• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Driving to Bangkok

shortypants

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bros,

I have a GARMIN nuvi 255w GPS system.I intend to drive from Singapore to Thailand relying on this set. Anyone knows where I can get accurate Spore, Msia and Thailand maps from the net for this set. If there is a free download from the map, its even better.:biggrin:

Also, do you guys know how I can get car insurance coverage (First Party) for my car in Msia & Thailand. I currently use NTUC.

Lastly, do you know which is the preferred and less dangerous route. What comfortable and safe hotel hotels are there along the way. Which customs in Hatyai should I enter by? Is it true that Hatyai customs do not open 24hrs a day? I intend to drive all the way to Bangkok.

Thanks a lot bros:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Also, do you guys know how I can get car insurance coverage (First Party) for my car in Msia & Thailand. I currently use NTUC.

Don't want to be a wet blanket but wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to find out where/how to rent a car in Malaysia or LOS :confused:

Spore has one of the most expensive car prices. If you do get into an accident its alot of pain$$$ especially if you have to deal with NTUC :smile:

Starving.Artist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bros,

I have a GARMIN nuvi 255w GPS system.I intend to drive from Singapore to Thailand relying on this set. Anyone knows where I can get accurate Spore, Msia and Thailand maps from the net for this set. If there is a free download from the map, its even better.:biggrin:

Lastly, do you know which is the preferred and less dangerous route. What comfortable and safe hotel hotels are there along the way. Which customs in Hatyai should I enter by? Is it true that Hatyai customs do not open 24hrs a day? I intend to drive all the way to Bangkok.

Thanks a lot bros:biggrin:
Driving to bangkok

Insurance: your ntuc insurance will cover you for singapore and west malaysia only, and that is fine, when you cross the thai border you will need to buy (required by law) thai car insurance. its very cheap

Temporary importation
Do note that you will either need to be the owner of the car (must bring a copy of the log card, print from onemotoring.com.sg) or if not the owner must carry an authorising letter from the owner of the car allowing you to use it. this is because when you travel to thailand, you will be 'temporarily importing the car in'

Maps
In regards to maps, for singapore and malaysia you can use the garmin malsingmaps. i have no idea about maps in thailand, i went there and didnt use a gps. in fact you may only need it in bangkok because the route there is rather straight forward. Just remember this, when you drive up take note of the town names you wil need to pass when you journey up. the signs point to the next town

Journey time
the journey from singapore should take 2 days at the fastest or 3 days standard travel. If travellign 2 days it will be Singapore-> hatyai-> bangkok... but its tough as the travelling speed in thailand is not like NS highway. on the NS you can cruise at 160 with peak at 200, in thailand due to wandering dogs, people crossing, bikes going against the flow you will need to cut down to 90km/h with peak at 110kmh. this is the time i took.

if 3 days then Singapore-> penang(or haatyai)-> Hua Hin-> bangkok

hotels in haatyai
I stayed at something called Diamond... nothing great, it was cheap and we chose it because it had closed/secured parking. That i thought would be important.

Starving.Artist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Driving to bangkok

Insurance: your ntuc insurance will cover you for singapore and west malaysia only, and that is fine, when you cross the thai border you will need to buy (required by law) thai car insurance. its very cheap

Temporary importation
Do note that you will either need to be the owner of the car (must bring a copy of the log card, print from onemotoring.com.sg) or if not the owner must carry an authorising letter from the owner of the car allowing you to use it. this is because when you travel to thailand, you will be 'temporarily importing the car in'

Maps
In regards to maps, for singapore and malaysia you can use the garmin malsingmaps. i have no idea about maps in thailand, i went there and didnt use a gps. in fact you may only need it in bangkok because the route there is rather straight forward. Just remember this, when you drive up take note of the town names you wil need to pass when you journey up. the signs point to the next town

Journey time
the journey from singapore should take 2 days at the fastest or 3 days standard travel. If travellign 2 days it will be Singapore-> hatyai-> bangkok... but its tough as the travelling speed in thailand is not like NS highway. on the NS you can cruise at 160 with peak at 200, in thailand due to wandering dogs, people crossing, bikes going against the flow you will need to cut down to 90km/h with peak at 110kmh. this is the time i took.

if 3 days then Singapore-> penang(or haatyai)-> Hua Hin-> bangkok

hotels in haatyai
I stayed at something called Diamond... nothing great, it was cheap and we chose it because it had closed/secured parking. That i thought would be important.
You'd take the Sadao border crossing to Thailand... do note its a mess at the customs. expect to park the car, come out, clear immigration, then clear customs (remove all bags from car for checking) then do temporary importation papers into thailand. its total chaos, but ppl very helpful and friendly. just smile a lot. i was so blur that this customs police man took all my documents and had it processed ahead of the queue... once you clear all that, you gotta buy insurance from a series of vendors just after customs.

