• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Excellent Article on SMRT Debacle by Yawning Bread

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wtf! It was supposed to be a serious thread. Sam yanked the language chain and we went off on a tangent for the rest of the posts. Much like the third rail. anybody need rayon ties?

Looks like there's atill a lot of angst and anger evoked by the bilingual policy debacle.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If Jamaicans can make their brand of pidgin English accepted worldwide, even adopted for use by some others, why not Singlish?

Ahh, must be the ganja mahn!!!

Cheers!

Because sinkies have low self esteem and celebrate self hatred.

Gotta admit our grasp of a proper language is an issue but there is no reason to slam it like it's the plague. Pidgin english is a feature of all mixed bag culture societies. It is a part of our history and national identity.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Wtf! It was supposed to be a serious thread. Sam yanked the language chain and we went off on a tangent for the rest of the posts.

The thread didn't go off on a tangent. All I did was cut to the chase so that everyone could focus on the most telling part of the whole article.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the most difficult aspects of learning Singlish is to grasp the rules behind the use of lah, lor, har, hor, meh, mah, siah, liao etc. It takes years to learn.

These are just expressions only. But yeah you need to apply the correct one but more often than not sia for example is used by malays cos they always use siol as the expression.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
398404_264447333608589_181333458586644_706198_1311138530_n.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The trick to speaking good Singlish is to take something in mandarin and do a literal word-for-word translation.

For example, if you say to a child: "回家给你母亲打", it translates to "go home give your mother beat".

You've forgotten that Singlish has a Malay component which means it should be "go home kenna hantam by mother".

weetabix

Alfrescian
Loyal
[For example, if you say to a child: "回家给你母亲打", it translates to "go home give your mother beat".[/QUOTE]

Can also be : " 回家被你老母打“

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Language spoken, be it hokkien, cantonese, english, malay, wasnt a problem. My grandma speaks only teochew, and some malay. But she has no problem communicating with anyone. I would think its the recent influx of the FTs that are causing all these "communications" break down. 1st... U get your AT whom mostly cant speak singlish. Then the fucking pinoys and indians with their version of english. Chao Chee Bye: I believe its a term understood by all Singaporean.

Can anyone confirm if the train drivers are Foreign Talents from china?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unlike Japanese which doesn't have the L syllable and always substitute it with the R syllable in English and western loanwords, Mandarin Chinese have both the L and R syllables and can cope with them perfectly well. The interchange between L and R is usually intentionally to mock some dialects which don't have both too., e.g. someone perfectly capable of pronouncing English but pronouncing it as Engrish and yet pronouncing roti as loti.