• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's always a higher mountain somewhere. :smile:

That kind of S$4-5 mil condos are definitely within the comfortable reach of many Singapore professionals -- Doctors, bankers, lawyers, architects, accountants, entrepreneurs, top management in the civil service, local celebrities, etc.

Just to give some perspective: The average annual combined income of say a 30-something husband and wife professional above can easily be 1/2 a million S$ or more. A few years of savings will allow them to buy those kinds of condos. If they had bought it years ago, it would be even cheaper and achievable. If they are older or more senior, that amount of money is even more "peanuts" to them.

My colleague's brother who is a dentist with his own clinic has 4 leasehold investment properties getting him good returns in the past many years. Recently, I was told he just bought another new condo. I almost gasped. People like him won't consider Iskandar. Don't need to. Money flows like tap water for them! And there are of course many many other such examples.....

There are more rich people in Singapore than sometimes what we think. :smile:

True...For the rich Singapore is their playground liao. For peasants like me, Singapore too expensive to play. Instead of buying property for investment, turns out that HDB became the investment property while JB become my residential property.

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know what? The price is the most amazing. I for one love scenic views from my own houses or offices. However, it has become out of reach for peasants like us. The rich PRCs are buying and taking over the country. This is a fact. I was talking to my former schoolmate, a lawyer who graduated 1st class from Cambridge and he has difficulty putting his daughters into SCGS or RGS Primary etc because even though the birth rates are historically low when his daughter was born, the importation of PRCS was at ALL TIME HIGH!

And you know what? These PRC are not prc anymore. They are SINGAPORE CITIZENS. Imagine father no need to serve NS, parachuted into Singapore and his daughter is citizen by default. Amazing country we are living in.

If you don't believe me, talk to your friends who got kids in SCGS or Nanyang or MGS etc.. all supposedly English medium schools for ang mo pai Sinkie but you will be VERY VERY Surprised just how many PRC kids are there! OMG What is going on?

I recently visited some condos in Singapore for some work related stuff and WOW, some of these condos are simply AMAZING! Private Parking (in unit), Private Pool (in unit), high quality finishing, super nice decking, the most breathtaking views, only can dream to stay in places like these. Cannot compare with anything I have seen in SEA but price also amazing.

1,500sqf - S$4.8mil (mid range condo in Newton), 1,800sqf - S$5.6mil (higher end condo in Newton, the private pool one) lastly 2,000sqf - 8mil (high end condo in Tanglin) - I really dunno who are these owners got so much money.

There are some crappy ones i saw in Bukit Timah/Novena area as well asking same price but super old, not worth it to me. I'm renting for company exec by the way, not buying for myself :smile:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
True...For the rich Singapore is their playground liao. For peasants like me, Singapore too expensive to play. Instead of buying property for investment, turns out that HDB became the investment property while JB become my residential property.

Ya, true. That's why I try not to compare and I've reached the stage where I believe in self-contentment. I'm not easily impressed by wealth. Not saying this out of jealousy but we all have to die one day. All the stuffs here are just temporary.

Being able to buy a Ferrari or a S$5 mil condo does not extend one's life by a few more years. In fact, I see some rich people having more problems because of money itself! So ironic isn't it....

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know what? The price is the most amazing. I for one love scenic views from my own houses or offices. However, it has become out of reach for peasants like us. The rich PRCs are buying and taking over the country. This is a fact. I was talking to my former schoolmate, a lawyer who graduated 1st class from Cambridge and he has difficulty putting his daughters into SCGS or RGS Primary etc because even though the birth rates are historically low when his daughter was born, the importation of PRCS was at ALL TIME HIGH!

And you know what? These PRC are not prc anymore. They are SINGAPORE CITIZENS. Imagine father no need to serve NS, parachuted into Singapore and his daughter is citizen by default. Amazing country we are living in.

If you don't believe me, talk to your friends who got kids in SCGS or Nanyang or MGS etc.. all supposedly English medium schools for ang mo pai Sinkie but you will be VERY VERY Surprised just how many PRC kids are there! OMG What is going on?

It's depressing to read this.

