• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Euro 2012 Qualifiers

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

160267_thumb.jpg

Poll of Bundesliga players reveals Germany will beat Spain to Euro 2012 crown
Over two thirds of those asked tipped Joachim Low's men for European glory, while Marco Reus takes the cake for breakthrough star of the season so far

160568_thumb.jpg

Borussia Dortmund's Mario Gotze targets starting spot for Germany in Euro 2012
The 19-year-old admitted that displacing the likes of Lukas Podolski and Thomas Muller will be a challenge and hinted that he could extend his stay at Signal Iduna Park

152303_thumb.jpg

Shakhtar Donetsk's Olexandr Rybka could miss Euro 2012 after failed drugs test
The Ukrainian shot-stopper could be suspended for up to two years after a doping test returned positive for an illegal substance

160566_thumb.jpg

Philipp Lahm hails Bayern Munich & Germany progress: 'We have improved over the last two years'
The 28-year-old has praised both his domestic and international teams for their steady improvement since 2010, but admits Spain are still favourites for Euro 2012

139998_thumb.jpg

Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick not focusing on possible England place at Euro 2012
The 30-year-old has not featured for the Three Lions since before World Cup 2010 and is refusing to hang his hopes on a recall despite being praised for his club form

153877_thumb.jpg

Joachim Low: Germany are not like Barcelona
The national team coach has stressed that his team have a different style of play from the Catalans, and has underlined the importance of a strong mentality in football

154166_thumb.jpg

Netherlands' Klaas-Jan Huntelaar seeking revenge against Germany at Euro 2012
The Schalke striker hasn't forgotten about the friendly loss in 2011 and is eager to set the record straight in the summer

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poll of Bundesliga players reveals Germany will beat Spain to Euro 2012 crown

Over two thirds of those asked tipped Joachim Low's men for European glory, while Marco Reus takes the cake for breakthrough star of the season so far

Jan 16, 2012 4:15:00 PM

By Enis Koylu

160267hp2.jpg
A poll of 228 Bundesliga players taken by Kicker has named Germany as the favourites for Euro 2012.

Spain beat Germany to claim their second European crown in 2008, and two years later it was the Spaniards who sent Joachim Low's men packing from the World Cup in South Africa.
Despite getting the better of their European rivals in the previous two tournaments, only 24 per cent of the Bundesliga players polled tipped Spain to retain their European crown, compared to 67.8 per cent who voted for Germany.

Elsewhere in the poll, Borussia Monchengladbach star Marco Reus was named as the breakthrough star of the first half of the campaign with 40.9 per cent of the vote after his performances led last season's relegation candidates to fourth place over Christmas.

A massive 82.5 percent of those polled claimed that Bayern Munich would end the season on top of the Bundesliga table.

Meanwhile, 65.8% of the players polled said that they were in favour of instituting goal-line technology, which Fifa president Sepp Blatter has indicated will be ready by the 2014 World Cup.

The Bundesliga resumes after its winter break on Friday, with Bayern Munich travelling to Borussia Monchengladbach.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

146482_thumb.jpg

Roma's Francesco Totti open to Italy return for Euro 2012: Never say never
The experienced attacker has opened the door to a comeback with the national team after Prandelli suggested that the veteran attacker was an option for Poland and Ukraine

162589_thumb.jpg

Former Manchester United striker Teddy Sheringham backs Paul Scholes for an England comeback at Euro 2012
The former Old Trafford striker believes the midfielder can make an impact at international level and maintains his old club must improve if they are to retain their title

163979_thumb.jpg

Bayern Munich captain Philipp Lahm plays down Schalke & Borussia Monchengladbach's title bids
The 28-year-old says that Dortmund pose a more realistic threat to his side, and is targeting Euro 2012 glory with Germany this summer in Poland and Ukraine

143083_thumb.jpg

FFF president Noel Le Graet happy for Laurent Blanc to continue as France coach
The former Bordeaux boss has done well since replacing Raymond Domenech, but the governing body say they must have a successful Euro 2012 for a new deal to be offered

163882_thumb.jpg

Cesare Prandelli admits including Roma's Francesco Totti in Italy's Euro 2012 squad is an option
The Azzurri coach says that every player in good physical shape is a potential candidate to make the squad for the tournament, regardless of their age

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

England's Fabio Capello: Spain are Euro 2012 favourites & Real Madrid's Jose Mourinho doesn't know how to stop Barcelona

The former Blancos boss is impressed with Spain and its core of players from the Catalan giants, and has stressed that the Portuguese coach can not find a way to stop them

Jan 24, 2012 1:15:00 PM

By Stefan Coerts

148980hp2.jpg
England coach Fabio Capello feels that Spain are the team to beat at this summer's European Championships because of their core of Barcelona players, and added that it is very hard to find a way to stop them, pointing out Real Madrid's difficulty in trying to beat the Catalan club.

Capello's England recently recorded a hard-fought 1-0 friendly win over Spain, but the former AC Milan boss stressed that Madrid trainer Jose Mourinho has yet to find the answer to Barcelona's style of play.

"Spain are the main favourites to win Euro 2012 in my opinion. They have a lot of Barcelona players in their team," Capello told reporters at the Italian Footballers Association (AIC) awards on Monday.

"We met them in a friendly encounter last year, and I was impressed with their ability to keep possession. Many have been looking to find the antidote, including Real Madrid and Jose Mourinho, but they have been unable to stop them."

Capello then moved on his prospects once his tenure as England manager is over after Euro 2012, and revealed he is considering returning to his native Italy, but to work as a commentator rather than taking up a management-based role.

"Before taking a decision we wait for the end of the European Championship," he told Daily Mail.

"Then let's see if I go back to Italy, as a TV commentator or as a coach. I am well in England, I am fine, but the Italian anthem is always a strong emotion."

Real Madrid will get another chance to attempt to beat Barcelona on Wednesday in the second-leg of their Copa del Rey quarter-final at Camp Nou.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Uefa president Michel Platini dismisses anti-English reputation

Frenchman talked about the Financial Fair Play rules and his dislike of foreign ownership, pointing to fan-owned club models seen in Germany as his preferred structure

Jan 27, 2012 1:54:00 PM

By Jay Jaffa

145875hp2.jpg
Michel Platini has spoken extensively about his reputation in England, but suggested his work is for the long-term benefit of English clubs as his Financial Fair Play regulations are set to be implemented across Europe.

Platini, the current president of Uefa, has also claimed the prospect of a winter World Cup in Qatar is not an issue and something the organisation are looking at with Fifa.

In recent years, Platini has come in for criticism from most sections of the English media for various rulings that have been perceived as being anti-English, but he insists he is looking at the bigger picture.

“The message I want to send is that this is not an English problem. This is not a question of wanting to kill the clubs in England or anywhere else, it is to help the clubs,” he told The Telegraph.

“This is about 53 national associations and we take the decisions for everyone. When we take a decision, of course there is a big media in England and so it gets a lot of attention, but this is about many clubs, from all over Europe.”

Financial Fair Play regulations will be measured at the end of the 2013-14 season and requires clubs to live within their means, only spending money they have actually earned and Platini aimed his warning to clubs that may overstep their financial limit.

He said: “This is a matter of philosophy. We cannot say that you can spend more money than you bring in. It is just like the economy in Britain, in France, and in Italy, where the governments have to tighten their belts. We have to do the same in football.

“They know what we will do, so it is up to them.

“We will be very honest and tough with them. They know the risk.”

When asked about English football, Platini commented on the identity between the clubs and fans, but crucially the threat foreign ownership presented to this chemistry.

“The fans, you have a great atmosphere in English football, the best," he said. “When you have some English players on the field they are playing not so bad.

“Look, there are some things that I like, some things that I do not like, it is the same in France.

“Maybe it is because I am 56, and I played football in the 1970s and 1980s, but when we played, football was about identity of the club.

“Now the fans are the only identity, because the players, the coaches, the owners, they come and they go.

“I am not in favour of so many foreign owners. In Germany, they have a policy where clubs have to be 51 per cent German-owned.

“In Spain the owners are the fans, the socios. I like these systems. Perhaps the fans in England would like it too, but they have to buy the big clubs first.”

Since taking the reigns from Lennart Johannsson in 2007, Platini has brought about a sea of change within the European game, beginning with the qualifying matches for Euro 2016, Uefa will be broadcast rights to all 53 nations.

Uefa has also extended the European Championships to 24 teams starting in 2016 and such examples of change have led to suggestions that he is fit to step into Sepp Blatter's shoes at Fifa.

He continued: “Why would I leave here? The elections are not for four years. I was elected for four years and I always respect my contract.

“I don’t know what I will do in four years, but I make this clear, I will always defend Fifa and I will defend the president of Fifa.

“He says he will resign in 2015 and I will try to help him finish his mandate well, because it is for the good of the game.

“Sometimes I agree with Blatter and sometimes I don’t, but I started working with him a long time ago because he is honest. He is not corrupt.

“Perhaps people around Fifa are corrupted, but Blatter is honest. Perhaps you don’t like the way he makes decisions, but he is honest, 200 per cent.”

As for Qatar 2022 – a venue Platini voted for – he is open to staging a winter tournament with temperatures well exceeding 100 degrees fahrenheit in the summer.

“The vote and the summer are two different things,” argues Platini.

“I voted for a region that never received the World Cup, that was my philosophy, not because Sarkozy had lunch with me.

“I have enough personality to decide what is good for football, not for the president of France or the prime minister of Great Britain, who also wanted my vote.

“But I thought, after South Africa 2010, where it was zero degrees at 5pm and there was no life for the fans, how can we ask the fans and players to go to this country when it is 50 or 60 degrees in July?

“I think the best time to play is winter.

“The World Cup is the most important moment for the game every four years, but where does it say we always have to pay in June? I don’t see the problem of playing in December.

“What is the problem for the Premier League to finish at the end of May instead of the beginning, and recuperate the time in December?

“We have to put the World Cup and the fans first.”

Explaining the decision to expand the European Championships to 24 teams Platini pointed to aiding the development of football is the less glamorous countries.

“Why is rugby popular in Wales and Scotland and Ireland?” asked Platini. “Because they can win grand slams, they can win Test matches, they can win.

“Now in football they will never win the World Cup, but it is a long time since they participated in the finals, so I have to expand to help the development of football in these countries.”

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

164730_thumb.jpg

Chelsea's John Terry will not step down as England captain - report
The Three Lions skipper has come under intense pressure after being charged for racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand, but is adamant he is not guilty and is standing firm

164730_thumb.jpg

'Why John Terry must stand down now as England captain' - MP Damian Collins
The Member of Parliament is adamant the Chelsea centre-back must step down as Three Lions skipper after being charged of racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand

164729_thumb.jpg

Chelsea's John Terry to stand trial for allegedly racially abusing Anton Ferdinand after Euro 2012 on July 9
The England captain did not attend the hearing, where his lawyer entered a not guilty plea on his behalf, but the case will not be decided until after Poland and Ukraine

153358_thumb.jpg

Portugal coach Paulo Bento: Our goal is to reach the Euro 2012 quarter-finals
The 42-year-old believes that his side can make it through the so called 'group of death' and says he has not yet decided his final squad for Poland and Ukraine.

145868_thumb.jpg

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger backs Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to challenge for England place ahead of Euro 2012
The Frenchman believes a call-up ahead of the tournament cannot be ruled out and says the Gunners' faith in youth was a factor in the 18-year-old's decision to move to the club

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Why John Terry must stand down now as England captain' - MP Damian Collins

The Member of Parliament is adamant the Chelsea centre-back must step down as Three Lions skipper after being charged of racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand

Feb 2, 2012 1:42:00 PM

164730hp2.jpg

By Damian Collins

It is time for John Terry to do the right thing - stand aside as England captain.

By wearing the armband, Terry has a public position. He represents football in this country and is a person that people will look up to.

But his standing as a role-model has been compromised by the charges that he faces of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand, and for the good of the team he should stand aside as captain until he can clear his name.

Of course, we must not presume he is guilty. If successful in the court case, which will take place after Euro 2012, he should of course be reinstated in the team - while if he is found guilty, the Football Association need to consider what sanction there should be.

In the meantime, he couldn’t possibly continue in the side with this hanging over him.

It is time for the FA to be decisive. They must act very, very quickly about both the captaincy and also his eligibility to play.

Should Terry continue as a member of a multicultural national team such as England? Well that is something the manager has to consider carefully, thinking about the balance of the squad and what the views of his team-mates will be.

The Reading striker and BBC pundit Jason Roberts has tweeted saying Terry should not even be in the England team as he believes his presence will be ‘toxic’. This is a very important point and one that Fabio Capello must take on board.

