• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Golf clubs for starter

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I mean the stick, not country clubs.

I will start with golf range ... need to be able to hit the ball with the optimal trajectory.

What kind of golf clubs should I buy ?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a half set will do for a beginner at the range. a full set typically has 14 clubs, and 14 is the tournament limit. but if you wish to carry 30 to a course, it’s up to you if you drive a cart. a half set is typically 6.9 clubs. for a beginner’s half set, driver is usually 3-wood or a hybrid, odd numbered irons (5, 7, 9), a pitching wedge, a sand wedge or chipper, and putter. at the range, i used to practise more with driver or 1-wood, 3-wood, 5-wood for distance, and 7-iron and 9-iron for lobbing precision. it’s all about getting into tight lobangs with the least number of strokes.

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
a half set will do for a beginner at the range. a full set typically has 14 clubs, and 14 is the tournament limit. but if you wish to carry 30 to a course, it’s up to you if you drive a cart. a half set is typically 6.9 clubs. for a beginner’s half set, driver is usually 3-wood or a hybrid, odd numbered irons (5, 7, 9), a pitching wedge, a sand wedge or chipper, and putter. at the range, i used to practise more with driver or 1-wood, 3-wood, 5-wood for distance, and 7-iron and 9-iron for lobbing precision. it’s all about getting into tight lobangs with the least number of strokes.

I want to start with driving range. Does that mean I only need a driver ?

1665558309406.png

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you are just trying and not fully committed yet, buy a second hand set. if its full set, you will have all the clubs already, just need to pick which ones to go to the range.

LittleP

Alfrescian
Loyal
No harm getting a full set. Good to start at the range from shorter clubs to driver. Always warm up with Pitching or Sand Wedge moving from 9 iron to driver. Most newbies don't hv super fast swing, go cheap like mizuno clubs plus use graphite shaft which is more forgiving than steel shaft clubs. Have fun

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A beginner should not even buy a golf set, try with a 7 or 6 iron with a graphite shaft and if you can get the ball flying than consider buying a cheap graphite shaft set.
I have seen many give up after a few months .

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
I mean the stick, not country clubs.

I will start with golf range ... need to be able to hit the ball with the optimal trajectory.

What kind of golf clubs should I buy ?
KNN bro maybe you can go carousell try see can get any verlee new and yet verlee cheap sets from buyers who gave up after trying or alternativelee you can go cash converter see any cheap deals as certain items there is cheap but certain items are verlee ex KNN my uncle got a no brand hifi sets from cash converter for $350 and the sound is comparable to disco club effect no horse run KNN

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

View attachment 164529
No. Drivers are only used for the opening stroke. Majority of the game is played using irons so practise that. In fact, many golfers will tell you that the putter is the most important club to master.

But all in all, the driver is the most fun to practise with. My favourite club was the Taylor made 2 wood followed by the hybrid rescue. The "ping" sound could elevate my mood after a shitty day at work

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Regarding getting clubs, my beat advice is to ask around your friends if they can loan you theirs to try. Many ex players (like myself) no longer use them so are very happy that someone wants to borrow.

The other group of people are those idiots who like to get the latest clubs believing it will improve their game. Club makers are very good at marketing and always promise new breakthrough tech in their clubs ... Released every 2 years! Very tempting!

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN bro maybe you can go carousell try see can get any verlee new and yet verlee cheap sets from buyers who gave up after trying or alternativelee you can go cash converter see any cheap deals as certain items there is cheap but certain items are verlee ex KNN my uncle got a no brand hifi sets from cash converter for $350 and the sound is comparable to disco club effect no horse run KNN
Yeah, but I scared Carousell always got sellers say "brand new" "virgin" ... I very sceptical leh :roflmao:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
My home is just 4km to this golf club (one of the few in Bangkok city)

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Congrats! You have achieved success in life. The higher up you go in life, the smaller your balls become! :biggrin:

adgZoVM_700bwp.webp
KNN my uncle has to agree on this KNN my uncle has been upto no.5 but he leefused to move on to 6 so he leeseted himself to no. 1 but due to no more energy he has to play the smallest ball I.e billard /snooker KNN

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds verlee veteran on this KNN from what My uncle sees after a certain level of expertise they will start to play imaginarlee golf using imaginarlee golf club I.e while waiting in banks etc they will do the practice KNN

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds verlee veteran on this KNN from what My uncle sees after a certain level of expertise they will start to play imaginarlee golf using imaginarlee golf club I.e while waiting in banks etc they will do the practice KNN
As such you might not even need to buy 1 yet KNN consult them for the optimal trajectories as they were able to simulate it on the spot without any equipments with them and even the weather conditions KNN

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

View attachment 164529
depending on your height and arm length. may need to reshaft your clubs. i’ve seen newbie shorties struggle with big berthas they just bought brand new without a reshaft. the club is almost as long as their height. chio ka peng. practise with 7-iron as a start as that’s the most used iron in a par 3 link. until you’re very confident with 7 (or 6.9) start changing to wood or hybrid 3 or 5 as these are shorter clubs for sinkies or asiatics. some sinkie shorties can try women’s clubs if it cost too much to reshaft. no joke.