I don't think your friend's occupation as a lawyer or getting top honours from a well-known uni have much bearing on how easier his children should get into the desired schools. The SG govt will say everything is fair here. It's based on balloting and there is no favoritism. Unless your friend is some PAP minister or whatever, I'm sure strings can be pulled somehow, even though they won't report such news if it's true.

It's the same case of how I have served my NS dutifully for so many years. Yet when I tried to ballot for a flat last time, I failed many times. Realized later my China colleague became Singaporean not long after he started work. He is just an ordinary Joe without any extraordinary talent. He brought his China wife over and started his own family here who are all now Singaporeans. They managed to easily buy a BTO flat and his kids are studying in our local primary schools here. You know how that feels? It's a very sucky feeling. To add salt to the wound, the great PM Lee said we should not feel any animosity towards these new immigrants but help them to assimilate into our society.

The government will try to have us believe, No, no, no.... The lack of hospital beds, difficulty of school placement for your kids, and exponential rise in HDB flat prices are not caused by foreigners!

Well of course. They have converted these new immigrants to Singaporeans so they are excluded out of the statistics under the label of "foreigners". Cunning....

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's depressing to read this.

I don't think your friend's occupation as a lawyer or getting top honours from a well-known uni have much bearing on how easier his children should get into the desired schools. The SG govt will say everything is fair here. It's based on balloting and there is no favoritism. Unless your friend is some PAP minister or whatever, I'm sure strings can be pulled somehow, even though they won't report such news if it's true.

It's the same case of how I have served my NS dutifully for so many years. Yet when I tried to ballot for a flat last time, I failed many times. Realized later my China colleague became Singaporean not long after he started work. He is just an ordinary Joe without any extraordinary talent. He brought his China wife over and started his own family here who are all now Singaporeans. They managed to easily buy a BTO flat and his kids are studying in our local primary schools here. You know how that feels? It's a very sucky feeling. To add salt to the wound, the great PM Lee said we should not feel any animosity towards these new immigrants but help them to assimilate into our society.

The government will try to have us believe, No, no, no.... The lack of hospital beds, difficulty of school placement for your kids, and exponential rise in HDB flat prices are not caused by foreigners!

Well of course. They have converted these new immigrants to Singaporeans so they are excluded out of the statistics under the label of "foreigners". Cunning....

Imported Singaporeans have priority over indigenous Singaporeans!

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's the only way our Masters continue to lord over us till SG100.
Change is never going to come. Statistically it's a gone case. (Immigration).
So… Make plans. Secure your own Future wherever it may be.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes. Singkie garment is not going to terminate or U-turn the immigration policy. Sinkies are struggling daily be it transportation, housing, medical, cost of living etc etc.

Anyway 70% of Singkies had given the garment a strong mandate. A very strong mandate indeed!

So dont blame the garment. Cos the garment is just following and listening to the wishes of 70% sinkies.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally, I feel there's no point complaining. What we should do is to find ways to fully maximize the Govt's game-plan to one's advantage, and this may include monetizing the HDB for rental income. by retiring in JB, or investing in the next big property area for the Govt (eg Woodlands, Jurong, Paya Lebar)....

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally, I feel there's no point complaining. What we should do is to find ways to fully maximize the Govt's game-plan to one's advantage, and this may include monetizing the HDB for rental income. by retiring in JB, or investing in the next big property area for the Govt (eg Woodlands, Jurong, Paya Lebar)....

Yes, retiring overseas is an excellent option while renting out our hse in SG.

JB is the nearest place and we can still make use of the medishield cover. Best of both worlds :smile:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, retiring overseas is an excellent option while renting out our hse in SG.

JB is the nearest place and we can still make use of the medishield cover. Best of both worlds :smile:

The close proximity between JB and Singapore is in my view the most significant factor in allowing people like me to realise or unlock the HDB as an investment vehicle.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
The close proximity between JB and Singapore is in my view the most significant factor in allowing people like me to realise or unlock the HDB as an investment vehicle.

