• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foo Sing Kheng is not happy with Pritam Singh

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
www.straitstimes.com

Forum: Proficiency in English does not make anyone more Singaporean​

Facebook WhatsApp Twitter More
I am disappointed by Leader of the Opposition Pritam Singh’s call on Monday in Parliament for an English proficiency test to be conducted for new citizen applicants.

I agree that new citizens must familiarise themselves with Singapore’s history, culture and our way of living. But we must not presume that they need to be proficient in English to be able to integrate harmoniously into our society.

Proficiency in English does not make anyone more Singaporean. My late parents were not born in Singapore.
My mother spoke Hainanese, and my father did not understand Mandarin. They integrated fully and became full-fledged Singaporeans. In the later part of their lives, my parents were better able to understand the local languages and dialects.

Yes, Singapore’s working language is English. But we have four official languages – English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil.

It is human instinct to pursue greater freedom and a higher standard of living when one decides to migrate. That was why our forefathers came from overseas to pursue better opportunities in Singapore, and decided to stay on.

The same goes for the present generation of new citizens. For them to decide to live here permanently, they must feel welcomed and believe that they, too, have a stake in making Singapore better and more liveable.
Attracting potential new citizens to Singapore and encouraging them or their children to stay on is a pressing issue that should not be complicated with an English proficiency test.

Foo Sing Kheng

Karmile005

Alfrescian
Loyal
flip.gif

orh mee suah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not saying that native language/dialect is not important but how do people of different race/ethnicity understand each other wIthout a Lingua Franca?

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I go to shopping centres, if the ascending escalator is on the right, I know for sure the fucking security is a Ah Tiong.

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy must be from jiuhu or China, so ge bei song,lol,most probably China, or a sinkies hv viet or China wife,lol