• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Example of Doctor abuse by Passive Aggressive Canadians

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
https://cpsa.ca/news/small-comments-with-a-big-impact/

Small Comments with a Big Impact​

August Messenger Special Edition 2021, From Physicians | Posted August 31, 2021

By Dr. Alejandra Ugarte Torres, MD, MPH, FRCPC

Read time: 4 minutes​

My day was going well. I had seen two patients at the clinic and the sense of accomplishment was big. My third patient encounter started a bit differently. I entered the room with the medical student who was working with me. I saw a man with swollen legs accompanied by a family member. I introduced myself as I usually do. “Good morning! I am Dr. (my last name), I will be your doctor today. This is our medical student, (name).”
The family member immediately turned to me and asked, “Dr. What? What kind of name is that?” I felt uneasy, and I thought, not again… I repeated my last name slowly. Then, after a pause, I turned my attention to the patient. As I was asking questions to understand more about the presenting illness, the family member looked attentive to me. Then the next question came, as I was anticipating it would happen: “Where did you do your medical training?” I felt extremely uncomfortable and entirely undermined in my clinic and front of my medical student.
I took a pause and answered. “I did all my medical training in (my home country) and retrained here in Canada.”
I was feeling upset, but I continued asking more questions to my patient to understand the social context and provide personalized care. I did not even finish the second question when the family member interrupted again and said, “You are very lucky to be able to practise medicine in Canada.”
The overwhelming feeling of pain, anger, frustration and helplessness started growing inside me. I knew I could not answer at that time, so I excused myself and went outside the room. I could not stop thinking about why people believe that having an accent means I am not qualified to practise medicine in Canada. I wondered if they would ask the same question to a white doctor. Do they understand that their curiosity to know more about my “exotic background” really means they are questioning my medical credentials and capability? Do they understand that their comments have the intention to remind me that I am different, that I do not belong to the Canadian standards, that I am not good enough? I am not lucky. I worked hard to be where I am today. I spent countless days and nights away from my family to retrain in Canada. I am smart, compassionate and a skilled physician. And yet, all they see is a young female doctor of colour with a heavy accent. Microaggressions like this happen every day in my clinical practice.
Microaggressions at the workplace are subtle, pervasive comments or actions against oppressed or minority people based on the colour of the skin, gender, gender identity, ethnicity, ability and religion, among other characteristics1. The effect of microaggressions is cumulative and can affect mental and physical health, self-esteem, performance, achievement and advancement in the professional career. How can we answer microaggressions? How can we implement a real change that promotes inclusion and does not allow discrimination in our health care system?
Addressing microaggressions in the workplace environment can be challenging when there is no support, no desire for culture change, and no policy in place to protect the victim. It can also be difficult for the recipient to respond to microaggressions when there is a risk of retaliation. Based on a humanistic approach, Ackerman et al2, developed a triangle model to navigate microaggressions in the health profession. This approach focuses on 3 angles:
  1. The recipient
    • Use the ACTION approach3 to frame your response: Ask clarifying questions (“You seem surprised I am a physician. Are you surprised?”); Come from curiosity, not judgement (“I want to better understand your surprise.”); Tell what you observed with facts (“I noticed you didn’t ask my resident where he did his medical school.”); Impact exploration (“Your questions make me feel like you are doubting my credentials.”); Own your thoughts and feelings about the subject (“It is difficult to be the only Latina doctor in the clinic, and I don’t have the same validation as my white colleagues.”); Next steps (“I’d be happy to continue this discussion at a later time.”).
  2. The bystander and institution
    • As a bystander, speak up. Do what you can to provide safe spaces, celebrate and promote diversity, advocate behind closed doors, educate and engage toward a common goal, and empathize and avoid judgement. Institutions can prioritize funding for diversity, equity and inclusion, develop explicit policies against racism and discrimination, revise and correct policies and procedures that perpetuate racism and discrimination, encourage programs that promote diversity in hiring, mentorship and networking, and provide and mandate microaggression education and anti-racism training.
  3. The source
    • Recognize the effect of your actions, regardless of intention. Learn about your power and privilege, educate yourself, listen and seek feedback, be accountable, apologize, and commit to being better.

References
1 Sue DW, Capodilupo C, Torina Gina, et al. Racial Microaggressions in everyday life. American Psychologist 2007; 62(4): 271-286. doi: 10.1037/0003-066X.62.4.271
2 Ackerman-Barger K, Jacobs NN. The microaggressions Triangle model: A humanistic approach to navigate microaggressions in Health Professions schools. Academic Medicine 2020; 95:S28-S32. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000003692
3 Cheung F, Ganote CM, Souza TJ. Microaggressions and micro resistance: Supporting and empowering students. In: Faculty Focus Special Report: Diversity and Inclusion in the College Classroom. Madison, WI: Magna Publications; 2016

Biograph picture of Dr. Ugarte Torres. She is wearing glasses and a pink striped scarf, smiling in front of a beige background.
Dr. Alejandra Ugarte Torres, MD, MPH, FRCPC (she/her/ella) is a clinical lecturer at the University of Calgary and a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. She completed Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases training at Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion “Salvador Zubiran”, UNAM (1999-2005) and at the University of Calgary (2012-2017). She has a Master’s in Public Health from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Her areas of interest include sexually transmitted infections, social justice and equity.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The writer never said what she eventually did. My guess was she just kept quiet.

After all taking the time to do all those steps she said would take about an hour which would have set her behind her schedule by an hour with more angry patients waiting and increasing the risk of further microaggressions.

As she said :

"Addressing microaggressions in the workplace environment can be challenging when there is no support, no desire for culture change, and no policy in place to protect the victim."

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
The writer never said what she eventually did. My guess was she just kept quiet.

After all taking the time to do all those steps she said would take about an hour which would have set her behind her schedule by an hour with more angry patients waiting and increasing the risk of further microaggressions.

As she said :

"Addressing microaggressions in the workplace environment can be challenging when there is no support, no desire for culture change, and no policy in place to protect the victim."

but it's expected when u decide to move there right?
just that expectations now become reality causing u stress?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
he could have been dr. igor kutchyakorkoff, russian physician with an accent plus a specialty in “painless circumcision.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Honestly people need to harden up. I've been facing this sort of stuff since I was a kid and it does not affect me in the least.

In fact I too dish out this sort of "pain" on my fellow human beings periodically when I think it is appropriate. There are always two sides to any story.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
but it's expected when u decide to move there right?
just that expectations now become reality causing u stress?
when I moved to Canada I never planned that I would be a doctor again.

Part of leaving Singapore was to leave medicine.

People kept telling me the bad experiences I had in SG will not happen in Canada.

Truth is, it is LESS than in SG. But it still happens. I made a mistake, when I finished my residency I went to work at clinic serving Chinese population, leverage off my Mandarin and Cantonese language ability to get more business from the start. Serving PRC and Hongkie patients is actually WORSE than serving Singaporeans.

Anyway the sad part is that pretty everywhere you go in the world, doctors are like the lowest class in professional world when it comes to protecting against abuse.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Honestly people need to harden up. I've been facing this sort of stuff since I was a kid and it does not affect me in the least.

In fact I too dish out this sort of "pain" on my fellow human beings periodically when I think it is appropriate. There are always two sides to any story.

problem is if the Dr "dishes out" anything......the college or the SMC will discipline that doctor.

We are on the losing end. Like I said chihuahua. You wanna bite anyone as a Chihuahua? More than likely you get beaten to cripple or death.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
problem is if the Dr "dishes out" anything......the college or the SMC will discipline that doctor.

We are on the losing end. Like I said chihuahua. You wanna bite anyone as a Chihuahua? More than likely you get beaten to cripple or death.

Just say something like "Let me recommend another doctor....". Would that get you in trouble?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Just say something like "Let me recommend another doctor....". Would that get you in trouble?

Yes.

On what basis are you "dismissing" the patient?