Nevertheless, I don’t think it would be appropriate for him to be captain whilst he is facing such a serious charge.

He is a leading figure in the game and I believe his position has to be beyond reproach, and I don’t think that is possible while these charges are hanging over him.
"Terry couldn't possibly continue in the side with this court case hanging over him."
- Damian Collins
165716_hp.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>
Frankly it is appalling that the court case isn’t being heard until July and this due to the judicial process being held up by the football calendar.

These are very serious charges and we simply cannot have a position where a charge like this can be made but nothing at all is done, under the pretence that it hasn’t happened until after the court case.

That isn’t tenable at all. Some action has to be taken in the short term and I think being removed as captain would be the appropriate action.

The world’s gaze is always on the England football team due to the high profile of these footballers. But at Euro 2012 this will be even more magnified. The captain of the team is its ambassador. The embodiment of the team’s values.

In England we were rightly appalled by Sepp Blatter’s remarks that racist abuse on the pitch can be settled with a handshake. Now the issue of racism is on our doorstep and centres around one of the prominent footballers in this country. We will look hypocrites if we do nothing about this.

This can be a defining moment for English football. If John Terry won’t give up the armband then the FA must take it from him.

It is, I believe, the right thing to do.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA strip Chelsea's John Terry of England captaincy

The 31-year-old has been removed from the post for the second time in his career after allegations of racial abuse directed at QPR defender Anton Ferdinand

Feb 3, 2012 11:20:21 AM

164730hp2.jpg
By Rob Stewart

John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy by Football Association officials due to concerns about his impending trial over racism allegations.

The Chelsea defender has been told that he will not skipper the national side as Euro 2012 looms as he fights to clear his name in a racism trial that will take place in the summer, although he will still be eligible for selection.

Officials at the FA are refusing to confirm the move but it is believed FA chairman David Bernstein broke the news to Terry in a 10am phone call after speaking with every member of the 14-strong board after confirmation the 31-year-old's court case will take place from July 9 - after Euro 2012.

Terry suffered the indignity of losing the captaincy after the majority of the FA board decided that he should quit the position over allegations that he racially abused QPR's Anton Ferdinand, a charge which he denies.

An official FA statement reads: "Following the decision to adjourn the court case against John Terry to July, The Football Association confirm he will not captain the England team until the allegations against him are resolved.
"The FA Board expected the trial to be concluded prior to the European Championship. Further to Wednesday’s confirmation that the trial will not take place until after the tournament, the Board has discussed the matter in detail and has collectively decided it is in the interests of all parties that John has the responsibilities of captaincy removed at this time.

"This decision has been taken due to the higher profile nature of the England captaincy, on and off the pitch, and the additional demands and requirements expected of the captain leading into and during a tournament."

This decision in no way infers any suggestion of guilt in relation to the charge made against John Terry. The FA will be not be making any further comment on this matter. It is the second time the Chelsea centre-half has been stripped of the England armband as he also lost the role two years ago amid allegations over his private life, althought the FA also confirmed that the defender will still be eligible for selection.

"The FA Board can confirm that he has not been excluded from the squad and that Fabio Capello is free to select him for the Holland fixture on 29 February and the European Championship.
"FA Chairman David Bernstein has spoken to both John Terry and Fabio Capello to explain the facts to them. Fabio Capello has not been involved in The FA Board discussions which reached this conclusion, but understands that The FA Board has authority to make this decision.

"Fabio Capello will take the decision as to who will be made captain moving forward."

The FA decided that it was inappropriate for Terry to remain as a figurehead for the country due to the seriousness of the allegations that are hanging over him currently and have acted with urgency to resolve the situation. Action was taken after concern was expressed about the FA’s ability to take the moral high ground should racism rear its head at Euro 2012 if Terry remained the team’s figurehead.

The FA’s next board meeting is not due to take place until February 23 but Bernstein has expedited the matter, as pressure on the game’s governing body to act intensified following Terry’s not-guilty plea before magistrates on Wednesday. Terry's barrister entered the formal not guilty plea at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

England manager Fabio Capello had insisted that Terry should be regarded as innocent until proven guilty and he wanted to make the decision but the FA board have taken the matter out of the Italian’s hands. A spokesman for the player was unavailable for comment on Friday morning.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

France want Arsene Wenger to take over from Laurent Blanc as coach after Euro 2012 - report

The former Bordeaux boss' current contract expires after the tournament in Poland and Ukraine and the Arsenal manager has reportedly been identified as the best successor

Feb 5, 2012 11:42:00 AM

143083hp2.jpg
France Football Federation (FFF) president Noel La Graet has reportedly decided to part company with coach Laurent Blanc after Euro 2012 and identified Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger as the man to take over.

