• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GE: WP's Chen Show Mao wants to help build strong opposition

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Low TK - NUS rejected Chen show Mao now PAP so scare of him

Low satisfied with Chen's background
WP chief says lawyer cleared all doubts and party did 'due diligence'
By Kor Kian Beng

WORKERS' Party (WP) chief Low Thia Khiang yesterday defended its 'star catch' Chen Show Mao, saying that while he had initial doubts, he was satisfied with the top corporate lawyer's answers.

The Hougang MP said the party did its due diligence and has a clear conscience in fielding Mr Chen in the general election, even though the Beijing-based rookie politician has been away from Singapore since 1982.

'To be honest, I also had the same questions. But I've asked those questions, we went into the details, we are satisfied and we decided to field him as a candidate,' he said, adding that the party's candidate selection process is rigorous enough.

Queries about Mr Chen, 50, surfaced this week, with several Forum letters from Singaporeans and Education Minister Ng Eng Hen - writing in as the People's Action Party (PAP) organising secretary - asking why Mr Chen decided to enter politics now, after having spent some 40 years of his life overseas.

Mr Low, who was speaking at the WP's first introduction of candidates, said he understood why there were questions about Mr Chen.

They were on his mind too, when the lawyer first showed up at the WP's open house in 2007.

But the WP chief said: 'Let's be fair to him. Had he been given an opportunity to study medicine, I believe he would not go into his career in the United States... (and) in capital markets, you have to be based in US and Hong Kong, not Singapore.

'It's the nature of his work that he has to travel. You have to ask him yourself, but I believe if he had a choice, he would not want to be out of the country for such a long time because his parents are here.'

Mr Chen was born in Taiwan and came here when he was 11. He topped his 1979 cohort in the A-level examinations but his application to study medicine at the National University of Singapore was rejected.

He left Singapore in 1982 to study economics at Harvard, before taking up the Rhodes scholarship in 1986 to study modern languages and history in Oxford. He completed a law doctorate at Stanford in 1992. He has been based in New York, Hong Kong and now, Beijing.

In recent interviews, he has pledged to return home for good with his wife and children, regardless of whether he wins or loses in the election. He said he wants to use the 'second half' of his life to 'do the job' of building a multi-party system he feels will be more stable than a one-party system.

Mr Chen's emergence as a WP candidate has aroused interest here as his profile and credentials are rare in the opposition camp.

But Mr Low stressed that even the party's prize catch was subject to its selection process, as the WP does not field 'just anyone who comes to us'.

The WP whittled down an initial list of about 50 names to a slate of 23 candidates, gathered from recommendations and 'high-profile individuals' whom the party courts proactively.

Those shortlisted are put through interviews with an informal selection committee comprising Mr Low, party chairman Sylvia Lim and several key leaders.

Among those who made it through are a quartet introduced yesterday.

They are sales trainer Lee Li Lian, 32; freelance counsellor Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap, 35; IT consultant Gerald

Giam, 33, all three rookies; and fund manager Eric Tan, 55, who contested the 2006 election in East Coast GRC.

The quartet are among a slate of 23 WP candidates set to stand in four single wards - Hougang, Joo Chiat, Sengkang West and Punggol East - and four group representation constituencies in Aljunied, Moulmein-Kallang, East Coast and Nee Soon.

Mr Low declined comment about where the four candidates unveiled yesterday will contest, saying it was the WP's practice not to reveal these details until Nomination Day.

'The WP is not secretive,' he said. 'The candidates are here and on the ground. You've seen us on outreach.'

Mr Low admitted the party was not able to cast a net as wide as the PAP had done in producing a diverse slate of new candidates, saying the WP did not have access to grassroots organisations, and 'the civil service and government scholars'.

'We don't have so many to select from, let's be frank with you,' he said.

He acknowledged that every candidate the party fields will carry some form of risks.

But he was confident that the process was stringent and challenged anyone who has dirt on Mr Chen to make it public.