And why can't you maintain composure and continue care for your patient?

https://cpsa.ca/physicians/standard...atient-relationship-in-office-based-settings/

1. A regulated member who terminates a relationship with a patient must have reasonable grounds for discharging the patient from his or her medical practice and document those reasons in the patient’s record.
  2. A regulated member must not discharge a patient:
    1. based on a prohibited ground of discrimination including age, gender, marital status, medical condition, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status;
    2. because a patient makes poor lifestyle choices (such as smoking);
    3. because a patient fails to keep appointments or pay outstanding fees unless advance notice has been given to the patient;
    4. because the patient refuses to follow medical advice unless the patient is repeatedly non-adherent despite reasonable attempts by the physician to address the non-adherence; or
    5. because the regulated member relocated his/her practice to a new location/setting to which current patients could be reasonably expected to follow.
  3. Notwithstanding clause 2(e), a regulated member may terminate patient relationships if:
    1. the regulated member is changing scope of practice wherein current patients would no longer fit within the new scope; or
    2. a relocation occurs more than twelve (12) months after closing an earlier practice.
  4. When unilaterally terminating a relationship with a patient, a regulated member must:
    1. give advance written notice of intention to terminate care and provide a timeline that is commensurate with the continuing care needs of the patient;
    2. advise the patient of the reasons for termination of the physician-patient relationship unless disclosure of the reasons could be expected to:
      1. result in immediate and grave harm to the patient’s mental or physical health or safety;
      2. threaten the mental health and physical health or safety of another individual; or
      3. pose a threat to public safety.
    3. ensure continuity of follow-up care for outstanding investigations and serious medical conditions prior to the termination date or arrange transfer of care to another regulated member;
    4. provide or arrange for care until the termination of care; and
    5. establish a process for transfer of the patient’s medical information in response to future requests by the patient or an authorized third party.
  5. Notwithstanding clause (4), a regulated member may immediately discharge a patient if:
    1. the patient poses a safety risk to office staff, other patients or the regulated member;
    2. the patient is abusive to the regulated member, staff or other patients;
    3. the patient fails to respect professional boundaries; or
    4. the regulated member is leaving medical practice because of personal illness or other urgent circumstances.

Very hard to prove. The bar is set very high basically.

Aiyah best to just bite the tongue and take the shit lah.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

also who you gonna "recommend"?

You think other drs are stupid? They will ask, oh why do you want me to see this patient?

Can't be because he is an asshole so I pass the asshole to you. Or he is damn fucking rude so I rather let you kena his rudeness than me.

LOL!

Got to have medical reason lah.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
This is the advice from CMPA

https://www.cmpa-acpm.ca/en/advice-...s/2006/ending-the-doctor-patient-relationship

Ending the doctor-patient relationship​

An article for physicians by physicians
Originally published March 2006 / Revised July 2015
IS0659-E

Abstract​

Considerations for ending the doctor-patient relationship.
Of interest to all physicians
For many physicians, deciding when it is appropriate or necessary to end a doctor-patient relationship can be difficult. Once the decision is made, the next question is how to carry it out.

Making the decision​

As a physician, you are ethically permitted to end a doctor-patient relationship for reasons other than your own retirement, relocation or leave of absence provided the patient does not need urgent or emergent care, and provided you have given the patient adequate notice to find another physician. In Québec, a physician is also required to have reasonable and just cause to end the relationship.
You should also be aware of any human rights legislation, regulatory authority (College) policies, and/or codes of ethics that prohibit discrimination in the provision of medical services and that may require reasonable grounds to discharge a patient or that may otherwise affect your ability to terminate the doctor-patient relationship.
The circumstances leading to your decision to end a therapeutic relationship may vary but the decision usually occurs when there is an irreconcilable breakdown in the doctor-patient relationship. On other occasions the behaviour of the patient may warrant termination of the relationship as for example, when the patient fraudulently obtains narcotics from you or steals a prescription pad, or when the patient threatens or is abusive to you or your staff. Physicians who wish to end a doctor-patient relationship in these instances are frequently concerned for their own safety and/or the safety of their staff and may wish to call the CMPA for advice on how to proceed. (not the POLICE?)

