• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

George Yeo can break SAF bond while Dr Allan Ooi can't???

LaMei

Alfrescian
Loyal
<table class="contentpaneopen"><tbody><tr><td class="contentheading" width="100%">George Yeo doesn't answer whether he deserves salary </td> <td class="buttonheading" align="right" width="100%"> </td> <td class="buttonheading" align="right" width="100%"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="contentpaneopen"> <tbody><tr> <td class="createdate" valign="top"> Wednesday, 12 August 2009 </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style>
Singapore Democrats

yeo1.gif
In the previous exchange, Dr Chee Soon Juan asked Foreign Minister George Yeo what his salary was and whether he felt he deserved it. Mr Yeo did not want to answer the question but said that he had to borrow money to break his bond when he joined the PAP. The minister was an SAF scholar.

Dear Dr Chee

It is not for me to judge myself. When I entered politics, I had to borrow money to break bond. At Harvard Business School, I was recruited by investment banks and GIC but could not accept because I was under bond to the SAF. Salary scale of ministers' salaries are published.

If you don't mind, I rather not be moving on to other points at your pleasure.

George
Dear George,

I am sorry you chose not to answer my question. As I said, I was not trying to set you up or embarrass you. My question was a genuine attempt to try to understand why our ministers pay themselves so excessively.

It is a very vexing issue for Singaporeans. People are not unreasonable, if there is a good and sincere explanation, they will understand and accept it. But ministers don't want to explain anything, you just want to ram it down our throats.

As for your salary, a quick search will reveal your American counterpart's pay. Hillary Clinton's salary is US$186,600 per year. But I can't find yours even after an extended search. Why the reluctance to tell Singaporeans how much their Foreign Minister is paid?

I guess we'll just have to let readers form their own opinions about why you choose not to answer these questions.

On the other points: I did not mean to be presumptuous in deciding when to discuss them. I just thought that for clarity's sake, we could dwell on one point at a time. My apologies.

I was intrigued that whilst you were at MTI that you had considered introducing minimum wage but decided against it because, in your words, "Beyond a certain point, it will drive investors away."

It is true that if workers are paid too much, that is, beyond what they are worth, the market will react and businesses will find it impossible to cope.

But just as workers can be paid too much, they can also be paid too little. Minimum Wage set at a reasonable level, after seeking the views of workers and employers, will ensure that the see-saw is balanced. The current situation protects the foreign investor while exploiting the local worker. This is not right.

And the solution to investors leaving is not to suppress wages but to allow an entrepreneurial class to build up in Singapore which the Government has failed to do. Local businesses can be enticed to stay on in Singapore through various tax regimes. This way we don't have to depend on foreign investors that much.

By the way, did Lee Hsien Loong and Philip Yeo say anything about you breaking your bond? And being a bond-breaker yourself, did you defend the other bond-breakers who were criticised in Parliament?

Your resoponse again greatly appreciated.

Soon Juan
</td></tr></tbody></table>

LaMei

Alfrescian
Loyal
GY can break SAF bond to join politics???

It gets me thinking about Dr Allan Ooi desperation to break his SAF bond and MINDEF unfeeling remarks that "SAF officers who take up sponsorship have a responsibility to serve the full period of their bonds as substantial resources and time have been devoted to training them. Otherwise they will leave gaps in key positions in the SAF."

So GY's bond breaking from SAF doesn't leave a gap in the SAF? or GY don't have that responsibility? or GY can, Allan Ooi cannot? (just like CASE can, TBT cannot?)

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear La Mei

One should stop being a bean picking nit picking counter and consider circumstances and facts before shooting of unthinking questions, secondly using the unfortunate death of a young doctor to score political points is slightly short of distasteful. If you had the intelligence or even had bothered to check the facts you would have noted the following.

1. G Yeo left the SAF as a BG, he was probably into his second or third contract. At the age he left which I believe was 34 or 35 he had already served near to 12 or 14 years. The case for Dr Ooi was vastly different taking into account the different specilizations and longer academic study periods.

I have already commented that if there are always ways for scholars to leave a bond and yes it becomes easier after a certain period has been served. G Yeo did his dues no conspiracy , no double standars here.

Locke

LaMei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Locke..

why am i not surprise that you are so quick and also the first to jump at GY defense?

not only Papies always find excuses and reasons to justify their own action while disallowing others..we have supporters like you who mask themselves as opposition too..

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Jaslyn

Ahhh the traditional pure of heart argument :_)). Scatter brained, scatter shot approach to politics going hand in hand I presume. Firstly I have said nothing with regards to G Yeo and his other answers, they are in my own view , the party line, the government line albeit in very cordial and short exchanges.