Said Mr Low: 'So when we select a candidate and decide to field the person as a candidate, we're prepared to say we've looked at him carefully, unless you have something which we do not know. Then let's publish it.

'But if you keep on asking questions, what do you want us to answer?'

[email protected]

ahkow

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP always tell us it is very difficult to get good people into politics. By good, I would think they are referring to outstanding academic qualifications, high-flier in their careers, good character etc. These people especially if they are from the private sector have to be coaxed repeatedly with high salary commensurate to what they may or may not be earning, assure them of some certainty in winning the elections as rookies via GRC, immediate MOS appointment to test them out for ministerial appointment and even some form of arrangement for them to back out if things do not work out right (eg Cedric Foo going back to NOL) etc.

Now we have our local son Chen Show Mao popping with credentials exceeding anything that the PAP could possibly find from both the public and private sectors over the last ten years. He did not ask for any certainty of winning election, in fact he went for the opposite by standing up as a WP candidate, he did not ask for high salary as a MP allowance (even if elected) is miniscule compare to what he can earn as a partner in a top US law firm, virtually no MOS or minister appointment prospect and most important of all, he was not coax but approached the WP on his own accord.

PAP, pls help to explain this seemingly dumbfounding and illogical preposition!

LoveSingFade

Alfrescian
Loyal
If pappy is smart enough, they all should keep their bloody mouth shut all the way till polling day.

The more they open their mouth the more tulan I am, I ask myself why me, from a neutral party become so tulan, feel like scolding bad word, cannot tahan la.

Can you stop bullying people join opp? Since you always say you sacrifice for the country, now other CSM want to serve, he want to sacrifice cannot meh??

If you are scare, that means that your so call sacrifice is fake one, you afraid opp go in to dig out the ugly truth.

It is very simple theory, if I am sacrifice to serve, I will very very happy if more people want to join in, true or not?

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now we have our local son Chen Show Mao popping with credentials exceeding anything that the PAP could possibly find from both the public and private sectors over the last ten years. He did not ask for any certainty of winning election, in fact he went for the opposite by standing up as a WP candidate, he did not ask for high salary as a MP allowance (even if elected) is miniscule compare to what he can earn as a partner in a top US law firm, virtually no MOS or minister appointment prospect and most important of all, he was not coax but approached the WP on his own accord.

Whisper to AK: Bro, quite a few assumptions there.

Take it easy.

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Workers' Party rolls out 4 more candidates

wp1.jpg

(L-R) Angela Faye Oon, 32, businessman and polytechnic lecturer L. Somasundaram, 48, business consultant John Yam, 48 and WP organising secretary Yaw Shing Leong, 34. -- ST PHOTO: NEO XIAOBIN/KEVIN LIM/STEPHANIE YEOW/MUGILAN RAJASEGERAN

