• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Euro 2012 Qualifiers

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Loew backs Ballack to return to Germany colours

Wednesday 12th October 2011

688850_33_preview.jpg

Cassano: I'll quit in three years

AC Milan striker Antonio Cassano fired Italy to victory in their last Euro 2012 qualifier and then declared his intention to retire after the 2014 World Cup.

Group C: Italy 3-0 Northern Ireland

The 29-year-old scored twice as Italy easily beat Northern Ireland 3-0 to end their Group C campaign unbeaten.

Cassano has played an important role in Italy's qualifying campaign and it took him just 21 minutes to open the scoring against Nigel Worthington's men. A cheeky through ball from Daniele De Rossi played Cassano in and he let the ball drop over his right shoulder before volleying home from eight yards.

His second goal on 53 minutes was equally impressive as he drilled the ball into the net from 20 yards out.

"I've been in the national team for 10 years but I've only got 25 caps," the AC Milan player told Rai Sport. "I'm always in and out (of the national team)." Cassano told Rai Sport.

"I feel fine, now I want to continue in the Italy team. Three years, I want to have three great seasons. Then I can stop.

"I want three more good years and then that's it because if I continue beyond that, it will become a routine and routine stresses me."

"I think I will play football for only that time, have a good Euro 2012 finals and a good World Cup, then at the age of 33 call it a day so I can enjoy my family,

"After the 2014 World Cup? That is my idea, I want to leave when the time is right. "

Cassano also thanked Italy coach Cesare Prandelli for standing by him after an incident earlier in the qualifying campaign which saw the AC Milan forward heavily criticised for insulting a journalist.

"I have to thank Prandelli, he gave me a helping hand when I had everyone against me. I am thankful to him," he said.

"Prandelli has given me so much confidence and told me he believed in me. He has been very close to me at the time when I was struggling.

"He has also helped me to get off to a good start with Milan this season. We have a fantastic rapport, a special one, and I want to thank him for that."

"When I retire, you [the media] can have fun with Mario Balotelli. He is another good character for you."

Italy added a third and final goal against Northern Ireland through a Conor McLaughlin own-goal.

Italy finished their qualifying campaign top of C with 26 points from 10 games.

Last edited:

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

688796_33_preview.jpg

Van Marwijk bemoans sloppy defeat

Holland coach Bert van Marwijk believes his team threw away a winning position against Sweden as their perfect Euro 2012 qualifying record came to an end.

After nine wins, Holland slumped to a 3-2 defeat in Solna which allowed Sweden to qualify as the best of the group runners-up, alongside the Dutch.

Kim Kallstrom fired Sweden into a 14th-minute lead, but the game turned on its head when Klaas Jan Huntelaar levelled and Dirk Kuyt fired the Dutch in front after 50 minutes.

But Sweden fought back strongly, Sebastian Larsson making it 2-2 with a penalty two minutes later and Ola Toivonen adding another goal 60 seconds later.

"We were lord and master," Van Marwijk said. "But we gave three goals away. That's really the whole story."

He added: "I thought we were much better than the opponents."

Van Marwijk recognised that errors slipped into Holland's play.

"We should analyse calmly," he said. "But what I can say is that we defended sloppily at times."

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Germany can win Euro or World Cup - Loew

689073_33_preview.jpg

Stankovic quits international football

Inter Milan midfielder Dejan Stankovic has announced his retirement from international football with Serbia.

The 33-year-old confirmed his decision after Tuesday night's 1-0 defeat away to Slovenia which ended Serbia's hopes of Euro 2012 qualification as they finished third in Group C behind Italy and Slovenia.

"It was my last game for my country," Stankovic said in Corriere dello Sport. "I was waiting for my farewell encounter and this was it.

"I've played in many matches, I've helped the team and I think now is the time to just think about Inter.

"There are younger players than me who need to start preparing for the World Cup campaign in Brazil.

"It's time for a generation change, it's time to leave some space for the youngsters."

Stankovic made his senior debut in 1998 and has scored 15 goals in 102 appearances for Serbia.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

687036_33_preview.jpg

Rooney at risk of three-match ban

England striker Wayne Rooney should receive a three-match ban for violent conduct on Thursday if UEFA's disciplinary regulations are followed to the letter.

UEFA's control and disciplinary body will rule on the Rooney's suspension for his red card against Montenegro and there are real fears he could miss all of England's three group matches in the Euro 2012 finals next summer.

The Manchester United man was shown a straight red by referee Wolfgang Stark for kicking Miodrag Dzudovic.

The European body's disciplinary regulations article 10(e) state the "suspension for three competition matches or for a specified period for assaulting another player or other person present at the match".

Serious assaults warrant a five-match ban, say the regulations, but the Football Association have submitted a dossier to the disciplinary body pleading for leniency.

Senior UEFA figures, both with long experience of the disciplinary process, say Rooney's best hope looks to be escaping with a two-match ban.

In 2004, Chelsea's Marcel Desailly was initially handed a three-match ban for elbowing Monaco's Fernando Morientes but that was reduced on appeal to two games after UEFA said the act was not deliberate, and taking into account his good record.

Andrei Arshavin was also given a two-match ban and missed Russia' first two games of Euro 2008 after being sent off against Andorra, but television evidence was less clear-cut than in Rooney's case.

Rooney has not been sent off in any European competition for six years and it is likely the FA would appeal were he to be given a three-game suspension.

Any hope of a one-match ban looks highly unlikely, according to the UEFA sources, who say disciplinary chiefs would be wary of setting a precedent of giving a lenient punishment for violent conduct, when dismissals for two bookings or denying a goalscoring opportunity carry one-match bans.

Meanwhile, England will not face any action from UEFA over reports of racist chanting by their fans in Sofia during the Euro 2012 qualifier against Bulgaria.

Charges against Bulgaria for racist chanting against Ashley Young will be heard by UEFA on November 17.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

688856_33_preview.jpg

Euro 2012 Draws: How they work

There will be a seed system in place for Thursday's Euro 2012 play-off draw - one which will feature the Republic of Ireland.

Seeds announced for Euro play-off draw

The four teams ranked highest in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system will be seeded and then drawn against the non-seeds at the ceremony which takes place at 1200 BST in Krakow.

The ranking system takes into account performances in Euro 2012 qualification, the 2010 World Cup (finals and qualification) and Euro 2008 (finals and qualification), giving twice as much weight to the first two named tournaments.

The most recent rankings of the eight teams who have qualified for the play-offs are as follows:

Croatia 6

Portugal 8

Czech Republic 14

Turkey 17

Republic of Ireland 19

Bosnia-Herzegovina 20

Montenegro 30

Estonia 38

However, UEFA will publish a new list on Wednesday, taking this month's qualifying games into account, so the Irish could yet be seeded, particularly given they won both of their final qualifiers.

All the seeded teams will play the away leg first and the away-goals rule will be in force.

The first legs will take place on either November 11 or 12, with the second legs on November 15.

The finals draw itself, which takes place in Kiev at 1700 GMT on December 2, will see the 16 qualifiers placed into four pots of four.

Three of the four seeds, who will make up the first pot, are already known. Poland will be in Group A, with their co-hosts Ukraine in Group D. As defending champions, Spain will also be seeded.

The other seeded team will be the one highest in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system. As the rankings stand, that would be the Netherlands, but as already indicated, the list will be updated before December's draw.

The remaining teams will be divided into pots using the coefficient ranking. England are currently fifth in the list so are on course to be in the second pot.

The finals get under way on June 8 next year with the final on July 1. Matches at the event will kick-off at 1700 and 1945 BST.

Finals qualifiers:

Hosts: Poland, Ukraine

Group winners: Denmark, England, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Russia, Spain

Best runner-up: Sweden

Play-off winners: Four from Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Montenegro, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Turkey.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

601203_33_preview.jpg

Seeds announced for Euro play-off draw

The Republic of Ireland, Portugal, Croatia and the Czech Republic will be the seeded teams in Friday's draw for the Euro 2012 play-offs, UEFA have announced.

Euro 2012 Draws: How they work

The four teams were chosen based on their FIFA national team coefficients ahead of the draw that will take place in Krakow.

The seeding means that all four teams will not face each other, but will go up against either of the four unseeded teams: Turkey, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Estonia or Montenegro.

The first leg of the play-offs will be played on November 11 and 12, with the return legs on November 15.

Already through to the finals, alongside co-hosts Poland and Ukraine, are holders Spain, Germany, Russia, Italy, France, Holland, Greece, England, Denmark and Sweden.

The finals draw is on December 2 in Kiev and the tournament runs from June 8 until July 1 next year at eight venues.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

689365_10_preview.jpg

Begovic eyeing Portugal upset

Goalkeeper Asmir Begovic accepts Bosnia-Herzegovina will have to pull off an upset to qualify for Euro 2012.

703444_10_preview.jpg
Plenty to occupy WAGs in Krakow
England's WAGs will have plenty to occupy themselves in Krakow if they decide to head out to Euro 2012 next summer.

703433_10_preview.jpg
Walters ready for playoff bid
Jonathan Walters is ready to step into the breech to help fire the Republic of Ireland into the Euro 2012 finals.

688939_10_preview.jpg
Trapattoni warns against complacency
Giovanni Trapattoni has warned his Republic of Ireland players they can take nothing for granted as they prepare for their Euro 2012 showdown with Estonia.

664163_10_preview.jpg
Best to sit out of Ireland game
Newcastle striker Leon Best will miss the first leg of the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 qualifier against Estonia as he awaits the birth of his first child.

703356_10_preview.jpg
FA: No WAGs problem in Poland
The Football Association are adamant there will be no repeat of the WAGS debacle at the 2006 World Cup when England land in Krakow for their Euro 2012 campaign next summer.

703304_10_preview.jpg
Portugal ready for Bosnian challenge
Portugal will play to win when they meet Bosnia-Herzegovina in the first leg of their Euro 2012 play-off on Friday night, according to goalkeeper Rui Patricio.

690054_10_preview.jpg
Best a major doubt for Rep of Ireland
Newcastle striker Leon Best is a major doubt for the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 play-off against Estonia.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Giovinco latest absentee for Italy

8 November 2011

12427284420.jpg

Sebastian Giovinco has withdrawn from the Italy squad with a muscular problem, coach Cesare Prandelli has confirmed.The 24-year-old forward sustained a muscular strain in Parma's 1-0 Serie A defeat to Lazio on Sunday and has been sent home from Italy's base at Coverciano.

Tests with the Azzurri's medical staff on Monday confirmed Giovinco would not be able to take any part in friendlies against Poland on Friday or Uruguay next Tuesday.
"Giovinco is not well and so he has gone home, but we have Simone Pepe who can allow us to change things tactically," Prandelli said.

AC Milan's Antonio Cassano joins Giovinco on the sidelines as he recovers from recent heart surgery, while Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi is also a long-term absentee having undergone an operation on his knee.

Prandelli is prepared to cope and suggested there could be some changes to the team in light of those absences, though he made special mention of Cassano.
"I'd like to give special greetings to Antonio Cassano.

I've met him the other day and he said me to greet you all. Really, I'm not joking," he said.
"This is the news and it means he is doing well and is already missing playing. He was very serene and already motivated.

I just wanted to say that we miss him. We have realized that there was a particular atmosphere here and we wanted to hug him from Coverciano."
"Something will change because of the absences. After I spoke to Cassano just days ago I decided I would have to change things."

"We cannot look for players with the qualities of Cassano and Rossi, and so we will have to take a new path while they are away."
"However, all the players I have here at my disposal can play together without any problems.

"
Mario Balotelli has been in hot form for English Premier League club Manchester City, and Prandelli expects the striker to live up to expectations once again."He has a chance to show all of his qualities, but I do not want to put too much responsibility upon him," Prandelli said.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

All mental for Trapattoni

8 November 2011

12427284460.jpg

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni believes players with 'international mentality' will be crucial in the Euro 2012 playoffs.

The first leg of Ireland's playoff with Estonia takes place in Tallinn on Friday, and Trapattoni has been bolstered by the news Los Angeles Galaxy striker Robbie Keane will join up with the squad in the coming days.

Republic of Ireland captain Keane scored in the Galaxy's win over Real Salt Lake in the Western Conference final in the MLS on Sunday.
He will be available to lead his country in Friday's first leg, with the return leg in Dublin next Tuesday.

"In this important game you need the players with great personality, players with an international mentality," Trapattoni said.

"Robbie (Keane) is not only our captain he has had 100 games in the national team. For this reason, it is important for me and us (to have him in the squad)."

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Double blow for Portugal

8 November 2011

12427284540.jpg
Portugal will be without midfielder Danny and defender Silvio for the two-legged Euro 2012 playoff with Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Zenit St Petersburg's Danny missed his club's 1-1 draw with Kuban Krasnodar in the Russian Premier League on Sunday with a sprained knee and is said to be far from full fitness, while Atletico Madrid right-back Silvio is still nursing a pubic bone injury.

Both players were absent from Portugal's most recent qualifiers against Iceland and Denmark in October and have been replaced in Paulo Bento's squad with two attack-minded midfielders.

The Portugal boss has called up Malaga winger Eliseu and PAOK midfielder Vieirinha for the do-or-die playoff.
Eliseu started Portugal's last two matches in the absence of Real Madrid Fabio Coentrao, while former Porto wide man Vieirinha has earned his first-ever call-up to the national squad.

The Euro 2004 runners-up will face Bosnia and Herzegovina in Zenica on November 11 before the home return leg at Lisbon's Estadio da Luz four days later.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gerrard sets semi-final target for England

8 November 2011

12427284600.jpg

England midfielder Steven Gerrard will treat Euro 2012 as his final international tournament and wants to reach at least the semi-final.

The 31-year-old believes this will be his last chance of playing in a competition for his country and is determined that it will not be a disappointing experience.

The Liverpool skipper has been a prominent fixture in the England squad over the past 11 years, but he acknowledges that his time could soon be up.

"If you put things into perspective, we've only been successful at one tournament ever and that makes you realise just how difficult it is to be successful at this level," he told The Mirror.

"Going into any tournament as a player, you always take it as your last because you never know what could happen two years down the line."

"But I'm 31, I'll be 32 by the time Euro 2012 comes around, so, ¬whatever happens, I'll be treating it as my last one."

"But it would be nice, if this is to be my last tournament, to get to a semi-final or a final rather than come away disappointed like we have been previously."

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bosingwa retires from Portugal team

8 November 2011

12427284660.jpg

Chelsea defender Jose Bosingwa has made it clear that he will not return to Portugal's national side while coach Paulo Bento is in charge.

Bosingwa was left out of the squad for the upcoming Euro 2012 play-offs against Bosnia and Herzegovina, while Bento questioned the right-back's attitude and mental strength.

But Bento's comments have not gone down well with the Chelsea full-back, who has now revealed be believes the 42-year-old is 'completely unsuited' to lead the national team.
"I don't know what he's talking about with his comments about my mentality and attitude.

I feel offended and disrespected by his remarks. I will never wear the Portugal jersey again as long as he's in charge," Bosingwa said.
"I am proud to say that I have a spotless record with the national team, unlike Bento.

His behaviour at Euro 2000 left much to be desired."
"It is public knowledge that he always has conflicts with players. He does not have the mental and emotional capacities to lead a group of men and is completely unsuited to lead the national team.

"
Bosingwa is the second Portugal player to retire from international football after Real Madrid defender Ricardo Carvalho recently withdrew his services due to a fall out with Bento.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Abidal available for Barca, France

8 November 2011

12427284640.jpg

Barcelona defender Eric Abidal is available for his side's Copa del Rey clash on Wednesday, despite international duty calling.

Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola will be able to use left-back Abidal against L'Hospitalet, despite his inclusion in the France squad for Friday's international friendly at home to the USA.

The 32-year-old was due to join up with his national side on Tuesday, but Guardiola approached France coach Laurent Blanc to ask permission to play Abidal in Wednesday's match away at the Estadio Municipal Feixa Llarga.

Blanc eventually agreed to the request, which has been confirmed on the official France Football Federation (FFF) website, and the former Lyon star will now travel to Paris on Thursday.

Barcelona made it to the final of the Cup competition last season, but Real Madrid claimed the title with a 1-0 extra-time win.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Playoff pitch a worry for Portugal

9 November 2011

12427285020.jpg

The Portuguese FA has issued a second criticism of the venue for the first leg of their Euro 2012 playoff with Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Representatives from the Portuguese FA had already launched a complaint to UEFA regarding the state of the turf at the Bilino Polje in Zenica.

The governing body for European football dismissed Portugal's request to have the match moved to a different stadium, stressing an expert had been hired to keep the turf in a good condition.

But after studying photos of the pitch, Portuguese FA sporting director Carlos Godinho has expressed further concerns about the state of the surface ahead of Friday's match.

"The turf is even worse than it was when it was first inspected, after the play-off draw," he told Lusa.
"We lament that UEFA did not do enough for the game to be played in the best conditions."

Following the first leg in Zenica, Bosnia visit Portugal for the return fixture at Lisbon's Estadio da Luz on November 15.

Portugal defeated Bosnia 2-0 on aggregate in a qualifying playoff to reach the 2010 World Cup, with a Raul Meireles goal securing a 1-0 victory for the visitors at the Bilino Polje in November 2009.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Carvalho urged toward Portugal return

9 November 2011

12427285220.jpg

Joao Pinto has urged Ricardo Carvalho to consider making a Portugal return as they prepare for their Euro 2012 playoff.

Real Madrid defender Carvalho retired from international football after Portugal manager Paulo Bento left him out of his squad for September's Euro 2012 qualifier against Cyprus.

Carvalho, 33, left the training camp after a falling out with the coach over his non-selection.
Chelsea right-back Jose Bosingwa has also said he will not return to play for Portugal as long as Bento remains at the helm.

But former international Pinto, who represented Portugal 81 times, said Carvalho should reconsider as Bento's men prepare for their two-legged playoff against Bosnia and Herzegovina.
"Ricardo had an unfortunate moment.

It's something that happened, and it's been blown out of proportion," Pinto said on Wednesday.
"It is what it is, an unfortunate situation. He and the federation need to sit down and talk to sort things out.

I would like him to come back and I think Portugal need him."
Portugal will need to contain Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko without two of their best defenders in Saturday's first leg in Zenica, and the return clash on Tuesday.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Euro 2012 preview: Ronaldo key for Portugal, Montenegro face Czech test

9 November 2011

12427285150.jpg

In what looms as the toughest of Euro 2012 playoff qualifiers on Friday, Bosnia-Herzegovina take on Portugal in the first leg in Zenica.

Bosnia were just 12 minutes away from clinching an automatic qualifying berth before Samir Nasir's late penalty for France in a 1-1 draw between the sides gave Les Bleus the edge in Group D.

Portugal suffered a similar fate, losing their right to automatic promotion following a shock 2-1 loss to Denmark in their final group-stage game.
Manager Paulo Bento has recalled Hugo Almeida, Fabio Coentrao and Pepe to the squad.

Jose Bosingwa is left out while Bosnia will be missing Mensur Mujdza through injury.
Manchester City target man Edin Dzeko holds the key for Bosnia while Cristiano Ronaldo, fresh from a fourth hat-trick this season in a 7-1 win against Osasuna in La Liga on Sunday, will be Portugal's go-to man once again.

The Czech Republic take on Montenegro for the first time with the first leg at Prague's Sparta Stadium.
Branko Boskovic is back from injury for Montenegro and manager Branko Brnovic will be eager for the 31-year-old DC United midfielder to play a part if he is up to it.