However when like a PMSing women in an argument, everything is linked to everything else no matter how tenous and illogical the link, then for me personally its a tad unfair. I was an ex civil servant, I worked under G Yeo and found him intelligent, articulate and one of the better ministers out there by a long long shot. I would defend Melvin against class insinuations from yuppie wannabe's similarly I would defend G Yeo from unfair personal accusations. Get the facts straight and stop being a bitch about people, and their personal affairs.

Locke

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
However when like a PMSing women in an argument, everything is linked to everything else no matter how tenous and illogical the link, then for me personally its a tad unfair. I was an ex civil servant, I worked under G Yeo and found him intelligent, articulate and one of the better ministers out there by a long long shot. I would defend Melvin against class insinuations from yuppie wannabe's similarly I would defend G Yeo from unfair personal accusations. Get the facts straight and stop being a bitch about people, and their personal affairs.

You should get your brains straight if you think that George Yeo is a good minister; you should support him in Aljunied instead of Sylvia Lim.

My position, I frankly think that he's one of most useless and redundant ministers around, especially in Foreign Affairs. Most jobs are done by MM Lee Kuan Yew and SM Goh Chok Tong. Who needs George Yeo? Who misses him? I don't know and can't fathom. Perhaps you.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Ramseth

Ahhh thats personally, politically I do not like him and would support Sylvia :_)) Personally well do not have a beef to grind :_)).

Cheers

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I thought you said she has progressed? This is becoming silly. If she was my sister, I would have a quiet word with her.

I however don't think she was intentionally milking the death of Dr Ooi. She just does not understand that both these events are mutually unrelated in form or in principle. She just saw "bond" and jumped at it.

Dear La Mei

One should stop being a bean picking nit picking counter and consider circumstances and facts before shooting of unthinking questions, secondly using the unfortunate death of a young doctor to score political points is slightly short of distasteful. If you had the intelligence or even had bothered to check the facts you would have noted the following.

1. G Yeo left the SAF as a BG, he was probably into his second or third contract. At the age he left which I believe was 34 or 35 he had already served near to 12 or 14 years. The case for Dr Ooi was vastly different taking into account the different specilizations and longer academic study periods.

I have already commented that if there are always ways for scholars to leave a bond and yes it becomes easier after a certain period has been served. G Yeo did his dues no conspiracy , no double standars here.

Locke

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear La Mei

Locke

Laimei and SDP,

WELL DONE! KEEP DIGGING FOR THE TRUTH & LET THE 66% SEE HOW CORRUPT, WICKED, HYPOCRITICAL AND INSATIABLY GREEDY THEIR PAPAYA MASTERS ARE!

thumbs_up.png

Man in the streets

Alfrescian
Loyal
At first, it was creme de la creme, everything is possible.
Many silly people think would -be PM deputy was taking shape, look at it now--blogging and FB--where got hope man, next GE, aljunied GRC no more.....just wait and see.

Ah yeo and Ah Ooi are humans, some are more equal than others, everything is possible when you know how to yes---especially when you have a lot of papers.

Lamei , good job! Digging for the truth may be difficult ! MY grandparents and my parents should know more......

Laimei and SDP,

WELL DONE! KEEP DIGGING FOR THE TRUTH & LET THE 66% SEE HOW CORRUPT, WICKED, HYPOCRITICAL AND INSATIABLY GREEDY THEIR PAPAYA MASTERS ARE!

thumbs_up.png

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
GY can break SAF bond to join politics???

It gets me thinking about Dr Allan Ooi desperation to break his SAF bond and MINDEF unfeeling remarks that "SAF officers who take up sponsorship have a responsibility to serve the full period of their bonds as substantial resources and time have been devoted to training them. Otherwise they will leave gaps in key positions in the SAF."

So GY's bond breaking from SAF doesn't leave a gap in the SAF? or GY don't have that responsibility? or GY can, Allan Ooi cannot? (just like CASE can, TBT cannot?)

Breaking SAF bond and be a MP? :rolleyes: What nonsense he sprouting again? Maybe he forget to add the breaking the bond and not have to pay a cent! Afterall still under the LEE mah....:oIo:

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
CSJ indeed is talking more sense than what we had read or heard on the 144th media. Perhap someone is trying to smear his reputation and make it difficult for him to get into parliament. :rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
George was supposed was to have been the party ideologue and the foil to those who had authoritarian traits. He did his best on this but did not have the strength that Raja had. However he did help to temper many things that might have been unplatable to the masses.

Just look at the website of his wife's law practice. She does not mention any links to government unlike the rest. He is the exception. Both of them are accessible and very humble. Why do you think he is engaging Singaporeans when he has not aspirations to any higher posts.

What many are not aware is that he is probably the most intelligent in that lot.

