• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ever met someone like this - a bizzare businessman

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I met this chap about 8 years ago but I wonder if there are others like him.

He runs a small business but claims to be an astute businessman. Here are some interesting traits ;
- everything that he orders must be specially ordered and he goes to the wholesaler to get it. Durian season, special order from Malaysia, brought in by special contact.
- go eat Chicken rice, must go to East Coast 5 star and the guy there will prepare special plate of steamed / roast etc.
- Order cake for birthday, must go Ghim Moh and cake will look different
- buy car, car seats will be different and specially ordered.
- only goes to places where they know and acknowledge him.
- claims to have good contact for mechanic, house contractor, politician, customs agent, etc

There is nothing that he does that is not special. In the 8 years that I have known him, he has since lost his then business and sold his HDB flat to prevent bankruptcy. He is running another business now. He now rents a place and stays with the family. Son before passing driving test already got car. His 3 kids have the impression that Dad is a whiz in business.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He is rearry a whiz in business,is he a hongkie? I know of a hongkie businessman who is like that,everywhere he goes,pple know him. But the thing different from your friend is that he is very successful in his business.

He runs a small business but claims to be an astute businessman. He are some interesting traits ;
- everything that he orders must be specially ordered and he goes to the wholesaler to get it. Durian season, special order from Malaysia, brought in by special contact.
- go eat Chicken rice, must go to East Coast 5 star and the guy there will prepare special plate of steamed / roast etc.
- claims to have good contact for mechanic, house contractor, politician, customs agent, etc

There is nothing that he does that is not special. In the 8 years that I have known him, he has since lost his then business and sold his HDB flat to prevent bankruptcy. He is running another business now. He now rents a place and stays with the family. Son before passing driving test already got car. His 3 kids have the impression that Dad is a whiz in business.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
eh... your point being he is an eccentric person? Doing things that are "special" but lost his business of his "arrogance" ? I think what you have described is a very typical "chinaman" businessman. Think the old "TowKays" that like to live life as if he knows everything and keep spending money on "special" stuff.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone thinks they are unique !

When will the bullshit ever stops !

He is rewarding himself in how he sees fit .

Nothing extraordinary and nothing mediocre .

boundThunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you look around, there are many like him.

Inherited wealth of whatever size but squandered with some discernment so it some might ends with his kids. Quite thoughtful. Not a savvy businessman or he will be better than his old man who had given him the money and business earlier.

Inferiority complex, scares of things or people unfamiliar to him, always go to people he knew and put on some airs...Prodigal son/Ah Sia Kia...

Kids are impressionable and always thought that nothing is higher than daddy's shoulder but when the shit hits the fan that daddy has spent his portion of inheritance from Ah Kong, that will be another expression.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess he just wanna do business with people he knows la. And usually when u are repeat customer, the service is better.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

He runs a small business but claims to be an astute businessman. Here are some interesting traits ;

You are describing sinkie behavior, No substance must act have substance.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Ever met someone like this - a bizarre businessman

This guy is nothing like the typical chinaman businessman. This guy is really bizarre and you won't realise it until you see him do things over a period of times. He is also not rich, having lost much of his inheritance.

In fact, I have never across a chap like this thus asking if anyone met a person like this. He is also not arrogant but nice chap.

Here some of his other traits.

- any food he orders will be followed by special instruction such as chilli separate, extra this and that, fry shorter etc
- go starbucks tell staff put medium coffee in large container so that he can swill it to cool faster
- take plane, special menu ordered beforehand.

In fact anything he does has to be different. His wife is also following him. and their favourite bak kua is pepper bak kua.

It not that they throw money but however small must still be different.

I think what you have described is a very typical "chinaman" businessman.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are describing sinkie behavior, No substance must act have substance.

he is describing someone like u..

an ex-convict which cannot find job in spore, now in thailand pimping your ladyboy prostitute wife, and pretending to be a successful businessman online.:biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm in this case, maybe he just want to do things "different". There is nothign wrong with that. It might be something he wanted to "try" that is different that and he foudn he liked it, hence he stuck to it. I started to wear a vest a couple of months ago. And people keep saying it looks nice. So I'm as eccentric as the guy I suppose. :wink:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there's tis fella ...

he oso tinks he's special ...

he oso tinks his sons n dotter r whiz, he's dotter-in-law oso whiz ...

evrywhere he go, he tok how whiz he is ... even char kway teow man auto gif him 2 eggs instead of 1 ...

well, rest u noe ...

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Ever met someone like this - a bizarre businessman

When pay for things , did he use Brunei money rather than sinkie currency?

when he shit, did he stand rather than squat?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hmmm in this case, maybe he just want to do things "different". There is nothign wrong with that. It might be something he wanted to "try" that is different that and he foudn he liked it, hence he stuck to it. I started to wear a vest a couple of months ago. And people keep saying it looks nice. So I'm as eccentric as the guy I suppose. :wink:

wear vest is nothing, try wearing your underwear outside your shorts or jeans, that is eccentric.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
People do have different taste and do make special request but this guy does it all the time. If Starbucks serves medium coffee in large containers as a matter of course, he will then ask for medium cup. Ever seen a Kia with tan leather seats. In fact I have never seen him do anything ordinary.

I suspect its some kind of disorder or insecurity issue. Its done for everything.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I too suspect that it something to do with inferiority complex. I wonder if it falls under one of those disorders that has a name such as obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Inferiority complex, scares of things or people unfamiliar to him, always go to people he knew and put on some airs...Prodigal son/Ah Sia Kia...

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is making sense.. Last time he is rich and too used to have face. But not, he is not as capable as his upper generation and so feel bad of his situation and behave this way. This is one example of unhealthy living of used to being in a rich family.

He has breeze through his life in a rich and famous way when young but dun have the skills to maintain such luxury and then the downfall. He has taken his downfall badly.