Blanc's contract expires after the tournament and the former Bordeaux boss has stated that he would like his future sorted out before the summer.

However, according to Le JDD, La Graet has already decided against offering the current coach a new deal and has lined the Gunners veteran up as his successor.

The publication claims that La Graet has become concerned by Blanc's independence as well as the size and cost of the coach's backroom team.

La Graet had previously claimed that Blanc's future was dependent upon how France fared in Euro 2012.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Fabio Capello should name Steven Gerrard as new England captain,' says Graham Taylor

Former Three Lions boss backs the decision to remove John Terry from the role and feels the Chelsea defender will be 'upset' and 'let down' by the FA

Feb 4, 2012 4:25:00 PM

By John Stammers

163789hp2.jpg
Former England boss Graham Taylor has revealed that he thinks Fabio Capello will makeSteven Gerrard the national side's new captain, adding that the Liverpool midfielder would be his choice if he returns to form.

The FA announced on Friday that John Terry had been stripped of the armband, as he awaits trial over charges of racial abuse, and Taylor admitted that he thought the correct decision had been made.

He told BBC Sport: "[Steven] Gerrard's been captain before and I'd expect [England boss Fabio] Capello to give it to him.

"If he gets his top-class form back, I think I would do the same.

"This is the correct decision. The FA have got it right, though they'll be accused of getting it wrong.

"It's a recognition of the embarrassment that could be caused both for [John] Terry and the England team.

"Terry will feel let down by the FA. He will feel upset because he's made it very clear that he could handle the situation.

"Playing on the football pitch is an escape for him.

"But they have taken the captaincy away so he will not be put into public positions as he would have been had he been captain. I think that helps him."

Gerrard has taken on the role before, as a trial when Capello first took control in 2008 and with Rio Ferdinand ruling himself out of the running, the Liverpool midfielder is the favourite to replace Terry.

Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart and Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker have also been tipped as possible choices, but Taylor, who also had two spells as Aston Villa boss, does not see them as viable options.

He continued: "While I understand that argument about keepers being captains because they can see the whole pitch, I'm still not a lover of it.

"He's sometimes too far away from people to really make his influence felt.

"[Scott] Parker has done extremely well. Whether he would be able to accept the captaincy at that level I don't know. I don't know him well enough."

The 67-year-old concluded that he was disappointed manager Fabio Capello had not been involved in the events, hinting that he expected the Italian might not have agreed with the decision.

He said: "I would have liked to have heard that [Fabio] Capello was involved, or had at least been told before it became public.

"Having brought him back as captain I can imagine Fabio would have seen it as very difficult to pull him out."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

166226_thumb.jpg

Arsenal youngster Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain set for England call-up and Euro 2012 audition - report
The 18-year-old is thought to be in Fabio Capello's plans after impressing for the Gunners and getting his first league goals for the north London club against Blackburn Rovers

101796_thumb.jpg

Fabio Capello and John Terry look destined to make it to Euro 2012 despite recent controversy
Both Fabio Capello and John Terry have grabbed the headlines for the wrong reasons in the last week but the pair are still odds on to take their places at Euro 2012

161067_thumb.jpg

Remi Garde: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger would be a good coach for France
The current Olympique Lyonnais trainer has voiced his opinion that the experienced Gunners manager would be a good replacement for Laurent Blanc at Les Bleus

164877_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Sir Alex Ferguson backs England boss Fabio Capello in John Terry row
The Red Devils boss believes the Italian has a right to give his opinion on the Three Lions captaincy, insisting that managers are the most important people in a team

146729_thumb.jpg

Zenit St Petersburg's Danny out for eight months with knee injury
The Portuguese attacker is bound for a lengthy lay-off after sustaining a serious knee problem and will miss this summer's showpiece event in Poland and Ukraine

