• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fish & Chips

DrPanacea

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spot on bro. After you grab your order, plonk it down on the table and thats the sign you see. I asked a friend whats their secret and he pointed to trawlers berthed right in front.

You are officially the Fish and Chips Expert. Kudos to you bro.

Now my mouth is truly watering - hmmmm, is it worth fly to Perth? Yes it is.

Is my prize a bottle of malt Vinegar? LOL ;-)

The Ozzies have a great sense of humour. "Remember seeing the sign some around King's Park: If you drink and drive, you are a bloody idiot."
They make a point by deglamourising drink driving. We should take a leaf from them.
More Oz experience later.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
..... I must say sorry to all you fish & chips guys if I spoil you mood

btw snr, you spelt my name wrong la

WTF. Now I have to apologise again. So just in case I mess it up again, a thousand apologies, in advance. :o

Do not worry about the rest of the fish n chips connoisseurs (aka maniacs) here. They are in touch with heaven. :biggrin:

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Long John Silvers used to have very tasty and crunchy fish n chips! :smile:the last time i ate there, quality has ddroped. lots of crumbs and small pieces of fish!:mad:

Won't be long before when they will switch to just one ikan bilis plastered with a gigantic lump of batter. :p

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As long as one eats properly and exercises right- which less and less young kids in secondary schools are doing these days- an occasional visit to a fast food joint is okay. Still its hard to get a six pack if one keeps on going to McD after he/she exercises.

These kid are already attached to the fast food places. If you look closely many of them are chubby.

Kids are studying at these fast food places. Sure to buy stuff from these places. I see many students eating with their friends at these places. Don't think the kids understand proper nutrition & why its called junk food.

There is no exercise culture in Spore & parents are too busy working to monitor what their kids are eating. Some parents are even bringing their kids to these places.

breakingfree

Alfrescian
Loyal
So any good fish and chips in singapore to recommend? my saliva is dripping from all the post regarding fish and chips keke

DrPanacea

Alfrescian
Loyal
Long John Silvers used to have very tasty and crunchy fish n chips! :smile:the last time i ate there, quality has ddroped. lots of crumbs and small pieces of fish!:mad:

I made the mistake of visiting the Long John Silvers outlet at Tampines Mall. The set meals were outright crappy. They should be renamed Long Gone Silvers. My home made Fish and Chips is a 1000 times better.

DrPanacea

Alfrescian
Loyal
So any good fish and chips in singapore to recommend? my saliva is dripping from all the post regarding fish and chips keke

I don't know any place worth pratonising. So may I humbly suggest you try to whip up your own Fish & Chips. This way you get to choose the fish and the type of chips you want. It is a simple dish to prepare, but don't forget the malt vinegar. For luxury also prepare a portion of coleslaw to boot. You need more calories?.....throw in a can of Mug root beer to complete the scene. Enjoy!

_AXL_

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. I know who the owner is. Harry Ramsden Fish and Chips is a proven product. Its one of the situation where product owners themselves have no interest in franchising but someone else is keen. So he was pretty much on his own.

Nobody takes home baked oysters and it does not rank among the popular items. The waitresses were middle aged, Ah Soh like and clueless for a British food restaurant. The killer was the price differential. Common sense would have told him that he needs to package it differently so a direct comparison can't be made.

Though he had an excellent location with ample parking, I suspect that he went overboard in keeping costs down. Even before the doors opened he was asking for discounts, concession etc.

Rent was never an issue. It remained vacant for very long time.

I am pretty sure, its will get customers real quick if it returns.

in the f&b business in sg, the main requirement is simply real good food. i used to patronise a russian steak house over at far east centre frequently until i was forced to watch my diet by wifey.

the restaurant was nothing special, the decor seemed to be "stuck in the 70s" coffee house style, the aunties and uncles who were serving werent very helpful to say the least. but the food was damn good. not exactly cheap but very good value for money. thus, if u go there without a prior reservation, chances r you might have to wait for a long time, if u r lucky.

location would and should never be a factor. singaporeans would drive to the ends of the world for a good meal. thus, landlords would never be able to be a threat to such businesses. maybe only a temporary one due to the moving of premises and such. only substandard restaurants need to open in shopping malls, if u think about it.

the food business is a funny business. most of the time, those who succeed r those who r very adamant about the food they prepare for customers. it is with the outdated (but apt) motto that, "if u take care of your customers, your customers will take care of u".

food, especially good food, r and should never meant to be franchised. cos the basis of good food, more often than not, is about fresh ingredients. take a look at the food franchises in sg and u will see that most of their menu is about fried food... why is that so??? to mask the low quality of their ingredients. especially seafood. fish and co??? why would people pay good money to have lousy food??? i usually only see young teenagers there, and i can understand. they usually dont really know how to appreciate whether their food is fresh, cos their tastebuds r all destroyed from having too much macdonalds.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell the kids and their parents to watch Super Size Me, that shall put them off eating at the golden arches for good.

These kid are already attached to the fast food places. If you look closely many of them are chubby.

Kids are studying at these fast food places. Sure to buy stuff from these places. I see many students eating with their friends at these places. Don't think the kids understand proper nutrition & why its called junk food.

There is no exercise culture in Spore & parents are too busy working to monitor what their kids are eating. Some parents are even bringing their kids to these places.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shashlik Restaurant
Address:
545 Orchard Road
#06-19 Far East Shopping Centre

Tel: 6732 6401

in the f&b business in sg, the main requirement is simply real good food. i used to patronise a russian steak house over at far east centre frequently until i was forced to watch my diet by wifey.

the restaurant was nothing special, the decor seemed to be "stuck in the 70s" coffee house style, the aunties and uncles who were serving werent very helpful to say the least. but the food was damn good. not exactly cheap but very good value for money. thus, if u go there without a prior reservation, chances r you might have to wait for a long time, if u r lucky.

dude32

mentioning of this place bring back my sad memory _ I lost my wife in Sept, brought my two kids there in Nov 'cause during the illness she wanted to go see our friends in Fremantle

_at Cicerello's I talked to my kids about their mum , the first time since her demise

( how cum there is no crying emo )

take it easy..

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting that you mention this point, as it was actually raised in ST recently by a new patron who was cheesed off with the service but regulars wrote in to support the old timers.

right on!!! this restaurant really spits in the face of all "service-oriented" campaigns... no need good service, just good food:wink:

_AXL_

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting that you mention this point, as it was actually raised in ST recently by a new patron who was cheesed off with the service but regulars wrote in to support the old timers.

maybe should suggest that this new patron go eat at fish and co...:wink: got service but no substance... and that's what he/she deserves!:biggrin: