• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Exchange Rates for RM

wolverine23

Alfrescian
Loyal
No one can predict the future movement. its always easy to see on hindsight. :smile:

Thanks for sharing. Is the MYR savings worth it? I did the math. Within 6 months, SGD already increased about 4.9%. So even though they may give 3%, it's an overall loss.

I did convert some cash a few months ago. Thot 2.55 was great then. But now I see it went to above 2.57, I think no point chasing after it. I made a loss actually. But if need to use the Riggit immediately, them maube makes sense to change money.

I believe RM will continue to drop further. Just my 2 cents.

Cynthia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today Acrade Plaza Trader on the 2nd floor of Acrade at 2.57 Cash
XE rate at the of range of 2.585 to 2.593 today

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
But would ringgit continue to drop at 4.9% every 6 months? I think it is quite unlikely though..... So the 'best combination' may not be so obvious, given that MY interest rate is at 4.2-4.3%.

I don't mean it will continue to drop. Actually it doesn't have to drop any more. The loss is there already. But what I mean is, if one were to take advantage of the higher interest rate in Malaysia banks to grow money, he or she will, on the other hand, be beaten by the currency exchange.

Suppose you save $x in June at say S$1=RM2.42. Now it's about S$1=RM2.565, at a conservative exchange rate. That's already almost a 6% change. If you save the money in the bank at 3% interest p.a., it's a loss. For you to even break even at the end of the tenure, the exchange rate got to drop to 2.49 in the next 6 months. And for you to make some money, it got to drop even lower than that. What's the likelihood of that happening?

I'm just reasoning. I may not see what some of you may be seeing. Please do share your views here. :smile:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't mean it will continue to drop. Actually it doesn't have to drop any more. The loss is there already. But what I mean is, if one were to take advantage of the higher interest rate in Malaysia banks to grow money, he or she will, on the other hand, be beaten by the currency exchange.

Suppose you save $x in June at say S$1=RM2.42. Now it's about S$1=RM2.565, at a conservative exchange rate. That's already almost a 6% change. If you save the money in the bank at 3% interest p.a., it's a loss. For you to even break even at the end of the tenure, the exchange rate got to drop to 2.49 in the next 6 months. And for you to make some money, it got to drop even lower than that. What's the likelihood of that happening?

I'm just reasoning. I may not see what some of you may be seeing. Please do share your views here. :smile:

Let's say MY to SG interest rate differential is around 4% p.a. (meaning the difference betw MY interest loan of 4.2-4.3% and SG savings account interest rate).

So in effect, when one chooses not to put excess SG cash to reduce MY loan interest, you are also taking a bet that the currency weakening will continue at >4% p.a. Of course the exact figure may vary, depending on loan condition and quantum, but generally, I think the above rule holds.

wolverine23

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you bought a property at MYR1m at 2.45, you are already in the "profit" by MYR46k.

Either you take "profit" now or wait for MYR to depreciate further later. No right or wrong. (unless you can predict where the exchange rate eventually ends up at!)

Last edited:

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Wolverine. I've remitted funds with ATP once; had to complete a form and show some proof why I needed to remit so much money to Msia. They have the best rate so far, but it's too inconvenient and time-consuming for me to to there.

Good thing there's always Raffles at JP or Superlink.

wolverine23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, I believe for bigger amounts you have to show some evidence.

Thanks Wolverine. I've remitted funds with ATP once; had to complete a form and show some proof why I needed to remit so much money to Msia. They have the best rate so far, but it's too inconvenient and time-consuming for me to to there.

good2

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi, may I know what is the address for BI superlink money changer or where is it located to? Thanks

Happy New Year

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, may I know what is the address for BI superlink money changer or where is it located to? Thanks Happy New Year
The address is 62 Jalan Indah 1, Taman Bukit Indah, 81200 JB. If you drive from BI towards Nusa Bestari (Tesco on your left, Giant on your right), you can see Superlink on your left after driving under the overhead highway.

It's located at the row of shops opposite Keck Seng and Emart.

Yesterday's rate was 2.58, even for amounts less than S$1000.