• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Expensive F-35s. Money is needed for other things.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
In any deal, there will always be someone (or some people) who will benefit from it. Down the line too, technicians, spare part suppliers, will benefit in some way. What I am referring to here is the ordinary man in the street, the layperson, the student, the hawker, etc... Their only benefit from such military hardware is the defence and deterrent aspects of the plane, of which the F-35 will not provide, but will give the nation the sense of prestige of owning the most expensive white elephant in the world! I was told too by an ex-RASF pilot who flew the F-5 Tigers, that if there really was some conflict in Singapore, they will fly the planes to Oz to be parked, where they will be "safe," I don't know how true that is, but it makes sense. So in the event of a revolution, you won't be able to get your hands on the planes for scrap at Tengah or Paya Lebar, you'd have to find your way to Oz!!!

Cheers!

Dun forget the kickbacks.....
Anyway I support buying the damn planes.....
Better then let whore jinx lose on gambling table.....
At least when revolution comes around can still sell for scrap metal

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Unless our neighboring countries acquire AWACS and know how to fully utilized it, I see no point in RSAF buying F35 at this moment. If you are already 3 notches above them, it doesn't make any practical difference to be 4 notches apart other than burning a big hole in your pocket.

Ask what secret military treaties we have with the US? All our RSAF planes are basically acting as reserve for the USAF. If they fight North korea or someone like that, we will be handing over our planes to replace their losses.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Defense budget should be one of the key issues for debate at elections, except for Dr. Chee Soon Juan's short comment on this, I don't think it was even discussed. It is quite obvious that this plane is not suitable for RSFAF's use, and from all reports on its performance so far, it is an underperformer. That the F-35 should not be acquired by the air force has to be more heavily emphasized if this sentiment is to be noticed. Else, a few lucky RSAF pilots will be smiling ear-to-ear when they zoom by at some future NDP. Lucky buggers.

Cheers!

Even cutting the defence budget by half will pay for all medical services for all singaporeans for the whole year, in other words, there could be free medical care.
More importantly, the WP should be asking what is the defined and realistic military threat to singapore? U cannot spend $13 billion on some "just in case we are invaded" theory.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I was in secondary school when to qualify to become a jet pilot for RSAF, one needed O levels in Math, Science, and 6/6 eyesight. Sec 1, limpei was already four-eyed, and my dreams of flying one of those BAC Strikemasters went down the drain. So sad. Soon, the airforce got A-4 Skyhawks, F-5 Tiger. and now, F-16 and F-15. It has become very advanced, and the pilot is the most prestigious position in nation's forces. Too bad for me, and worse still, my circle of friends ALL have a bad and negative attitude for the green uniform vocations (regretfully) and none of us made a career in it. Well, can't cry over the past, but still remain amazed at these jets.

Cheers!

I almost got selected for pilot training, but my eyesight has just got slightly worse then 20/20, so cannot go. But today, I understand that they are even taking specky trainees with mild eyesight issues. Very simply because its hard ot find a non specky now a days in school.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was in secondary school when to qualify to become a jet pilot for RSAF, one needed O levels in Math, Science, and 6/6 eyesight. Sec 1, limpei was already four-eyed, and my dreams of flying one of those BAC Strikemasters went down the drain. So sad. Soon, the airforce got A-4 Skyhawks, F-5 Tiger. and now, F-16 and F-15. It has become very advanced, and the pilot is the most prestigious position in nation's forces. Too bad for me, and worse still, my circle of friends ALL have a bad and negative attitude for the green uniform vocations (regretfully) and none of us made a career in it. Well, can't cry over the past, but still remain amazed at these jets.

Cheers!

I was only interested in flying the McDonnell Douglas Phantom F4....tried joining the Singapore Flying Club.....ok lah! Cessna will do..."no fish, prawn will do"...but never made it to SFC...

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I was only interested in flying the McDonnell Douglas Phantom F4....tried joining the Singapore Flying Club.....ok lah! Cessna will do..."no fish, prawn will do"...but never made it to SFC...

To my knowledge, the RSAF never flew F-4 Phantoms. I was at most of the bases during NCC in my secondary school days and never saw one. Even my very close friends who are RSAF pilots (now retired) never mentioned the F-4 when we TCSS. The nearest F-4 would have to be in Thailand in Udon Thani flown by the USAF during the Vietnam War.

I, on the hand would have been willing to fly anything that had wings. Even the slow lumbering Shorts Skyvan. LOL

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cheers!