THE Workers' Party (WP) on Thursday introduced its second batch of four candidates for the May 7 General Election.
They are researcher Angela Faye Oon, 32, businessman and WP organising secretary Yaw Shing Leong, 34, polytechnic lecturer L. Somasundaram, 48, and business consultant John Yam, 48, who is the party's North Area committee chairman.
This brings the total number of WP candidates to eight so far. The party is expected to field 23 candidates, its biggest slate since 1988.
The candidates were introduced by party chief Low Thia Khiang and chairman Sylvia Lim.
At a press conference, Mr Low also defended WP's proposals to lower the prices of HDB flats, which drew a strong response on Wednesday from National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan, who described them as 'dangerous' and 'not in the interest of Singaporeans.'
Ms Lim also responded to Law and Home Affairs Minister S. Shanmugam's questioning of WP's campaign slogan, saying the WP is not modelling its vision of a first world parliament after any country.
Read the full report in Friday's edition of The Straits Times.
Second batch of Workers' Party candidates
The four candidates unveiled by the Workers' Party on Thursday are:
Angela Oon Kheng Faye
Marital Status: Married to a businessman, 36. No children.
Education: Degree in Philosophy and Literature from the National University of Singapore
Languages/dialects spoken: English, Mandarin
Likely to be fielded in: Nee Soon GRC
Electoral history: Never stood for election. Joined WP in 2009.
One policy I want changed: 'I want to be a voice for those left behind in Singapore's push towards economic growth.'
L. Somasundaram
Marital Status: Married to a housewife. Three children.
Education: Masters in E-commerce from the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology
Languages/dialects spoken: English, Tamil, Malay
Likely to be fielded in: Moulmein-Kallang GRC
Electoral history: Never stood for election.
One policy I want changed: 'I want a Singapore in which Singaporeans come first and receive better treatment than foreigners, and where there is freedom of speech for all citizens.'
John Yam Poh Nam
Marital Status: Married to a tax consultant, 46. Two children.
Education: PhD in Philosophy from the University of South Australia
Languages/dialects spoken: English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien
Likely to be fielded in: Nee Soon GRC
Electoral history: Never stood for election. Joined WP in 2009.
One policy I want changed: 'I believe major changes are needed in our current education system as the current approach of aggressive streaming, branding and ranking of schools promotes elitism and does not produce creative Singaporeans who can think independently.'
Yaw Shin Leong
Marital Status: Married to a housewife, 32. No children.
Education: Masters in Business from the University of Western Sydney
Languages/dialects spoken: English, Mandarin, Hokkien, Teochew
Likely to be fielded in: Aljunied GRC
Electoral History: Contested in the 2006 General Elections in Ang Mo Kio GRC. Joined WP in 2001.
One policy I want changed: 'I strongly believe in a need for unemployment insurance, especially for those who got there out of work due to circumstances.'

ktc5972

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he satisfies the election mandate then he is "real" candidate. Ask yourself why he went "away" for 30 years & now wants to return back to "serve" us? There are real issues with the current government, there are cracks visible on the wall build meticulously by PAP. He seems genuine & wants to put an end to the atrocity & autocratic nature of current policies & politics. Though, he is away as a resident in a foreign land, he surely would have come back to Singapore on a regular basis to Singapore. Who knows, his children might have studied in Singapore, as it provides the educational grounds with proper facilities. We need to know more about him & his family. But on the first impression he seems ok. I have not looked at his election mediate, Nee Soon, had a history of supporting the opposition until the “current upgrading carrot” which lured them to PAP. They always had a kind of “love-hate” relationship. Well, the upgrading process is over, & now perhaps there might be other issues, I mentioned about in my reply in Dr Chee’s house-arrest thread. On the first impression I kind of like this guy.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP rebuts Minister's criticisms of its housing proposals

SINGAPORE: Workers' Party (WP) chief Low Thia Khiang has rebutted National Development Minister's criticisms of his party's housing proposals.

Mr Low said Mr Mah Bow Tan's comments were aimed at "confusing" voters and that they sidetracked from the issue of how to make housing affordable.

Mr Low defended his party's proposals at a news conference to unveil another four candidates for the coming General Election on Thursday.

In its recently released manifesto, the WP proposed to peg the prices of new HDB flats to median incomes of households that qualify to buy them, rather than market forces.

Minister Mah had said the move would lower resale flat prices.

But Mr Low disagreed. He said: "His assumption is based on free market supply and demand. But we all know that the HDB new flats are not based on free market supply and demand. Both the land and the building programme are controlled by the government."

The WP had said it would lower flat prices by paying less for state land. Mr Mah said this amounted to an "illegal raid on reserves", leaving less for future generations.

Mr Mah also said that state land forms part of reserves, and that when the government takes out land for public housing, it has to put back in return the full value of the land.
The land value is determined by a chief valuer according to market conditions and valuation principles.

But Mr Low countered that "if we were to base on the same logic on contributing less to reserves equal to raiding reserves", the People's Action Party government, by distributing Budget surpluses through its Grow and Share package, could also be accused of the same.

