• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Examples of how difficult it is to learn Thai language!!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is another difficult part, telling time. Cos their logic for time is different from English and (new) Chinese way of telling time. Different logic, especially the evenings.

Example :

12 am - tiang khuen

From 1 am to 5 am, they use dtee, following by the number 1,2,3,4 5.

1 am - dtee neung (neung is 1)
2 am - dtee song (song is 2)
3 am - dtee sam (sam is 3)....
4 am - dtee see (5)
5 am - dtee haa (6)

From 6 am to 11 am, they use Mong Chao!

6 am - Hok Mong Chaaw (Hok is the number 6)

......7 am ..... 10 am ..... it all the numbers 7 to, 11 plus Mong Chaaw

11 am - Sip et Mong chaaw (Sip et is 11)

12 pm - tiang wan

From 1 pm to 3 pm they use Baai Moong, a bit more difficult cos the number is in the middle

1 pm - Baai Mong (no number one)
2 pm - Baai Song Mong (Song is 2)
3 pm Baai Saam Mong

From 4 pm to 6 pm they use Mong Yen. So is 4,5, and 6 in thai followed by Mong Yen.

4 pm - See Mong Yen
5 pm - Haa Mong Yen
6pm - Hok Mong Yen

Now the most fucking difficult is the evening. From 7 pm t 11 pm, instead of using number 7 to 11, they go from1 to 5 again!!!

7 pm - Neung Thum (Neung is number 1)
8 pm - Song Thum (Song is number 2)
9 pm - Saam Thum (Saam is number 3)
10 pm - See Thum (See is number 4)
11 pm - Haa Thum (Haa is number 5)

So instead of going with the logic 7 pm, 8 pm, 9 pm, 10 pm, 11 pm, you get 1 thum (evening), 2 thum, 3 thum, 4 thum and 5 thum.

So is not a direct translation of number, but rather a different logic. How the fuck to remember 4 Thum is 10 pm?

I know a lot of Thai people who problem articulating 7 pm to 11 pm in English because they have the "Thum" logic.

Similarly, for me, although I speak Thai quite ok, but sometimes I still need to think 10 pm is Saam Toom (3 evening) or See Toom (4 evening)

Btw, Thum is not "evening" per say, but rather the gong sound of Thai temple in the evening. "The toom toom toom sound of the temple gongs"

[video=youtubewatch?v=hcCtL1zxGYY[]

I dunno who taught you ทุ่ม is temple gong thoom thoom thoom.....
Kns that person ought to be shot!
Only a gong cheebye like you would believe that

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WTF are you saying you dumb nigger?

Wouldn't you bitching how easy thai is to learn and how difficult chinese is.

Look at your post your post is actually speaking up for e69 who claims thai is hard while chinese is easy and you the opposite.

The part i highlighted in red well how does it aid you in your argument to e69 who you claim is a dumbfuck because he finds thai difficult in the part i highlighted it actually aids him since it is assumed he isn't learning thai in a formal school and using it on a daily basis. In short you have contridicted yourself.

Anyway you have 30 years of learning thai well you're supposed to be pretty proficient in it right? I mean if you are bad in it that's worse than any school kid. :rolleyes:

Dumbfuck. He said I find thai easy because I know Chinese. That already proved Chinese is harder.
I just want to show him that it took a lot of learning and formal schooling to achieve my current level of Chinese.
Let me simplified it for you.
E69 probably went to school formally for at least 12 years to reach his current level of Chinese.
If he had the same 12 years of final schooling in learning thai.....his mastery of thai language would way supersede that of his Chinese for sure.
That will prove my point that thai is not a difficult language to learn.
You harp on my 30 years thai experience to master thai. Well I've 50 years living as a chink and around same time spent living amongst chinks dominated society to hone the language and yet I think my proficiency in both thai and Chinese is about the same.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I dunno who taught you ทุ่ม is temple gong thoom thoom thoom.....
Kns that person ought to be shot!
Only a gong cheebye like you would believe that

That is what I read, you piece of worthless shit.

And it make sense.

If not then tell us what does thum means?

Writing it in Thai does not mean you really know what thum means.

Last edited:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dumbfuck. He said I find thai easy because I know Chinese. That already proved Chinese is harder.
I just want to show him that it took a lot of learning and formal schooling to achieve my current level of Chinese.
E69 probably went to school formally for at least 12 years to reach his current level of Chinese.
If he had the same 12 years of final schooling in learning thai.....his mastery of thai language would way supersede that of his Chinese for sure.
You harp on my 30 years thai experience to master thai. Well I've 50 years living as a chink and around same time spent living amongst chinks dominated society to hone the language and yet I think my proficiency in both thai and Chinese is about the same.

