• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GE: WP's Chen Show Mao wants to help build strong opposition

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Letter to ST Forum from Mr Png Eng Huat (24 April 2011)
24 April 2011 (Sunday)

To ST Forum Editor

The Workers’ Party (WP) does not see the need to model our ‘First World Parliament’ theme after any country (‘The inconvenient truth about WP’s campaign slogan’, Apr 23).

The simple truth is a First World government cannot exist without a First World parliament to check and balance its policy making process. And a First World parliament cannot exist where the ruling party is really 100 per cent in control. This is our fundamental belief.

We welcome Ms Indranee Rajah’s tireless attempt to engage the Workers’ Party on our campaign slogan. Such engagement has the makings of a First World parliament.

On Polling Day, Singaporeans will have to decide if they want to see such debates in Parliament undertaken by Elected Opposition MPs whom the PAP fears or Non-Constituency MPs (NCMPs) whom the PAP wants to promote.

When the ruling party consistently tightens its grip on power using the GRC system and gerrymandering, we know whose future the party is really trying to protect. With a majority of 82 out of 84 seats in the last Parliament, the PAP does not need to fight for our future. It will simply define our future. That is the hard and inconvenient truth without a First World parliament.

Although the PAP is touting the NCMP scheme as the best way to engage the ruling party, Singaporeans must ultimately decide. As the saying goes, if it is too good to be true, it probably is.

The NCMP scheme is no insurance. Would Ms Rajah debate WP if we were only interested in the 9 NCMP seats which are guaranteed in the first place? The PAP should not short-change Singaporeans this way.

The PAP, with its overwhelming majority, has the audacity to even define the type and number of Opposition members Singaporeans should have in Parliament. In this aspect, WP differs from the ruling party because we believe the composition of a First World parliament should be decided by our educated and mature electorate.

PNG ENG HUAT
Executive Council Member
The Workers’ Party

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe Indranee Rajah should take on Confucian charlatan Chen Show Mao on a one on one debate. This Confucian prick has spent the last 40 years out of Singapore and claims to have kept abreast of developments. As doubtful it may be, Ms Rajah has the unique opportunity to ask Confucian Chen about his party's policies for the Singapore minority and maintaining the multicultural society. I am pretty sure Taiwanese Chen believes Singapore is made up of 100% Ah Beng stock. It will be good to see Chen's reaction when questioned.

Will Chen Show Mao follow in LTk's footstep and marginalize minorities in Hougang and give preferential treatment to Teochews in Hougang. As it it the Malay and Indian voter in Hougang hate LTK guts.

It will be good to see what LTK and his merryman has planned out for the minority citizen... as in my humble opinion simply courting the Confucian vote will not do.

-

Letter to ST Forum from Mr Png Eng Huat (24 April 2011)
24 April 2011 (Sunday)

To ST Forum Editor

The Workers’ Party (WP) does not see the need to model our ‘First World Parliament’ theme after any country (‘The inconvenient truth about WP’s campaign slogan’, Apr 23).

The simple truth is a First World government cannot exist without a First World parliament to check and balance its policy making process. And a First World parliament cannot exist where the ruling party is really 100 per cent in control. This is our fundamental belief.

We welcome Ms Indranee Rajah’s tireless attempt to engage the Workers’ Party on our campaign slogan. Such engagement has the makings of a First World parliament.

On Polling Day, Singaporeans will have to decide if they want to see such debates in Parliament undertaken by Elected Opposition MPs whom the PAP fears or Non-Constituency MPs (NCMPs) whom the PAP wants to promote.

When the ruling party consistently tightens its grip on power using the GRC system and gerrymandering, we know whose future the party is really trying to protect. With a majority of 82 out of 84 seats in the last Parliament, the PAP does not need to fight for our future. It will simply define our future. That is the hard and inconvenient truth without a First World parliament.

Although the PAP is touting the NCMP scheme as the best way to engage the ruling party, Singaporeans must ultimately decide. As the saying goes, if it is too good to be true, it probably is.

The NCMP scheme is no insurance. Would Ms Rajah debate WP if we were only interested in the 9 NCMP seats which are guaranteed in the first place? The PAP should not short-change Singaporeans this way.

The PAP, with its overwhelming majority, has the audacity to even define the type and number of Opposition members Singaporeans should have in Parliament. In this aspect, WP differs from the ruling party because we believe the composition of a First World parliament should be decided by our educated and mature electorate.

PNG ENG HUAT
Executive Council Member
The Workers’ Party

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Based on the details reported in the Singapore media, Mr. Chen came to Singapore when he was 11, went to school in Singapore until "A" levels, and completed his NS, before going overseas for his university education. If my mathematics is any good, and if Mr. Chen is 50 years old, he spent 30 of his last 40 years, away from Singapore, although he may have been in Singapore for about 10 years out of his life time of 50 years, to date.

If an individual were to question that Mr. Chen spent 10 of his 50 years in Singapore, it appears that there is at least one other candidate to be MP, who may have been born outside of Singapore, but may have been in Singapore for less than 10 years out of his 40 or less years.

I believe Indranee Rajah should take on Confucian charlatan Chen Show Mao on a one on one debate. This Confucian prick has spent the last 40 years out of Singapore and claims to have kept abreast of developments. As doubtful it may be, Ms Rajah has the unique opportunity to ask Confucian Chen about his party's policies for the Singapore minority and maintaining the multicultural society. I am pretty sure Taiwanese Chen believes Singapore is made up of 100% Ah Beng stock. It will be good to see Chen's reaction when questioned.

Will Chen Show Mao follow in LTk's footstep and marginalize minorities in Hougang and give preferential treatment to Teochews in Hougang. As it it the Malay and Indian voter in Hougang hate LTK guts.

It will be good to see what LTK and his merryman has planned out for the minority citizen... as in my humble opinion simply courting the Confucian vote will not do.

-

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's what the official record states for Chen Show Mao. What I am interested in knowing are the circumstances that lead him to serve NS. I am of the conclusion that he had no choice in the matter. However, a vast majority of Singaporeans are stymied into believing Chen Show Mao, a Taiwanese by birth, is a true patriot and son of Singapore, having volunteered for NS... when there is barely any evidence to support the assertion of his loyalty or patriotism, apart from the fact the has joined WP after returning some 30 years later.

I am extremely surprised that the mainstream media has not picked up on this. Perhaps the cards are being held close to their chest to be played when the moment arises.

-

Based on the details reported in the Singapore media, Mr. Chen came to Singapore when he was 11, went to school in Singapore until "A" levels, and completed his NS, before going overseas for his university education. If my mathematics is any good, and if Mr. Chen is 50 years old, he spent 30 of his last 40 years, away from Singapore, although he may have been in Singapore for about 10 years out of his life time of 50 years, to date.

If an individual were to question that Mr. Chen spent 10 of his 50 years in Singapore, it appears that there is at least one other candidate to be MP, who may have been born outside of Singapore, but may have been in Singapore for less than 10 years out of his 40 or less years.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is no question that a logical and reasonable individual will be interested to know why Mr. Chen chose to serve NS, when it is not legally mandatory for him. We may not have the answer from him. However, to be fair, I believe that the electorate should raise the question on why one of the PAP's candidates chose to become a SG citizen after the cut-off age for serving NS, when it would appear that he may have considered or decided to become a SG citizen. I would rather prefer to give Mr. Chen the benefit of the doubt that he may have chosen to serve NS at that age (it is easier when you are the same age as your platoon mates) in order to keep his options. [If it was me, I would do the same to keep my options open, and I believe that NS has its advantages and benefits for any young and physically fit man. ] Based on what I have read in the media and on the internet, I do not know why was rejected by the NUS medical school, and why he chose to become a SG citizen during the year when he did. Whatever his reasons, if I was the ruling party, I would be delighted to have such a citizen. If he was not a candidate from the non-ruling party, the ruling party may have made hay out of him to champion its "foreign talent policies" by emphasizing how good he is. Unfortunately, the ruling party has apparently chosen to look only at the other side coin.

If we are to question Mr. Chen's loyalty, it will be logical and reasonable to question the loyalty of other candidates who were not born in SG, whether new candidates or MP's seeking re-election. Singapore is not the same as the USA, where only American born citizens are eligible to Presidential candidates. In addition, there is neither evidence to confirm nor dispute Mr. Chen's loyalty as a Singaporean citizen.

p.s. I am neither supporting nor rejecting Mr. Chen, because I have been a non-resident for decades, and accordinlgly, I am not voting in the forthcoming Singapore General Elections.

That's what the official record states for Chen Show Mao. What I am interested in knowing are the circumstances that lead him to serve NS. I am of the conclusion that he had no choice in the matter. However, a vast majority of Singaporeans are stymied into believing Chen Show Mao, a Taiwanese by birth, is a true patriot and son of Singapore, having volunteered for NS... when there is barely any evidence to support the assertion of his loyalty or patriotism, apart from the fact the has joined WP after returning some 30 years later.

I am extremely surprised that the mainstream media has not picked up on this. Perhaps the cards are being held close to their chest to be played when the moment arises.

-

Last edited:

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object>
<param name="movie" value="http://image.razor.tv/site/flashplayer/razortv2.swf"></param>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param>
<param name="flashvars" value="file=http%3A//www.razor.tv/site/servlet/stream/playerXml%3Frepeat%3Dfalse%26autostart%3Dfalse%26video%3Dcontentbean%3A62920%26browserUrl%3Dhttp%3A//www.razor.tv/site/servlet/segment/main/specials/General_Election/&adsurl=http%3A//www.razor.tv%3A80/site/servlet/adsVideo/%3Fstream%3Dcontentbean%3A62920%26channel%3Dcontentbean%3A59830&isembed=true&hideall=true&hidebnt=true"></param>
<embed allowfullscreen="true" width="576" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="382" src="http://image.razor.tv/site/flashplayer/razortv2.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A//www.razor.tv/site/servlet/stream/playerXml%3Frepeat%3Dfalse%26autostart%3Dfalse%26video%3Dcontentbean%3A62920%26browserUrl%3Dhttp%3A//www.razor.tv/site/servlet/segment/main/specials/General_Election/&adsurl=http%3A//www.razor.tv%3A80/site/servlet/adsVideo/%3Fstream%3Dcontentbean%3A62920%26channel%3Dcontentbean%3A59830&isembed=true&hideall=true&hidebnt=true"></embed>
</object>

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

-

Everyone from WP is no good to you and every little thing is questionable, that I and most of us here know you well. But I shall take the trouble to answer your question anyway. It's a law that most of us who had served NS with had foreign-born comrades amongst us know. If you're a PR boy, by the time you reach 18, you can choose to serve NS or forgo your PR and go back to your land of birth for good. If you choose to do NS, you'll get your citizenship at ORD.

In any case, what's wrong with someone being forced to do NS without choice? Me and hundreds of thousands of us were.

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chen Shao Mao spotted on the MRT

WRITTEN BY Christopher Ong on Apr 20, 2011

http://twitter.com/home?status=Currently reading http://kentridgecommon.com/elections/11175
The Workers Party’s Mr. Chen Shao Mao was spotted taking the public transport by a person who taciturnly took a photo through his/her phone camera.
Quietly reading and minding his own business, Mr. Chen was not even noticed by passengers sitting by his side. An unnamed man fell asleep next to him, while the woman to his left appeared to be distracted by a commotion across the other side of the carriage.
To many, the photo of Mr. Chen silently reading on the public transport moved their hearts — he as a person who always considered himself as an ordinary Singaporean and everybody’s equal, never arrogant of his achievements despite being a very successful lawyer.
Mr. Chen also entered and left the carriage without any fanfare, just as any other person on the streets taking the public transport would.
The photo was taken by an unknown individual and spread across quickly on mediums such as Facebook and Twitter.

