• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

E-scooters to be banned from Singapore footpaths from Nov 5

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
EG one of these can easily be modified so that peddling effort is almost zero. All you have to do is give the appearance of peddling and it becomes street legal.

Very popular in NZ.

61Glf8acK+L._SL1000_.jpg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Uses for Folding Electric Bikes
Folding electric bikes can be used for anything a standard-powered folding bike can – with the added advantage of the electric powertrain that’s available when you need it.

Because these bikes are foldable, they’re incredibly portable. This is one of the best features of folding bikes. Since your bike can fold, you can fit it into many tight spaces you wouldn’t normally be able to fit a bike, such as in a tiny studio apartment without space for a mounting rack, or in your truck without using a cumbersome bike rack.

The best use for a folding electric bike, however, is for commuting and city travel.

If you live in a city, it’s quite possible that folding electric bikes are the ultimate commuting machine. The huge number of convenience factors provided by these bikes make it the smartest choice for use when traveling around the city daily. You have the versatility of a bicycle – the ability to switch to sidewalks, go around traffic, and ride in tight spaces – with the convenience of a powered form of transportation.

Not only that, the foldability and light weight of these bikes can help you prevent theft – which is a huge problem in most cities. Instead of locking your bike up outside and leaving enterprising thieves to consider the best way of stealing it, you can simply fold it up and take it with you – to the office, grocery store, wherever you may be. No fretting about whether or not you bike will be there when you get back from your errands.

Advantages of Using Folding Electric Bikes
Let’s get a bit deeper into some of the advantages of using a folding electric bike, and explore what makes these ultimate commuting machines tick.

No special license required
  • Folding electric bikes are not considered mopeds, motorcycles, or any other form of powered transport. Since they are operable completely manually, they are bicycles as far as relevant laws are concerned – you don’t need any kind of special license to operate one.
Enhanced protection against theft
  • Of course, conventional bikes and folding mountain bikes alike all have the potential to be stolen, and for the most part, chains and locks help prevent that. Unfortunately, even the sturdiest lock can be broken. Folding mountain bikes allow for users to easily keep an eye on their bike, bringing it along to offices, stores, or restaurants.
Portable and Lightweight
  • While folding electric bikes are somewhat heavier than their manually-pedaled counterparts, they’re still lightweight compared to other forms of transportation like mopeds. Add to that the easily folding design, and you’ve got yourself one of the most portable forms of transportation on the market.

This also means you can bring your bike with you on public transportation – buses, subways, trains, and other forms of transport, allowing you to travel long distances quickly, and cover your final leg of your journey with your powered bike.
Easy, cheap, non-sweaty commuting
  • This is actually the number one thing stopping many people from riding bicycles to work – if it’s hot outside, nobody wants to be sweaty when they get to the office, especially if they have no place to shower. folding electric bikes allow you to minimize the work done on the bike when you need to in hot weather, and keep you feeling fresh and cool even during the hottest commutes.
Never worry about running out of juice
  • One of the biggest advantages of a folding electric bicycle is that they are operable completely manually – if you run out of power, you can just ride your bike as you would normally until you get a chance to charge up. This makes them extraordinarily versatile and allows you to take extended trips on your bike with no fear of being stranded when out of power.
Avoid traffic
  • Obviously, you shouldn’t ignore traffic rules and try to weave around cars – that’s dangerous, even for unpowered bicycles. However, folding electric bikes can fit places that cars can’t – alleyways, or even sidewalks – though again, you should follow all posted laws and regulations about where to ride them. Using your surroundings smartly in an urban environment can help you avoid traffic completely.
Safe from theft
  • Standard bicycles are extremely vulnerable, even when left locked up. Even the thickest, most secure U-locks can be cracked and destroyed by enterprising bike thieves in mere minutes. This goes double for standard electric bicycles – they’re expensive, bulky, and can’t really be transported inside, so they are prime targets for bike thieves.