Essentially he is not a Politician. One of those who who thought he could influence the party.

You should get your brains straight if you think that George Yeo is a good minister; you should support him in Aljunied instead of Sylvia Lim.

My position, I frankly think that he's one of most useless and redundant ministers around, especially in Foreign Affairs. Most jobs are done by MM Lee Kuan Yew and SM Goh Chok Tong. Who needs George Yeo? Who misses him? I don't know and can't fathom. Perhaps you.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Either she wears the pants in the relationship or the sex is too good. Nevertheless, I would never allow someone I care for, to make a fool of themselves in this manner. This is not case of over confidence or being gutsy, just that the standard of debate or the realm of politicking is well beyond her capability.

This is not a spurious observation. There are things in black and white in this and other forums. The fact that Sam had to tell her that corridor lighting and puddles after rain is not in the critical path in politics should have lighted up something up there.

Do not get me wrong, its not about the command of the language. There are others ways to contribute.

The heart is certainly in the right place but if people close to her do not come clean, then one can only deduce that she has been exploited.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Nothing beats a good post that strikes hard... sending the sympatheticand apologetic to their hurried defences... :smile:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
George was supposed was to have been the party ideologue and the foil to those who had authoritarian traits. He did his best on this but did not have the strength that Raja had. However he did help to temper many things that might have been unplatable to the masses.

Just look at the website of his wife's law practice. She does not mention any links to government unlike the rest. He is the exception. Both of them are accessible and very humble. Why do you think he is engaging Singaporeans when he has not aspirations to any higher posts.

What many are not aware is that he is probably the most intelligent in that lot.

Essentially he is not a Politician. One of those who who thought he could influence the party.

Interesting insights Scroobal.

As a "political opponent" who has crossed his path once, I would say that he is a humble person to start with. No airs and "competitive aggression" in his manner and way of engagement, even though he is the anchor minister in his GRC. He stood out from the other PAP candidates in Aljunied not merely because of his status as the minister but his mannerism and grace. A respectable opponent in my view.

It is just too bad that he has born in the wrong era under the old man's control. He could have been more productive and effective if he is born 10 or 15 years later, right age for engaging the Post LKY era.

Goh Meng Seng

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps you have a short memory because i recall George eventually resorted to dirty gutter politics started by Harry against James Gomez when George appeared to insinuate in public that James was the same as a shop lifter/thief...he first appeared to show this dirty side and exposed his 'fangs' when he publicly attacked and cornered Dr Chee in the televised parliamentary meeting on health care costs in the 90s

Scroobal is probably right to say that George may be intellectually one of the smartest amongst all the PAPs but he is certainly not below getting dirty and grimy in the political arena so I would not ascribe "grace" to his character...

the one with true "grace" is Tommy Koh and he is honest enough to admit that he rather be a golden retriever and stay clear of the party political arena not wanting to get his hands dirty...

As a "political opponent" who has crossed his path once, I would say that he is a humble person to start with. No airs and "competitive aggression" in his manner and way of engagement, even though he is the anchor minister in his GRC. He stood out from the other PAP candidates in Aljunied not merely because of his status as the minister but his mannerism and grace. A respectable opponent in my view.

It is just too bad that he has born in the wrong era under the old man's control. He could have been more productive and effective if he is born 10 or 15 years later, right age for engaging the Post LKY era.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a reason why George and Lim Yock Suan are targeted by the opposition. Yock Suan as you recall was tagged lame duck in the hotly contested Cheng San GRC.

Both don't have the meetle to resort to nasty politics. Both are intelligent, sharp and good at their work. Both have superior acedemic qualifications compared to the peers. And amazingly both are extraordinarily humble.

For many years, Yock Suan stayed at Pandan Valley penthhouse and the residents there ( both expats and locals) could not believe how courteous and humble he was . Even the ordinary mata used to be shocked by his manner compared to the little Napalean Dhanabalan ( all ministers home had to be checked by the cops on a a regular basis) who they were prepared to shoot dead for his atrocious and rude manners. Its the arsholes that you seldom see without the press. Raja was another who used to walk to MPH from City without being accosted and by himself. A rare few indeed.

If you have met with both of them in the course of your business, work or at a conference, they will be honest about their views if you are professional enough not to broadcast it.

Old Man despised both of them and made it clear on many occasions.

As you correctly pointed out, bad timimg.

Goh Meng Seng

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Por

I would say that G was an unwilling participant in the PAP's attacks on J Gomez. In terms of the J Gomez bandwagon there was varying degree's of errr eagerness in the line of attack started by WKS. Some who could stayed out of it intelligently aka Tharman all the way in Jurong. G Yeo I would say made the best of a bad deal

Locke

Last edited: