• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Govt mulls nuclear power, convert PSA harbour into "water front city"

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nobody worry about X-ray or CTScan, which is basically shooting radioactivity through the body. The Japanese took two weapon grade nuclear strikes and still on average have the longest lifespan among humankind, even if demographically narrowed down to Hiroshima and Nagasaki which took the direct strikes.

Yes, radioactive waste if leaked is harmful. There're people suffering from the by-effects of Chernobyl, Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Yes too, but how many? I'd say less than people suffering from by-effects of smoking, inhaling 2nd smoke or vehicle exhaust, or even just eating too much fat or sugar or salt, or even just crossing the road.

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
The risk is manageable, what happen in Russia is very much related to the many systemic man made disaster under the old USSR, this is not as serious as those nuclear subs that gone down in the ocean.

SG is surrounded by sea, so we have enough water to cool the reactor, how that will affect the marine life is another issue.

Nobody worry about X-ray or CTScan, which is basically shooting radioactivity through the body. The Japanese took two weapon grade nuclear strikes and still on average have the longest lifespan among humankind, even if demographically narrowed down to Hiroshima and Nagasaki which took the direct strikes.

Yes, radioactive waste if leaked is harmful. There're people suffering from the by-effects of ernobChyl, Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Yes too, but how many? I'd say less than people suffering from by-effects of smoking, inhaling 2nd smoke or vehicle exhaust, or even just eating too much fat or sugar or salt, or even just crossing the road.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. there was one in russia in the 80s.
2. well, sinkieland could be one no matter how safety it promises.
3. there is still a possibility of man-made error.

Nuclear reactors won't explode like nuclear bombs. The disaster in Chernobyl (Ukraine, former USSR) was a series of explosions due to reactor failure. The scale of explosions was nothing compared to nuclear weapon detonation. However, the amount of radioactivity leaked was much more than being hit with a nuclear bomb. I agree, yes, things like that could happen, whether nuclear power plant, or other fuel power plant. You think that if there's a natural gas power plant explosion, it's not a disaster on comparable scale? You think that it'll never happen? Yet you live with it without even thinking twice about it. A petrol kiosk explosion would be enough to wipe out a four-street square neighborhood and leave poisonous by-effects to thousands for years and decades.

Direct death toll during Chernobyl disaster, I recall it was less than 100. Nothing compared to a nuclear bomb strike, tsunami or earthquake. However, many of those within a large radius, do suffer from various levels of radioactivity poisoning.

Last edited:

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
If ever there is a nuclear plant in one of the island in Jurong and when there's a leak.

The resident as near as Pasir Ris will be fearful.

They would worried sick about whether they are affected by the radiation.
They would worried whether they can drink from the tap.
They would be worried whether they can even buy existing food from the supermarket.
Pregnant women would be worried sick about whether they are going to give birth to deform child.

the list goes on...

It would take hell lot of convincing that nuclear power is safe!

I won't buy it, not me.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if nuclear power so safe & efficient, why has it not solved the advanced West's dependence on foreign oil, especially USA vulnerable to Arab oil ?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One nuclear warhead detonation (whether intentionally or accidentally) would be enough to flatten the whole Singapore and even spillover to southern parts of Johor or northern parts of Riau. So many nuclear warheads have passed by our part of the Malacca Straits on US submarines and warships. Nobody made noise, not even Malaysia or Indonesia.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if nuclear power so safe & efficient, why has it not solved the advanced West's dependence on foreign oil, especially USA vulnerable to Arab oil ?

Besides the problem of radioactive waste disposal, nuclear power can't be used as fuel for our everyday traffic vehicles. The smallest vehicles that can take a nuclear reactor are giant submarines and aircraft carriers.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
One nuclear warhead detonation (whether intentionally or accidentally) would be enough to flatten the whole Singapore and even spillover to southern parts of Johor or northern parts of Riau. So many nuclear warheads have passed by our part of the Malacca Straits on US submarines and warships. Nobody made noise, not even Malaysia or Indonesia.

That's because IGNORANCE is bliss.

Of course, when there are so many military ships from US, China, Europe, or NUKE Equipped countries and Cargo Ships that carry Uranium that passes through the straits of malacca, no body made noise, because NO BODY KNEW.

But when you are trying to tell the nation that SINGAPORE, a small country, sorry, a small ISLAND trying to equip itself with NUKE REACTORS for future power consumption, this just freak people off.

Yes, Petrol Stations in SGP do Blow up due to negligence, yes, CNG Gas Stations do Blow up due to negligence, however, when they explode, they do not have RADIOACTIVITY...

And yes, OIL REFINERIES do blow up due to negligence... but they do not have RADIOACTIVITY...

Yes, today's medical science is using Radioactivity for X-Ray, CT-Scanners etc... however, these exposures are not 24 hours consistent to the fallout of a Nuke Leakage Incident...

The exposure for medical diagnostic equipments are for a few seconds per scan... these exposures DO KILL millions of cells in your body, but usually diagnostic medical doctors do not allow a patient to scan within 3 to 6 months of the last scanning.

In a Nuke Leakage, the Radioactivity Stays On... and the half life is hundreds of years.

What I am trying to clarify here is that, yes, when you have existing Fuel Stations for Petroleum Products, CNG, exploding... yes, people do die, and properties do get damage, but the damage is controlled...

When a Petroleum Refinery Explode, yes, people do get killed, billions of dollars of investment goes up the smoke (hopefully insurance companies pay dearly for this...), but the damage again is controlled...

However, when you have a Nuke Reactor Leaking, my friend Ramseth, although some people don't die there and then, although the death toll is small, the surrounding land would be a waste land for the next 20 years...

So my friend Ramseth, do you really want to see a Nuke Reactor just outside your home? Do search your soul before answering...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, nobody knows and nobody wants or dares to know. There're many US, British and Russian etc. submarines sneaking around all over the world oceans, typically carrying at least 16 nuclear warheads each to scare each other in the name of deterrent. Why submarines? Because they can take nuclear reactors to fire their engines, no need port calls for refuelling, and they're stealthy and sneaky. Nobody can stop them whether international waters or national waters. If anyone tries to hunt down a nuclear submarine and stop it, it's nuclear war. That's the meaning of deterrent in practice. So they roam around to keep world peace, provided no accidental detonation.

Indeed, there was a Russian nuclear submarine breakdown before, I think t'was in early 2000s in north Atlantic close to Arctic. Forced to to surface and call for SOS. Fortunately, there was no accidental nuclear detonation and the cold war was over. Some American and/or British ships nearby went to help.

Last edited:

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, nobody knows and nobody wants or dares to know. There're many US, British and Russian etc. submarines sneaking around all over the world oceans, typically carrying at least 16 nuclear warheads each to scare each other in the name of deterrent. Why submarines? Because they can take nuclear reactors to fire their engines, no need port calls for refuelling, and they're stealthy and sneaky. Nobody can stop them whether international waters or national waters. If anyone tries to hunt down a nuclear submarine and stop it, it's nuclear war. That's the meaning of deterrent in practice. So they roam around to keep world peace, provided no accidental detonation.

Indeed, there was a Russian nuclear submarine breakdown before, I think t'was in early 2000s in north Atlantic close to Arctic. Forced to to surface and call for SOS. Fortunately, there was no accidental nuclear detonation and the cold war was over. Some American and/or British ships nearby went to help.

For this, I totally agree with you Ramseth.

These Cat & Mouse games are being played by the Nuke Enabled Countries with Nuke Subs in the name of "world peace" and "deterrent"

Sending a message across "don't fuck with me"

However, what good is it for SGP to have Nuke Reactors?

True, it's always a natural progression for nations when they have Nuke Reactors, soon, they will be equipped with the know how to have Nuke Powered Subs / Ships / weaponry...

But then again, what good is it for SGP to have Nuke Subs, Ships, Weaponry?

Are we moving to become a REGIONAL POWER?

ONE NUKE Detonation in the center of SGP, it's 100% HABIS for SGP

Hopefully the Military Scientist / Strategist of SGP know that it's colleteral damage in WAR, and there is absolutely nothing to gain when SGP have Nukes.

And instead of developing Nuke Reactors where the next step is Nuke Weapons, why not think differently, and become a economic regional power, become a Logistics Super Power House, become a Regional Distribution Center, become a Regional Financial Hub, become a Regional R&D Center, and be a ECONOMIC SUPER POWERHOUSE, rather than a Military Super Powerhouse.

I am preacing love, and peace to all, not putting ourselves into danger...

Afterall, we are bred, born, grow up in Singapore, Singapore is still my home, no matter how small it is... I love my home. What home left, when there is a small accident?

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Notice how 'nuclear' has absorbed our discussion ?

Methinks it is a fucking red herring to distract citizens from other more important strategic considerations that are economic in nature :confused: :mad: :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The combined stockpile of nuclear weapon possession and declared countries (US, Russia, Britain, France, China, India, Pakistan, Israel) probably comprise more than 10,000 warheads, enough to blow up the whole planet earth into pieces of metoeroids. Many Nato countries are declared nuclear countries (not possessing but allowing US to station undisclosed amount of nukes in their countries). Even more have nuclear power stations.

Number of of nuclear weapon usage: 2
Number of nuclear accident in military usage: 0
Number of big scale radioactivity leak from civilian energy usage: 1

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
BINGO!

Europeans are discarding Nukes for environmental concerns....SGP still wants a regression?

We already have this, SGP air is not getting any fresher...

pic1.jpg

Since the OIL refineries produces "WASTE GASES" like Propane (some are being bottled up and sold as LPG to homes), why not consider putting a POWER STATION just next to the OIL REFINERIES BURNING PROPANE instead???

since OIL is going to be still around for the next 50 years or so...