• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

tutucake

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once the EC privatized can liao right? Or just bed a 2 bedder leasehold condo at areas like sembawang or choa chu kang... One way or another u will be able to encash abt 1million sgd and at the same time still have a hose in Singapore for passive rental income + future
juz in case backup

Just a tot that this may work... Maybe other experts here can advice..

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once the EC privatized can liao right? Or just bed a 2 bedder leasehold condo at areas like sembawang or choa chu kang... One way or another u will be able to encash abt 1million sgd and at the same time still have a hose in Singapore for passive rental income + future
juz in case backup

Just a tot that this may work... Maybe other experts here can advice..

Once EC is privatized it is no longer under HDB purview. And I think tutucake's suggestion is an excellent plan :smile:

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once EC is privatized it is no longer under HDB purview. And I think tutucake's suggestion is an excellent plan :smile:

Yes, it is a good suggestion...I can do that when my MM is out of thr 4vyears SSD period....in the meantime sell my terrace and keep S$1 million in fixed deposit and get passive income from my MM rental...then I don't have to work fulltime for thr next 6 years and can retire now! Only prob is my husband wants to keep the terrace..sigh..

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just found someone from another forum who sold his landed and invested net proceeds of $1 million in shares giving 5 %pa for he and his wife to retire in JB in their mid forties! Like what I am thinking of doing now except not shares but fixed deposits...so glad to know that there are people who thinks the same way too!

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just found someone from another forum who sold his landed and invested net proceeds of $1 million in shares giving 5 %pa for he and his wife to retire in JB in their mid forties! Like what I am thinking of doing now except not shares but fixed deposits...so glad to know that there are people who thinks the same way too!

FD cannot get 5% return , unless foreign currency FD which is risky also.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
share market dropping. those with big money invested should be quite nervous now, what with tapering of QE under way.

True..that is why I am thinking of fixed deposit rather than shares...but hubby thinks landed will still appreciate in Sg so I guess we will not be doing that...

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
True..that is why I am thinking of fixed deposit rather than shares...but hubby thinks landed will still appreciate in Sg so I guess we will not be doing that...

your hubby should be right. sgp no more land. johor a lot of land.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
your hubby should be right. sgp no more land. johor a lot of land.

Just thought of another plan without selling any properties. We can stretch our loan tenure to the max and do partial payment on our terrace hence significantly reducing the monthly mortgage. Then, if things go well, we can still have S$5000+ a month to retire in JB now! But worry is that rental is not guaranteed ....

tutucake

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ur hubby is right... Landed in sg will appreciate... That's a no brainer. But if you guys wants to retire, u shldnt be focusing on getting "richer and richer" (of cos super rich can do that by multi investments)

The focus shld be trading ur hard earn money for mental and stress freedom the rest of ur live... U need to look for a "system" to sustain ur current lifestyle...

Many average old couples in Singapore will probably need to sell off their hdb and bunk in at their children's place in order to retire in a very basic lifestyle at a very old age. U guys don't have to do that...

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was just thinking this morning that if I need to standby to work in Sg when living in JB as rental not guaranteed, then it kinds of defeat the purpose of living there as I cannot stand the commute. And children may be better off in Sg schools. Maybe I should just be happy semiretiring in Sg once my MM and the JB house can give me passive income. Just decided not to work weekends anymore today as hubby advised and already feel much better...so when I work half time, guess it should be tolerable...anyway, retire so early very boring...

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was just thinking this morning that if I need to standby to work in Sg when living in JB as rental not guaranteed, then it kinds of defeat the purpose of living there as I cannot stand the commute. And children may be better off in Sg schools. Maybe I should just be happy semiretiring in Sg once my MM and the JB house can give me passive income. Just decided not to work weekends anymore today as hubby advised and already feel much better...so when I work half time, guess it should be tolerable...anyway, retire so early very boring...

why not give yourself 3 mths to try first ? for me i tried for few days only , i dun like e rush of daily commute as I still hv a roof in sg . but for some they can save costs on rental etc , its works for them.
retire early can do volunteer work leh , i wish i could volunteer in animals shetlers etc .

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
why not give yourself 3 mths to try first ? for me i tried for few days only , i dun like e rush of daily commute as I still hv a roof in sg . but for some they can save costs on rental etc , its works for them.
retire early can do volunteer work leh , i wish i could volunteer in animals shetlers etc

I guess if I try out, would have to be during school holidays but I cannot stop work for 3 months so trial period at the most one or two weeks....

kawan2sgmy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Crystal is right, should test it out first to see if it works for your whole family. We are talking about the whole family having to adjust to life in another country although it may be just across the causeway.
If it is 1 person, then it's not too much of a problem.

retire early can do volunteer work leh , i wish i could volunteer in animals shetlers etc .

Last edited:

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
retire early can do volunteer work leh , i wish i could volunteer in animals shetlers etc

I guess if I try out, would have to be during school holidays but I cannot stop work for 3 months so trial period at the most one or two weeks....

i mean try commute everyday for 3 months for school n work , get the kids involve , school holidays not so accurate , it desnt reflect the real traffic .
my new singaporean malay neighbours tried and said his children rather scarfice sleep in order to have big space to play etc.so up to individual , perhaps he got no choice since rented out his sg house and signed 1 yr lease for jb house.

Last edited:

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
i mean try commute everyday for 3 months for school n work , get the kids involve , school holidays not so accurate , it desnt reflect the real traffic .
my new singaporean malay neighbours tried and said his children rather scarfice sleep in order to have big space to play etc.so up to individual , perhaps he got no choice since rented out his sg house and signed 1 yr lease for jb house.

Can consider but I am pretty sure we won't be able to stand waking up so early and the daily jams. Another option is to wait till RTS is up as hopefully commute will be faster then...

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wow! I like stories like this. Inspiring for those of us who think of retiring in our mid-40s. Many of us have the same concerns: can our resources sustain us for the rest of our lives? Will we get bored? Will we feel we have missed out on attaining greater wealth or financial security when we start comparing with our peers sometime in the future?

These are sometimes not easy to answer. We have to know what we want and wha5 makes us happy. Hapoiness is not measured by wealth alone. Sipping a good cup of teh-c in a quaint old coffee shop in small town Kluang could give me intense satisfaction. Of course, to each his own.

Metaphor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sipping a good cup of teh-c in a quiant old coffee shop? Nice. I do a lot in june n dec but in georgetown. Some of my best days of the year.