• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do you like Crave Nasi Lemak? I find it average. Your opinion?

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
S$1 nasi lemak in Toa Payoh almost closed, but sincere customer demand kept it going

1596162038610.png

The most famous nasi lemak in Singapore is arguably the traditional S$1 variety found at Block 20 Toa Payoh Lorong 7.

1596162097005.png

nasi-lemak-toa-payoh.jpg

The humble nasi lemak sold there is made up of coconut rice with fish, egg, cucumber and sambal chilli.

Most amazing of all is that its S$1 price has remained unchanged in 32 years

Run by makcik

The food stall Kedai Makan Muhajirin is run by Zaliah Ishak.

She almost closed her stall down in December 2018.

This was after her stall's unit at Block 18, Lorong 7 shut down after she received a notice to move out of the premises.

Zaliah took it as a chance to retire.

She revealed in a Our Grandfather Story video: "I didn't want to sell anymore."

Customers love it

But many customers contacted her, asking questions.

These include, "Where are you auntie? I want to eat your S$1 nasi lemak," as well as "How are we going to find S$1 nasi lemak?"

The stall owner added: "My husband also encouraged me to continue. He said it's better if we work. If we work every day, our health will not deteriorate."

Not only did the stall carry on operating, it remained in the vicinity of the original outlet.

Kedai Makan Muhajirin reopened at block 20, a stone's throw away.

The stall serves 300 to 500 portions of nasi lemak in half a day.

Queues often stretch outside the coffee shop.

Low cost food for elderly residents

The stall also sells mee rebus, mee siam and lontong at S$2.50.

Food sold at low prices are to cater to the elderly residents in the estate.

Zaliah also said money is secondary: "Money alone cannot make us happy. The satisfaction that we get from running our business comes from being sincere. This is very important to me."

What's more important is customer satisfaction.

"It's true that I get tired, but I like what I am doing," she said in the interview.

"When people get to eat my food every day, I feel happy and motivated."

Zaliah said her daughter-in-law Nana Azlina is set to take over the business and has been told to keep nasi lemak at S$1.

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's not bad, definitely above average, but prices have now risen to ridiculous levels.

The cheapest plate is now $5.90 with a choice of either a cheap selar fish or 1 chicken wing. The fish fillet option has shrunk to a size that's like 2 pieces of supermarket slim bird's eye fish finger. That same portion only costs $3 in a coffee shop or hawker stall.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I find nothing great just above average but sinkies are suckers.
But this crave got some Adam Road heritage I heard. Might as well go Adam Road eat the real deal

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's not bad, definitely above average, but prices have now risen to ridiculous levels.

The cheapest plate is now $5.90 with a choice of either a cheap selar fish or 1 chicken wing. The fish fillet option has shrunk to a size that's like 2 pieces of supermarket slim bird's eye fish finger. That same portion only costs $3 in a coffee shop or hawker stall.
Agree. Sadly most of the money customers pay for the packet goes to capitaland reit owners.
It's a stupid system but here to stay.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
My grandmother can cook better nasi lemak than them anytime. Too bad she's gone. I will try asking her for her secret recipe when she comes back for a visit next month. :biggrin:

kelvin

Alfrescian
Loyal
nothing beats those 50 sens nasi lemak wrapped in banana leaves across the causeway- the rice is rich in flavors, the ikan bilis sambal is heavenly and the dish is complete with one sunny side up.

I have a colleage from JB.
Buys RM2 comes with egg, ikan billis,
ikan selar, sambal goreng and bekedil.

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
for whatever reason I just don't agree with using basmati rice for nasi lemak or any other dishes that require rice...the taste snd texture is just not right..thai jasmine rice still the best followed by jap short grain, vietnam is not fragrant but for whatever reason less affected by humidity esp leaving it overnight for fried rice

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nasi Lemak must come in original kampung style wrapped in banana leaf with sambal, ikan bilis, small piece of omelette n a cucumber.
I will not eat nasi lemak where u pick n choose your side dishes n served on a plate. This is not authentic nasi lemak.