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Banking on WP's 'historical depth'

showimageCC.aspx

by Teo Xuanwei
04:46 AM Apr 25, 2011
SINGAPORE - Ahead of the unveiling of its final batch of candidates today, Workers' Party (WP) chairman Sylvia Lim yesterday moved away from the war of words that has erupted over its manifesto to hammer home to voters its credentials as a "political party which is able to play the role within a First World Parliament".

At the press conference to introduce its latest slate of five, Ms Lim started by underlining the WP's vision of what such a political party should be like: One that was "rational, responsible and respectable; a party which can present itself as an organisation" that can work together as a team in Parliament.

That is why the WP has been "painstakingly building up our organisation for many years", she said.

And at a time when questions over the Opposition's ability to form a Government has dominated headlines, Ms Lim touched on the WP's "historical depth" and indicated how this would stand it in good stead to take charge of a GRC - a party goal after the last elections in 2006.

Referring to party chief Low Thia Khiang's 20 years as an elected member, Ms Lim said it has given some WP cadres, including herself, the chance to be appointed as town councillors and be exposed to town management.

She said: "In the process, a town management team has been built up and the knowledge and experience of town management has been shared within the WP. Therefore, the Workers' Party is ready to play its role in a First World Parliament."

During the press conference, newly-introduced WP candidate Png Eng Huat also weighed in on the issue.

The 49-year-old, who is one of three businessmen among those introduced yesterday, said the Hougang constituency has been able to organise activities for residents, such as Hari Raya Puasa celebrations, despite not having any financial support from the People's Association.

He added that his and his comrades' business background helped because they can tap on their business network to get sponsors for these activities.

The WP will introduce its final four candidates this afternoon, including its prize catch, top lawyer Chen Show Mao, 50.

Mr Chen's emergence has sparked widespread interest among voters in the WP's chances at the coming elections, although all but four among the 17 WP candidates unveiled so far will be heading into their maiden campaign.

The four who have contested before are private equity fund manager Eric Tan, 55; businessman Mohd Rahizan Yaacob, 54; private school lecturer Poh Lee Guan, 50; and WP organising secretary Yaw Shin Leong, 34.

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP's final batch of candidates with Chen Show Mao - 25Apr2011

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/flZg8Gfl7vU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/flZg8Gfl7vU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bravo, he is better than the crummy PAP candidates presented so far. His Mandarin is better than even the Chinese educated PAP MPs/Ministers. If elected, he will be a formidable opponent in parliament to challenge the PAP's policies. We, Singaporeans need someone like that to give voice to our frustrations with the PAP. May providence be with WP to lead us forward to a better S'pore

streetcry

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is a true talent, speaks well in English and also Mandarin. His being away from Singapore is not an issue, not with his frequent trips back home and with the internet. Besides, what about ministers and especially ambassadors from the ruling parties. Some of them also stay away from Singapore for extended period of time. What is more importance is a person's royalty and love for his country. Mr Chen has more support. All the best to him and his team.

zujjkiol

Alfrescian
Loyal
A natural born leader n speaker. We need people like Mr Chen who can speak fluently n eloquently. One who can capture the attention of a listener. My fellow singaporeans pls vote for this man!

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: GE: WP's Chen Show Mao

From Alex Au / Yawning Bread:
http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2...porters-become-celebrity-paparazzi/#more-3998

"If we have to choose someone to represent us, the best move we can make is to find a person with the intellectual calibre to grasp facts and issues, with the empathy to weigh and palpate them and with the commitment to go out and speak untiringly on our behalf. I think Chen Show Mao meets all three conditions, not least the last — commitment — by choosing to give up his high-flying corporate career to serve the public good."

I pray and hope that Singaporeans vote for Mr. Chen in order to have a committed and eloquent voice in Parliament. In the forthcoming General Elections, Singaporeans have the choice to vote for several non-PAP candidates to be MP's to provide alternative views and opinions with respect to PAP's policies and legislation, which may not be in the best interest of the average Singaporean.

Go for it, exercise your vote for a better future, and to hold the PAP to be accountable for its policies and mistakes, such as the Youth Olympic Games, the investments by Temasek Holdings, etc.

Please notify and inform your family members, relatives, former schoolmates and classmates and NS buddies, friends, neighbours. Phone them, send an e-mail to them, send a text message to them. Please do your part.

Last edited:

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v3n0S2VP2G0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v3n0S2VP2G0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

kazuo

Alfrescian
Loyal

From Alex Au / Yawning Bread:
http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2...porters-become-celebrity-paparazzi/#more-3998
Please notify and inform your family members, relatives, former schoolmates and classmates and NS buddies, friends, neighbours. Phone them, send an e-mail to them, send a text message to them. Please do your part.[/COLOR]

The first step towards building a First World Government would be to educate the pp about the secrecy of their votes. Many of them are still afraid that their votes can be traced.

Last edited:

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal

WP's Low Thia Khiang contesting in Aljunied GRC
Posted: 27 April 2011 1436 hrs
<table width="260" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="20" align="right"> </td> <td width="240" align="right">
phpdgMYF0.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" height="60"> </td> <td class="update" valign="top" height="80"> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="138" bgcolor="f6f6f6">Photos </td> <td width="47" bgcolor="f6f6f6">1 of 1</td> <td width="18" bgcolor="f6f6f6"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" type="image" width="18" height="15"></td> <td width="19" bgcolor="f6f6f6"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" type="image" width="19" height="15"></td> <td width="18" bgcolor="f6f6f6"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" type="image" width="18" height="15"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>
dotline_240.gif

Low Thia Khiang, Workers' Party</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td class="update"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table width="510" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="4"><hr size="1" width="510" align="left" color="#dddddd"></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4" valign="middle" width="510" height="30">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4"><hr size="1" width="510" align="left" color="#dddddd"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>

SINGAPORE: Workers' Party chief Low Thia Khiang is contesting in the five-member Aljunied GRC.

The others in the team are chairman Sylvia Lim, corporate lawyer Chen Show Mao, Pritam Singh, a postgraduate law student, and Muhamad Faisal Manap, a freelance counseller.

Meanwhile WP candidate Yaw Shin Leong contest in Hougang, where Mr Low had been the MP for four terms.

Workers' Party chairman Sylvia said the party is determined to make a breakthrough in Aljunied GRC.

She said the party is doing this so that the lives of residents will improve if PAP faces a strong Workers' Party's presence in Parliament.

- CNA/ir

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GgAJwVlPvSk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GgAJwVlPvSk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal

WP
Apr 27, 2011

Stakes and risk very high for opposition: WP chief

By Chong Zi Liang

thia.alphonsuschern.jpg

Mr Low, 54, has moved out of Hougang single seat ward, where he was the incumbent MP for four terms since 1991, to contest the five-member Aljunied GRC, where the fiercest battle is expected to play out over the next eight days. -- ST PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN

WORKERS' Party chief Low Thia Khiang has said that the stakes and risk for the opposition in the May 7 election are 'very high' and Singapore may end up with no elected opposition MP.
Striking a stark warning, he told a packed press conference on Wednesday afternoon: 'This is a a watershed election. We may end up with no elected opposition MP.
'It was 30 years ago that JBJ became the first elected opposition in 1981. I hope we don't go back to those days without any opposition MP.'
Mr Low, 54, has moved out of Hougang single seat ward, where he was the incumbent MP for four terms since 1991, to contest the five-member Aljunied GRC, where the fiercest battle is expected to play out over the next eight days.
'I have contemplated this for a very long time. For the last 20 years since I was the MP, the opposition has not been progressing but has been regressing instead. Is this desirable for Singapore?' asked Mr Low, whose team will be squaring off the PAP's team led by Foreign Minsiter George Yeo.
Explaining why he has gone to Aljunied, he said: 'They (the voters) gave us strong support in 2006. I was more determined after the boundary report was out.
'Of course, the logical step is not to move out (of Hougang) because the stakes are high and the risk is very high.
'We could have waited for others to win a GRC but that is wishful thinking, based on how the PAP gerrymander at every election. We need to make a breakthrough in a GRC and teach them a lesson.'