• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Electrical Appliances in bunk during NS

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Train hard is ok but live comfortably is divine right. Why be so hard on oneself? Keat Hong Camp opposite main gate already got civilization. Gedong Camp until now ulu like hell. Maybe your time Gedong better than 90s as lim chu kang village aka Ama Keng still around. By the time I started reservist, even Neo Teo hdb dwellers also moved out.
Having appliances give better morale, pengkias more willing put some efforts into training. We not commandos and not willing to suffer like Guards/Commandos in field. SAF let us have moving 13tons weapon platform, we jolly well used it carry a iced Coleman cooler, gas operated stove, a battery operated FM radio and enough ntuc ration to last the exercise. The only combat rations we will bring along were 3in1, isotonic salts and hardtack. Hardtack to munch on when on the move. The rest will be left over in the bunk until somebody bring home let gf try.

*clap*clap*clap*clap*

Spoken like a true movie set soldier!

Yeah lah. What for right? As if Singapore would ever go to war? Imagine if you guys really had to fight war!!!! Need NTUC ration? Just tell the SAF go fuck off if they ever seriously ask you all to go fight.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no wonder 46 so soft. U all guniang there izzit? KNS, 40 at the most got one small radio in the bunk. Where got fridge and washing machines and TV? Wash clothes is hand wash. Most of the time, on regular units, the men can book out most nights. Where they got time to watch TV and boil kettle in their bunks. They just go to Bukit Timah Shopping Centre and eat and drink and watch what they want. Then book back in.
I 2nd that. Me amour too. How the fuck you get a washing machine in? Handheld or mini TVs would be smuggled in during World Cup period. Luxury would be a kettle and toaster at most. Once someone donated a waffle maker.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
so tough for what?

It is a wayang army

You all need to keep in character during the filming of the movie I guess.

You SIR personnel can skive there, its ok. There are so many men around, officers got runners who shine their boots and hold their lancheow when they pee. U come down to armour unit and u see whether there is any wayang or not. Small units like this got no where to hide, how to wayang? We are tip of the spear, wayang your asshole lah.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Not true Brigade ooficers are mostly henpecked husbands work 9 to 5 go back home type. With LKY CPIB, CID everywhere watching and catching cheaters who dares to be exposed as sex cheats.

My neighbor son was 1st batch ooficer Engineer Brigade CO goodboy type no sex cheats at camp. Stay away from camp girls or get caught kenna hendak kaki more so...

Please lah, Regimental officers like OCs, COs, CSM, RSM, Lts, etc are all musang kings. U think when they go up to Brigade, they become choir boys? If what u say is true about LKY, then Winston long ago would have gotten caught when he was a Major. The fucker used the SAF MDC like his own personal harem. He is the horniest fucker in the SAF, can't keep his lancheow in his pants.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Train hard is ok but live comfortably is divine right. Why be so hard on oneself? Keat Hong Camp opposite main gate already got civilization. Gedong Camp until now ulu like hell. Maybe your time Gedong better than 90s as lim chu kang village aka Ama Keng still around. By the time I started reservist, even Neo Teo hdb dwellers also moved out.
Having appliances give better morale, pengkias more willing put some efforts into training. We not commandos and not willing to suffer like Guards/Commandos in field. SAF let us have moving 13tons weapon platform, we jolly well used it carry a iced Coleman cooler, gas operated stove, a battery operated FM radio and enough ntuc ration to last the exercise. The only combat rations we will bring along were 3in1, isotonic salts and hardtack. Hardtack to munch on when on the move. The rest will be left over in the bunk until somebody bring home let gf try.

Yeah, I understand. When u have M113 drive you around the training area, then of course, your bunk life must also be similarly soft. Props to you. We don't have so lelac OC and CO allow us to have all these things in the bunk. I guess after Hsien Yang left, the place when to become a comfort house? Its not to say we don't let the men have their little fun. We always close a blind eye the night before field exercise when the men book out and come back with all their personal can food to hide in the tank. They eat that instead of c-rations in the field. So, we are not without a little creature comfort.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
I served my NS during the mid 90s in Gedong Camp. Was there for a total of about 18 months. Was posted there from BMTC after pop.(I not mono intake) The bunk started out with no appliances, then electrical kettle appeared, then small tv arrived and then flood gates opened. By the time battalion completed 2nd year ATEC, most platoons will minimum have a kettle, 14” TV, 2 doors fridge and high fi system. My platoon have one tv in each bunk. ( 1 section per bunk ) HQ platoon (84 teams + signalers + hq drivers) most fierce, have PC play PC games. Washing Machine was also brought in to supplement the coin operated machine because armour always come in contact with vehicle grease. While the occifers didn’t approve but they never stop us. CSM closed one eye. Even RSM also knew as he like to turn out the sergeants in their bunks at 0630hrs. So surely he see all the restricted appliances when he walked up to the sergeant bunk on the top floor.

My unit combat battalion so do other combat battalions did the same as us? Anyone brought in other types of appliances to make NS more bearable?

Nothing wrong with that mah. My bunk maxed out at tv and PlayStation, the PCs and Specs will come play during body maintenance time. Encik will come by and tell us to keep the noise down.

Maybe those in non-combat units will never fully understand. Yes we slack during lull periods, but outfield we take our shit seriously.

I remember when my unit was activated during 2 ntm, the tension was real when the ammo trucks came before dawn and we were all ready in the parade square. Definitely naive and innocent, we were barely 20 yrs young, but nonetheless all prepared to fire our weapons if called upon to do so. It's what we trained for. It was a night we would never forget.

Thankfully the story ends when the ammo trucks left, seals intact.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Nothing wrong with that mah. My bunk maxed out at tv and PlayStation, the PCs and Specs will come play during body maintenance time. Encik will come by and tell us to keep the noise down.

Maybe those in non-combat units will never fully understand. Yes we slack during lull periods, but outfield we take our shit seriously.

I remember when my unit was activated during 2 ntm, the tension was real when the ammo trucks came before dawn and we were all ready in the parade square. Definitely naive and innocent, we were barely 20 yrs young, but nonetheless all prepared to fire our weapons if called upon to do so. It's what we trained for. It was a night we would never forget.

Thankfully the story ends when the ammo trucks left, seals intact.

My time, my unit was standby armour unit during the MCA chief Tan Koon Swan trial. His supporters were on the streets of JB, threatened to go to the pumping station and cut water supply to sinkieland. That night, whole camp was lockdown, everyone's book out canceled and all personnel recalled. Then after midnight, whole camp was turned out. All tanks driven out to the parade square and 3 tonners went to pick up the live ammo from the dump. I can still remember one 3 tonner per platoon. All ready to load ammo. You can see the senior officers like CO, S1 to S4 all in a group at one end of the parade square waiting for Brigade to order load up. Once daylight came, then alert was cancelled and tanks driven back to the shed, and ammo trucks driven back to the dump and unloaded. That was a close one. I think the plan was to straight drive over to the causeway and shoot any fuckers coming over. LOL.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard that before. Like Trump, LKY was a better conman than Tan KS, neogitate behind close door better than fire a single bullet...

Very close call. Dont know he got cheat on his paper works...

My time, my unit was standby armour unit during the MCA chief Tan Koon Swan trial. His supporters were on the streets of JB, threatened to go to the pumping station and cut water supply to sinkieland. That night, whole camp was lockdown, everyone's book out canceled and all personnel recalled. Then after midnight, whole camp was turned out. All tanks driven out to the parade square and 3 tonners went to pick up the live ammo from the dump. I can still remember one 3 tonner per platoon. All ready to load ammo. You can see the senior officers like CO, S1 to S4 all in a group at one end of the parade square waiting for Brigade to order load up. Once daylight came, then alert was cancelled and tanks driven back to the shed, and ammo trucks driven back to the dump and unloaded. That was a close one. I think the plan was to straight drive over to the causeway and shoot any fuckers coming over. LOL.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal

It's incidents like these that makes me a staunch supporter of a strong SAF. Too bad these nation building moments can't be shared more widely. But I will be sure to tell my kids these stories when it's their turn to serve.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

nice. this is the kind of exciting history that will never be published in our history books.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah, I understand. When u have M113 drive you around the training area, then of course, your bunk life must also be similarly soft. Props to you. We don't have so lelac OC and CO allow us to have all these things in the bunk. I guess after Hsien Yang left, the place when to become a comfort house? Its not to say we don't let the men have their little fun. We always close a blind eye the night before field exercise when the men book out and come back with all their personal can food to hide in the tank. They eat that instead of c-rations in the field. So, we are not without a little creature comfort.
I not in LHY batch. 46th I always suspected turn from BRC to ABG because of LHY as the battalion was only form in 91. 46th then was in same brigade as 40th. After LHY left as CO, the battalion become a abandoned child in the armor family. All other 3 battalions trained under one doctrine and get the best occifers. 46th become the experiment unit. Brigade use 46th to test out doctrines using the Ultra M113 with 40/50 setup together OWS(simulate by another 40/50) setup. We did all the hard work but in the end, 40th become the first official IFV Ultra M113 battalion. KNN we even have to help 40th set up fire firing demonstrations. What to do, their CO scholar while my CO only a old farmer.

Since we sharing Gedong with 42th, can see big difference between both battalions men. 42th men air level, on the ball, dressing smart, very discipline and no welfare. Led by high flying 30yo LTC. But during their ATEC in Kanchanaburi, they had their asses whip by my guniang(your words) combat team. At Saiyoke Camp, we had maximum welfare while they have no welfare. Their all 3 missions fail. No morale, no enthusiasm, troops confirm CMI. Met a few of 42th folks during ICT, they train with us because they deferred. No hatred between us, in fact they like our battalion style. 46th at least my batch was a bunch of slackers on first look but when the pennies drop, it a bunch of comrades that can count on.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I 2nd that. Me amour too. How the fuck you get a washing machine in? Handheld or mini TVs would be smuggled in during World Cup period. Luxury would be a kettle and toaster at most. Once someone donated a waffle maker.
Uncle, u and colonel papsmear older batch. 90s some NSFs family loaded. Camp allow NSFs to drive vehicle in as long park properly. Family change new appliances aka fridge or washer, get somebody who own a pickup or lorry and bring in the old appliances during book in. Piece of cake. Of course all must clear before ORD.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I not in LHY batch. 46th I always suspected turn from BRC to ABG because of LHY as the battalion was only form in 91. 46th then was in same brigade as 40th. After LHY left as CO, the battalion become a abandoned child in the armor family. All other 3 battalions trained under one doctrine and get the best occifers. 46th become the experiment unit. Brigade use 46th to test out doctrines using the Ultra M113 with 40/50 setup together OWS(simulate by another 40/50) setup. We did all the hard work but in the end, 40th become the first official IFV Ultra M113 battalion. KNN we even have to help 40th set up fire firing demonstrations. What to do, their CO scholar while my CO only a old farmer.

Since we sharing Gedong with 42th, can see big difference between both battalions men. 42th men air level, on the ball, dressing smart, very discipline and no welfare. Led by high flying 30yo LTC. But during their ATEC in Kanchanaburi, they had their asses whip by my guniang(your words) combat team. At Saiyoke Camp, we had maximum welfare while they have no welfare. Their all 3 missions fail. No morale, no enthusiasm, troops confirm CMI. Met a few of 42th folks during ICT, they train with us because they deferred. No hatred between us, in fact they like our battalion style. 46th at least my batch was a bunch of slackers on first look but when the pennies drop, it a bunch of comrades that can count on.
so called “slackers”, “improvisers”, and “ill-disciplined” bunch of misfits across allied and axis tank units in ww2 were the most successful and feared veterans during the war. those “on-ones” who followed the book got their arses reamed. so many historical accounts on youtube by mark felton production which specializes in ww2 tank battles.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

LOL!

No real war also quickly tekan the man solid solid till they cry.

Hooray for the commanders!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At SAF camps overseas, there are laundry services for NSmen. Pay money and the ladies there will wash for you. :inlove:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At SAF camps overseas, there are laundry services for NSmen. Pay money and the ladies there will wash for you. :inlove:
Yes In kanchanaburi saiyike camp the laundry all handwashed. As they make according to the load. We helped by changing bedsheets and towels Everyday.