• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good Morning...Yesteryear.

Pariah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Time flew and it waits for no one, another 50 years down the road, a lot of forummer here will be history too.

Last edited:

lurpsexx

Alfrescian
Loyal
why no Tay Ban Guan?

Tay BUAN Guan.. Now no more liao... behind converted to Condo... dunno their facade along East Coast Road still there or not... their cake shop a few doors away from their main entrance served hot crispy and delicious donuts and they made very good cakes & curry puffs too... behind the cake shop was a fish shop.. spent many my afternoons playing there and in the arcade too... the toy shops on the second floor made me gian gian and the snack bar made good milkshakes... and in the behind car park there was a bird shop too.. the supermarket itself had a distinctive nice smell... think there was an advertisement in 80s that featured TBG too! Those were my happy afternoon childhood days... haiz... all gone liao... :(

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tay BUAN Guan.. Now no more liao... behind converted to Condo... dunno their facade along East Coast Road still there or not... their cake shop a few doors away from their main entrance served hot crispy and delicious donuts and they made very good cakes & curry puffs too... behind the cake shop was a fish shop.. spent many my afternoons playing there and in the arcade too... the toy shops on the second floor made me gian gian and the snack bar made good milkshakes... and in the behind car park there was a bird shop too.. the supermarket itself had a distinctive nice smell... think there was an advertisement in 80s that featured TBG too! Those were my happy afternoon childhood days... haiz... all gone liao... :(

Used to shop at Tay Ban Guan, though I do not live in Katong area, there was this mama book store, in which I would but certain annuals like Beano, Dandy & some aircraft annuals from, which in the city, charges more. Then for years did not go there, till TBG became a super market of some sorts, a friend live near there, so whenever I visit..I peep into the Aquarium shop...& bought quite a few aquarium fishes from therm...mostly tiger barbs. Have not been up that part of SINGapore for a very long time...last heard it was gone...& a condo sprouted up, where it once was.

Missed the red house bakery...with that giant antique weighing machine & their confectionery & that noodle house, that serve , beef brisket, wanton, "siu gao" nooodle..not too fond or ever cared about the laksa..

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bro, which part of KSC? Basement beside the coffee shop?

WouLd be there usuaLLy for some printing/pLotting stuffs at one of the 2nd fLoor shop; thereafter to the basement shop seLLing desserts for high-tea.
Bro, you have to try their deeserts & other Light bites..shiok !.Its run by a Hongkie coupLe who reLocated to KSC
from Chinatown where they make their marks; hence the fLock of their die-hard foLLowers. :wink:

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
The padang and esplanade.

Goldenshoe car park.

Clifford pier.

North bridge road.

My favourite hobby,spider fighting. me,my brothers and many of our childhood friends armed with plastic bags and empty matchbox
would take bus to faraway places like nus/ntu/punggol and the old cmpb at dempsey road to catch this fighting insect.

ilovesingapore

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
good thread i like
thank you

my favourite cinema

3873948505_f1b8a0a00d.jpg

ilovesingapore

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
haha..peeping toms...

nhbcinema1e.jpg

we have come a long way
let us all be proud of what we have achieved
don't complain too much
for we know not when we will have to revert to history
stand up for singapore always

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
My heartfelt thanks to you all who has serve the nation,i noe i noe life is not fair,what to do..so get over it and move on.

The first five seated in front became generals in the later years,i noe i noe you guys called them paper generals.

Jungle training in sembawang.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
A history of the the spore/johor causeway. construction began in 1922 and completed in 1923.

rocks or granite were taken from the quarry in bukit timah hill for the construction of the causeway.

Aussie soldiers leaving spore during the fall of spore.

A custom and immigration checkpoint was set up when spore gained independence in 1965.
Johor checkpiont.

spore checkpoint.

The causeway and spore checkpoint in the early 80s.

Causeway in 20s.

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sad to see so many Grand Old Dame fall from grace :mad:
I believe most cinemas play a very big part in our lives :smile:
As a kid ( curiosity , treat )
As a teenager ( play truant , cheong mid-nite without paying of course , teenage crush :p )
As a young adult ( par tor :biggrin: )
Hoover , Capitol , Hollywood , Rex , there was one cinema in Thomson opposite the current Longhouse , anyone remember ?
Any more Grand Old Dame to add in ?
:cool:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sad to see so many Grand Old Dame fall from grace :mad:
I believe most cinemas play a very big part in our lives :smile:
As a kid ( curiosity , treat )
As a teenager ( play truant , cheong mid-nite without paying of course , teenage crush :p )
As a young adult ( par tor :biggrin: )
Hoover , Capitol , Hollywood , Rex , there was one cinema in Thomson opposite the current Longhouse , anyone remember ?
Any more Grand Old Dame to add in ?
:cool:

The one at Thomson was imperial.
Odeon (2 outlets) deserve mebtion.
Plaza with bowling centre.
Smaller players like Dalit and Liwagu and Premier (orchard towers) which specializes in B movies.
Jade and Prince who were predecessor to the cineplex.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
good thread i like
thank you my favourite cinema

Avoided REX Cinema when I was young, unless there is no choice, my cinema of choice in the city was Lido, Capitol & later Orchard. Mostly Capitol, for the only place I can give excuse that I am going to the library & MPH. So, I have to plan which books I have to borrow from the library & then MPH. Does anyone remember USIS library at the embassy?? I still have the membership card. Anyone of you had watched movies back to back in the afternoon? first show at 1.30pm & then the 3.15pm one & stagger out of the cinema at 5 ++ feeling the cockroaches who had just had light shone on them ha ha ha.

Hoover Cinema was the first movie I took my school day girl friend there...:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The one at Thomson was imperial.
Plaza with bowling centre.
Smaller players like Dalit and Liwagu and Premier (orchard towers) which specializes in B movies.
Jade and Prince who were predecessor to the cineplex.

Imperial opposite now "Long House" ( former A&W), was one cinema, you sit in front you see the picture very clear but the sound sucks, & you sit at the back, vice versa..I watched a lot of good "B" movies at Premier with a special girlfriend & then adjourn to Rasa SINgapura opposite side for meals...& then to botanic gardens for a round of 'rubba, rubba' before the gates close...hmmm

There was this cinema at Geylang Serai that screen some specialty films...I could remember, like Amazing Asia, & was it "The gods must be crazy"..back then, watching movie at the cinemas was the norm & the entertainment of the day...

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Main Odeon on North Bridge Rd was THE place to meet (and date). And makan famous beef nodles nearby (before it progressed on).

Capitol too, with Bata place -with converging bus routes. Rex, with curry puffs across the road and sarabat stalls on the side. Same with Cathay, longkang stalls:p