• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

DVD order website

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been thinking about that too, recently I have sold or thrown away my entire DVD collection of movies, for I discovered many which I had paid good money for, starts to disc rot & can not be played anymore. The Blu Rays were ok.

If we rip the bu rays or buy movies on-line & stream it on our display set, will we get the same quality as in sound & picture as those encoded on the disc, that is what I want to know.

If you rip a blue ray disc onto a hard drive and capture it in full and not compressed, it's still way better than an actual DVD disc. But at 25g a movie, it's gonna take alot of hard drive space. What I do is, those movies that don't really require blue ray type quality, I usually just ripped the dvds. Special effects blockbusters like Avatar and Cars, I ripped it in Blue Ray.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got plenty of DVD movies back when they were $60 per disc. Trying to decide if it is worth getting a Blue Ray player:confused:

Do blue ray discs have regional code limitations:confused: If they do have region limitations, how how easy is it to find region free blue ray players:confused:

mulvi74

Alfrescian
Loyal
DVD is obsolete.
Step 1 download to NAS
Step 2 play it thru an aTV or similar
The best bit is you fuck News Corp and the other thieving studios
Get fibre internet and download til you break these thieving pricks

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got plenty of DVD movies back when they were $60 per disc. Trying to decide if it is worth getting a Blue Ray player:confused:

Do blue ray discs have regional code limitations:confused: If they do have region limitations, how how easy is it to find region free blue ray players:confused:

There no region free Blu Ray players...most here play zone A & zone C, I have made the mistake buying one from UK without reading the zone...a blu ray disc that was zone B..which I could not play...

There are blu ray player out there, that plays all zone...not from the major brands though!

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There no region free Blu Ray players...most here play zone A & zone C, I have made the mistake buying one from UK without reading the zone...a blu ray disc that was zone B..which I could not play...

There are blu ray player out there, that plays all zone...not from the major brands though!

In the past you could get DVD players from the major brands e.g. Pioneer & Samsung that had a key to turn off regional coding.
Before buying I would ask the sales guy if they could "turn off" the region limitations. They turned it off on my request:smile:

On Apple branded laptops you can change the DVD region 3 times before the system will lock you in. Had to use a SW patch to turn that off:smile:

Don't know if there is a turn off switch for Blue Ray players:confused:
I may get Blue Ray discs from Amazon, while travelling, from friends. So I'd like to avoid future problems

Last edited:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your eyes can hardly tell the difference between DVD and blue ray after a while as you concentrate on the content.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup that's true. But when you got kids, you gonna have to watch Finding Nemo and Madagascar a few hundred times man.

Also I don't want to leave my laptop on all the time. I use to download alot and it screws my laptop or pc performance. It's just easier to buy. But buy pirated of course. My old original DVDs are already showing it's age. Some are chipping. They lied to us when they said that DVDs can last a hundred years. Those bastards.

Why do you want DVD to last a hundred years?

I can watch any movies online. No need to download, but I've no time to watch. I need to work so I have money to donate to my church.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your eyes can hardly tell the difference between DVD and blue ray after a while as you concentrate on the content.

Having problems with my current DVD player which is a Samsung. So if I'm planning to get a replacement, might as well consider a Blue Ray player since prices have fallen.

Also will have to look to the future when the TV goes. I've been hearing about the new 4K TVs which having higher resolution.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do you want DVD to last a hundred years?

I can watch any movies online. No need to download, but I've no time to watch. I need to work so I have money to donate to my church.

If people sell a product and claims can last 100 years does not mean I want it to last 100 years but at least have to live up to it la. Some (original )dvds dont even last 5 years. If they sell you a property that is freehold, does it mean you are a highlander from the clan McLeod and can live forever?

When I was single, I also watch movies on my peecee..But when you have a family, it is different. It is obvious that most people here in this forum are either teenagers or ugly old single guys..

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i never watch a Blu Ray show. how is the quality like ? why people go for the highest quality Blu Ray formats ?

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having problems with my current DVD player which is a Samsung. So if I'm planning to get a replacement, might as well consider a Blue Ray player since prices have fallen.

Also will have to look to the future when the TV goes. I've been hearing about the new 4K TVs which having higher resolution.
4k is good for 100" TV set. Question is whether your living room is that big to accommodate such a big screen?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
4k is good for 100" TV set. Question is whether your living room is that big to accommodate such a big screen?

I've noticed that sets are getting bigger & cheaper. When it's time to replace my set I'll of course go for the biggest one I can afford.
Can watch without wearing my glasses on :smile:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've noticed that sets are getting bigger & cheaper. When it's time to replace my set I'll of course go for the biggest one I can afford.
Can watch without wearing my glasses on :smile:
There is an optimal distance for each size. For 100" TV you probably need to be at least 5 m away to watch comfortable, otherwise you need to constantly move your eyeballs to see what is happening at the peripheral of the image.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is an optimal distance for each size. For 100" TV you probably need to be at least 5 m away to watch comfortable, otherwise you need to constantly move your eyeballs to see what is happening at the peripheral of the image.

I've got a 32" TV sitting next to my 23" computer screen.

For my living room I think a 60 to 70 inch screen would be ideal. A 100" screen would be just . be too muchl