One of my classmates, joined the RSAF, after "A" levels, and flew the Hunter.
Later, the SAF sent him to SU for a B.A.
He did very well, and retired as a Colonel.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To my knowledge, the RSAF never flew F-4 Phantoms. I was at most of the bases during NCC in my secondary school days and never saw one. Even my very close friends who are RSAF pilots (now retired) never mentioned the F-4 when we TCSS. The nearest F-4 would have to be in Thailand in Udon Thani flown by the USAF during the Vietnam War.

I, on the hand would have been willing to fly anything that had wings. Even the slow lumbering Shorts Skyvan. LOL

I never said the RSAF was flying the F4.....back then when was younger, during the Vietnam War...the F4 was da thing....yes the Thai had the F4's....just dreaming back then, fly treetops with the F4....ha ha ha, we can dream, can't we?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only Colonel....not BG, MG, LG...whatever G's??? wasted..

I believe that in those days, if an officer is not a SAFOS, it is very difficult to be promoted to BG.
He retired at 50, and went on to a good second career.
Another schoolmate, SAFOS and President's Scholar, retired as Colonel, but was very successful after that.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In any deal, there will always be someone (or some people) who will benefit from it. Down the line too, technicians, spare part suppliers, will benefit in some way. What I am referring to here is the ordinary man in the street, the layperson, the student, the hawker, etc... Their only benefit from such military hardware is the defence and deterrent aspects of the plane, of which the F-35 will not provide, but will give the nation the sense of prestige of owning the most expensive white elephant in the world! I was told too by an ex-RASF pilot who flew the F-5 Tigers, that if there really was some conflict in Singapore, they will fly the planes to Oz to be parked, where they will be "safe," I don't know how true that is, but it makes sense. So in the event of a revolution, you won't be able to get your hands on the planes for scrap at Tengah or Paya Lebar, you'd have to find your way to Oz!!!

Cheers!

the f35 will be parked in a muesuem while we use made in china copies that cost 1/10th of the real one,then if win war,budget will be approved for 14 billion to buy another 100 of the jets.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I believe that in those days, if an officer is not a SAFOS, it is very difficult to be promoted to BG.
He retired at 50, and went on to a good second career.
Another schoolmate, SAFOS and President's Scholar, retired as Colonel, but was very successful after that.

U are right, In those days only one general allowed in the SAF. And that would be WInston Choo.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, I am surprised that none of the opposition parties never proposed medical care to be paid by the state by cutting defense expenses. I don't see anyone wanting to "invade" Singapore. The island has no natural resources or land! Who would want to suddenly be faced with having to look after 3 or 4 million people after invading Singapore? Singapore's military needs should be geared towards piracy prevention, protection of the sea lanes, regional disaster rescue and evacuation, refugee assistance, and dealing with irritants like Amos Yee and Roy Ngerng!

Cheers!

Even cutting the defence budget by half will pay for all medical services for all singaporeans for the whole year, in other words, there could be free medical care.
More importantly, the WP should be asking what is the defined and realistic military threat to singapore? U cannot spend $13 billion on some "just in case we are invaded" theory.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya. Four-eyes is the norm in Singapore nowadays. Wen I first had to put on glasses, I kept them in my school bag and only put them on in class to see the blackboard, ashamed of being called "Four-eyes" by my classmates. When I go see my daughter at her school now, more than half the girls have specs on! Pilots now also four-eyes! Those who can afford it will likely go for Lasik.

Cheers!

I almost got selected for pilot training, but my eyesight has just got slightly worse then 20/20, so cannot go. But today, I understand that they are even taking specky trainees with mild eyesight issues. Very simply because its hard ot find a non specky now a days in school.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's a lot further than me! The only involvement I got with anything flying was rushing for kites with the other kampong boys when somebody's kite was cut off in a Layang match! I never flew kites either! But joined a buddy assisting him make "glass-string."

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Either the Super Hornet, or maintain the current F-16/15s. Singapore should develop a S/VTOL for regional work (range, say within Riau archipelago) able to land and take-off from water. If successful, ALL South-East Asian countries will have need for such an aircraft.

Cheers!

rsaf can go with the super horny for now and wait for the f-69 in the next upgrade.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, I am surprised that none of the opposition parties never proposed medical care to be paid by the state by cutting defense expenses. I don't see anyone wanting to "invade" Singapore. The island has no natural resources or land! Who would want to suddenly be faced with having to look after 3 or 4 million people after invading Singapore? Singapore's military needs should be geared towards piracy prevention, protection of the sea lanes, regional disaster rescue and evacuation, refugee assistance, and dealing with irritants like Amos Yee and Roy Ngerng!

Cheers!

SDP did with their 40% cut in defence budget to finance the cost of their healthcare proposal. Personally I am in favor of such proposal but majority see defence as necessity and supported gov policy on defence. Hence it will be politically unwise and view as 'populist' for any opposition to suggest cutting defence budget.