Mr Low said: "We're not saying that we should not save for a rainy day. We do, I think we should save for a rainy day. But the question is, one, how much is enough? And what is the trade-off?"

Mr Low also said his party supports estate upgrading programmes. What it objects to is the tying of upgrading to votes, calling this a form of "pork barrel politics".

Separately, the party also responded to calls by Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam to explain its vision of a First World Parliament. The party said its aim is to develop a model that works for Singapore.

WP chairman Sylvia Lim said: "When we talk about First World Parliament, we're talking about a model which works for Singapore, which does not necessarily have any relation to any model that exists now.

"We look at a First World Parliament where every MP has a mandate from the ground with the same voting rights. And the opposition in Parliament is able to function as a robust check on the government.

"Under our model, the opposition also has a responsibility to act in the national interest.
And we believe this is very important for a wider representation of Singaporeans' interests."

Mr Low later added: "Our slogan is, Towards a First World Parliament. Don't harp on the issue of models. Tell us, what is the model the PAP took after for its Group Representation Constituency scheme? Tell us! What political model the PAP is looking at when they proposed to amend the Constitution to provide for nine Non-Constituency MPs and to tell Singaporean voters, 'you don't need to vote for opposition, we'll provide you with nine NCMPs'."

The party also introduced four candidates for the election, including three new faces.

They are 48-year-old polytechnic lecturer L Somasundaram; 49-year-old Dr John Yam, a director in a telecommunications consulting firm; 32-year-old researcher Angela Oon, a Malaysian who became a Singapore citizen last year; and 34-year-old Yaw Shin Leong, who has contested twice in 2001 and 2006 under the Workers' Party banner.

- CNA/ir

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP rebuts Minister's criticisms of its housing proposals

SINGAPORE: Workers' Party (WP) chief Low Thia Khiang has rebutted National Development Minister's criticisms of his party's housing proposals.

Mr Low said Mr Mah Bow Tan's comments were aimed at "confusing" voters and that they sidetracked from the issue of how to make housing affordable.

Mr Low defended his party's proposals at a news conference to unveil another four candidates for the coming General Election on Thursday.

In its recently released manifesto, the WP proposed to peg the prices of new HDB flats to median incomes of households that qualify to buy them, rather than market forces.

Minister Mah had said the move would lower resale flat prices.

But Mr Low disagreed. He said: "His assumption is based on free market supply and demand. But we all know that the HDB new flats are not based on free market supply and demand. Both the land and the building programme are controlled by the government."

The WP had said it would lower flat prices by paying less for state land. Mr Mah said this amounted to an "illegal raid on reserves", leaving less for future generations.

Mr Mah also said that state land forms part of reserves, and that when the government takes out land for public housing, it has to put back in return the full value of the land.
The land value is determined by a chief valuer according to market conditions and valuation principles.

But Mr Low countered that "if we were to base on the same logic on contributing less to reserves equal to raiding reserves", the People's Action Party government, by distributing Budget surpluses through its Grow and Share package, could also be accused of the same.

Mr Low said: "We're not saying that we should not save for a rainy day. We do, I think we should save for a rainy day. But the question is, one, how much is enough? And what is the trade-off?"

Mr Low also said his party supports estate upgrading programmes. What it objects to is the tying of upgrading to votes, calling this a form of "pork barrel politics".

Separately, the party also responded to calls by Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam to explain its vision of a First World Parliament. The party said its aim is to develop a model that works for Singapore.

WP chairman Sylvia Lim said: "When we talk about First World Parliament, we're talking about a model which works for Singapore, which does not necessarily have any relation to any model that exists now.

"We look at a First World Parliament where every MP has a mandate from the ground with the same voting rights. And the opposition in Parliament is able to function as a robust check on the government.

"Under our model, the opposition also has a responsibility to act in the national interest.
And we believe this is very important for a wider representation of Singaporeans' interests."

Mr Low later added: "Our slogan is, Towards a First World Parliament. Don't harp on the issue of models. Tell us, what is the model the PAP took after for its Group Representation Constituency scheme? Tell us! What political model the PAP is looking at when they proposed to amend the Constitution to provide for nine Non-Constituency MPs and to tell Singaporean voters, 'you don't need to vote for opposition, we'll provide you with nine NCMPs'."

The party also introduced four candidates for the election, including three new faces.

They are 48-year-old polytechnic lecturer L Somasundaram; 49-year-old Dr John Yam, a director in a telecommunications consulting firm; 32-year-old researcher Angela Oon, a Malaysian who became a Singapore citizen last year; and 34-year-old Yaw Shin Leong, who has contested twice in 2001 and 2006 under the Workers' Party banner.

- CNA/ir

boman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Over the next couple of weeks, you will see PAP lessen its whacking of Chen Show Mao. Chen knows China leaders in high places and we all know Singapore is kowtowing to China in many ways.

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP introduces 4 more candidates for election: Dr Poh Lee Guan, Mohd Rahizan Yaacob and new faces Koh Choong Yong and Toh Hong Boon

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Over the next couple of weeks, you will see PAP lessen its whacking of Chen Show Mao. Chen knows China leaders in high places and we all know Singapore is kowtowing to China in many ways.

At his level of work with CAB, I think he knows most of the highest ranking PRCs all the way to HJT and WJB.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singapore is not some middle kingdom to mainland China. The worker's party and their supporters need to understand this. Chen Show Mao a Taiwanese, speaks with a heavy Ah Tiong/Taiwanese accent. This alone is bound to send chills down the spine of the minority voter, particularly the Malay. By alienating the 30% minority votes, it is unlikely Chen Show Mao or WP is going to make any headway this elections apart from that solitary seat in Hougang. As it is, the minorities in Hougang despise LTK for his chauvinistic leanings and preferential treatment of Teochews in his ward.

-

Rakyat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Davis Polk Partner Chen Challenges Singapore's Ruling Party in Elections

Chen Show-Mao, the head of Wall Street law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP’s Beijing office, said he will seek election to Singapore’s parliament as a candidate for the opposition Workers’ Party.

“The best way to ensure good governance for Singapore is through the growth of a competitive opposition that offers a credible alternative to the party in government,” Chen, 50, said on his profile on the party’s website today.

Singapore, scheduled to hold its elections on May 7, has been administered by the People’s Action Party since 1959, when the city state was still a self-governing British colony. The ruling party, led by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, holds 82 of the 84 elected seats in Parliament and won about 67 percent of votes in the last election in 2006, 8 percentage points lower than the previous poll.

Chen has advised on the record initial public offering of $22.1 billion by Agricultural Bank of China in July and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Ltd.’s $21 billion initial share sale. ICBC, based in Beijing, is the world’s largest lender by market value.

Chen, who came to Singapore from Taiwan when he was 11 in 1972, according to a July 1986 Straits Times report, was educated at Harvard University, the University of Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar, and Stanford Law School. He joined Davis Polk, which has 750 lawyers in nine offices, in its New York head office in 1992 and set up the firm’s Beijing office in 2007.

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Douglas Wong at [email protected]

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...enges-singapore-ruling-party-in-election.html

streetcry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Workers Party launches its GE 2011 party video, "For People. For Nation. For Future" on Youtube.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5uGrX86R2vM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5uGrX86R2vM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

silentisgolden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right Person to run Temesek & GIC
Updated 12:39 PM April 25, 2011
I'm thinking, if I vote for him, I would like him to be the right right person to manage my retirement funds.

Instead of all the other flops that's there now. he should restructure them. Our funds should be in better hands.