Terminating the relationship​

If you have decided that attempting to resolve the issues with the patient would not be appropriate in the circumstances or reasonable attempts at resolution have been unsuccessful, you may decide to terminate the relationship. You must then consider how to do so. Several Colleges have adopted guidelines advising physicians on the steps to take; you should be familiar with the guidelines in your province/territory. Being able to produce evidence you followed such guidelines will help you defend yourself against a College complaint or civil action arising from the termination.
Making the decision to end the doctor-patient relationship is all the more challenging when physician shortages exist across Canada and patients may have few alternatives to receive medical care from another physician. To avoid a claim of abandonment or a College complaint by a patient, you might consider taking the following steps:
  • Consider the circumstances, and if you think it is appropriate, inform the patient in person of the decision to terminate. There may be circumstances, such as when you are concerned for your safety, where such a meeting would not be advisable. If you do have a discussion with the patient, you should clearly document it in the patient's medical record and send a confirming letter, if your College requires it.
  • If you do not think a face-to-face meeting is advisable, send a letter (your College may require that it be registered) to the patient. Keep a copy of the letter in the patient's medical record.
  • Whether you meet with the patient in person and/or send a letter, you will want to:
    • Notify the patient clearly of your decision to end the doctor-patient relationship. You also need to decide what, if anything, you will tell the patient about the reasons for the termination. The Colleges appear to differ on the best course of action. When making this decision, you should take into consideration issues such as your personal safety and the patient's particular circumstances.
    • Provide the patient with reasonable notice of the date on which medical services will terminate. Tailor the notice period to each situation taking into consideration such things as the patient's circumstances, the availability of alternative physician resources in the community, and whether the patient poses any threat.
    • Advise the patient to obtain a new physician and, if possible, provide advice to the patient on possible steps to do so.
    • Advise the patient of the need to transfer copies of medical records to the new physician. You should also request the necessary consent to make the transfer. Consider any Privacy Commission or College guidelines that might apply to the transfer of patient records.
    • Inform the patient you will provide only urgent or emergent care in the interim.
    • Provide any specific information or instructions concerning the patient's particular medical condition (e.g., information about outstanding laboratory results and where they will be sent, information about renewal of prescriptions, or other specific medical advice) to ensure the continuity of care in the circumstances.
  • Inform your staff members about the termination and instruct them on how to transfer copies of the medical records. You should be as helpful as possible in ensuring the transfer to the new treating physician is done promptly.
  • Consider notifying other health care providers involved in the patient's care of the transfer of medical responsibility to ensure there is no interruption in the continuity of care. Privacy legislation may provide patients with the right to restrict what information you can communicate in these circumstances, so be aware of any such limitations in your specific case and seek advice from the CMPA or College on how to proceed.
It is important to obtain appropriate authorization from the patient before transferring any copies of medical records. You and your staff should also ensure the original records are retained in the event there is some question at a later time about the care you provided to the patient, or in the event of a College complaint or legal action surrounding the care or the termination.
Ending the doctor-patient relationship can be difficult and stressful for you as well as your patient. Keep careful records of the reasons for the termination and the steps you followed to ensure care was efficiently transferred to another physician. Acting in a compassionate manner that recognizes the inconvenience to the patient, while also informing the patient of how they might go about finding a new physician, will go a long way in making the transfer of care as smooth as possible.

The bottom line​

• As a physician, you are ethically permitted to end a doctor-patient relationship provided the patient does not need urgent or emergent care, and provided you have given the patient reasonable notice to find another physician. Under Québec's Code of Ethics of Physicians, a physician may end a therapeutic relationship when there is reasonable and just cause to do so.
  • Check to see if the College in your province/territory has guidelines on when or how a doctor-patient relationship may be terminated. Retain evidence you followed such guidelines.
  • Determine which is the most appropriate way to inform the patient of the decision to terminate — in person or by letter. If you are informing the patient in person, send a confirming letter, if your College requires it. In either case, give reasonable notice you are ending the relationship; advise the patient to find a new physician; with your patient's consent, have copies of the medical records transferred; inform the patient you will provide only urgent or emergent care in the interim; and provide specific information concerning the patient's particular medical condition to ensure continuity of care. Document the rationale for terminating the relationship in the patient's record and note any conversation you have with the patient in the patient's medical record or keep a copy of the letter.
  • Inform your staff members about the termination.
  • If appropriate, consider notifying other involved health care professionals that the relationship has ended.
  • Keep careful records of the steps you followed to efficiently transfer the patient's care to another physician.
  • Act compassionately to help make the transfer of care as smooth as possible.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Yes.

