• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Excellent Article on SMRT Debacle by Yawning Bread

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/train-breakdown-calls-for-two-commissions-of-inquiry-not-one/#more-6429

[h=3]Train breakdown calls for two commissions of inquiry, not one[/h]<small class="entry-meta"> Published <abbr class="published" title="2011-12-20T12:14:44+0000">20 December 2011</abbr> urbanscape and environment9 Comments
</small>
I think there should be two Commissions of Inquiry rather than one. The question of technical lapses that led to the massive train breakdowns last Thursday and Saturday are completely separate from that of crisis management. Commissions of Inquiry, while usually led by a judge, need to have enough experts in the necessary fields to be effective. If we try to give a single Commission a double-headed mandate, it would mean having fewer technical experts on it in order to accommodate crisis management experts. Either that, or make the Commission unwieldingly large.
The last few days have revealed that there are indeed huge questions to look into. Visual checks conducted on Sunday on the entire lengths of the North-South and East-West lines found 21 missing ‘claws’ — hook-like pieces that hold the power rail in place. Where they were missing, the power rail seemed to have sagged. The Straits Times had a graphic (click for bigger version):

Thirteen trains were also found with damage, presumably on their “collector shoes”, which are the parts that make contact with the power rail in order to draw electricity to drive the train.
There is suspicion that the defects were in some way related to “floating slabs”, which Transport minister Lui Tuck Yew said was last examined ten years ago and found to be in good condition.
This statement was jumped at by several people on Facebook, comparing it to how other metro operators make weekly visual checks of all their tracks. Why does SMRT Corp, the operator of the North-South, East-West and Circle Lines not do the same? I believe there is a misunderstanding here. Checking the floating slab is not the same as checking the tracks. Apparently, one has to drill underneath the tracks in order to examine the floating slabs, and even so, one might only be able to do this on a sampling basis.
The technical issues may well turn out to be easier to investigate than the crisis management issues.
Anecdotal reports were that the six-hour breakdown on Thursday and seven-hour disruption on Saturday were very badly handled. Even the scheduled shutdown on Sunday morning, to enable a visual inspection of all tracks, turned out to be messy. Shuttle buses intended to ferry passengers from station to station did not know their routes and got lost. At the start of the day, there were reports that the buses did not arrive till more than an hour later. One man wrote to say that he rode the Circle Line to Paya Lebar Station on Sunday, expecting to change to the East-West Line for an onward journey to Changi, only to discover, only upon arrival at Paya Lebar that the East-West Line was not running. There was apparently no information en-route on the Circle Line as to what was happening at other parts of the rail system.
The above suggests that whatever back-up plans SMRT had, they were less than adequate. When a bus driver reports that all he was told was to follow the viaduct to get to the next station — a suggestion that was useless when parts of the track ran underground — we know that route maps for shuttle buses were either not prepared or not available. Information dissemination to commuters was just as bad, as the experience of the guy going to Changi would attest.
If a scheduled shutdown like Sunday morning’s produced such confusion, one can imagine the chaos of Thursday’s and Saturday’s unscheduled breakdowns.
There’s more than enough work for a separate Commission of Inquiry looking into crisis management and back-up plans.
On Thursday night, I myself only heard announcements made in pidgin English over the public announcement system while on the platforms, but not while inside the train. As I wrote previously, I couldn’t quite understand what the announcer was saying, and I don’t believe others did either. Over the weekend, people have suggested announcements in the four official languages. Frankly, if the station master couldn’t even manage an intelligible announcement in English we can forget about getting it in other languages.
In the trains during the breakdown, people used the intercom to communicate with the drivers. The drivers themselves almost surely knew next to nothing about what was going on. They would be trained to wait for instructions from above and all they could do was to pass to whichever passengers were buzzing them on the intercom the same meaningless drivel that they themselves were getting.
Yet, it’s not as if there aren’t better ways of getting information out to commuters. Look at this picture I took on Monday:

Our trains are equipped with several devices than can be used for communication. A proper information dissemmination system would use all these devices, in addition to twitter and overhead speakers. Devices A and B would allow information to be sent out centrally; that way, they can be up-to-date, comprehensive and in several languages. Device B could even feature photos, for example showing passengers on a train what a back-up shuttle bus looks like, or a map where to find them, BEFORE passengers reach a station. It could also display information about other bus services available at the station the train was going to to be stuck at. Doing all this will lessen the confusion at stations.
I wonder though whether devices A and B are capable of being centrally reprogrammed at short notice. In fact I wonder if device B is really meant for advertising only.
These would be the kinds of questions we should ask. What tools were at out disposal to better manage a crisis situation? Why weren’t they used? Why did nobody plan ahead, imagining various scenarios?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/train-breakdown-calls-for-two-commissions-of-inquiry-not-one/#more-6429

[h=3]Train breakdown calls for two commissions of inquiry, not one[/h]<small class="entry-meta"> Published <abbr class="published" title="2011-12-20T12:14:44+0000">20 December 2011</abbr> urbanscape and environment9 Comments
</small>

Shucks couldn't sleep tonight . . . . but reading this article halfway suddenly felt very sleepy. Will continue reading the rest tomorrow. Thanks scroobal. Goodnight scroobal.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
On Thursday night, I myself only heard announcements made in pidgin English over the public announcement system while on the platforms, but not while inside the train. As I wrote previously, I couldn’t quite understand what the announcer was saying, and I don’t believe others did either. Over the weekend, people have suggested announcements in the four official languages. Frankly, if the station master couldn’t even manage an intelligible announcement in English we can forget about getting it in other languages.

Forget the technicalities of third rails and shoes. This statement is the most damning of all and has consequences that extend far beyond crisis management and train breakdowns. Singapore has become a nation which can't speak ANY language proficiently. The long term ramifications are very serious.

To fix this, it has to make stark choices. The country either has to learn at least ONE of the 4 official languages properly and make it the de facto medium of communication or it has to invent it's own language [which Singlish pretty much is], make it an official, and teach everyone to use it. It should be stripped of its "pidgin" status and given the status it deserves.. a unique sinkie means of communication. It can then be taught in language schools around the world giving Singaporeans the opportunity to earn a decent living in foreign lands.

There is no point continuing to insist that ENGLISH is the official language of business. Very few sinkies speak the language anymore and those that do know the basics usually distort the pronunciation of words so badly that nobody else on planet earth seems to understand what they're trying to say.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to do language competency. If old man was born a Hokkein and Lim Chin Siong was born a Hakka. Like Taiwan, we would not force the Mandarin issue down the throats of the Chinese majority and English would not have suffered.

We laugh at Ah Tiong speaking half past English, make disparaging comments about the Pinoy's accent while the FT Indian end up talking better than us.

Forget the technicalities of third rails and shoes. This statement is the most damning of all and has consequences that extend far beyond crisis management and train breakdowns. Singapore has become a nation which can't speak ANY language proficiently. The long term ramifications are very serious.

To fix this, it has to make stark choices. The country either has to learn at least ONE of the 4 official languages properly and make it the de facto medium of communication or it has to invent it's own language [which Singlish pretty much is], make it an official, and teach everyone to use it. It should be stripped of its "pidgin" status and given the status it deserves.. a unique sinkie means of communication. It can then be taught in language schools around the world giving Singaporeans the opportunity to earn a decent living in foreign lands.

There is no point continuing to insist that ENGLISH is the official language of business. Very few sinkies speak the language anymore and those that do know the basics usually distort the pronunciation of words so badly that nobody else on planet earth seems to understand what they're trying to say.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
we would not force the Mandarin issue down the throats of the Chinese majority and English would not have suffered.

Forcing Mandarin down throats didn't work either. Sinkies can't speak Mandarin. They speak Singdarin.