Marko Basa, however, will be out with a shoulder injury.
Tomas Rosicky will be back in midfield for the Czech Republic but manager Michel Bilek will be without midfielder Tomas Hubschman, who is suspended for both matches.

The Czech Republic has qualified for every European Championship since its inception in 1993 and will be favoured to do so again this time.
Croatia travel away to take on Turkey in this first leg of their playoff at Ataturk Stadium.

Croatia manager Slaven Bilic has called up Ivica Olic and Danijel Pranjic of Bayern Munich as Mladen Petric, Niko Kranjcar and Ivan Strinic are all injured.
Dinamo Zagreb skipper Mlan Badelj and striker Ivan Klasnic of Bolton Wanderers have been left out.

Strinic will be badly missed as this series is likely to go down to the wire with the two sides evenly matched.
Estonia kick off their playoff ties against Ireland at home at A. LeCoq Arena. Estonia took second place in Group C after Serbia lost to Slovenia 1-0, with Serbia finishing one point behind in third with 15 points.

Ireland clinched second place in Group B with 21 points after beating third-placed Armenia at home in their final game.

Mesut Özil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Klose backs Germany to win Euro 2012

11 November 2011

12427286250.jpg

Germany striker Miroslav Klose believes his side are well equipped to win Euro 2012, describing them as 'the strongest team in Europe'.

The Lazio forward, who will miss Friday's international friendly against next year's co-hosts Ukraine with a knee injury, is confident that Joachim Loew has put together the right mix of players who will ensure a formidable challenge next summer.

"This Germany is the strongest team in Europe," Klose said.
"We can win the European Championships next summer without any doubt."

Klose has been in sensational form in Serie A, helping his side join Udinese at the top of the league.

"I am having a splendid time at Lazio," said the 33-year-old, who moved to Italy from Bayern Munich in the summer.

The Germany international has scored six goals in 10 league matches this term for his new side.

Luis Suarez

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

15022986382f18f8325e945f1faf10251d409515.jpg

Euro 2012 playoff wrap: Advantage Croatia, Ireland

12 November 2011

12427286590.jpg

A clinical Croatia have hammered Turkey 3-0 in their Euro 2012 playoff first leg, while Republic of Ireland thrashed Estonia on Friday.Hosts Turkey saw the majority of possession in Istanbul, but goals from Ivica Olic, Mario Mandzukic and Vedran Corluka gave Slaven Bilic's side a stranglehold on the tie.

Olic tapped into an open net after Corluka's cut-back on two minutes, and Mandzukic doubled their advantage after half an hour when he headed in Luka Modric's floated cross.
Turkey failed to break down a solid Croatian defence and the visitors made it 3-0 when Corluka headed in Darijo Srna's free-kick from the right.

Meanwhile, Ireland secured a resounding 4-0 away win over nine-man Estonia in Tallinn.
Robbie Keane's brace, along with goals from Keith Andrews and Jonathan Walters, saw Giovanni Trapattoni's men take advantage of Andrei Stepanov and Raio Piiroja's red cards.

Energetic midfielder Andrews' header put them ahead on 13 minutes and Estonia's tough task was made more difficult when Stepanov picked up a second yellow card just after the half hour.
Walters - on his first start - made it 2-0 on 67 minutes when he nodded in Keane's pass, before the Los Angeles Galaxy forward got on the scoresheet himself with a tap-in.

Estonia captain Piiroja was shown a second yellow card soon after, before opposing skipper Keane wrapped up the win with a cool penalty in the 88th minute.

In other games, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Portugal played out a goalless draw in an uninspiring affair at Bilino Polje.
Portugal attacker Cristiano Ronaldo and Helder Postiga both squandered good chances, while Bosnia and Herzegovina substitute Vedad Ibisevic was the main culprit for the hosts.

The Czech Republic took the upper-hand in their tie against Montenegro after a 2-0 first-leg win in Prague.
Vaclav Pilar's brilliant 63rd-minute drive and a Tomas Sivok goal gave them an important victory at home.The second legs of each of the ties will be played on Tuesday.