• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good Morning...Yesteryear.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i used to patronise the USIS. like the atmosphere there. very scholarlistic and very americanised. but later, i changed my political stand and i avoided the place - too risky to go in. thank you for the memories...

Political ?? I didn't bloody care at that age..it was air cond & the atmosphere was lovely. after eating the char kway teow & the ngoh hiang, wash down with a glass of home made barley...it was an oasis of cool & quiet , other than MPH down the other end or the National Library.

I wonder if the Freemason building still around those parts...

Last edited:

ilovesingapore

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Political ?? I didn't bloody care at that age..it was air cond & the atmosphere was lovely. after eating the char kway teow & the ngoh hiang, wash down with a glass of home made barley...it was an oasis of cool & quiet , other than MPH down the other end or the National Library.

I wonder if the Freemason building still around those parts...

yes the old man and the shioky char kway teow and the hot ngoh hiang....wau you and i maybe friends leh....maybe classmates too....you must be from ri....i from monk's hill

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes the old man and the shioky char kway teow and the hot ngoh hiang....wau you and i maybe friends leh....maybe classmates too....you must be from ri....i from monk's hill

Nyet!....school of hard knocks!! ...the old man & his son char kway teow, I think old man had passed on....it used to be, he sees me, you order yours 15 mins ago..I get mine first (:-...last I met his son, he is plying his trade somewhere in AMK!??. The Ngoh Hiang Old man passed on already, the niece took over, the hand made ngoh hiang & the pink colored sausage was not that good..the stall was closed..& that coffee shop is already demolished...

Last edited:

ilovesingapore

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nyet!....school of hard knocks!! ...the old man & his son char kway teow, I think old man had passed on....it used to be, he sees me, you order yours 15 mins ago..I get mine first (:-...last I met his son, he is plying his trade somewhere in AMK!??. The Ngoh Hiang Old man passed on already, the niece took over, the hand made ngoh hiang & the pink colored sausage was not that good..the stall was closed..& that coffee shop is already demolished...

waulau the pinkish sausage was good
the coffee shop always crowded...somehow we survived
wau that was a piece of history...thank you..
i shifted my focus to the sterile national library and enjoyed the wanton mee
and the fried beehoon and rojak stall....another piece of history gone liao...sad hor

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
waulau the pinkish sausage was good
the coffee shop always crowded...somehow we survived
wau that was a piece of history...thank you..
i shifted my focus to the sterile national library and enjoyed the wanton mee
and the fried beehoon and rojak stall....another piece of history gone liao...sad hor

The wanton mee at the Library was so-so, but the Malay Nasi padang was delicious & back in those days..affordable aka cheap. There used to be Malay stalls near to Armenian street the back lanes of Eu Court...used to eat there too..cheap & good.!!

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
actually i enjoy hearing the sound of low flying aircraft near my kampong in geyland.
paya lebar airport.

and we would haggle over the fare with the trishaw man to take us back to our kampong from joo chiat/katong or the chinese swimming club
in amber road..the road leading to my kampong is dirt track and his ability to manoueuvre the many pot holes at times with puddles of water
is something F1 drivers should be proud of.

Telok ayer hawker centre..those days no such thing as chope seat.

hock lam street

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The hill street one...do you know what does U.S.I.S. stands for?? United States Information Service...the one at the embassy came first. Used to borrow their multimedia stuff for viewing, back then, our National Library, the only thing that was modern was the microfiche...ha ha ha:p

So I did not remember wrongly there was one at tung center....15 floor I think.
I would borrow all the classic Hollywood movies on videotapes then.

The ctk moved to Punggol coffeeshop

Last edited:

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
staring incident occur not only now but yesteryear as well.

and kenging while doing NS a common practice as well..those days we have SAF and VC they are part timers serving the nation reporting for duty after only after 5pm..in hokkien we call them pak meow che(rat catchers).

in the 60s landed properties cost less than $20k,bungalow $30k..these people who bought them in spore instead of msia are are lucky lot.

do you know that in the 60s and 70s the racehorses at the bukit timah turf club carry the 4d numbers that you buy.
there was this story that one of my jockey friend rode a horse that carry the 4d number that a relative of his has bought,
too bad for his relative the horse the horse is not on the job and went to eat grass.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
lky,president yusof ishak and engineers overlooking the jtc project in jurong in the 60s.

factories in jtc in the late 70s.

the rubbish and soil collectors in the 60s and 70s...yuck!

the late ew barker poses like actor james dean.

there are two dirt track that lead to my kampong in geyland,the one nearer to geyland serai consists mainly of malay kampong,
if you are lucky sometimes you can see sweet young minahs bathing in their sarong..those days most of our toilet are easy targets for peeping toms and i believe my sisters may be a victim to this humsup buggers..something like this.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
actually i enjoy hearing the sound of low flying aircraft near my kampong in geyland.
paya lebar airport.

[/IMG][/URL]

a very old movie shot in the old paya lebar airport and the airline is known as malayan/spore airline.
wonder who is this beautiful actress..chan poh chee or siew fong fong.

[video=youtube;WisQChhZXlU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WisQChhZXlU#at=23[/video]

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
this is a very good old Patrick Tse movie that shows many places in spore.

[video=youtube;kOJaNmcy_Ik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOJaNmcy_Ik[/video]

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ice skating rink?

Maybe the place is a jinx for nightlife. None of the entities lasted long. Most lost $$$$ big time.

Yes I think it was at one time....
Remembered the first ice skating rink which later became yaohan jurong.
Saw the one in mbs....wtf fake plastic not ice.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Remembered the first ice skating rink which later became yaohan jurong.
Saw the one in mbs....wtf fake plastic not ice.
1st 2 ice skating rinks were in Jurong an Kallang. Kallang had biggest bowling alley then (62 lanes on 2 floors). Owned by Saban timber magnate.

On ice hockey, visiting Electrolux team (Sweden) knocked Sinkie team. And we had speed skating, with figure skating by gals.

ilovesingapore

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I met a beautiful and wonderful girl at the Jurong ice skating rink....and I fell several times ...in love...and she helped me and taught me how to skate...damned chio girl with big eyes and a pony tail with bell bottom...those wonderful good old days...thank you for the memories . you guys must be in your 60s and 70s...