On what basis are you "dismissing" the patient?

And why can't you maintain composure and continue care for your patient?

https://cpsa.ca/physicians/standard...atient-relationship-in-office-based-settings/

1. A regulated member who terminates a relationship with a patient must have reasonable grounds for discharging the patient from his or her medical practice and document those reasons in the patient’s record.
  2. A regulated member must not discharge a patient:
    1. based on a prohibited ground of discrimination including age, gender, marital status, medical condition, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status;
    2. because a patient makes poor lifestyle choices (such as smoking);
    3. because a patient fails to keep appointments or pay outstanding fees unless advance notice has been given to the patient;
    4. because the patient refuses to follow medical advice unless the patient is repeatedly non-adherent despite reasonable attempts by the physician to address the non-adherence; or
    5. because the regulated member relocated his/her practice to a new location/setting to which current patients could be reasonably expected to follow.
  3. Notwithstanding clause 2(e), a regulated member may terminate patient relationships if:
    1. the regulated member is changing scope of practice wherein current patients would no longer fit within the new scope; or
    2. a relocation occurs more than twelve (12) months after closing an earlier practice.
  4. When unilaterally terminating a relationship with a patient, a regulated member must:
    1. give advance written notice of intention to terminate care and provide a timeline that is commensurate with the continuing care needs of the patient;
    2. advise the patient of the reasons for termination of the physician-patient relationship unless disclosure of the reasons could be expected to:
      1. result in immediate and grave harm to the patient’s mental or physical health or safety;
      2. threaten the mental health and physical health or safety of another individual; or
      3. pose a threat to public safety.
    3. ensure continuity of follow-up care for outstanding investigations and serious medical conditions prior to the termination date or arrange transfer of care to another regulated member;
    4. provide or arrange for care until the termination of care; and
    5. establish a process for transfer of the patient’s medical information in response to future requests by the patient or an authorized third party.
  5. Notwithstanding clause (4), a regulated member may immediately discharge a patient if:
    1. the patient poses a safety risk to office staff, other patients or the regulated member;
    2. the patient is abusive to the regulated member, staff or other patients;
    3. the patient fails to respect professional boundaries; or
    4. the regulated member is leaving medical practice because of personal illness or other urgent circumstances.

Very hard to prove. The bar is set very high basically.

Aiyah best to just bite the tongue and take the shit lah.

Why don't you practise some sort of alternative medicine instead? It's probably more lucrative.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
From the above you can see that it tends to be in GRAVE situations where the doctor and his or her staff safety is threatened that may constitute sufficient grounds to terminate a patient and if there was an ensuing complaint to the College that you could defend that decision.

otherwise......

DON'T FUCKING TERMINATE ANY PATIENT OK!!!!! JUST BITE THE TONGUE AND GET ON WITH IT.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Why don't you practise some sort of alternative medicine instead? It's probably more lucrative.

I am!

LOL!

Life is already a lot better now.

I still have PTSD lah. And I still get some siao lang patients. As a Dr part of my duty and expectation is to review safe use of cannabis eg driving, dont use in pregnancy.

Some siao lang patients TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH ME. And lecture me and berate me saying they know better and what I am saying is nonsense and pharma inspired and sponsored etc.

Again passive aggressive lah. No violence. Just very loud. And saying things like " you don't know anything dr", "I have been smoking this since I was 12 (he is now 68)", "you are just lying", "you are part of the evil regime". (Sounds familiar? read tobelightlight)

It's much better already. My problem is I still suffer from the PTSD. And whenever I kena it triggers flashbacks.