There is nothing more hilarious than listening to a Sinkie trying to speak Mandarin to someone who actually knows the language.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember 10 years back when I first came to Sydney most of the Singaporean students makes disparaging remarks about the badly maintained, slow, smelly train system they have here. Compared to the MRT back home, Sydney rail transport looks really bad. I then mentioned that the rail system in Sydney has more then 100 years of history to it. and we should see what happens after MRT is in use for that long. Now it seems that with the recent disruptions, problems that MRT is having, it doesn't take that long to realised that MRT has really dropped the ball on this one. If you still want to feel, or look at how MRT used to runned like take a look at Hong Kong's MTR, it really reminded me of how MRT used to be like.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forcing Mandarin down throats didn't work either. Sinkies can't speak Mandarin. They speak Singdarin.

There is nothing more hilarious than listening to a Sinkie trying to speak Mandarin to someone who actually knows the language.

That I have to agree with you, during my time, we had proper Chinese teachers teaching Mandarin & Chinese from the Chinese Middle Schools. We are the product of that era, speaking proper Mandarin, writing proper Chinese & all the values that came with it. Even that they handled it poorly, it was a kind of 'shaft it' down your throat thing, & they assumed that all are created the same, having the same language capabilities. They still struggling with the Chinese thing today.

But I can fairly say, that people of my time, who are effective Bilingual speaks, good proper English & Manadarin, write good Chinese & English, those in between are good in one language & so-so in the other. At least the speak English & Mandarin, not Singlish or Singdarin, as you had mentioned.

I cringe, when I hear those from the 'lesser mortals, schools speak Mandarin & their version of school taught English...." you got bring the Ipod or not"? & the Mandarin with the "lah, the mah, the mei".

You expect the announcement over the train PA system to be clearly hear & understand? They should annouce the train breakdown like this " Hello!, the train spoil already, you wait ah!, we go see what to do, pleas wait ha!"

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Wait a minute.

What happens to recent years of high scoring GCE "O" and "A" level result that we produced since the 90s, as compare to our time in the 70s and 80s, didn't they excel in both English and Mandarin?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in terms of communication, SMRT definitely is lagging.

In HK MTR, there are panels above each door in each carriage telling you information of the next station / which side to alight. Then, they have honest LED screens where there is display of an array of information - commercial, news ticker, weather, etc...and they are up to date. no audio...

these are there for at least 10 years, way before SMRT experimented with their LED panel above the train doors and majority of the time, it is not working properly. I level the question - why can't we have something like that?

these screen can be used to broadcast messages in times of need...

Oh yes...these are not revenue generating, and these are costs...

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That I have to agree with you, during my time, we had proper Chinese teachers teaching Mandarin & Chinese from the Chinese Middle Schools. We are the product of that era, speaking proper Mandarin, writing proper Chinese & all the values that came with it. Even that they handled it poorly, it was a kind of 'shaft it' down your throat thing, & they assumed that all are created the same, having the same language capabilities. They still struggling with the Chinese thing today.

But I can fairly say, that people of my time, who are effective Bilingual speaks, good proper English & Manadarin, write good Chinese & English, those in between are good in one language & so-so in the other. At least the speak English & Mandarin, not Singlish or Singdarin, as you had mentioned.

I cringe, when I hear those from the 'lesser mortals, schools speak Mandarin & their version of school taught English...." you got bring the Ipod or not"? & the Mandarin with the "lah, the mah, the mei".

You expect the announcement over the train PA system to be clearly hear & understand? They should annouce the train breakdown like this " Hello!, the train spoil already, you wait ah!, we go see what to do, pleas wait ha!"

hi there

1. uncle, 5 thumbs up!
2. i believe i also come from the same "era".
3. where students were literally "slapped' hard on the face.
4. if we uttered" my one, my two thing".
5. coming from an all-boy aided school, english & discpline were paramount those days.
6. now, look at students of today, no eye see!
7. cannot even speak properly or deliver a correct sentence.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ok lor you win lor

One of the most difficult aspects of learning Singlish is to grasp the rules behind the use of lah, lor, har, hor, meh, mah, siah, liao etc. It takes years to learn.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Jamaicans can make their brand of pidgin English accepted worldwide, even adopted for use by some others, why not Singlish?

Ahh, must be the ganja mahn!!!

Cheers!