If he gets good results. I'll call him Warren Buffet of Singapore :smile: and we as S'pore citizens will all retire very very well :smile:

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Top lawyer joins opposition, will contest election

Reuters
Mon, Apr 25, 2011

20110410.202923_chen.jpg

subtitle_bg_line.gif

subtitle_arrow.gif

share_word.gif

<form action="emailToFriend.jsp" method="POST" name="emailToFriendForm">
email_icon.gif
</form>

SINGAPORE - Singapore's tiny opposition showcased a prominent corporate lawyer on Monday as an election candidate, making him among the highest-profile figures in decades to take on the risk of challenging the long-ruling People's Action Party (PAP).
RELATED STORIES
subtitle_arrow.gif

Chen Show Mao, a corporate lawyer who advised on China's biggest IPO last year, said he will contest the May 7 election on the Workers' Party ticket.
The PAP has ruled wealthy Singapore since independence in 1965 and there is no suggestion the party could lose power. But its share of the vote could weaken as the opposition looks set to contest most if not all of 87 seats in parliament for the first time in two decades.
"I am a Singaporean and in the second half of my life, and I would like to give something back to my country," Chen, 50, said at the Workers' Party office in a shophouse in one of the city's old bazaars.
"If we had a stronger opposition presence in parliament, it would be good for all Singaporeans."
Singapore's opposition has always found it difficult to attract quality candidates, not least because of the worry of lawsuits.
Several of Singapore's best-known opposition figures have faced legal action at some time by prominent PAP members.
"There is unspoken worry and fear among people in participating in opposition politics," said Workers' Party MP Low Thia Khiang. "It doesn't help society to grow and develop.
"I think we have to ponder as a society why this should happen over generations."
Chen, managing partner in the Beijing office of US law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell, advised Agricultural Bank of China on its $22 billion initial public offering in 2010, then the world's biggest IPO.
In April, he was named one of the American Lawyer publication's 2010 "Dealmakers of the Year" in recognition of his role in the AgBank listing and his involvement in many of China's multi-billion-dollar floats.
ELITE
In contrast to the opposition, the PAP usually fields highly educated candidates who have worked in top jobs in the civil service or the military. In a society that places a high emphasis on education, this works well at elections.
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong for example holds a first-class honours degree in mathematics from Cambridge and a masters in public administration from Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government.
Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean hails from Imperial College, while Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam studied at the London School of Economics. Both men also hold masters degrees from Harvard.
But this year, the opposition is trying to find at least some candidates who can match that.
Besides Chen, who has degrees from Oxford, Harvard and Stanford, candidates include Ang Yong Guan, former head of the Psychological Care Centre at the Singapore Armed Forces and an active member in government-funded community groups, and Tan Jee Say, an investment adviser and former senior civil servant.
The PAP however has questioned whether Chen would be a good candidate after spending the majority of his life overseas.
"He now turns up and asks Singaporeans to elect him as a member of parliament," said Ng Eng Hen, a cabinet minister and senior PAP member, in a letter to the Straits Times newspaper.
"Surely, voters have a right to know from the Workers' Party if such a candidate can identify with the aspirations of Singaporeans and has a stake in our future? These questions should not be brushed aside and deserve a direct answer."
Chen dismissed suggestions that he was not a suitable candidate.
"This is home to me," he said. "We will be back in Singapore whether or not I get elected into parliament."

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not exactly a vote winner with the minority citizen who comprise 30% of the electorate. Chen has spent less than 10 years in Singapore, speaks with a heavy Taiwanese accent, loves to preach Confucian teachings ... it is extremely doubtful if he understand the mechanics of Singapore multi-cultural society. Without the 30% vote, WP has a ghost of a chance in a SMC let alone a GRC.

Malays and Indians are not going to vote for an Ah Thiong who for all intent and purpose threatens their cultural if not their national identity.... it is no less than asking Ah Beng to vote for an Indian Ah Neh. Why does WP have such a difficult time understanding this simple reality?

Davis Polk Partner Chen Challenges Singapore's Ruling Party in Elections

Chen Show-Mao, the head of Wall Street law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP’s Beijing office, said he will seek election to Singapore’s parliament as a candidate for the opposition Workers’ Party.

“The best way to ensure good governance for Singapore is through the growth of a competitive opposition that offers a credible alternative to the party in government,” Chen, 50, said on his profile on the party’s website today.

Singapore, scheduled to hold its elections on May 7, has been administered by the People’s Action Party since 1959, when the city state was still a self-governing British colony. The ruling party, led by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, holds 82 of the 84 elected seats in Parliament and won about 67 percent of votes in the last election in 2006, 8 percentage points lower than the previous poll.

Chen has advised on the record initial public offering of $22.1 billion by Agricultural Bank of China in July and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Ltd.’s $21 billion initial share sale. ICBC, based in Beijing, is the world’s largest lender by market value.

Chen, who came to Singapore from Taiwan when he was 11 in 1972, according to a July 1986 Straits Times report, was educated at Harvard University, the University of Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar, and Stanford Law School. He joined Davis Polk, which has 750 lawyers in nine offices, in its New York head office in 1992 and set up the firm’s Beijing office in 2007.

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Douglas Wong at [email protected]

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...enges-singapore-ruling-party-in-election.html

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GE: Workers' Party's final batch of candidates

SINGAPORE: The Workers' Party has unveiled its final six candidates for the May 7 General Election, including party chairman Sylvia Lim and secretary general Low Thia Khiang.

The party's star catch and much talked about candidate, Chen Show Mao, a 50-year-old corporate lawyer, was also unveiled on Monday.

The other candidates are entrepreneur Glenda Han Su May, 35; businessman Yee Jenn Jong, 46; and postgraduate law student Pritam Singh, 34, who is also a member of the executive committee of the party's youth wing.

Ms Glenda Han had contested as part of the Workers' Party team in Ang Mo Kio in 2006.

The Workers' Party is fielding a total of 23 candidates for the election, making this the party's largest slate of candidates since the 1988 General Election.

The party is not pulling its punches, hitting the ruling PAP on policies which it says Singaporeans are troubled about.

In its new party video released on Monday, the Workers' Party says it will focus on creating affordable public housing and healthcare as well as distribute economic growth fairly across society.

"This is an election which I say is an important election, and it will be a watershed election, and I urge voters to think carefully before you cast your vote," said Mr Low.

The PAP has questioned Dr Chen's ability to understand Singaporeans' needs, after having spent most of his life abroad. But the Beijing-based lawyer said he is well-attuned to his fellow countrymen and his time abroad has deepened his sense of being Singaporean.

Producing a Ministry of Finance letter about the Grow and Share Package addressed to him, Dr Chen said: "Here is a letter from the Ministry of Finance, it's (about) Grow and Share; it's addressed to all Singaporeans. (The letter has) Chen Show Mao and my address in Singapore. So I am a Singaporean with a Singapore address. If the government needs to get in touch with me, it can do so easily, and I feel reassured."

Dr Chen added that he has constantly kept abreast of changes in Singapore through friends and relatives, and made frequent trips back to Singapore.

His children are all Singaporeans, although his wife is an American citizen.

Dr Chen said: "I think I'll be a good MP, and don't forget I'm not standing for election on my own. I'm standing to be elected as a Workers' Party candidate, we have a team, we have a party to serve the residents of our constituencies. More importantly, this election is not about me only; it is about us, it is about our future, it's about the direction in which we would like Singapore to go."

The Workers' Party plans to take on the PAP in four Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs) and four single-seat wards.

WP chairman, Sylvia Lim, said: "It appears there will be more seats contested compared to the last time, so in that sense there appears to be some momentum definitely in terms of people feeling freer to offer themselves in the opposition camp as candidates to Singaporeans.

"But of course, eventually even though Singaporeans may be unhappy about certain issues and so on, how they will eventually cast their vote, it's not easy to predict."

- CNA/ir