I could write a whole book on all the bad things that have happened to me in previous practices.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Meanwhile the college comes up with these kind of rhetoric

This was after a doctor was killed by his patient in the consult room

https://globalnews.ca/news/7880120/red-deer-doctor-murder-deng-mabiour-court-appearance/

Man accused of murdering Red Deer doctor at walk-in clinic appears in court​

By Bill Graveland The Canadian Press
Posted May 20, 2021 11:20 am
Updated May 25, 2021 6:50 am

Deng Mabiour, 54, was charged with first-degree murder in the death of Dr. Walter Reynolds. Mabiour will appear before the Alberta health review board to determine if he is fit to stand trial. Jenna Freeman reports – Mar 22, 2021

A man charged in the slaying of a family doctor at a central Alberta medical clinic made a brief court appearance Thursday in advance of his trial later this year.
70c8fc80

Deng Mabiour, 54, has been deemed fit to stand trial on a charge of first-degree murder in the death of Dr. Walter Reynolds, who was killed at the Village Mall Walk-In Clinic in Red Deer last August.
READ MORE: Man accused of killing Red Deer doctor reiterates he will go to trial without lawyer
Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Paul Belzil, who will be presiding over the case, issued a publication ban on what was discussed in court Thursday.
Mabiour, clad in a blue prison jumpsuit and wearing a white mask, was accompanied by two sheriffs as he sat in the prisoner’s box.
STORY CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT

Lawyer Jason Snider was appointed an amicus curiae, or friend of the court, to help Mabiour during his trial, which is set to run from Nov. 22 to Dec. 17.
Pretrial motions are to be heard Oct. 4.
Click to play video: 'Former colleagues remember doctor killed in Red Deer attack'
2:18Former colleagues remember doctor killed in Red Deer attack
Former colleagues remember doctor killed in Red Deer attack – Aug 11, 2020
Snider said outside court that there will be two main motions. One will involve the Crown seeking to have Mabiour’s statement to RCMP following his arrest entered into evidence. The second will be to accredit expert witnesses to testify at the trial.
Mabiour has made it clear throughout the proceedings that he intends to represent himself.
The Crown has previously indicated it would apply to the court for an order that Mabiour not be allowed to cross-examine civilian witnesses.
Snider said Mabiour remains on a mental-health warrant at the Southern Alberta Forensic Psychiatry Centre in Calgary.
STORY CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE: Man accused of murdering Red Deer Doctor to be assessed on whether he is mentally fit to stand trial
Reynolds, a 45-year-old father of two, was attacked with a weapon while working at the clinic on Aug. 10, 2020. He died in hospital.
One witness told media that she was in the waiting room when she heard cries for help and saw a man with a hammer and a machete.
RCMP have said the crime was not random and the two men knew each other through the clinic, although they have not said if Mabiour was a patient of Reynolds.

https://cpsa.ca/news/safety-in-care-settings-what-physicians-can-do/

Safety In Care Settings—What Physicians Can Do​

Go back to Messenger
December Messenger 2020, Professionalism & Standards | Posted December 14, 2020