156587_thumb.jpg

Former FA boss claims Fabio Capello may have breached his contract by criticising decision to strip John Terry of captaincy
The Italian coach stated his disagreement with the FA over the decision to remove the armband from the defender but it has now been suggested he may have overstepped the mark

101796_thumb.jpg

Fabio Capello blasts FA decision to remove England captaincy from John Terry
The Italian believes the move should have been made after the Chelsea defender's trial, which starts on July 9, had been concluded

154175_thumb.jpg

Gary Neville brands the FA 'inconsistent' & 'half-hearted' following decision to strip John Terry of England captaincy
Ex-Three Lions defender aims a swipe at the Football Association for taking the armband away from the Chelsea centre-half, insisting that they are 'bowing to media pressure'

143083_thumb.jpg

France want Arsene Wenger to take over from Laurent Blanc as coach after Euro 2012 - report
The former Bordeaux boss' current contract expires after the tournament in Poland and Ukraine and the Arsenal manager has reportedly been identified as the best successor

152174_thumb.jpg

AC Milan's Antonio Cassano will not return this season, claims neurosurgeon
The 29-year-old Italy international has been out of action since November after undergoing heart surgery and talk that he might make a comeback in April seems wide of the mark

160569_thumb.jpg

Germany coach Joachim Low at odds with Bayern Munich over Netherlands friendly
The Bavarian club are set to take on the Dutch national side in an exhibition match that may interfere with the 51-year-old's preparations for Euro 2012

155244_thumb.jpg

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand rules himself out of running to replace John Terry as England captain
Former England skipper not interested in resuming the role after Chelsea skipper is removed from the national post after accusation of racism towards Anton Ferdinand

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

138488_thumb.jpg

Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere turns to technology in order to aid ankle injury recovery
The midfielder tweeted a picture of himself using a bone-healing machine as he looks to get over his stress fracture and make a late bid for Fabio Capello's Euro 2012 squad

155244_thumb.jpg

Rio Ferdinand admits John Terry race row has been 'frustrating' but insists it has not affected his desire to play for England
The defender is adamant he still wants to participate in Euro 2012 this summer, while Sir Alex Ferguson and Andre Villa-Boas have backed Fabio Capello's right to voice his opinion

163554_thumb.jpg

Barcelona striker David Villa optimistic about featuring at Euro 2012
The Spain international sustained a fractured leg during the Club World Cup in December, but is hopeful of returning to match action before this summer's Euros

153526_thumb.jpg

Italy coach Cesare Prandelli: Door is open for Antonio Di Natale & Francesco Totti
The veteran duo remain key figures at Udinese and Roma respectively and there have been mounting calls for them to be recalled by the Azzurri boss

123718_thumb.jpg

Brad Friedel backs Tottenham team-mate Scott Parker for England captaincy after John Terry axe
The experienced shot-stopper believes his White Hart Lane colleague’s superb behaviour on and off the pitch make him the ideal candidate to wear the captains armband

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

143168_thumb.jpg

'Surely we will stick to an Englishman as our next manager' - Joey Barton, Jack Wilshere, Michael Owen & more react to Fabio Capello's resignation as England boss
Following the shock resignation of the Italian manager on Wednesday evening, a number of Premier League stars have taken to Twitter to give their reaction to the news

144229_thumb.jpg

Joey Barton on Fabio Capello's England resignation: 'No captain and no manager four months before a major championship - what's going on'
The QPR midfielder is shocked at the national team's preparation for Euro 2012 with the Three Lions now without a leader off the pitch, as well as a skipper on it

133367_thumb.jpg

Arsenal's Jack Wilshere 'shocked' & 'gutted' at Fabio Capello's resignation as England manager
The Gunners midfielder was given his debut for the national team by the former Real Madrid boss and is extremely disappointed the Italian has decided to end his tenure

143168_thumb.jpg

Fabio Capello resigns as England manager
The Italian has stepped down after falling out with the Football Association over their decision to strip Chelsea defender John Terry of the Three Lions captaincy

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Capello walks out on England

9 February 2012

12427333890.jpg

England's Euro 2012 campaign is in disarray after manager Fabio Capello resigned with immediate effect on Wednesday.