Folding electric bikes avoid theft by virtue of being foldable and portable – you don’t have to lock them up outside, you can just take them into your apartment, office, or wherever you may be – and if you’re in public, you can just ask somebody to keep an eye on your bike behind the counter, or stick it by your seat in a restaurant.
Easy storage
  • Space is at a premium in all urban apartments nowadays, and folding bikes take up much less space than their traditional cousins – up to a 70% smaller storage footprint, in some cases. This allows you to stash your bike somewhere discreet and out of the way when you don’t need it, without sacrificing valuable floor space or wall space.

kelvin

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do pity those civil servants working for the incompetent transport ministers. One day, say PMD is active mobility and endorse it, next day so battery must change and chut new pattern, then now finally say ban PMD on footpaths, roads and grass. These civil servants must be swearing chow cheers byes at the incompetent ministers everyday :biggrin:

Tiok boh?

Song boh?

IMG_20191106_111532.jpg

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
As much as I hate those PMDs being such pests, it’s also quite a joke that LTA took so long to play around and in the end decided to go for the lazy option of banning them on footpaths.

Seems like problems in Singapore are either solved through these 2 options by Govt:

1) raise prices till they exclude the lower rungs of society ( such as with cars)
Or
2) lazy laws to ban

Last edited:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think let the pmd users go on a safety crash course for three days, also pass the message to errant pmd users not to flout the rules as it affect the livelihood of others. this should not be difficult as every sinkie go thru some form of formal education.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
EG one of these can easily be modified so that peddling effort is almost zero. All you have to do is give the appearance of peddling and it becomes street legal.

Very popular in NZ.

View attachment 67540

But PABs are not allowed on the sidewalks right? The convenience of the PMD used to be door-to-door while avoiding roads.

Riding on roads in Singapore is very scary. I have tried both and found PMDs on sidewalks to be far less stressful and more pleasant than cycling on the roads. Until my accident that is.

Now I stick to driving for my own safety.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
i think let the pmd users go on a safety crash course for three days, also pass the message to errant pmd users not to flout the rules as it affect the livelihood of others. this should not be difficult as every sinkie go thru some form of formal education.

124 people died on the roads last year and thousands more were injured so why are you only concerned about PMD safety when the streets and the highways are literally death traps with lots of carnage and destruction added to the mix?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
But PABs are not allowed on the sidewalks right? The convenience of the PMD used to be door-to-door while avoiding roads.

Riding on roads in Singapore is very scary. I have tried both and found PMDs on sidewalks to be far less stressful and more pleasant than cycling on the roads. Until my accident that is.

Now I stick to driving for my own safety.

I ride my PMD and the roads and the sidewalks and I find the roads a lot safer so I stick to the tarmac wherever possible.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
124 people died on the roads last year and thousands more were injured so why are you only concerned about PMD safety when the streets and the highways are literally death traps with lots of carnage and destruction added to the mix?

vehicles on the roads are more destructive compared to mobile toys like pmds.

Last edited:

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
These stuoid papers covered the ban like retards. The headline should have been pmds ONLY allowed in park connectors. But they say only NOT allowed on footpath. Useless reporters

Johnrambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Food Delivery Riders Gather Around Minister K Shanmugam During 5 Nov Meet-The-People Session

https://tinyurI.com/y4j8wrl6

nfxkJhp.png

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the way forward would be to create a commerical licence class for PMDs, with licence and insurance similar to class 2b Vehicles but permited on sidewalks with device speed cap at 15km/h and intensive rider education on proper riding etiquette. All commercial riders must display a prominent sign over their food delivery packs with their licence number. Commercially licenced PMDs must have a sound emitting device which is activated every time they approach a pedestrian.

ONLY commerically licenced PMDs will be allowed on footpaths and they will be subject to strict enforcement with a demerit point system based on public reports against them for unruly riding behaviour.

A tax shall be imposed on all commercial delivery companies on a per rider basis to fund licencing and enforcement expenditure.

Lets give these commerical delivery riders a break. Honestly I find most of them to be highly considerate riders so far, giving way to pedestrians and generally not being a nuisance to others.