http://www.thaivisa.com/388.0.html

i felt it was safe being in thailand. we had a great time and will do it again.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hotels in Hatyai are generally safe if you observe the usual precautions.
Get a decal from your neighbourhood mosque and paste it prominently across your windscreen (buy one from Geylang Serai market if you're not a muslim)....... 100% very safe and you'll find the local populace will be more friendlier and helpful towards you.

There is no customs in Hatyai..... they are located at the Bukit Kayu Hitam/Sadao border crossing. Save yourself the stress and hassle of clearing immigration/customs on both sides by paying a guide to do the paperwork for you. Cost only RM10.00 per vehicle. Go to the carpark in front of the duty-free complex, there are some tables set up and these guides hang around there. They will do the paperwork and accompany you across the border to Danok. Do note the border crossing operates from 6.00am to 23.59pm (local time).

Dun be in a hurry to reach Bangkok.... enjoy your drive up by making detours to Krabi, Hua Hin etc..... there are many pleasant places in Southern Thailand to explore.

Good luck and Bon Yoyage :biggrin:

Starving.Artist

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh and don't forget to detour to the little market at Prachap Kiri Kan which is at the border of Burma and Thailand. it was an interesting little place. its at the narrowest point of thailand

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
I took the bus from Butterworth to Hatyai, and then to Bangkok.

Sadao border crossing custom asked for MYR 2.00.

By the time I got to Bangkok, water retention had my legs bloated.

Worse, you might get deep vein thrombosis.

Better to take the night train, bro. Then you can lay down.

I took the bus because the train didn't run. Almost got lost in Siam.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
NixonRoad-TaoistSaying.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are better off not buying that GPS crap and fly by air to Bang Cock !

You've spent too much time in Spore :smile:

Must learn to relax in the slow lane.

My most memorable holiday was when driving around in Canada/USA or walking/taking a trains in Europe:rolleyes:

shortypants

Alfrescian
Loyal
Driving to bangkok

Bros, thanks so much for the info. I really really appreciate all that help. :smile:Do the Thais sell comprehensive insurance whereby I can claim for my own damages as well or only third party insurance? And do you suppose I could buy the comprehensive insurance from Singapore?

By the way, I intend to a few days trip outside Thailand, while leaving my car still in Thailand. Do you know if the Thai authorities are going to permit that?

Thks once again, bros.:biggrin:

Starving.Artist

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suppose you could ask them at the insurance counter if they do comprehensive. i guess not many ppl take that option... in regards to the leaving of the car in thailand.. when you enter you will state how long the car will be in thailand. so as long as the car exits by the date you stipulate it should be ok

Starving.Artist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bros, thanks so much for the info. I really really appreciate all that help. :smile:Do the Thais sell comprehensive insurance whereby I can claim for my own damages as well or only third party insurance? And do you suppose I could buy the comprehensive insurance from Singapore?

By the way, I intend to a few days trip outside Thailand, while leaving my car still in Thailand. Do you know if the Thai authorities are going to permit that?

Thks once again, bros.:biggrin:

BTW where would you go outside thailand? cambodia? Laos? you can drive there too you know

isg3003

I suppose you could ask them at the insurance counter if they do comprehensive. i guess not many ppl take that option... in regards to the leaving of the car in thailand.. when you enter you will state how long the car will be in thailand. so as long as the car exits by the date you stipulate it should be ok

you buy comprehensive insurance in sg and buy 3rd party at the border. BTW your Q are too basic, suggest u drive up to hatyai first b4 deciding all the way to bkk

shortypants

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thks dear bros. Thank you very much. I may go with my Thai colleagues to China while having my holiday in Thailand, thats why I got to leave my car there a few days. Do know which company in Singapore sells temporary comprehensive insurance that covers Thailand for duration of my vacation. e.g one month.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
fly to hamburg, rent a bmw and drive all the way from germany to italy.
you have speed
and mountains and rivers.

drive to thailand.
shit idea.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
fly to hamburg, rent a bmw and drive all the way from germany to italy.
you have speed
and mountains and rivers.

drive to thailand.
shit idea.

bro, you can not find Somdet Wat Rakang (Roypee edition) and a Luang por lersi Lingdam amulet in hamburg or milan :(