Anti-JB n Pappies leggy are not very happy about the concept of renting HDB and living in JB. They are questioning why public housing is being rented out for profit / income . They are trying very hard to lobby the government to stop this practice . I wont be surprise they will make things difficult for us in the near future . Hence it is best to get private condo for passive income if one plan for a long term retirement in JB.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anti-JB n Pappies leggy are not very happy about the concept of renting HDB and living in JB. They are questioning why public housing is being rented out for profit / income . They are trying very hard to lobby the government to stop this practice . I wont be surprise they will make things difficult for us in the near future . Hence it is best to get private condo for passive income if one plan for a long term retirement in JB.

If can sell house for profit, why cannot rent house for income? The law allows for it anyway, I think it's most probably a case of sour grapes. Anyway I cannot afford a condo in Singapore.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
If can sell house for profit, why cannot rent house for income? The law allows for it anyway, I think it's most probably a case of sour grapes. Anyway I cannot afford a condo in Singapore.

Remember last time PR can rent out HDB , now cannot . If those leggie KPKB again , they can easily change the law to something like Citizen can only rent out HDB after retirement age which currently stand at 65. I know this government too well liao , they cant see Sinkies having a easily life one .

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember last time PR can rent out HDB , now cannot . If those leggie KPKB again , they can easily change the law to something like Citizen can only rent out HDB after retirement age which currently stand at 65. I know this government too well liao , they cant see Sinkies having a easily life one .

No wonder Singaporeans are always being screwed....LOL!

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal

A very good point. Have such complaints started yet?

Yes, I won't be surprised if the very business-minded SG govt starts imposing restrictions. It just requires enough people to complain for them to take action. Perhaps they might also collect additional taxes if your household income falls above a certain level and you rent out your whole flat. They hate seeing you as a commoner make profits from your public housing. Yet ironically, they are the ones who artificially inflated the prices of flats and even caused them to become speculative at one point or another!

Why did this LHL seem to have lost track of HDB's mission to make flats truly affordable like in his late father's days?

My theory is that the costlier flats become, the higher and longer tenure HDB loans many buyers will take. And most importantly, it's one way for them to silently "siphon" money out of the buyers' CPF for the next 20,30 years! Moreover, calculate the total interest they can get from you *ching ching!!!* Sell the flat next time still must put the interest your "owe" (actually your own money!) back into your CPF. More *ching ching!!!*

Economy good or bad, this govt sure HUAT ka lao sai all the way! Solid but cunning business acumen....

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
A very good point. Have such complaints started yet?

Yes, I won't be surprised if the very business-minded SG govt starts imposing restrictions. It just requires enough people to complain for them to take action. Perhaps they might also collect additional taxes if your household income falls above a certain level and you rent out your whole flat. They hate seeing you as a commoner make profits from your public housing. Yet ironically, they are the ones who artificially inflated the prices of flats and even caused them to become speculative at one point or another!

Why did this LHL seem to have lost track of HDB's mission to make flats truly affordable like in his late father's days?

My theory is that the costlier flats become, the higher and longer tenure HDB loans many buyers will take. And most importantly, it's one way for them to silently "siphon" money out of the buyers' CPF for the next 20,30 years! Moreover, calculate the total interest they can get from you *ching ching!!!* Sell the flat next time still must put the interest your "owe" (actually your own money!) back into your CPF. More *ching ching!!!*

Economy good or bad, this govt sure HUAT ka lao sai all the way! Solid but cunning business acumen....

Very likely that the word “affordability” have been redefined but not explicitly clarified. The govt is mostly only referring to people who successfully ballot for the BTO houses and qualify for max grants and buy smaller flats and max 30 years loan tenure…and after more than 5 years can sell for profit and “upgrade” after making “lots of money”. To the govt this is the “sure win” path to take…but people are not like that. People have their preferences and aspirations. Some want to stay near their parents, some want to live near their work places, or near the schools of their kids, and some prefer to buy a bigger home “once and for all and stay there forever” without having to buy small then “upgrade” as though there is no inconvenience or hassle to such things because kids can come along in a couple of years.

http://asingaporeanson.blogspot.sg/2015/08/khaws-affordable-hdb-flats-that-you.html

https://temasektimes.wordpress.com/...lats-are-affordable-to-the-most-singaporeans/

http://www.tremeritus.com/2016/01/12/hdb’s-unique-measures-of-affordable/

http://sgyounginvestment.blogspot.sg/2014/02/how-much-money-does-couple-need-to-earn.html

Last edited: