• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also have retired friends who join back the workforce and they said life is more fulfilling and they are happier.

Then why did they retire in the first place if working was so fun? They must have got bored of work, to start with.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not about my parent's circumstances, it is about people who keep saying use work to kill boredom, I don't buy that view. Man is born to be free and do what he likes, not work in a fixed environment and fixed time till death, like prison.

True...to kill boredom with work is overkill. Boredom is best killed with doing something you like...with passion!:wink:

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMHO, people gives up living when they lose hope, nothing to look forward to, ala suicide or people hanging on to the last breath waiting to see the loved ones. I do not see lacking of "work" would make one wants to give up living voluntarily. When that happens, it is perhaps because without generating incomes from working which can fund activities they want to partake in. This, and not boredom makes them give up hope or the desire to continue living.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then why did they retire in the first place if working was so fun? They must have got bored of work, to start with.

One colleague retired becos she wanted more time to travel and to spend with family, not becos of being bored with work . Later found that there are only so many places to visit and it can also be boring after a while. Ironical. Also quarrel with hubby when at home etc.

So our perception of retirement life may not be correct ...often the law of unintended consequences applies.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMHO, people gives up living when they lose hope, nothing to look forward to, ala suicide or people hanging on to the last breath waiting to see the loved ones. I do not see lacking of "work" would make one wants to give up living voluntarily. When that happens, it is perhaps because without generating incomes from working which can fund activities they want to partake in. This, and not boredom makes them give up hope or the desire to continue living.

Don't la frighten people and sound so philosophical. You almost spoiled my mood for retirement planning..:biggrin:
I think I am more than ready to retire now if I choose to. Maybe in 5 to 8 years time, I will call it quits altogether.
But I am not the type who sit at home and retire waiting to fight with my wife over silliest things.

Better go on world tour when I can still walk. Already going up the Great Wall was a challenge to me last year. I prefer to go country by country spending about 3 weeks in each of them. I travelled a fair bit so far but my bucket list would include South American Andes, riding camels past Pyramids, Maldives for fishing, Hobart Yacht race, Moscow, Rio de Jeneiro, Cancun, etc etc. And of course nothing beats staying in my holiday homes.

Don't get caught with too much money but you can't walk and enjoy seeing the world.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't la frighten people and sound so philosophical. You almost spoiled my mood for retirement planning..:biggrin:
I think I am more than ready to retire now if I choose to. Maybe in 5 to 8 years time, I will call it quits altogether.
But I am not the type who sit at home and retire waiting to fight with my wife over silliest things.

Better go on world tour when I can still walk. Already going up the Great Wall was a challenge to me last year. I prefer to go country by country spending about 3 weeks in each of them. I travelled a fair bit so far but my bucket list would include South American Andes, riding camels past Pyramids, Maldives for fishing, Hobart Yacht race, Moscow, Rio de Jeneiro, Cancun, etc etc. And of course nothing beats staying in my holiday homes.

Don't get caught with too much money but you can't walk and enjoy seeing the world.

Ha.. ha. I get to be more philosophical only after retirement, from reading up history. Come to think of it, with so much ""philosophy" behind me, it may be about time I "apply" for a PhD from the University of South Pacific. That way, I can "work" again to earn big money :biggrin:

I am of the same mind as you when it comes to travelling. Better do it when the body is still able to hack it. Work until cannot walk properly, got money also cannot enjoy spending. Very philosophical again huh. Definitely qualify to graduate with PhD from USP :biggrin:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you know retirement is worse than working?

You need to protect your savings and you have to make sure there's no currency depreciation. Everyday worry when some papers screamed recessions.
You depend on deposit rates and the banks is giving pittance. You invest in funds yet you get these scams every now and then.
Then you say you got properties, no worries. Can rent them out. But when you are old, it is tedious to get repair works done and finding new tenants is so difficult. Worse is get lousy tenant, did not pay. Have to find legal people involvement. But cannot drive and ask son to help. Son always very busy.
Later you worry which son is trying to get your inheritance before you konk.

Then you listen to everybody and go healthy. Practice tai chi every day. After that you outlive your savings and no more money. Ask your son for pocket money, he pretend not to hear. You have to fake anger to squeeze from him.
Who say retirement is great?

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you know retirement is worse than working?

You need to protect your savings and you have to make sure there's no currency depreciation. Everyday worry when some papers screamed recessions.
You depend on deposit rates and the banks is giving pittance. You invest in funds yet you get these scams every now and then.
Then you say you got properties, no worries. Can rent them out. But when you are old, it is tedious to get repair works done and finding new tenants is so difficult. Worse is get lousy tenant, did not pay. Have to find legal people involvement. But cannot drive and ask son to help. Son always very busy.
Later you worry which son is trying to get your inheritance before you konk.

Then you listen to everybody and go healthy. Practice tai chi every day. After that you outlive your savings and no more money. Ask your son for pocket money, he pretend not to hear. You have to fake anger to squeeze from him.
Who say retirement is great?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwjNBjqR-c :smile:

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Funny but in a way also quite true.
But currently that seems like the best option.
I guess difficult to depend on children.
Have to be as independent as possible.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is also another famous saying, "nothing is certain in this world, only death and taxes"

So chill, listen to your heart and just do it. If you want to retire early, do it. If you want to continue working, do it. No need to hear so many opinions, every life is different. Don't wait until you kick the bucket then regret never do this or that.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is also another famous saying, "nothing is certain in this world, only death and taxes"

So chill, listen to your heart and just do it. If you want to retire early, do it. If you want to continue working, do it. No need to hear so many opinions, every life is different. Don't wait until you kick the bucket then regret never do this or that.

CooL totally agree. 潇洒走一回 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbRUsYtZ2fsl :smile:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
One colleague retired becos she wanted more time to travel and to spend with family, not becos of being bored with work . Later found that there are only so many places to visit and it can also be boring after a while. Ironical. Also quarrel with hubby when at home etc.

So our perception of retirement life may not be correct ...often the law of unintended consequences applies.

I think retirement is not for everyone. For me, there are so many things to do I will never get bored or find it limited.

You got to plan for retirement. It doesn't mean u retire, don't have to work and so can do anything you want. Your colleague gives me a feeling like this. How can there be only "so many places to visit"? If you are really into traveling and plan well, you can't possibly finish visiting places in a lifetime!

And if one is not loving enough towards a spouse, no one can help him or her. It's personal and couples have to work out that themselves.

If I have enough money, definitely I would like to retire early too. Many Singaporeans don't have fulfilling aims or purposes in life so they may have enough money to retire but give the excuse that they must continue working because they will get bored otherwise.

That's really sad. Cos when they are about to die, they will look back and realize much of their life was spent working but the money they accummulated is useless now. They worked because they were afraid to get bored?! It just doesn't sound like a fulfilling life for me, unless their work involves doing something they really enjoy, which not many people can say that.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think retirement is not for everyone. For me, there are so many things to do I will never get bored or find it limited.

You got to plan for retirement. It doesn't mean u retire, don't have to work and so can do anything you want. Your colleague gives me a feeling like this. How can there be only "so many places to visit"? If you are really into traveling and plan well, you can't possibly finish visiting places in a lifetime!

And if one is not loving enough towards a spouse, no one can help him or her. It's personal and couples have to work out that themselves.

If I have enough money, definitely I would like to retire early too. Many Singaporeans don't have fulfilling aims or purposes in life so they may have enough money to retire but give the excuse that they must continue working because they will get bored otherwise.

That's really sad. Cos when they are about to die, they will look back and realize much of their life was spent working but the money they accummulated is useless now. They worked because they were afraid to get bored?! It just doesn't sound like a fulfilling life for me, unless their work involves doing something they really enjoy, which not many people can say that.

That is so true...for me, I wanna retire early so that I can do what I really wanna do, which is to be a Christian missionary, something much more fulfilling than working, which I will never get bored of....

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is so true...for me, I wanna retire early so that I can do what I really wanna do, which is to be a Christian missionary, something much more fulfilling than working, which I will never get bored of....

Yes, that's very good and one of the possible things to one after one retires. It's a very meaningful aim.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

I read somewhere that most people when they are about to die express regret at not spending enough time with family and too much time on work.:o

Hear ye hear ye!

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, maybe u are right that having fulfilling purposes may be the key to a satisfying retirement :smile: Thanks for the heads up . Gave me something to mull over...

as for the travelling part, it can be very tiring for older folks and also costs lots of $$ ...

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maybe can learn to do the China Wine thingy, like that famous pastor's superstar wife, not only able to keep fit with those frenzy pelvic humping moves, can also reach out to the people especially those humsup old men!

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe can learn to do the China Wine thingy, like that famous pastor's superstar wife, not only able to keep fit with those frenzy pelvic humping moves, can also reach out to the people especially those humsup old men!

Oh man, please dun insult me by comparing me to her...I dun have millions from tithes to burn, am not a pastor's wife nor like dancing very much....will probably do medical missionary trips to less developed countries since I am a doctor and can contribute in that way....

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read somewhere that most people when they are about to die express regret at not spending enough time with family and too much time on work.:o

Hear ye hear ye!

Yes, people always regret later, especially when they don't think they will pass away sooner than they thought. Or when they suffer from some illness that prevents them from enjoying even the simple things in life. It is this final stage in life that they realise no amount of money can help them. Even the poor will have better life than them.