After the tragic death of a colleague this past summer, safety in their workplace is, understandably, on the minds of many physicians.
Practising medicine is not easy. In addition to maintaining a vast and ever-changing repertoire of clinical knowledge, physicians are also tasked with handling situations which can be emotional and, at times, volatile. Caring for patients with complex needs during their most trying times and providing difficult, sensitive news adds to the challenges of clinical practice. While situations like the tragedy that occurred in Red Deer are extremely uncommon, many physicians have spoken out about their experiences with providing care in unsafe situations.
Physicians, healthcare workers and support staff have the right to feel safe in care spaces, just like workers in any other industry have a right to feel safe in the workplace. CPSA would never expect a physician to put their physical or psychological health at risk by practising in unsafe conditions.
What can be done if a physician feels unsafe?
  • If you feel your safety is at immediate risk, don’t hesitate to contact your local law enforcement. (Now then say can call Police!) You may also want to contact them if a patient threatens you.
  • We are here to offer advice: the Terminating the Physician-Patient Relationship In Office-Based Settings recognizes the importance of physician safety and outlines when and how a physician can end their relationship with a patient.
  • In October’s issue of The Messenger, we talked about surveillance cameras in clinics and whether their use is appropriate (they are allowed in public waiting rooms only and without sound—cameras in exam rooms are strictly prohibited).
  • The Violence Prevention Guide for Community Clinics by the Doctors of BC might be a helpful resource.
  • If you are struggling and need support, reach out to the Alberta Medical Association’s Physician and Family Support Program, at 1.877.SOS.4MDS. - (if you reach out to them they will report you to CPSA and have you temporarily suspended so you cannot work until you have resolved your issues)
  • CMPA is also available for medico-legal advice. - who never said to contact police see above
What can a physician do to protect colleagues while respecting patient privacy?
When a threatening patient is discharged, your first instinct may be to warn your colleagues. This is understandable; however, care must be taken not to breach a patient’s privacy.
Be sure to document the circumstances of your concerns directly in the patient’s record. This will inform the physician who sees the patient next (and presumably requests a transfer of records to allow for ongoing care) what led to the patient’s discharge. - (uhmm didn't the CPSA say earlier that when terminating and discharging patients we had to ensure they had been transferred to another dr and are now receiving proper care? see above. If write like that which dr want to take the patient? Then the patient complains Drs dont care about them anymore no care no access the dr will get disciplined! Of course if kena murder attempt can say wah lau so dangerous but wait until then can!)
Physicians are not alone -
(yeah right! Fact you have to say this, is because most physicians ARE ALONE)
CPSA understands the anxiety physicians may feel while still wanting to provide patients with the best care possible. We encourage physicians to prioritize their safety and seek support if needed.

Sigh. All for show lah.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
There are also the patients who are emotional vampires. You say A they say B. You say B they say A. Their Modus Operandi is not really to have rational discussion to help them.

They just want to complain. They feel the whole world is against them. They feel no one is listening to them. They keep talking non stop. They don't listen to anything you say. Just want to talk and talk. Reject everything every suggestion advice. Then ask you what's you advice. Then you fall into trap you try to help. Then they reject and say why your advice is shit. Then they ask again for your advice.

They also throw in inflamatory things like say you are a liar. Or a bad doctor. Or you are immoral. Or you are money grabbing. Stuff to try to make you angry. Angry so that you will lose patience and cool and last out at them. Then they have reason and ammunition to hit you hard. Threaten to complain to college.

This is the Modus Operandi.

Sounds familiar?

Try facing that in real life regularly.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
There are also the patients who are emotional vampires. You say A they say B. You say B they say A. Their Modus Operandi is not really to have rational discussion to help them.

They just want to complain. They feel the whole world is against them. They feel no one is listening to them. They keep talking non stop. They don't listen to anything you say. Just want to talk and talk. Reject everything every suggestion advice. Then ask you what's you advice. Then you fall into trap you try to help. Then they reject and say why your advice is shit. Then they ask again for your advice.

They also throw in inflamatory things like say you are a liar. Or a bad doctor. Or you are immoral. Or you are money grabbing. Stuff to try to make you angry. Angry so that you will lose patience and cool and last out at them. Then they have reason and ammunition to hit you hard. Threaten to complain to college.

This is the Modus Operandi.

Sounds familiar?

Try facing that in real life regularly.

I thought Canadians were nice people.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Sinkies are much more respectful towards docs… come back here
Nope. Singaporeans more law abiding less likely to try to ask doctor to help commit insurance fraud for them than PRC and hongkies. PRC and hongkies are also much more rude than Singaporeans.

But compared to white Canadians Singaporeans are more rude.

But siao lang and mental cases everywhere also got one lah.

Those are the ones very traumatic. Get PTSD. Also will complain to college make up false stories. Twist and turn.

Cos they done it many times to various drs and know it is a fun game as they will never get any consequences. Even school kids can get punished by principal.
But patients will never.