Capello stepped down after meeting with Football Association chairman David Bernstein and general secretary Alex Horne to discuss the decision to remove John Terry as England captain, after the Chelsea defender was accused of racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

The Italian had publicly expressed his disapproval of the FA's decision, and made comments saying he still considered Terry as his captain.
Clearly Capello could not see eye to eye with the FA over the issue though, and chose to resign his post with Euro 2012 just four months away.

"I would like to stress that during today’s meeting and throughout his time as England Manager, Fabio has conducted himself in an extremely professional manner," Bernstein said.
"We have accepted Fabio’s resignation, agreeing this is the right decision. We would like to thank Fabio for his work with the England team and wish him every success in the future."

It leaves the England camp in chaos leading into a major tournament yet again, after internal issues involving Capello and senior players plagued the Three Lions 2010 World Cup campaign in South Africa.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has long been touted as the man to succeed Capello when he eventually stepped down, which was previously expected to be after Euro 2012, although former Russia and Turkey boss Guus Hiddink could also be in the frame to take the reins in for the tournament in Poland and Ukraine.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

127084_thumb.jpg

Fulvio Collovati applauds Capello's decision to leave England post
The retired defender thinks that Capello made the right choice and hinted at a Serie A spell for the now-unemployed Italian coach

167044_thumb.jpg

'English people believe they are the masters of football', ex-Milan defender Stefano Nava slams FA for Capello resignation
The retired defender believes that the FA was at fault in this case and says that the Three Lions will miss the Italian coach

167004_thumb.jpg

Fabio Capello has gone because he couldn't care less about public perception while the FA sways in the wind
The governing body played the populist game and lost a manager who still had English football's best interests at heart but would not accept responsibility without command

143182_thumb.jpg

England did not make a mistake in appointing Fabio Capello, insists FA chairman David Bernstein
The head of English football's governing body praised the achievements of the Italian in charge of national side and is adamant there are no regrets over choosing him

162604_thumb.jpg

FA chairman David Bernstein says an English manager would be preferred to succeed Fabio Capello
The head of England's football governing body says the organisation will move quickly to make an appointment but did not rule out another foreign boss

112543_thumb.jpg

Stuart Pearce placed in charge of England for Netherlands friendly in February
The Under-21 boss will take temporary charge of the national side as the search for Fabio Capello's successor begins, with David Bernstein insisting the FA will not be rushed

128408_thumb.jpg

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew rules himself out of the running to replace Fabio Capello as England coach
The 50-year-old reaffirmed his commitment to the Tyneside club but admits he would like to see the job go to an Englishman, hoping a deal can be agreed to appoint Harry Redknapp

167029_thumb.jpg

Favourite for England manager's job Harry Redknapp insists his focus is on Tottenham
The 64-year-old claims he is concentrating only on Spurs' fixture against Newcastle United on Saturday and says he is looking forward to the future at White Hart Lane

98710_thumb.jpg

'We don't need anything else lost in translation' - Rio Ferdinand backs Harry Redknapp to become the next England coach
The defender hinted that the language barrier had been an issue during Fabio Capello's spell in charge, joining teammate Wayne Rooney in his backing of the Tottenham boss

125881_thumb.jpg

Wayne Rooney 'should keep his nose out' of England manager debate, says former Manchester United captain Roy Keane
The striker "didn't do enough on the pitch" under Fabio Capello according to the Irishman, who added that he admires the outgoing national team coach for sticking to his guns

15220_thumb.jpg

England legend Paul Gascoigne backs 'unbelievable' Terry Venables to replace Fabio Capello
The 44-year-old has put forward the former national team boss as a possible candidate to take over the reins, but hastens to add that Harry Redknapp is the obvious choice

148237_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney wants Harry Redknapp to replace Fabio Capello as England manager
The striker expressed his disappointment at the Italian's decision to resign, insisting he is a "good guy and top coach", but immediately put his backing behind the Tottenham boss

149917_thumb.jpg

'I have said nothing and I will say nothing' - Fabio Capello reacts to England resignation
The Italian was quoted in his homeland criticising the FA, but he has since come forward and distanced himself from the reports, suggesting they were fabricated

155104_thumb.jpg

Tottenham braced for approach from England for Harry Redknapp but desperate to hang on to manager until end of the season
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy set for urgent talks in an attempt to convince Redknapp to stay at White Hart Lane following Fabio Capello's resignation as England manager

