger Hacks Into Baby Monitor and Screams ‘Wake up baby, Wake up’.

Posted on May 5, 2014 by Pushpa Mishra

A couple in Cincinnati had their worst nightmare when they were woken up by a loud male voice screaming at their 10-month old baby through their baby monitor, according to a report by Fox19.

The stranger shouted, “Wake up baby. Wake up baby,” at their daughter Emma and then screamed “aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh” to wake her up.

The parents, Adam and Heather Schreck, were quite surprised when they heard voices from their daughter’s room and when the mother checked the video feed on her phone, she saw the camera moving.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H9LnlqKO6Gs?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

About the time I saw it moving, I also heard a voice again start screaming at my daughter. He was screaming, ‘Wake up baby. Wake up baby,’ and then just a long ‘aaaaahhhh’ screaming at her, I guess trying to wake her up.”

Adam ran into Emma’s room and then the camera turned at him,

Then it screamed at me. Some bad things, some obscenities. So I unplugged the camera,” said Adam.
Heathers was visibly upset and felt violated when she said,

What scares me even more is that if this person hadn’t been screaming at my daughter I would not have known that he was even looking at her. So I have no way of knowing if he’s done it before, how often, listened in on conversations between my husband and I in the house. (It’s) just a real sense of violation that someone just walked into our life and (we) didn’t even know it.”

They had installed the latest Foscam IP camera for baby monitoring. The company’s product was earlier in news as well for a ‘firmware vulnerability,’ which allows hackers to easily tap in and control the camera remotely. In August 2013, a hacker had allegedly hacked an Internet-connected cam and made some abusive comment like, “Wake up you little slut” to a two-year old girl from Houston after reading her name from her bedroom wall.

However, this was followed by a security fix from the manufacturers and increased security prompting the users to change the default admin user name and password.

Foscam wireless cameras are not the only ones that are vulnerable to attacks. Sometimes back, Qualys security researchers proclaimed that at least two out of every 10 wireless IP cameras can be authenticated without requiring password.

Tech experts feel that wireless IP cameras can easily act as doorways for cyber hackers.

It’s not just that they want to get in and mess with your camera. More sophisticated hackers know they can use this as a launching off point to get into your network and potentially steal your ID or use your network to launch malicious attacks against someone else,” said Dave Hatter, a solutions expert for Infinity Partners security.
He advises frequent change of Wi-Fi password as well as the camera itself.

Tech Expert Larry Collett describes steps to keep your family safe from the cyber-attackers.

• Put a difficult password on your wireless router.
  • Change the default settings of the router to something other than “admin” or “password”.
  • Check for updates for the router and any connected devices.
  • Periodically change your wifi password.
  • Limit the number of connected devices that connect to your router.

Joe Higashi

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Good Bye Privacy as Yahoo removes ‘Do Not Track’ Privacy tool

Posted on May 5, 2014 by Pushpa Mishra

Latest announcement by Yahoo! on May 2, 2014 says the company is dropping off its browser’s ‘Do Not Track’ (DNT) privacy tool.

“As of today, web browser Do Not Track settings will no longer be enabled on Yahoo,” read the official blog release of the company.

This means, to a lay man, that Yahoo will now actively [attempt to] keep a track of your interactions with its site.

The tool was added in 2012 to allow the users working off their site to select if they wanted their data to be tracked or not. It then boasted how the company was the first tech company to host the DNT feature. However, while removing it, the company said there is no standard released yet that is simple to use, effective and endorsed by the overall broader tech industry.

The latest announcement makes it very clear that Yahoo will continue to track each and every user irrespective of one’s privacy settings.

The company reiterated that they work hard to provide users with a highly personalized experience and keep people connected to what matters most to them.

By dropping off the tool, the company feels they will be able to deliver a personalized web service to its users. But it would also mean increased revenues for Yahoo for allowing the advertisers to post tailored ads.

Most internet corporations automatically track a user’s online behavior and retain vast amount of data to be used for advertising purposes and tailored search results. Although many companies allow DNT, there is no legal requirement that such requests be honored every time. And for all companies to honor such DNT, laws should be instituted requiring companies to adhere to such requests, says the Do Not Track’s website quoting Jonathan Mayer and Arvin Narayanan, researchers at the Stanford University’s Center for Internet and Society.

Privacy can still be secured by users if they use options like Ghostery, a plug-in for Chrome that protects from third party sites, or Disconnect, which reroutes your browser through its own servers. However, these options are not that user-friendly.

The move has irritated many Yahoo users who are demanding an appropriate change.

Joe Higashi

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

193876338498d755c224336170f1a2bf7b17cebd.png

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PUPx0Pulsl0?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>