Hello gongest chee bye, your logic is hopeless.

You find Thai easy because you have a foundation in Chinese, which is another tonial language.

You assume IF I went to school to learn Thai blah blah blah and then you draw your assumption based on your IF!!

Right Mr Gongest chee bye in this forum.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hello gongest chee bye, your logic is hopeless.

You find Thai easy because you have a foundation in Chinese, which is another tonial language.

You assume IF I went to school to learn Thai blah blah blah and then you draw your assumption based on your IF!!

Right Mr Gongest chee bye in this forum.

Already mentioned thai does not figure as one the most difficult languages to learn.
Chinese / mandarin comsistently top the list.
These are from stats compiled from professional translators and linguists.
I also offered my own experience which is 14 years of formal schooling in Chinese vs total accumulated of not more than 1 year of actual lessons to learn thai. Now my proficiency in both languages are almost on par. It's clear Chinese is harder of the 2

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

you are the dumb fuck you nigger.

Learn how to write it properly so that people can understand. I mean you learnt english in school and use it daily up till today posting in this forum even though i believe you are cheena educated from those cheena hokkien peng background but from the way you write in which you cannot express yourself properly without misunderstandings shows that actually english is the hardest for you to learn.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Already mentioned thai does not figure as one the most difficult languages to learn.
Chinese / mandarin comsistently top the list.
These are from stats compiled from professional translators and linguists.
I also offered my own experience which is 14 years of formal schooling in Chinese vs total accumulated of not more than 1 year of actual lessons to learn thai. Now my proficiency in both languages are almost on par. It's clear Chinese is harder of the 2

almost 30 years now drop to 1 year? :rolleyes:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
almost 30 years now drop to 1 year? :rolleyes:

Dumbfuck 1 year accumulated total of what is considered formal training....
I've lived as a chink for 50 years....so I've been schooled in Chinese for 50 years? Dun twist and turn and peng prata like ah neh.....really suspicious you're a shitskin for real.....you certainly have all their traits

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you are the dumb fuck you nigger.

Learn how to write it properly so that people can understand. I mean you learnt english in school and use it daily up till today posting in this forum even though i believe you are cheena educated from those cheena hokkien peng background but from the way you write in which you cannot express yourself properly without misunderstandings shows that actually english is the hardest for you to learn.

Thank you for proving my point.
I've 18 years of formal schooling in the English medium. And that includes overseas angmo uni credentials too. Maybe can blame the failed pap 2 languages policy too.
If this proves English is hardest to learn then thai would be easy by comparison.....I only had at most 1 year of formal training.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is what I read, you piece of worthless shit.

And it make sense.

If not then tell us what does thum means?

Writing it in Thai does not mean you really know what thum means.

Of course I know what the word means....
You read it somewhere? Either that's shit or you misinterpreted the shit wrongly
It means a lot of things but nothing remotely like temple gong thoom thoom thoom hahaha.....
Struggling to tell the time in thai? That's even below kindergarten level.....you're dumber that I give you credit for.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You only need to learn a single Thai phrase:

"Poo ying thao rai?"

It's even more fun if you go to the provision shops or kopitiams in the rural areas and use the phrase. :biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thai is a tonal language... that's one of the first things will realize when learning the Thai alphabet. :biggrin:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dumbfuck 1 year accumulated total of what is considered formal training....
I've lived as a chink for 50 years....so I've been schooled in Chinese for 50 years? Dun twist and turn and peng prata like ah neh.....really suspicious you're a shitskin for real.....you certainly have all their traits

fuck off la you didn't even mention what u did for thai but just mentioned 30 years but then again even you didn't go to a formal school with 30 years exposed to thai culture, language etc you should be proficient in it. Hell someone exposed 10 years to it would know. Nigger.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you for proving my point.
I've 18 years of formal schooling in the English medium. And that includes overseas angmo uni credentials too. Maybe can blame the failed pap 2 languages policy too.
If this proves English is hardest to learn then thai would be easy by comparison.....I only had at most 1 year of formal training.

:rolleyes: oh please nigger why change the subject.

Now you blame PAP policy? If your engrish standard is like this including studying in ang moh uni (i don't know how you can blame the pap bilingual policy despite being in a foreign country i assume) well then you are a cina ah beng through and through but somehow hates what he is?

FYI nobody in here knows how good your thai is. Whenever a proficiency in a language is discussed there are 2 main factors involved. The spoken language and the written language. Let's go easy on you ok. No need to write in thai script at all since i doubt many ppl in here would understand anyhow. Just translate this passage into thai using english words as translation.

oIt tastes stale! GO
oI couldn't help it. They were so good! GO
oHow do you want your beef? GO
oMake it small, please. GO
oI want it to be very, very lean. GO
oHow often do you eat out? GO
oI'd like to reserve a table for dinner. GO
oIt's on me. GO
oIt's my treat. GO
oA drink to you and your future wife! GO

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
:rolleyes: oh please nigger why change the subject.

Now you blame PAP policy? If your engrish standard is like this including studying in ang moh uni (i don't know how you can blame the pap bilingual policy despite being in a foreign country i assume) well then you are a cina ah beng through and through but somehow hates what he is?

FYI nobody in here knows how good your thai is. Whenever a proficiency in a language is discussed there are 2 main factors involved. The spoken language and the written language. Let's go easy on you ok. No need to write in thai script at all since i doubt many ppl in here would understand anyhow. Just translate this passage into thai using english words as translation.

oIt tastes stale! [B
[TD="width: 226, bgcolor: #E9E9E9"]I couldn't help it. They were so good!

[TD="width: 45, align: center"] [URL="http://www.focusenglish.com/dialogues/eating/couldnthelpit.html"]GO
[/TD]

[TR]
[TD="width: 12, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="width: 46, align: center"] o[/TD]
[TD="width: 226"]How do you want your beef?[/TD]
[TD="width: 45, align: center"] GO[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 46, bgcolor: #E9E9E9, align: center"] o[/TD]
[TD="width: 226, bgcolor: #E9E9E9"]Make it small, please.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 226"]I want it to be very, very lean.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 226, bgcolor: #E9E9E9"]How often do you eat out?[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 199"]I'd like to reserve a table for dinner.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 199, bgcolor: #E9E9E9"]It's on me.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 199"]It's my treat.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 199, bgcolor: #E8E8E9"]A drink to you and your future wife![/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 42, align: left"] [/TD]
[TD="width: 369"] [/TD]
[TD="width: 45, align: center"] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 17"][/TD]
[TD="width: 322"][/TD]
[TD="width: 52, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]

I din change the subject.....
I just use your example as how relatively easy it's to learn thai vis a vis English even.
Even if you dun believe I went to uni.....just assume I only got psle and that's already 8 years of formal schooling if kindergarten is included. Compared that to 1 year of thai lessons. That already proves thai is easy to learn compared to Chinese and English even. If a cina Beng like me can master thai isn't it further proof that thai is easy to learn?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I din change the subject.....
I just use your example as how relatively easy it's to learn thai vis a vis English even.
Even if you dun believe I went to uni.....just assume I only got psle and that's already 8 years of formal schooling if kindergarten is included. Compared that to 1 year of thai lessons. That already proves thai is easy to learn compared to Chinese and English even. If a cina Beng like me can master thai isn't it further proof that thai is easy to learn?

Look u have not shown how good your thai proficiency is anyway.

Prease rah ok even doh you tink you slpeak thai does it means you know thai?

Seriously read that last sentence if i wrote my "engrish" like this to you would you claim i am proficient and i told you i have 30 years of immersion in the language despite not much formal schooling?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look u have not shown how good your thai proficiency is anyway.

Prease rah ok even doh you tink you slpeak thai does it means you know thai?

Seriously read that last sentence if i wrote my "engrish" like this to you would you claim i am proficient and i told you i have 30 years of immersion in the language despite not much formal schooling?

Honestly I dunno what you meant by what 'last sentence'....
Perhaps my engrish is really not up to par that I fail to understand what you trying to say.
Anyway it's about my thai proficiency.....I've moved away and beyond from using romanized thai and I feel the "questions' you put up is an insult. Pls test me on something more cheem.
Ok I know what you going to say.....but even if translated it proves nothing due to a host of translation software or if I really bullshitting I could get help. So it will prove nothing.
So why not move the spotlight back to TS.
Every thai learner knows telling time is the basic of basics in learning thai conversation and one of the first few topics. Chump claims it's difficult. And that smart Alecky thoom thoom temple gong takes the cake. He claims he speak thai but can't tell the time. What fucking BS is that?