• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Going down Food Memory Lane, Old Restaurants/Coffehouses of yesteryear

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. yes. Very rare to get a lady's perspective in this forum of testosterone:rolleyes::biggrin:

lolabunny,

By the way, just want to let you know I enjoyed your exchange of thoughts with some of the guys on the "carry handbag" thread. It was a good and fresh perspective from a lady's point of view.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think this chap recently passed away, end of an era really. Something like the old Beethoven record shop along Orchard Road.

Now, wandering into the sideline...you guys remember, Mr O'Dell? on the 3rd floor Tanglin Shopping Centre?, who rents out, hard to find, out of print, VHS tape movies?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you not heard of the male equivalent known as the BRO or MANSSIERE:rolleyes::biggrin::p

For more details you need to watch a certain hilarious episode of Seinfeld where Krammer 'invents' the BRO for Frank Constanza(George's dad) who was getting 'man boobs':biggrin::p

And she can't tie you up with her bra??

boii77

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah really love A&W.. now can oni eat during road trip to KL... coney dog, rootbeer float rawks!!

it kinda suddens me when A&W ceased its operation here.. at tat time JB carrefour there still got one outlet which i dun really miss A&W here since JB got one which is less than 30mins drive from checkpoint.. but now even there was gone.. really feel A&W shd be around in sg cos i think it still got loyal supporters here.. juz hope one of the local company can come out wif the A&W franchise.. no nid to open hundreds of restaurant like Mcdonalds.. juz one or two will do.. i think it will be a definite success.. or mabbe shd i try franchising A&W... but i cut out to do biz... i oni noe how to push sales but managing the whole biz i dun really got the talent.. my account management is the worst.. i can earn/spend alot but i dun really noe how to kip track my earning/spending.. n how to negotiate deal to get a franchise deal??... too many procedures to think... sigh

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey I like this story Bro, thanks for sharing:smile:

So I guess 'Harry' may well have been wrong afterall in "When Harry met Sally" eh:wink:

No Harry isn't wrong and neither was Sally. It's about a special connection the two of them had, it wasn't just your normal friendship. :smile:

It's one of those once in a lifetime chance thing, that's why it was all so special. WOW! Kind of feeling.

We all have plenty of friends of the opposite gender, but maybe just one (or two?) who is just right for us in every way such that we could be more than friends with that person? I think it's about chemistry. :wink::smile:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly I don't understand what happened to A&W's management in S'pore? They had really good products and had a lead time over all their fast food rivals because this franchise was amongst the first to open here. Perhaps a good case study for MBA?

it kinda suddens me when A&W ceased its operation here.. at tat time JB carrefour there still got one outlet which i dun really miss A&W here since JB got one which is less than 30mins drive from checkpoint.. but now even there was gone.. really feel A&W shd be around in sg cos i think it still got loyal supporters here.. juz hope one of the local company can come out wif the A&W franchise.. no nid to open hundreds of restaurant like Mcdonalds.. juz one or two will do.. i think it will be a definite success.. or mabbe shd i try franchising A&W... but i cut out to do biz... i oni noe how to push sales but managing the whole biz i dun really got the talent.. my account management is the worst.. i can earn/spend alot but i dun really noe how to kip track my earning/spending.. n how to negotiate deal to get a franchise deal??... too many procedures to think... sigh

boii77

Alfrescian
Loyal
A&W lost it mass appeal esp to children during the late 80s where the influx of McDonalds, KFC n Burger King. Even though they serve some nice food drinks n desserts, Mcdonalds took over their popularity. I did foresee A&W will definitely nid cut down the number of restaurants due to dwindling sales but i din know they would completely ceased their operation, could be due to too huge financial loss during the yrs of competition wif other fast food chains. The last A&W restaurant i visited is the AMK one, I believed is the last outlet in sg at tat time. I do believe if a company, which has to be financial sound, manages to get fanchise from A&W. Through good marketing strategy, e.g. start slowly from one restaurant after another, definitely will yield profits in a short time. I believe right now there is still a good number of people in sg really miss the good food in A&W.. definitely if A&W upmarket themselves n improve their food standard, cos i noticed during the ending days of A&W, the food serve is not so fantastic afterall, it will definitely be successful. IMO if given a chance to set up A&W.. I will ensure the quality of the food foremost, den the price, follow by the environment.. definitely i wont compete wif the likes of mac/kfc which serve substandard fast food. One thing i wan to do is dun associate A&W like fast food.. more on quality food at an affordable price.. but to get quality waiting time definitely wont be like fast food but still at a reasonable time frame. I felt tis is the only way to serve good food.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think this chap recently passed away, end of an era really. Something like the old Beethoven record shop along Orchard Road.

Mr O'Dell comes from an era, very different from ours, his collection of hard to fine movies is fantastic, had rented a few VHS tapes from him. Interesting if you had ever been to his shop, his wife talks to him in Cantonese, and he replies in English!:biggrin:

I know, he passed away some years back...

Someone mentioned "The Attic" at Centrepoint...hmmm his LP's are very expensive..in so many years, I bought a very hard to find music CD from him...and very expensive too..that was before I discover & got hooked to ebay!!:biggrin:

Talking about Centrepoint, from the second floor, we are linked to the old cuppage centre, wet market & hawker's stalls...the only food i remember from there was the wanton mee...and they were formerly from the hawker's stalls behind Malayan Bank/Bk of China/Chartered Bank (now SCB) by the river at Battery Road......remember Jack Lord, came & Hawaii 5 O, shot of of their episode here...

:biggrin:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, but this type of market now appears to be pretty saturated.

To me I now tend to like Mosburger, yummy hotdogs and tasty milkshakes, quite nice fries as well.

I believe right now there is still a good number of people in sg really miss the good food in A&W.. definitely if A&W upmarket themselves n improve their food standard, cos i noticed during the ending days of A&W, the food serve is not so fantastic afterall, it will definitely be successful. IMO if given a chance to set up A&W.. I will ensure the quality of the food foremost, den the price, follow by the environment.. definitely i wont compete wif the likes of mac/kfc which serve substandard fast food. One thing i wan to do is dun associate A&W like fast food.. more on quality food at an affordable price.. but to get quality waiting time definitely wont be like fast food but still at a reasonable time frame. I felt tis is the only way to serve good food.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bobby Yeo is the owner, younger brother of old radio DJ Belinda Sunshine Yeo. Use to borrow latest UK 'top of the pops' videos from him, those days betamax and vhs:rolleyes::biggrin: Also heard from Belinda about stories of her time spinning vinyl at Xanadu (Shang) and Barbarella (Ming Court).

Ah yes "Book him Danno":smile:

Someone mentioned "The Attic" at Centrepoint...hmmm his LP's are very expensive..in so many years, I bought a very hard to find music CD from him...and very expensive too..that was before I discover & got hooked to ebay!!

and they were formerly from the hawker's stalls behind Malayan Bank/Bk of China/Chartered Bank (now SCB) by the river at Battery Road......remember Jack Lord, came & Hawaii 5 O, shot of of their episode here...

:biggrin:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh yes. Interesting kinky movie, very Japanese:rolleyes::biggrin:

A more bizarre and very kinky erotic Japanese movie is the old classic Ai No Corrida, very painful to watch for males at the end, and I believe based on a true story:eek::biggrin:

For food movies the one I truly enjoyed was Babette's Feast:smile:
If you watched that, then did you watch Tampopo? Picturehouse huh? :p

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bobby Yeo is the owner, younger brother of old radio DJ Belinda Sunshine Yeo. Use to borrow latest UK 'top of the pops' videos from him, those days betamax and vhs:rolleyes::biggrin: Also heard from Belinda about stories of her time spinning vinyl at Xanadu (Shang) and Barbarella (Ming Court).

Ah yes "Book him Danno":smile:

OMG! You are so old! :p:p:p:wink::wink::wink::smile::smile::smile:

Did you use to go Rumours & Chinoi?

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
A&W was and still is my fav fast food outlet... like the one between bukit timah and dunearn road... my fav is their hotdog with special sauce and the ice cream float on root beer...

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh yes, where the lianish SQ gals used to ask "is this the way to Chino"?:rolleyes::biggrin: Mind you they were much better looking then the present bunch now, QC control much better than.

Those were the fun days of Bonny Hicks (bless her soul), Seraphina Fong and Ethel:smile:

OMG! You are so old!

Did you use to go Rumours & Chinoi?