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

148980_thumb.jpg

Fabio Capello denies he 'escaped' England & puts exit down to a 'misunderstanding'
Italian denied he fled the country following his shock decision to quit on Wednesday and also refutes claims he is set to return to Italy and management in Serie A

141666_thumb.jpg

‘Harry Redknapp is best man for England’ - Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson heralds Tottenham manager as favourite
The Old Trafford coach, who managed Scotland himself in the 1980s, admitted it is a difficult task to lead your country but the he believes the former Portsmouth boss can succeed

158898_thumb.jpg

Vicente del Bosque: Fernando Torres knows what he must do to make Spain’s Euro 2012 squad
The former Real Madrid manager says that the Chelsea striker must work hard to be assured of a place in his squad and remains coy on the chances of Roberto Soldado being called up

164747_thumb.jpg

'The FA need the one with the best Premier League record' - Kenny Dalglish hints at Sir Alex Ferguson for England job
The Reds boss believes that his Old Trafford counterpart and fellow Glaswegian should be considered by the FA after almost two decades of Premier League near-domination

164218_thumb.jpg

Should Juventus' Emanuele Giaccherini be called up for Italy's Euro 2012 squad?
Goal.com asks for your opinion on whether the former Cesena man is ready to play for the national team at the high-profile tournament in June

167004_thumb.jpg

Fabio Capello has gone because he couldn't care less about public perception while the FA sways in the wind
The governing body played the populist game and lost a manager who still had English football's best interests at heart but would not accept responsibility without command

162886_thumb.jpg

"Daniel's best position is a central striker" - Sturridge's father feels attacker's talents are being wasted on the wing
The striker has scored ten goals this season for the Stamford Bridge outfit and made his debut for the England senior team in a friendly win over Sweden

162268_thumb.jpg

Vicente del Bosque to retire when he leaves Spain coaching job
The national team boss has made it clear that he is unlikely to accept another coaching job when he leaves the world champions and dismissed reports he wants a Madrid return

156513_thumb.jpg

Patrick Kluivert: Twente's Luuk de Jong is the next Netherlands No. 9
The former Barcelona striker says that the 21-year-old is getting good guidance at his current club and is on his way to becoming a star

148605_thumb.jpg

Roberto Carlos claims FA 'broke a rule' if they failed to consult Fabio Capello prior to taking England captaincy from John Terry
The Brazilian, who played under the Italian coach at Real Madrid, also claims the managerial switch could hamper the Three Lions chances at Euro 2012 in the summer

101796_thumb.jpg

England's most prolific post-war manager & still a legend - Fabio Capello made some mistakes but remains one of the greats of the game
After tasting success wherever he had gone previously, the coach will look upon his time at Wembley as an incomplete job rather than a complete failure

157370_thumb.jpg

'Capello leaving three months before Euro 2012 is a serious issue, but England are still candidates to win it,' says Van Nistelrooy
The Dutch striker admitted that Capello's departure is a heavy blow to the Three Lions but insisted that they remain one of the frontrunners to win the summer showpiece event

137513_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa's Shay Given backs Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart for England captaincy
The Irishman uses Dino Zoff and Iker Casillas as examples to show that goalkeeping captains can be successful and sees no reason why his former team-mate cannot take the role on

161613_thumb.jpg

Paolo Di Canio: Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp would get the best out of England's players & would have the support of 90% of the country
The Italian believes his former manager at West Ham is the leading candidate to replace Fabio Capello, who he feels was right to resign after the dispute over the captaincy

116608_thumb.jpg

Former FA chairman Lord Triesman believes current regime were right to accept Fabio Capello resignation
The former FA chairman believed it was impossible not to accept his resignation after the disagreement over the sacking of Chelsea defender John Terry as captain

159941_thumb.jpg

Fabio Cannavaro not surprised by Fabio Capello's decision to resign as England manager
The 38-year-old was managed at club level by Capello at Juventus and Real Madrid and admits he was "not astonished at all" to see him quit because he likes total control

160819_thumb.jpg

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger believes 'English manager is a must' as FA being search to fill national team vacancy
Gunners maestro sympathises with Capello by stating that he alone should have decided on international captaincy

149129_thumb.jpg

Guus Hiddink 'not expecting' approach to become England manager, reveals agent
Dutch coach has a wealth of experience in international management and enjoyed a brief stint Stamford Bridge, winning the FA Cup during his three months in charge